Deal Breakers. What makes you "walk" away?

Controlling my character(s) is a BIG no-no for me. Another pet peeve is Changing the tone of a Roleplay halfway through for example if the Roleplay starts off a light Hearted Comedy and then all of a sudden throwing in Zombies out of the blue (I like zombie Roleplay I'm just making an example) those are the only 2 things that can make me completely walk away from a Roleplay.

Posting reactions for others' characters is violation of the most basic roleplay etiquette I can think of. I could almost excuse it if it's a 1x1 with a trusted friend, who knows where the lines are and what might be acceptable, but aside of that? No. Not even once.

I could almost excuse it if it's a 1x1 with a trusted friend, who knows where the lines are and what might be acceptable

When you do 1x1 sometimes it's very difficult to not assume things. If we wait for an RSVP to every invitation and not at least sometimes make the assumption that the other character is on board, then we get into a lot of pointless writing for nothing. The plot has to move. xD

Mmm, sounds like another item to add to the list. Not that one specifically, but what it made me think of.

Powergamers.

Never mind the story, never mind the character or his background, never mind his goals, hopes, dreams, etc...just as long as I get me some o' dat power. You know the one: Whatever your character does, he can't possibly be as strong, or ever hope to stand up to him. He's lightyears beyond you, and you'll never catch up.

I haven't met a single person, outside of the co-dependency wing, who would find that interesting or enjoyable in the least. Make a cool character, for sure, but...keep it under 9,000, yes?

Mmm, sounds like another item to add to the list. Not that one specifically, but what it made me think of.

Powergamers.

Never mind the story, never mind the character or his background, never mind his goals, hopes, dreams, etc...just as long as I get me some o' dat power. You know the one: Whatever your character does, he can't possibly be as strong, or ever hope to stand up to him. He's lightyears beyond you, and you'll never catch up.

I haven't met a single person, outside of the co-dependency wing, who would find that interesting or enjoyable in the least. Make a cool character, for sure, but...keep it under 9,000, yes?

Well if you're playing a deity of some sort this can be true. But I totally know what you mean. In the Tolkien lore I once played with an OC who was EVERYTHING possible. Better than everyone else! Shinier, faster, more cunning! So much she started breaking the lore insisting that a noble elf raped her. Please. I told her I was uninterested after her second post...

Well if you're playing a deity of some sort this can be true. But I totally know what you mean. In the Tolkien lore I once played with an OC who was EVERYTHING possible. Better than everyone else! Shinier, faster, more cunning! So much she started breaking the lore insisting that a noble elf raped her. Please. I told her I was uninterested after her second post...
Yeesh.. gotta wonder how being super ultra mega powerful + one is any fun to anyone. Roleplays without hardship are no fun.. :(

I think everyone has been there. It is not, for me, an issue of the character being powerful. It is an underlying behavioral issue with the player. We're here to tell a story, not to reinforce a facade of personal invincibility erected as a coping mechanism for an inferiority complex. To put it simply: Psychology is above my pay grade.

I remember the first time I encountered a Powergamer. I was describing a complex encryption on an enemy database that my character, who was the established techie in that roleplay, could not break. His character, who had not even hinted at any technical know-how whatsoever (and, in fact, was the melee fighter archetype) simply responded with "I crack it easily" and some other nonsense.

Flatlined, right there. We're sorry; the program you are attempting to access -ego.exe- has stopped responding and must shut down. Would you like to send a crash report? >_>

I suppose she was friendly OOC? She took my super sugar coated "I can't do this anymore" comment rather well, I suppose.
Well as long as she wasn't a complete twat, no offense to her. I find that the type of players that have super overpowered characters are masters of the BM.

hqdefault.jpg

Well as long as she wasn't a complete twat, no offense to her. I find that the type of players that have super overpowered characters are masters of the BM.

Needless to say I hardly ever speak to her anymore. And good riddance, really. He run-on sentences were making me tired.

I hear ya there. Care to exchange stories about our worst partners? :)

My intoxicated mind will not do it justice, unfortunately. But if there is anyone, it would have to be Arwen, I suppose. Her writer was a lady in her mid 50s, and roleplay she used as a mean to heal from an unhappy marriage. She fancied my son (Legolas), and I gave them my blessing, for he enjoyed her also. She then one evening attempted to seduce me, eyelashes fluttering, cheeks flushed, and ultimate disappointment when I refused to be anything but proper. The next day, she challenged me to a duel - one that I, of course, won. In sulk she returned to Rivendell, and bad-mouthed me to every single one of the other roleplayers she could possibly find.

Needless to say, I was not popular for a long time because of her... And this is truly what made me leave roleplay for a while. Unfortunate, but true.

What of your story?

Last edited:
My intoxicated mind will not do it justice, unfortunately. But if there is anyone, it would have to be Arwen, I suppose. Her writer was a lady in her mid 50s, and roleplay she used as a mean to heal from an unhappy marriage. She fancied my son (Legolas), and I gave them my blessing, for he enjoyed him also. She then one evening attempted to seduce me, eyelashes fluttering, cheeks flushed, and ultimate disappointment when I refused to be anything but proper. The next day, she challenged me to a duel - one that I, of course, won. In sulk she returned to Rivendell, and bad-mouthed me to every single one of the other roleplayers she could possible find.

Needless to say, I was not popular for a long time because of her... And this is truly what made me leave roleplay for a while. Unfortunate, but true.

What of your story?
Well that was quite a tale lol.

Mine was back when I was just starting out here, using a different account. I tend to switch accounts yearly unless I own something on it just for a fresh template just for context. Anywho, it was a fandom rp based in an academy which is where the fandom we were basing it off of is centered for the majority of the first and second season.

My character was a shy, quiet girl and aspiring huntress, fighting forces of evil for the greater good, for the children and for peace.

His character?

Motorcycle riding badass that everyone was afraid of yet somehow liked at the same time, could do no wrong, every girl in the whole damn city was in love with him and was overpowered as hell cause somehow his fists of fury were better than my shotgun. Anywho, if that wasn't enough, he just broke the whole setting, reconstructed the academy from the ground up so he could fit his Harley inside the school (which none of the teachers gave him flak for (???)). Expected my character to fall to his feet and worship the ground he walked on, and when she didn't, well, lets say it went from T for Teen to I for Illegal pretty damn quickly.

Long story short, his character raped mine (or tried to, I cut off the rp when I realized where it was going) in the garden of the academy and no one batted an eye.

I pity whoever he's rping with right now because hot damn that dude had some issues.

Oh and as a quick little edit, he messaged me for months afterwards through my RpN account and my actual e-mail address trying to get the rp back together cause I was the only one who could stand his bullshit for more than a page.

As a writer of Melkor (Sauron's master, a truly dark lord), rape is something that's a frequent theme. However simply writing it without asking the partner is super unfair and ridiculous. I totally follow your train of thought. Also on the whole "overpowered" part. Come on. nobody is that good.

As a writer of Melkor (Sauron's master, a truly dark lord), rape is something that's a frequent theme. However simply writing it without asking the partner is super unfair and ridiculous. I totally follow your train of thought. Also on the whole "overpowered" part. Come on. nobody is that good.

Provided it's in darker themes I'm all for it as strange as that sounds but when its a roleplay that's supposed to be more fluff, cutesy crap, rape is a big red flag that I should abort mission ASAP.

Also, out of curiosity, I'm not too knowledgeable on LoTR stuff but Melkor and Sauron are both from it correct?

Provided it's in darker themes I'm all for it as strange as that sounds but when its a roleplay that's supposed to be more fluff, cutesy crap, rape is a big red flag that I should abort mission ASAP.

Also, out of curiosity, I'm not too knowledgeable on LoTR stuff but Melkor and Sauron are both from it correct?

Yeah I hear you on the rape front. I don't write explicit smut ever but the themes can get that way sometimes with evil characters.

Melkor and Sauron are both from the Tolkien world - correct. Sauron makes an appearance in LOTR, while Melkor is a mere mention. Melkor is one of the deities of that world and he is Sauron's master.

Yeah I hear you on the rape front. I don't write explicit smut ever but the themes can get that way sometimes with evil characters.

Melkor and Sauron are both from the Tolkien world - correct. Sauron makes an appearance in LOTR, while Melkor is a mere mention. Melkor is one of the deities of that world and he is Sauron's master.
I see I see. Might need to delve into the world eventually, I've only seen bits and pieces. Beyond that do you roleplay anything else?

I see I see. Might need to delve into the world eventually, I've only seen bits and pieces. Beyond that do you roleplay anything else?

I used to roleplay in the Harry Potter universe. But I've spent so much time reading on the Tolkien world and have put much effort making my writing be poetic and lovely, that it does not fit Harry Potter anymore.

Suddenly sentences such as: "And with his wand he cast a spell so powerful, he blinded all those around him, for his might was dreadful and terrible!" seem unfit for the HP universe. xD I found I needed to re-write a lot of my writing because it was too Tolkieny. So eventually I simply resolved to sticking to Tolkien.

I used to roleplay in the Harry Potter universe. But I've spent so much time reading on the Tolkien world and have put much effort making my writing be poetic and lovely, that it does not fit Harry Potter anymore.

Suddenly sentences such as: "And with his wand he cast a spell so powerful, he blinded all those around him, for his might was dreadful and terrible!" seem unfit for the HP universe. xD I found I needed to re-write a lot of my writing because it was too Tolkieny. So eventually I simply resolved to sticking to Tolkien.
Aah I see. :) Had to refine my own somewhere towards the beginning since when I started I had the grammar of a dyslexic badger without hands, I suppose I'm gifted in the sense that I can type crudely or more refined on a dime, makes roleplaying various fandoms a breeze though I normally stick to what I know, those being the Soulsborne Series by Hidetaka Miyazaki, the RWBY series by Rooster Teeth or more recently the NieR series by Yoko Taro.

I hear you on the straight-to-bed roleplays. I am actually grateful that this site has banned explicit scenes, because maybe now people will quit pestering me for it. It's been a problem on every forum I've joined.

It isn't that much to add a premium channel to your TV service. If that's all you're after, talk to your cable provider. Meanwhile, the rest of us will write meaningful stories.

The last forum I was on, it got so bad that I had to address my stance on it in my profile. Last line of my general information went something like "If you expect my roleplays to be 50 Shades of Gray, you will be 50 kinds of gone."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back