Deal Breakers. What makes you "walk" away?

• When people write long ass monologues that have nothing to do with the story. Like having their character have a full conversation with someone they created just for their character to talk to, leaving you awkward and uncomfortable with no idea what to do or say. It's annoying, like what the hell am I supposed to do??
  • People who godmod and make your characters do things for the sake of their own agenda in the rp without asking or even mentioning it.
  • Characters who are too perfect. Who are friends with everyone for no reason and who are also hot af etc...but don't have a single flaw. Like these characters don't even get sad about things because they "always look on the bright side"
  • In a group when people just ignore your existence because they happen to like other people in the group better so your character literally doesn't speak to anyone in the entire time you're in the group.
  • But on the other side of that when you're in a group having one specific storyline and someone tries to force their character into your storyline when they have no actual reason to be there (this is less of a walk away type thing but it pisses me off whoops)

Anything sexual has me nopeing the frick outta there.

Also, when GMs are brash, blunt or unfriendly. Would it kill you to treat me as a human?

There are several things that has caused me to 'walk away' from RPs I was involved in. I don't usually disappear though, but 'write my character out' and say as much in the OOC. the dealbreakers are inattentive co-writers who make it obvious they have read little if anything of previous posts. Another is OOC drama, and a third is attempts to overstructure by co-writers. Don't ask me to go back and edit one or more of my posts because the story flow doesn't fit into some pre conceived outcome you have in your head. That is only a few.

I'd like to add that I don't walk out of RPs after they have started. I walk out of RPs on the interest check phase. Result is the same though. I'm still out.

when the RP is dead and i tried to help revive it a minimum of 3-4 separate times. or when the RP dies in the first page.

when the RP is dead and i tried to help revive it a minimum of 3-4 separate times. or when the RP dies in the first page.
I know that feeling. In general I will try to revive RPs to the best of my ability. Unfourtanetly I tend to try to do this both in character and out of character and the actions required to revive the rp are often very out of character for my character.

When I spend the next four hours writing a post well above my natural post length, detail, and lexicon, and it continues the plot, and nobody else who is online even looks at it.
That RP died a long time ago though :(

Deal breakers for me? When things get needlessly complex, or when I turn my back and suddenly there are 200 unread posts in the RP. Seriously, give me a chance to catch up.

When people throw tantrums because the plot isn't going their way. Like I like to try to ask for feedback from my partners ( although I can sometimes get over-excited and sort of run with a prompt ).

And you'll get people that will just get all pouty because you dared to offer a plot suggestion. Like I mean if you have something in mind then TELL ME. Don't just sit there and pout because the suggestions I'm making aren't to your liking.

When people throw tantrums because the plot isn't going their way. Like I like to try to ask for feedback from my partners ( although I can sometimes get over-excited and sort of run with a prompt ).

And you'll get people that will just get all pouty because you dared to offer a plot suggestion. Like I mean if you have something in mind then TELL ME. Don't just sit there and pout because the suggestions I'm making aren't to your liking.
It seems that some people forget that Roleplaying is a team effort.

Go write a book if you want to have complete control over everything!

I think I haven't included that one last time I posted, buuut:

When people write "heavy topics", for instance mental illness (but also covers topics such as emotional/physical abuse, drug addiction, et cetera) but do zero research on it. Like, literally zero. I am totally fine with those topics, but please, please do your god damn research! I don't wanna see a schizophrenic dude whose "siilhuettes" he sees are helping him and that the voices are telling him that he's doing good ("Baby you're doing good xoxo"). COME ON. Or the traumatized gal who dealt with his/hers trauma by snipping with his/her fingers. No one is god damn forcing you to read fifty plus pages on the topic, but come on. At least try to research it. I don't mind if you'd like to try to play a character with a mental illness, but I require to have at least basic research.
Also, stereotypical characters with mental illnesses. A la "The depressed dude who is sad 24/7" Oh my god, no, stop, please!

Also: I chose mental illness as a topic because one of my favorite roleplays does cover it. Even if it is just partially.

Okay, I use the site's dark theme because it's easier on my eyes, so it becomes a bit of an annoyance if someone posts in a color that isn't easily readable on black. If I have to look closely, squint and even highlight text in a post, then I may not even give it the time of day. This may seem rude, but it's a problem I have from spending too much time looking at phone and laptop screens in the dark a few years back. That may also seem rude, and I apologise if it does.

Hmmmm... Mostly it's either if an Rp goes way too slow for me, like I don't know a post a day? Or too fast where like when I'm done writing my post everybody had already done like twenty things to which I have to edit my post again. I write like 2-3 paragraphs if I have quite a bit if stuff to make note of.

Another thing is usually where I can't use a drawn pic, like it has to be either described or a real life picture. I just don't like using real people as characters, I mean I'm not gonna berate a person who likes doing that it's just that I feel weird using real people.

And lastly this is more specific to dice and a situation I had in my own Rp a long time ago, is when when you roll, say like a critical hit, and you have to describe how a bandit with shit gear is able to do something that would be impossible in the current situation, just for special effects. Like say a raider from fallout 4 being able to shoot through a body or some cover with a pipe pistol. Anyways when you do that thing, the person who had got messed up gets all mad and starts saying that they can't do that, that it's impossible. They give out this huge hissy fit and leave, which then kills off the Rp. I don't know, it's something that really did happen to me, and even after that, they quoted my post in another thread to bad mouth me and basically to make me look bad. It really put off dice Rps for me for a long time.

Really needy requirements for no reason. Like... just RP, don’t restrict yourself to how much you write or whatever! Don’t tell me to rewrite to add more detail like... no. No one has time for that.

Really needy requirements for no reason. Like... just RP, don’t restrict yourself to how much you write or whatever! Don’t tell me to rewrite to add more detail like... no. No one has time for that.

I'm usually the opposite problem. They're like O.O so many words. And I'm like I swear I cut out like a solid page. I had to edit it four times to get it THIS short.

I need like a beta reader for my rp posts sometimes I swear. Someone to help me trim the fat.

I'm usually the opposite problem. They're like O.O so many words. And I'm like I swear I cut out like a solid page. I had to edit it four times to get it THIS short.

I need like a beta reader for my rp posts sometimes I swear. Someone to help me trim the fat.

iiiiiiiiii could possibly help with that, I’d love to be a beta reader!

I might take you up on that on my pokemon-inspired sci-fi story. The other rp I'm in I am reasonably able to keep things in check by sticking to direct communication. But the pokemon-inspired one is a fish out of water story and I tend to get a little wordy. ( seriously might go through at least two major edits per reply )

I might take you up on that on my pokemon-inspired sci-fi story. The other rp I'm in I am reasonably able to keep things in check by sticking to direct communication. But the pokemon-inspired one is a fish out of water story and I tend to get a little wordy. ( seriously might go through at least two major edits per reply )

Yikes. I only do a brief read through and then send, two major edits is a lot.

It's usually when I notice I'm on page three/four and should probably start shortening the length ( Edit A ) and then again when I hit my magic proof reading app and realize hey I used a lot of redundant words oops ( Edit B ).

Futuristic - Storms Of Destiny ( IC ) < - the thread. where you can see my inability to limit myself beyond three pages in action. I keep saying I swear they won't always be this long. But then I think....so much exposition bits still to come.

It's usually when I notice I'm on page three/four and should probably start shortening the length ( Edit A ) and then again when I hit my magic proof reading app and realize hey I used a lot of redundant words oops ( Edit B ).

Futuristic - Storms Of Destiny ( IC ) < - the thread. where you can see my inability to limit myself beyond three pages in action. I keep saying I swear they won't always be this long. But then I think....so much exposition bits still to come.

Hahaha that’s a lot! There are people who are all for people who write a lot, but I never knew people thought others could write too much.

Hahaha that’s a lot! There are people who are all for people who write a lot, but I never knew people thought others could write too much.

I think it's a taste thing. I mean my partner doesn't mind but I am just like... I know this is a lot of fluff and I would welcome the ability to edit it down without just starting from scratch several times.

I think it's a taste thing. I mean my partner doesn't mind but I am just like... I know this is a lot of fluff and I would welcome the ability to edit it down without just starting from scratch several times.

You should try limited writing exercises. Like, write about scenery but only using one paragraph.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back