Deal Breakers. What makes you "walk" away?

Sometimes it's just the other players writing style that can be a put off. I don't usually just cut and leave over that though. In that kind of situation I think I would just minimize my characters interaction with that player and try to steer my character where my muse will be stronger.

The quickest way to make me leave would defiantly have to be responses that are brief, dull, and contain very little to move the RP forward.
This probably just comes down to my preference to play with other players who are at least at a similar skill level. But, if your posts are giving me nothing to respond to, a lot of the fun is sapped right out of the RP.

Oh, I didn't mean that dialogue happening exactly on this website. People never asked me about any erotic content here, and I appreciate it. Just as a random thing from the top of my head of how things can develop.

I just like to give people the heads up because a lot of people aren't aware of the erotic content rules on this site. It's a strict ban. You can't post erotic content in threads or pms. You can't encourage people to do erotic content off-site either.

Like you I find this very refreshing so I like to let people know - hey if you see it report it. It helps keep this an erotic free zone.

I just like to give people the heads up because a lot of people aren't aware of the erotic content rules on this site. It's a strict ban. You can't post erotic content in threads or pms. You can't encourage people to do erotic content off-site either.

I read the rules of the website I join. C: sure, might've missed a few things after reading so much, but they made a big point here about the place being PG-13.
Still, just in case: that's not what happened on this website, no one was breaking the rules for asking me this, it was just an example I came up improvising on the spot.

uuuuugh it’s a shame when this happens
> people who won’t plot/talk ooc at all. like i get that people are busy, but damn.
> people who expect novels every post—listen. l i s t e n. i’ve been roleplaying for almost 15 years and i can post long posts, but a 1k+ word count expectation for every post??? am i playing 4 characters? i can write a book on my own. quality over quantity every time.
> people who refuse to develop characters at all. listen if they’re canon characters, cool, but what are we roleplaying for if not to explore these characters more? like??
> on that note: people who play canon characters and somehow turn them into...themselves. if i’m talking to you ooc and you start playing a canon TOTALLY against their character but i pick up on you turning them into yourself....idk. that’s a little too much for me. :/

I read the rules of the website I join. C: sure, might've missed a few things after reading so much, but they made a big point here about the place being PG-13.
Still, just in case: that's not what happened on this website, no one was breaking the rules for asking me this, it was just an example I came up improvising on the spot.

I wasn't saying you didn't read the rules. I was clarifying a point that a lot of people mistake. So the more ways it can be brought up the less people will be unaware that it's a thing.

I understand that it didn't happen on this site. I am saying that if you notice something like that on this site you should report it.

How... do they even start the RP then?
>Make character
>Get character accepted
>Start roleplaying
While OOC isn't really required, it certainly can enhance the experience.

To add to the thread; If I see that a gm is running multiple RPs at once, I'll be a lot more hesitant to join, because chances are, they'll end up burning themselves out and quitting.

Last edited:
> on that note: people who play canon characters and somehow turn them into...themselves. if i’m talking to you ooc and you start playing a canon TOTALLY against their character but i pick up on you turning them into yourself....idk. that’s a little too much for me. :/
I've experienced something similar, except it was the player's emotional baggage the characters were adopting. As in, the player was having a bad day OOC, so now her totally laid-back character who was happy a moment ago is trying to start beef with mine out of the blue.

on that note: people who play canon characters and somehow turn them into...themselves. if i’m talking to you ooc and you start playing a canon TOTALLY against their character but i pick up on you turning them into yourself....idk. that’s a little too much for me. :/

that reminds me of a time when i was on another site with a dragon age role play and this person completely ruined fenris. like. they made him soft and cuddly. i can't stand it and it makes me a lil' upset to know that this is somewhat common.

it’s super wild to me that so many people have encountered the same issue. like... i get that writing should be cathartic, and i know it can be a fun escape for a while, but like....that’s what OCs are for ??

Personally, I don't like working with one-liners. I like having something to go off of, and when the only response I get is as long as a snapchat message then I'm usually either trying to help them improve their work(Since I was once in a similar position) or trying to leave. Additionally, I don't like it when people start running off on interactions between two characters, or immediately reply in a group after every other post someone they're with will make. It gives the rest of us little chance to respond.

Great thread. This is really helpful to get a glimpse of the writing styles and taste variations on the site.

I've got preferences like everyone else for starting an RP, but once I've made an arrangement with someone, there are only a few things that can break the deal. The worst, for me: invasive nosiness in a partner. People who are really pushy about collecting personal details about muns bug me. It's one thing to become irl friends over the course of writing a long story together, but I'm a private person and I find it gross and suspicious when people want to know my profession, life details, etc., when we're nearly complete strangers. What the heck does my day job have to do with anything I write?! (Except for kiddos who don't feel comfortable rping with adults, of course. That kind of screening I totally understand and respect.)

My other deal-breaker is when someone's characters just aren't interactive at all. It should never be one writer's responsibility to carry the whole plot. Characters who are shy, quiet, passive, or otherwise reticent don't have to be wooden, ya know?

prolly anything that has fantasy themes when its in the realistic section, so damn annoying

That’s actually how they separate genres on this site. Realistic just means it takes place in a version of the real world. That can mean superheroes or magical elements and still be counted as realistic on this site.

Fantasy is more defined as a roleplay taking place in a world that is entirely made up. Not necessarily just a world with fantasy elements ( although certainly most of the rps in this section do have those elements )

A good way of looking at it is

Game of Thrones would be fantasy because it takes place in an entirely made up world. Harry Potter however would go to realistic because it take place in the real world even though it’s about a hidden magical society.

( I mean obviously those are both fandoms but for the sake of example )

ah, i see, i dunno, i guess i've never really cared too much about fantasy themes like vampires, fairies etc

Lol that’s fine, I just wanted to clarify as it’s a part of the site a lot of people find confusing. They break everything up mostly by setting not like story elements.

So realistic = takes place in the real world with or without fantasy elements
Fantasy = takes place in made up world with fantasy elements
Futuristic = takes place in futuristic world or made up worlds without the fantasy elements
Fandom = uses element of estabislished fandom

Lol that’s fine, I just wanted to clarify as it’s a part of the site a lot of people find confusing. They break everything up mostly by setting not like story elements.

So realistic = takes place in the real world with or without fantasy elements
Fantasy = takes place in made up world with fantasy elements
Futuristic = takes place in futuristic world or made up worlds without the fantasy elements
Fandom = uses element of estabislished fandom

This is a super helpful breakdown for a newb like me; I hadn't picked up on the divisions yet, and it looks like I almost ended up tagging my interest check post incorrectly. Thanks for the explanation!

Maybe it's just me, but open roleplays that already have loads and loads of posts are really intimidating. Even if they look fun or inviting, I can't bring myself to post because I don't know what to say.

I kind of have this intelligent monster thing, who is practically mute. He can talk, but living alone for decades, he just... forgets he should. Cannot say someone has to drag a plot for him.

Yeah I think that what they meant wasn't so much as a character who couldn't vocalize as a character who didn't interact with others. Think more a loner or a character that does all their actions off screen but has to be dragged kicking and screaming through whatever the current scene of the roleplay is

I had a partner make a character like this. The character flat out refused to interact with my character unless I practically trapped him in a room with my character and made him interact with them. Most of their posts were long tangents about the character going to his job or dating his girlfriend or whatever. Like I mean one post doing that is fine but if you're spending more time writing about what your character is doing at their job than writing about the actual action of the roleplay than there is a problem.

It's the same with any like super passive character that pretty much lets all the action happen to them and doesn't take the time to actually move anything forward.

A mute character or a non-verbal character isn't really the same thing. Because that character can still interact with the action of the roleplay they just have to be a little more creative about it.

A loner/passive character CAN interact with others they CHOOSE not to.

Last edited:
Yeah I think that what they meant wasn't so much as a character who couldn't vocalize as a character who didn't interact with others.
Yeah, this was exactly the point I was trying to make. Although mute, he never drags behind the plot - he usually drags the plot. Like now *looks at his partner and grumbles*

Yeah, this was exactly the point I was trying to make. Although mute, he never drags behind the plot - he usually drags the plot. Like now *looks at his partner and grumbles*

fair enough. I think sometimes people just get like weird about mute characters. like making your character unable to talk means they have to be this dead weight on the rolepay. and it's like um no. mute people can communicate. or non-human sentient creatures or whatever the case may be.

the problem is more when your character is an annoying asshole who doesn't participate OR a doormat who doesn't participate. It's less a physical thing and more of a participation issue.

Really, I don't think the amount of dialogue a character spouts has much to do with how interactive they are. I've played with characters who say a ton, but who don't really interact meaningfully with anyone or anything in the plot, or contribute to story building.

A personal example of this would be one session I had where a player's character would sort of just... wander around, thinking random thoughts about their past, almost totally ignoring other characters and what was going on the the plot. The rest of us had to make special efforts to include them, but they seemed more interested in writing a character study by themselves than writing with us.

Players like that seem as if they're just there to watch their partners/group members put on a show, not participate. Makes me feel like I'm expected to dance around for them like a good little RP ballerina while they just blandly kick back and sip wine, you know?

You can, of course, interact richly with worlds and others without using words.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back