Deal Breakers. What makes you "walk" away?

Different contexts. In the context of many roleplay sites literate does not mean able to read and write but more able to write a specific amount of words.

On a site I was on before this that was basically the roleplay categories ( instead of detailed / casual / simple ).

Advance/Elite Literate ( very detailed ) - must be able to write at least five paragraphs, have page long character sheets, and make pretty post layouts. Bonus if you could contribute to the plot and world building.

Literate ( detailed ) - must be able to write at least three paragraphs, have detailed character sheet, make pretty posts, and help with the world building and plot.

Semi-Literate ( casual ) - usually at least a paragraph per post, some kind of character sheet, decent grammar, and optional involvement in world building or the plot.

Casual ( simple ) - write whatever you want, quick roleplay with little planning but open to anyone who wanted to join.​
Huh. You know, that explains a lot. I keep using casual when I just mean semi-literate.

Different contexts. In the context of many roleplay sites literate does not mean able to read and write but more able to write a specific amount of words.

On a site I was on before this that was basically the roleplay categories ( instead of detailed / casual / simple ).

Advance/Elite Literate ( very detailed ) - must be able to write at least five paragraphs, have page long character sheets, and make pretty post layouts. Bonus if you could contribute to the plot and world building.

Literate ( detailed ) - must be able to write at least three paragraphs, have detailed character sheet, make pretty posts, and help with the world building and plot.

Semi-Literate ( casual ) - usually at least a paragraph per post, some kind of character sheet, decent grammar, and optional involvement in world building or the plot.

Casual ( simple ) - write whatever you want, quick roleplay with little planning but open to anyone who wanted to join.​

So it went full circle and top-tier is just Eliterate?

When you ask legitimate questions to try to make your character fit into the rp as well as possible and the gm just gives you half assed answers like he doesnt care if you join at all.

Huh. You know, that explains a lot. I keep using casual when I just mean semi-literate.

Well it would be casual on this site. I was just trying to give you a sort of side by side comparison of the literate roleplay chart with the one they use on this site. Just so you can sort of make the conversion in your head ( literate = detailed || semi literate = casual ).

Now I would double check with the person to make sure their definitions are the same because there can be some variation between individuals on what exactly constitutes literate vs. semi-literate vs. advanced literate.

So it went full circle and top-tier is just Eliterate?

In most cases on my old site yeah. I mean not all the people who were advanced where necessarily jerks about it but they did tend to have some really crazy requirements for their roleplay.

A lot of it boils down to the GM/s. I just came back from retirement from roleplaying and boy was I reminded of it. I don't know why, but many GMs either controlled too much or too little.

Too much control, and it results in railroading and a lack of avenues for creativity. The RP becomes one-dimensional because it's based on the personality of one (or two). Overall, you might as well be a copywriter working for him... For free.

Too little control, and the RP basically balloons with cancer cells. That's when weird and out-of-place CSes start to appear (which are all accepted regardless), enrollment into the RP balloons out of control, cliques start to form amongst the players, and a high drop-out rate will ensue because of the high population in the first place.

Obvious mod power abuse (as appropriate) or jackassery is an instant no-go for me. These are the people setting the example for everyone else; if they still can't be bothered to act like decent human beings, I already know for sure that I'm not going to be happy there long term.

I personally tend to avoid sexually active roleplays as well - too often it turns into the primary or sole goal of the RP and it's not really my thing so rather than hash their groove I'd rather just step out immediately yanno? That, and some guys get pretty....... attached... based on RP sexings lmao.

A lot of it boils down to the GM/s. I just came back from retirement from roleplaying and boy was I reminded of it. I don't know why, but many GMs either controlled too much or too little.

Too much control, and it results in railroading and a lack of avenues for creativity. The RP becomes one-dimensional because it's based on the personality of one (or two). Overall, you might as well be a copywriter working for him... For free.

Too little control, and the RP basically balloons with cancer cells. That's when weird and out-of-place CSes start to appear (which are all accepted regardless), enrollment into the RP balloons out of control, cliques start to form amongst the players, and a high drop-out rate will ensue because of the high population in the first place.
I have that too little control problem. I hate telling people no. And it's really annoying when people make completely crazy CS's in an attempt to get around whatever rules I have in place if any.

Obvious mod power abuse (as appropriate) or jackassery is an instant no-go for me. These are the people setting the example for everyone else; if they still can't be bothered to act like decent human beings, I already know for sure that I'm not going to be happy there long term.

I personally tend to avoid sexually active roleplays as well - too often it turns into the primary or sole goal of the RP and it's not really my thing so rather than hash their groove I'd rather just step out immediately yanno? That, and some guys get pretty....... attached... based on RP sexings lmao.

Blessed that kind of stuff is banned from this site so if anyone asks you for it on here you can just report them and move on with your life. Not only do they not bother you but they don't get to bother other people either.

I have that too little control problem. I hate telling people no. And it's really annoying when people make completely crazy CS's in an attempt to get around whatever rules I have in place if any.
I never have enough turnout for saying no to become an option. It's either say yes or the RP is a 1x1. And hey, we're all here to learn and improve, no? So let them join. And teach them to not self-insert in the future.

I never have enough turnout for saying no to become an option. It's either say yes or the RP is a 1x1. And hey, we're all here to learn and improve, no? So let them join. And teach them to not self-insert in the future.
I suppose I could always say no and try to help them make a better CS.

When a character is so antisocial I basically have to turn mine into a socially inept annoyance to have any sort of interaction with them - in a 1x1.

I don't 1x1 because that puts a lot of pressure on me and them. I'm here to have fun! If I'm not here for a day, someone else can come in and interact.
Though, if a lot of people are constantly away, and it becomes just my character next to just the one active guy's character, it gets uncomfortable fast. But the last time that happened I still had fun because it was my Splatoon RP. (Shameless self-plug if you're interested, Agent Agent and I are getting a bit lonely)

Last edited:
When the rp has some kind of pointless and needlessly complicated fighting mechanic because the GM doesn't trust the players to be mature enough to handle battles on their own.

Remind me never to 1x1. Ever.

In fairness that's a bit like finding a really surly unicorn. It isn't particularly common but when it happens it tends to stand out for the epic levels of suck.

1x1 roleplays tend to be pretty similar to regular roleplays in that the overall quality varies but the big difference is that you are forming a friendship with one person versus just acting as one part of a larger story.

If I had to say the most common dealbreaker for roleplay is actually romance. If you aren't into romance being in your roleplay your going to find slim pickings in 1x1 roleplays. Not to say that there are no platonic 1x1s but they're a lot less common.

One thing that makes me drop a rp faster than a hot dish is when, either during plotting or throughout the course of the actual rp, I feel like I'm pulling teeth to get ideas out of my partner. It's so frustrating when someone refuses to collaborate.

If I had to say the most common dealbreaker for roleplay is actually romance. If you aren't into romance being in your roleplay your going to find slim pickings in 1x1 roleplays. Not to say that there are no platonic 1x1s but they're a lot less common.

On the topic of romance, any rp where I feel romance is being forced is a no go. I don't like when characters are literally designed to fall for one another, because it makes me feel like my hand is being forced in one direction. Not to say I mind having romance be a planned aspect of the rp, but it does need to develop somewhat organically or else I just feel kinda icky.

My two big deal breakers are:
  • If the person is resistant, disinterested or standoffish in discussion (especially if they approached me).
  • If the person writes passive posts.

"Start at level mook."

I play RPGs to get away from boring sucky failstate real life.

That means I would like to actually get to use the superpowers this game is supposed to involve. I want to play fantasy adventure or whatever I was promised, not Mortals the Dysentery-ing.

There's not much that would turn me off from an RP IMMEDIATELY but... maybe enough for me to slowly begin making myself scarce...

-When people start pairing off, leaving your character with no one to interact. oop
-kind of related to the above, but in a group RP when something amazing or gamechanging is happening but due to not being able to get your character to interact (like a giant space battle and all others somehow become able to breathe in space suddenly, but yours can't) you're just kind of... stuck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back