Deal Breakers. What makes you "walk" away?

Well yeah I mean before the site changed :P

Ah that makes since. I was trying to figure out how anyone would require something that doesn't even exist. Like I'd totally leave a rp because - dude I'm not magic, I can't make something randomly appear just to suit you. 

Do you mean like you prefer one-liners or just that people who want like 5 billion paragraphs and perfect grammar turn you off? And for the manga/anime - is it you don't like those fandoms or you don't like it when people shove those tropes into roleplays where they don't belong?

Im not the so detailed...WELL WHEN I THINK ABOUT IT your right. Thanks for chaning my mind :]

Love triangles developing between loads of different characters, or when the roleplay develops into a 'pairing off' thing, where every character gets with another character because the two leading characters did it first. The roleplay could have had the most amazing plot which then subsequently gets lost under all that malarky. 

Godmoding in fights. Nothing, and I mean nothing  is more annoying than trying to write a fight scene against a character who apparently has the elasticated, animated body of the Mask. Literally everything other characters throw against the opposing figure misses, whilst the opposite apparently occurs when they hit your character - Instant K.O. No arguments.  

And lastly - when people are unable to differentiate between themselves and their character. Ie. My character makes a snarky remark at another character. The roleplayer then thinks I am insulting them personally and gets all offended. Or, if you are playing a 'bad guy' and people automatically think you are just the same callous, prink-ish jerk as your fictional character. 

Godmoding in fights. Nothing, and I mean nothing  is more annoying than trying to write a fight scene against a character who apparently has the elasticated, animated body of the Mask. Literally everything other characters throw against the opposing figure misses, whilst the opposite apparently occurs when they hit your character - Instant K.O. No arguments. 

Thats why did never fight in the coluseum xD

I'm going to sound terribly snooty and rude, but here's the facts (on me at least.)

1: Anime Faceclaims/Tropes. Bugs me. Don't like it. No thank you. I tend to associate it with uncaring writing or lack of attention or detail to the rp. Personal thing, it might be just me.

2: Lack of detail. I myself can write anywhere from 2-10 paragraphs, but sometimes my 2 paragraph is way better than my 10. Quality over quantity, I get it. However, if I see one or two lines that are sitting there baldly under my 7 paragraphs, I gotta go. One paragraph? I get it. Writers block happens, or maybe I didn't provide enough detail to help you out. It happens, life goes on. But if theres just consistently 2 lines, the roleplay is over.

3: The OOC Community. If I see people in OOC chat being random and uncaring for real conversation, added with characters in the sign-up that are either horrifically undetailed or mysterious/godmodders OR anime faceclaims. I bounce outta there. No offense, but it would make everyone much happier for it.

4: This one just kind of bugs me, but it's when I'm scrolling through the 1x1 search and I keep seeing stuff like "Yaoi Search!" and all that. I'm not one to pass harsh judgement usually, but I really don't see the appeal. All that comes to mind when I see stuff like that is Boku no Pico. Sorry not sorry. Same goes with anime-style original rps too. I just think of girls walking up to their crush super nervously, and if the boy turns to say hello or greet her in any way, she just screams "BAKA!" and runs away. Like wtf man.

Apologies if this upset anybody, this is probably the most negative I've ever been on this site.

I'm going to sound terribly snooty and rude, but here's the facts (on me at least.)

1: Anime Faceclaims/Tropes. Bugs me. Don't like it. No thank you. I tend to associate it with uncaring writing or lack of attention or detail to the rp. Personal thing, it might be just me.

2: Lack of detail. I myself can write anywhere from 2-10 paragraphs, but sometimes my 2 paragraph is way better than my 10. Quality over quantity, I get it. However, if I see one or two lines that are sitting there baldly under my 7 paragraphs, I gotta go. One paragraph? I get it. Writers block happens, or maybe I didn't provide enough detail to help you out. It happens, life goes on. But if theres just consistently 2 lines, the roleplay is over.

3: The OOC Community. If I see people in OOC chat being random and uncaring for real conversation, added with characters in the sign-up that are either horrifically undetailed or mysterious/godmodders OR anime faceclaims. I bounce outta there. No offense, but it would make everyone much happier for it.

4: This one just kind of bugs me, but it's when I'm scrolling through the 1x1 search and I keep seeing stuff like "Yaoi Search!" and all that. I'm not one to pass harsh judgement usually, but I really don't see the appeal. All that comes to mind when I see stuff like that is Boku no Pico. Sorry not sorry. Same goes with anime-style original rps too. I just think of girls walking up to their crush super nervously, and if the boy turns to say hello or greet her in any way, she just screams "BAKA!" and runs away. Like wtf man.

Apologies if this upset anybody, this is probably the most negative I've ever been on this site.

*Clings possessively to my anime face claims* It's the only thing I can draw TT_TT I'm such a weeb.

Ha ha, but in all seriousness I think it's more of an age thing that leads most anime based roleplays to full of tropes. (Similarly, "yaoi" roleplays tend to be more immature and cliché when played by young/straight players) Though admittedly in most anime there are a billion tropes in every episode, experienced players tend to ditch them. I guess you can only write "her nose started to bleed" so many times before just starts sounding silly xD

Your comment actually brings to mind that face claims in general skeeve me out. Though of course I probably wouldn't have listed that in my original post anyways since it's near impossible to avoid a roleplay that has face claims. I can't afford to be that picky with what I join for a reason like that xD (and I know that not everyone wants to draw theirs, which if the only kind I like using).

Actually, funnily enough I'm the opposite of you and I'm more likely to avoid realistic face claims. I mean, I still drop a roleplay like a hot brick if I see "i-its not like I like you, baka!" or some such nonsense,  but realistic face claims really drives home the fact that (more often than not) every character is an attractive, Caucasian teen (or sometimes Korean or Japanese). If I see that I usually bail, but if I really want to join my character is usually Indian in protest. (Also because I know a lot of cool Indian people and I have a plethora of actors to use face claims of. I'm somewhat less pretended by the idea of using an actor as a face claim as I am using a regular person. I'm probably pretty stange in that way though, since I don't know anyone else who thinks like that.)

*Clings possessively to my anime face claims* It's the only thing I can draw TT_TT I'm such a weeb.

Ha ha, but in all seriousness I think it's more of an age thing that leads most anime based roleplays to full of tropes. (Similarly, "yaoi" roleplays tend to be more immature and cliché when played by young/straight players) Though admittedly in most anime there are a billion tropes in every episode, experienced players tend to ditch them. I guess you can only write "her nose started to bleed" so many times before just starts sounding silly xD

Your comment actually brings to mind that face claims in general skeeve me out. Though of course I probably wouldn't have listed that in my original post anyways since it's near impossible to avoid a roleplay that has face claims. I can't afford to be that picky with what I join for a reason like that xD (and I know that not everyone wants to draw theirs, which if the only kind I like using).

Actually, funnily enough I'm the opposite of you and I'm more likely to avoid realistic face claims. I mean, I still drop a roleplay like a hot brick if I see "i-its not like I like you, baka!" or some such nonsense,  but realistic face claims really drives home the fact that (more often than not) every character is an attractive, Caucasian teen (or sometimes Korean or Japanese). If I see that I usually bail, but if I really want to join my character is usually Indian in protest. (Also because I know a lot of cool Indian people and I have a plethora of actors to use face claims of. I'm somewhat less pretended by the idea of using an actor as a face claim as I am using a regular person. I'm probably pretty stange in that way though, since I don't know anyone else who thinks like that.)

Im maybe going to TRIGGER (XDDDDDDDDDDDDD) you in rage with this sentence if you aren't already:

''What's the diffrence between manga and anime anyways?''

Not joking.

I personally never use faceclaims and become skeptical when people do that. I mean, you took that character from someone, at least the appearance. You didn't create it yourself.

That's why I either use descriptions or my own crappy, a bit anime-styled art, like the example below

20160819_180601.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Im maybe going to TRIGGER (XDDDDDDDDDDDDD) you in rage with this sentence if you aren't already:

''What's the diffrence between manga and anime anyways?''

Not joking.

Manga = Japanese comics

Anime = Japanese animation

There are a bunch of different styles of both depending on the artist, but they overlap because often a manga will be redone in the same style as an anime. So saying "I draw anime style art" means the same thing as "I draw manga style art". ^_^

I personally never use faceclaims and become skeptical when people do that. I mean, you took that character from someone, at least the appearance. You didn't create it yourself.

I find literary descriptions are much more useful to my purposes. It's a word based activity anyways. Something I find hilarious is that appearance is asked for, but often one is also expected to use a face claim as well. It would be a turn off for me if it didn't happen in almost every single roleplay. An actual "deal breaker" for me would have to be something that suggested lazy or incompatible writing or play styles.

Last edited by a moderator:

If you ever need help I have like 90% of my pinterest dedicated to face claims - Art and Real people. I have a good selection of ages ( broken into Teen, Adult, Mature/Parent, Child, Sibling, Fantasy, Royal/Medieval for real face claims ) and I went out of my way to get as much diversity as possible.

Same for the art actually but there's only so much you can do with that fact that a lot of drawn people are caucasian or of a certain body type.

Dark and mysterious characters, that can see with something over their eyes, are perfectly strong and capable of killing 10 people at once, disrespect a king without consequences and be, like, 20 max AND  be lean and skinny like they never worked out in their life...really... that's just sooo unrealistic. 

*teleports behind you* *stabs you*

Shh nothing personnel kid 

*He detonates the S.L.A.M.s.

*Boom.

*He realizes nobody cares.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
───█───▄▀█▀▀█▀▄▄───▐█──────▄▀█▀▀█▀▄▄
──█───▀─▐▌──▐▌─▀▀──▐█─────▀─▐▌──▐▌─█▀
─▐▌──────▀▄▄▀──────▐█▄▄──────▀▄▄▀──▐▌
─█────────────────────▀█────────────█
▐█─────────────────────█▌───────────█
▐█─────────────────────█▌───────────█
─█───────────────█▄───▄█────────────█
─▐▌───────────────▀███▀────────────▐▌
──█──────────▀▄───────────▄▀───────█
───█───────────▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀────────█
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

If you ever need help I have like 90% of my pinterest dedicated to face claims - Art and Real people. I have a good selection of ages ( broken into Teen, Adult, Mature/Parent, Child, Sibling, Fantasy, Royal/Medieval for real face claims ) and I went out of my way to get as much diversity as possible.

Same for the art actually but there's only so much you can do with that fact that a lot of drawn people are caucasian or of a certain body type.

I meant more that all the characters people choose to play are all teenaged white people, but thanks ^_^ I might take you up on that sometime if I ever get stuck. (Though to be entirely honest, sometimes I just say "I'll add a picture later" and pretend to forget about it if I can't find a good one ;P ) It's cool that you've got entire selections of it already laid out though. Normally I just go to google and peruse it for an hour until I find something suitable. Or I draw it if anime style is allowed, since that's the style I stick to, and drawing allows more variation. I can't do that when realism is demanded though, hence why I'm marginally less likely to join a roleplay that requires realistic face claims (though I still join if it looks very good).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back