Deal Breakers. What makes you "walk" away?

Well...

I'm the type of guy who puts raiders down
Where settlements are well, you know that I'm around
I build 'em and I save 'em 'cause to me they're all the same
The general of the Minutemen, an they don't even know my name

They call me the wanderer
Yeah, the wanderer
I roam around, around, around

Oh well, there's Cait on my left and there's piper on my right
And Curie is the girl with that I'll be with tonight
And when she asks me, which one I love the best?
I tear open my vault suit I got Shuan on my chest

'Cause I'm the wanderer
Yeah, the wanderer

Oh well, I roam from town to town
I join factions without a care
I barely know what's going down
With my two fists of iron and I'm going nowhere

I'm the type of guy that likes to roam arounds
I joined the BOS, and now I make racist sounds
And when maxsons bitching at me, like a little girl
I hop right into my power armour and run around the world

Yeah I'm the wanderer
Yeah, the wanderer

Oh yeah, I'm the type of guy that goes underground
I walked the freedom trail, I roam from town to town
And when I find a faction, that treats me the same
The only difference is they let me pick my own name

They call me the wanderer
Yeah, the wanderer

'Cause I'm a wanderer
Yeah, a wanderer

'Cause I'm a wanderer
Yeah, a wanderer

You know what really turns me off from a good RP?

When you set a certain standard.. but people just want to fulfill their fantasies of being a mega-macho-super-soldier-commando-Master-Chief-Commander

Like to a point where they just don't fit in with the rest of the party, they're that off the rails.

I really enjoy the Valkyria Chronicles aesthetic and the lore of it's generic European layout. Furthermore I liked that the main characters were ordinary people that volunteered to fight for their country in it's time of need, they weren't spec-ops commandos that speak only in hand-signals and one liners nor are they grizzly veterans from multiple wars with 'experience' being their sole character trait. These were teachers, bakers, farmers, bank clerks, mechanics and many other walks of life. They weren't particularly well trained but things are never perfect in a world at war.

So you've got your rag-tag group of militia all ready to step off and skirmish through some woodland areas in search of a enemy camp.. and then there's -that guy- who has a character with xyz qualifications, spent 20 years on the frontline, customized their weapon beyond recognition, carries enough ammunition and explosives to level a city block, manages to out-pace and out-skill everyone they come across ~ obviously taking no prisoners.. because why would they even bother to do something nice at this point?.. Running around, critiquing the other members of the team for being novices, cowards for taking cover and avoiding a open fight and just.. being.. the.. worst.. *Sigh*

This has become such a problem for me that I haven't opened a RP in months now, I want to do something I enjoy writing about but it's difficult to find a balance of allowing characters to express and explore their situations.. and clawing back at those that want to take on the world by themselves.. It's a group RP after all.

To get this thread back on topic and save me from any more possible headaches, if a thread title is something along the lines of "x rp" or "x rp, anyone?" then I don't even bother clicking the thread. Unfortunately this seems to be a new trend.

When you set a certain standard.. but people just want to fulfill their fantasies of being a mega-macho-super-soldier-commando-Master-Chief-Commander

Like to a point where they just don't fit in with the rest of the party, they're that off the rails.

I really enjoy the Valkyria Chronicles aesthetic and the lore of it's generic European layout. Furthermore I liked that the main characters were ordinary people that volunteered to fight for their country in it's time of need, they weren't spec-ops commandos that speak only in hand-signals and one liners nor are they grizzly veterans from multiple wars with 'experience' being their sole character trait. These were teachers, bakers, farmers, bank clerks, mechanics and many other walks of life. They weren't particularly well trained but things are never perfect in a world at war.

So you've got your rag-tag group of militia all ready to step off and skirmish through some woodland areas in search of a enemy camp.. and then there's -that guy- who has a character with xyz qualifications, spent 20 years on the frontline, customized their weapon beyond recognition, carries enough ammunition and explosives to level a city block, manages to out-pace and out-skill everyone they come across ~ obviously taking no prisoners.. because why would they even bother to do something nice at this point?.. Running around, critiquing the other members of the team for being novices, cowards for taking cover and avoiding a open fight and just.. being.. the.. worst.. *Sigh*

This has become such a problem for me that I haven't opened a RP in months now, I want to do something I enjoy writing about but it's difficult to find a balance of allowing characters to express and explore their situations.. and clawing back at those that want to take on the world by themselves.. It's a group RP after all.
At least with that braindead moron you can injure or one shot them because of being stupid. So many explosives that their body is technically covered in it? Right then, time to duck and cover! Covered in fifty exposed round bandoliers? Rest in pieces if you're not wearing earplugs next to em. Avoids going to cover due to a lack of self preservation? Here is a machine gun or a row of in-cover dudes, that may or may not be blind firing. Or using a hole drilled into a rock to aim and fire from.

If they fight over it, tell em to fuck right off. You're doing nothing wrong getting rid of the parasitic. Unless it's a trait that will change the moment they get injured, chances are they never will be despite being reckless. Three strikes [if over optimistic], you're out. They will drain you and the other players, and the work will suffer or die.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
now for something on topic with the thread I guess. So I don't get smited.

I guess another peeve of mine recently now would be people that expect me to be cool with them creating a murder hobo with no motivation, or it is directly on the CS and not a developing trait IC. While on the ages old ancient flip side, I get irked that only NPCs can die regardless of circumstance and logic, allowing players to be as reckless and godlike as they want to be if the story doesn't have a hyper antagonist, or the gm doesn't saintly ordain a random player to attempt to kill everyone else.

It just seems lazy or as an excuse, if the story doesn't involve a mcguffin or some such to keep PCs alive. At least an MMO setting makes sense as you respawn, but some stories still found ways, or the players got so roflstomped and lost their work that they take off the gear, and walk out of seven story windows.

While on the ages old ancient flip side, I get irked that only NPCs can die regardless of circumstance and logic, allowing players to be as reckless and godlike as they want to be if the story doesn't have a hyper antagonist, or the gm doesn't saintly ordain a random player to attempt to kill everyone else.
While I'm not one to god mod I also don't like killing my characters unless I specifically intend to (I worked hard on them, man). So I guess I just rely on the age old "they managed to roll out of the way of the falling boulder just in time" or, if I want to be a bit more serious, "they've been shot in the shoulder but everything else is somehow fine, if a little dirty, so they'll live and worst case scenario we're saying goodbye to that arm."

Then again, I also write characters with survival instincts (or, occasionally, super durability. You gotta make sure your superhero can survive being thrown into a building) so there's that.

While I'm not one to god mod I also don't like killing my characters unless I specifically intend to (I worked hard on them, man). So I guess I just rely on the age old "they managed to roll out of the way of the falling boulder just in time" or, if I want to be a bit more serious, "they've been shot in the shoulder but everything else is somehow fine, if a little dirty, so they'll live and worst case scenario we're saying goodbye to that arm."

Then again, I also write characters with survival instincts (or, occasionally, super durability. You gotta make sure your superhero can survive being thrown into a building) so there's that.
My problem is when someone is in a situation or get themselves intentionally stuffed into it, and with no way out or broke or blew it off, they still find a way to survive by themselves. If it can be logically explained, then handwaved away, it isn't my problem.

If a player is also captured by another and isn't in the ability to get out of it, it also irks me but lesser so, when they can't just even injure them even when they have millions of reasons to want to do it. But at least then you can just lock the guy up in a dungeon or even seal it with concrete and block up openings. Then the captured character legally isn't killed by the other guy, but can be harmed or killed by starvation, thirst, or suffocation.

If they or a mod still keeps them alive unless it is a RP involving magic and gods, then it's time to call up the murderous princess with a shotgun, we got some parasites to cleanse. -oh sorry, I mean "reincarnate."
9d9.png

This isn't even exclusive to things with a military as the main draw of the RP (though I think it's worse that case because a lot of media about war is anti-war.) This has happened at least five times in the multi-fandom RPs I've helped run, because for some reason, people think their generic soldier OC is more interesting than the canon characters from other fandoms.
What really gets me is that there's this overwhelming feeling of those sorts of people looking down at everyone else. I already hate that feeling when I think the people are better writers than me. I don't need some schnook that thinks they're Dan Abnett doing it to me.

This isn't even exclusive to things with a military as the main draw of the RP (though I think it's worse that case because a lot of media about war is anti-war.) This has happened at least five times in the multi-fandom RPs I've helped run, because for some reason, people think their generic soldier OC is more interesting than the canon characters from other fandoms.
What really gets me is that there's this overwhelming feeling of those sorts of people looking down at everyone else. I already hate that feeling when I think the people are better writers than me. I don't need some schnook that thinks they're Dan Abnett doing it to me.

Oh boy do I have some beef with characters that take a instant dislike to someone else... right in the beginning posts..

Now, whilst I don't expect everyone to get along perfectly with each other, I do find it rather tedious when sudden objections randomly pop up with little to no context or a lack of solid foundations for this amount of hate towards another character. As you have also mentioned about characters being 'holier than thou' towards others, I too have had experience with this and I certainly feel the same as you feel about it, it's unfair at the best of times and downright obnoxious to those on the receiving end. It can work in certain circumstances but only if it's managed well (i.e, alot of conversations in the OOC). Take Gimli and Legolas from the LOTR, in the beginning they had a natural distrust to one another but it didn't get in the way of them fighting alongside each other in the face of evil, they absolutely had some back and forth banter, competitions, bragging and so on but it never came to blows or anything serious. ~ That's how i'd like to see most if not all quarrels to play out but I feel that some folk only want to win, beat down whoever they've decided to take a disliking to and generally being out-right hostile to any and all with little to no provocations required to kickstart a outburst of threats, swears and promises.

I'll 'walk away' from any plot that's asking me to write 2+ people who are obsessed with and clamoring over the OP's character. Not saying this is inherently wrong to ask for, but it's a turn off for me. I find these people aren't usually interested in my characters' development or arcs.

Edit: Though sometimes I write myself into this situation intentionally. I feel differently if it's organic and not asked of me.

I dunno. I once had a sharkdude bite down on one of my angry cyborg guy's armcannons and hold it in his mouth while taking hot loads of plasma and huge bullets back of his throat for 3 posts straight and i didn't walk away until he jumped into water and i just electrocuted us both to end that awkward situation.

Though admittedly, i'm lazier these days.

Last edited:
Compatibility. If I feel like we aren't gonna mesh, I'll drop it. I have one main rp and we're gushing ooc constantly-that's gonna live. Neither of us are excited I'm gonna stay away.

Standard stuff, really.
- Giving me nothing to work with: if they're only replying to what I'm setting up without hefting their weight by giving me something to write with as well, I'm out. This is supposed to be a collaborative effort, not me writing a 'choose your own adventure' novel for you.

- Excessive control of my character: Unpopular opinion, but with a good partner idc if they do minor controls of my character that are not character breaking. But start writing dialogue for me or having my character do full actions without checking with me and it's adios.

- Excessively poor grammar/spelling: we all make mistakes, I don't care if typos slip in now and then or your commas are occasionally a mess/misused. However, when it's all one run on sentence without end or there are a ton of spelling mistakes it takes me completely out of the story and I'm unlikely to be able to get back in.

- Bad Characters: If it's a Mary-Sue/Gary-Stu with no background, no real personality, and no depth at all then I'm out. I can't get invested in stories where I don't love the characters my partner(s) are writing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back