• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice Deadly Revelation (Danganronpa TTRPG) OOC

Other
Here

Flashwolf96

Lurker Extraordinaire
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Let's do our chatting/preplanning here folks. I could make a character thread too, but there're already sheets for that in the folder I linked to in the recruitment thread. Besides, I'm not sure if we're supposed to reveal too much about our characters (like their stats and stuff) publicly anyway. I guess it depends on what we say and how everyone feels about it, really.

Anyway, let's chat it up Squad141 Squad141 Dreamtique Dreamtique PlatFleece PlatFleece . Recruitment thread's linked up top just because.

Cool! So first thing's first what's everyone's thoughts on the setting? I wanna hear before I decide on one thing. Personally I'm fine with making it DanganRonpa-adjacent. As in it works like DanganRonpa without having to adhere to the game's canon to free up our characters to be more flexible.

Cool! So first thing's first what's everyone's thoughts on the setting? I wanna hear before I decide on one thing. Personally I'm fine with making it DanganRonpa-adjacent. As in it works like DanganRonpa without having to adhere to the game's canon to free up our characters to be more flexible.
DanganRonpa-adjacent is perfectly fine, whatever decision that rewards creativity and creative freedom is good! I don't mind it being completely free from the Danganronpa Universe, it'll make things fresh as well. That said I am not opposed to paying homage to the series as well or setting the story in the DR universe.

I'm very flexible with it. The core thing seems to be the trials, debates, and the murder mysteries, with core narrative stuff being likely DR-esque "trapped in a place" setting. Since that seems to be core to the RP and DanganRonpa, I'll keep those things. Other than that, I'm very flexible depending on what everyone would like!

How would everyone like to handle private information? For example, player A is in room 1 while player B is in room 2, they'd be experiencing two different things at once, and while as GM my narration is always true and takes priority, they would be technically private information to those players, and knowledge sharing will be entirely up to the NPCs and players involved, with no guarantee of them telling the truth, etc.

As for me, I did express some of my preferences privately, but I'll reiterate here. I've kinda always wanted to try a "standard" DR roleplay, meaning Monokuma, Hope's Peak, and all that good stuff minus the canon like you said. I also like the "lab" element used in the fourth game (I never actually finished V3 myself, so in the interest of anyone who's like me I'll refrain from bringing up details from the games as much as possible), but honestly I'm fine with pretty much any setting that uses the basic formula you described: Trials, debates, murder mysteries, all in an enclosed space. I've seen lots of locations used for DRP before like a cruise ship, amusement park, and even a spaceship, but personally I'll throw my lot in for a contemporary mall setting if you want a pitch. How's that sound?

Private information is one of the reasons I feel a Discord server would work well. I've never RPed Dangan there before so I have no clue what the best way to set it up would actually be (i.e. Having a unique channel for each room/location, or using channels only to separate the game's arcs and just keeping track of who's where ourselves), but it seems like a great way to control who has access to what information. Private channels for each player is also a great way to have 1-on-1 communication with the GM while keeping it in the server. In general though I think I read that you only really need to focus in on scenes that you think will be important when everyone's off doing their own thing in something like Free Time. Those are some thoughts and ideas, but this definitely needs more discussion.

I had cruise ship, billionaire's manor, amusement park, etc. all as potential ideas. I'll chalk malls up to it too. If we are doing it in Discord there's an easy way to grant people access to certain rooms and whatnot. I'll see if there's a bot that can help me with stuff like that too.

I had cruise ship, billionaire's manor, amusement park, etc. all as potential ideas. I'll chalk malls up to it too. If we are doing it in Discord there's an easy way to grant people access to certain rooms and whatnot. I'll see if there's a bot that can help me with stuff like that too.
I think an amusement park/resort idea could be fun, I've always really enjoyed those.

Oof, I can already tell the mall won't be a popular opinion... Okay, jumping ship. Amusement park sounds fine, though I'm also interested in the billionaire's mansion which I hadn't ever thought of before.

Oof, I can already tell the mall won't be a popular opinion... Okay, jumping ship. Amusement park sounds fine, though I'm also interested in the billionaire's mansion which I hadn't ever thought of before.
Haha, it's fine! We still have some time to finalize it. In the meantime, let's plan out our characters then! What kind of Ultimates do you guys plan to have? Or is there any questions you have for me as a GM?

I'm comfortable with the standard 16 DR cast, but I can also do a bit more, the only thing is if we do do a bit more I'd say we stagger the cast reveal a little bit, I have an idea of how we could virtually do more or less people at first but still have the regular-sized ~16-character cast in the end.

Haha, it's fine! We still have some time to finalize it. In the meantime, let's plan out our characters then! What kind of Ultimates do you guys plan to have? Or is there any questions you have for me as a GM?

I'm comfortable with the standard 16 DR cast, but I can also do a bit more, the only thing is if we do do a bit more I'd say we stagger the cast reveal a little bit, I have an idea of how we could virtually do more or less people at first but still have the regular-sized ~16-character cast in the end.
I’ve got a few character ideas in mind, plus a few NPCs if you don’t already have those planned.

I’m actually starting to get pretty excited about this, despite the fact that none of the others have really communicated in this thread though (I’m sure they’re just busy). I’m wondering if we ought to make multiple characters in order to keep the deaths a surprise (by having some of our characters in suspicion/danger of death as well).

It's all up to you guys how you wanna do it. I'm open to ideas. I'm going to be handling NPCs and doing heavy lifting on the actual murder plots to make it interesting, characterwise I'm leaving it up to you all.

The RP I ran is actually set in an amusement park as well, that really brought me back. The amusement park setting is super fun and versatile, but I really don't mind trying other settings! (In the end, I am more interested in how the setting relates to the plot) Aesthetic-wise, I am quite interested in the idea of a mansion tho! The mall sounds cool as well!
1674311355535.png
I think it's a good idea to start posting interest check in the 'group RP' section, instead of 'Quest' and 'Dice' sections, these two are less popular interest check sections. As for me, I am still not sure if I will have the time to participate, but I'll keep an eye out for this for now. I have quite many character ideas at my hand.

Reducing the number of characters and cases is actually a good idea, especially for RPs.

Other than that I don't have any strong opinions on the mechanics, and the details of the RP, I'll probably be happy with whatever final decisions.

I’ve got a few character ideas in mind, plus a few NPCs if you don’t already have those planned.

I’m actually starting to get pretty excited about this, despite the fact that none of the others have really communicated in this thread though (I’m sure they’re just busy). I’m wondering if we ought to make multiple characters in order to keep the deaths a surprise (by having some of our characters in suspicion/danger of death as well).
Here's a quote from the PDF that describes why I think this particular topic (PC death) should be handled privately between each individual player and the GM:

A major part of player preferences is discussing Player Character (PC) deaths. Determining
whether or not a player is OK with their character dying will serve to make the game fun for
everyone. Even for those who establish during Session 0 that they are alright with their charac‐
ter being killed might find themselves feeling differently later down the line, so make sure to
double check between Arcs to ensure that the choice still stands!

Knowing if your players wish to have characters die or not will also serve to help decide
whether or not the players should have a part in creating the NPCs as well — if a player’s
character dies, and they want to continue playing, the GM might decide to hand over control
of one of the NPCs, and a player is more likely to have fun playing a character they know well.

If you're alright with your character dying that's fine, but others might not be so I don't think it should be a rule that applies to everyone. For the sake of maintaining the sense of danger for the others though, I think everyone should be asked privately how they feel about it. The game seems to be designed for each player to only have one character in the first place (transitioning to control one of the NPCs upon death), but I'll leave it up to PlatFleece PlatFleece how to handle one player having multiple characters.

NPCs also seem to be the GM's jurisdiction, with the exception of whatever limited say we might have towards some of them that can affect dynamics and such. For example, if someone wanted to make a bully character, it'd make sense to request that at least one of the NPCs be someone who can make an easy target to help establish that identity. I plan on making a similar sort of request myself eventually once we get serious with the pregame planning, but for now I'll go ahead and say that my current character idea is an Ultimate Love Counselor — a girl whose talent specializes in analyzing and advising the relationships of others. On paper, at least.

Personality-wise, I'm leaning towards a trendy, maybe tomboyish, valley girl type (or "gyaru", for the cultured folk). Playful, teasing, fun-loving, and more likely to be interested in flirting with just about everyone than poking around for clues. That's the idea anyway, as I'm assuming we'll get at least one or two investigative types leaving the trouble/mood maker role mostly open. The raw inspiration comes from the characters SQ and Comet from Gnosia if anyone's familiar, but there are obviously elements of a certain girl from the first DR game, and a certain boy from the fourth.

Last edited:
I think it's a good idea to start posting interest check in the 'group RP' section, instead of 'Quest' and 'Dice' sections, these two are less popular interest check sections. As for me, I am still not sure if I will have the time to participate, but I'll keep an eye out for this for now. I have quite many character ideas at my hand.
Ah, actually I originally posted the recruitment thread to the Group section, but got moved to Quest later on. I didn't think anything of it at first since my faith in the roleplay actually happening was quite low when the initial reaction wasn't as enthusiastic as I'd have hoped, but the Dice section probably would've been a better place in hindsight, for both me and the mods. Either way, I don't want to anger them by posting in Group RP again, so I'll make do with Quest for now. If interest stalls I'll consider making a new post in Dice.

That image is sick btw. Did you make it yourself like the pixel art?

The raw inspiration comes from the characters SQ and Comet from Gnosia if anyone's familiar
Oh wow, someone else knows Gnosia. My profile pic was gonna be Setsu, actually, haha. That character sounds great btw! I can totally handle PMs if people wanna discuss character death in private, too.

Here's a quote from the PDF that describes why I think this particular topic (PC death) should be handled privately between each individual player and the GM:

A major part of player preferences is discussing Player Character (PC) deaths. Determining
whether or not a player is OK with their character dying will serve to make the game fun for
everyone. Even for those who establish during Session 0 that they are alright with their charac‐
ter being killed might find themselves feeling differently later down the line, so make sure to
double check between Arcs to ensure that the choice still stands!

Knowing if your players wish to have characters die or not will also serve to help decide
whether or not the players should have a part in creating the NPCs as well — if a player’s
character dies, and they want to continue playing, the GM might decide to hand over control
of one of the NPCs, and a player is more likely to have fun playing a character they know well.

If you're alright with your character dying that's fine, but others might not be so I don't think it should be a rule that applies to everyone. For the sake of maintaining the sense of danger for the others though, I think everyone should be asked privately how they feel about it. The game seems to be designed for each player to only have one character in the first place (transitioning to control one of the NPCs upon death), but I'll leave it up to PlatFleece PlatFleece how to handle one player having multiple characters.

NPCs also seem to be the GM's jurisdiction, with the exception of whatever limited say we might have towards some of them that can affect dynamics and such. For example, if someone wanted to make a bully character, it'd make sense to request that at least one of the NPCs be someone who can make an easy target to help establish that identity. I plan on making a similar sort of request myself eventually once we get serious with the pregame planning, but for now I'll go ahead and say that my current character idea is an Ultimate Love Counselor — a girl whose talent specializes in analyzing and advising the relationships of others. On paper, at least.

Personality-wise, I'm leaning towards a trendy, maybe tomboyish, valley girl type (or "gyaru", for the cultured folk). Playful, teasing, fun-loving, and more likely to be interested in flirting with just about everyone than poking around for clues. That's the idea anyway, as I'm assuming we'll get at least one or two investigative types leaving the mood/trouble maker role mostly open. The raw inspiration comes from the characters SQ and Comet from Gnosia if anyone's familiar, but there are obviously elements of a certain girl from the first game, and a certain boy from the fourth.
That’s understandable, sorry if I had implied otherwise. I can message someone my preferences now or later, after we establish whom to contact for what.

Regarding character ideas, I have a few but am leaning towards two man ones: a Photojournalist, who would be down to earth and have a more investigative side to himself, or a Mangaka, who’s heavily inspired by Rohan by the series Thus Spoke Rohan Kishibe, who would also have a serious tone to him along with an artistic side.

Oh wow, someone else knows Gnosia. My profile pic was gonna be Setsu, actually, haha. That character sounds great btw! I can totally handle PMs if people wanna discuss character death in private, too.
Oh yeah, Gnosia is great. I'm already max level after beating the true ending and I still keep coming back to it every so often to scratch my social deduction itch. Glad you like my character pitch too. If anyone wants to try and connect their OC to mine, I'm down to discuss ways to make it happen.

That’s understandable, sorry if I had implied otherwise. I can message someone my preferences now or later, after we establish whom to contact for what.

Regarding character ideas, I have a few but am leaning towards two man ones: a Photojournalist, who would be down to earth and have a more investigative side to himself, or a Mangaka, who’s heavily inspired by Rohan by the series Thus Spoke Rohan Kishibe, who would also have a serious tone to him along with an artistic side.
Hey, no need to apologize. We're here to figure all this stuff out together. As for who to message, PlatFleece PlatFleece is our GM so definitely send your ideas their way whenever you're ready.

Can't say I'm familiar with that manga (though I know it shares the same mangaka as Jojo, which I'm not into either unfortunately), but those are some neat character concepts. Any idea which one you're leaning more towards? Or would you prefer to play both if you can?

Hello, this sounds interesting -- but has it been decided on whether it will be hosted on discord or not?

I'm totally fine with Discord or this forum. It's up to everyone else. I don't think we've decided either way, though I know some people are keen on discord, I think?

Since we're practically reaching the sign-up limit, I should probably ask for realsies: Discord or the forum?

I think I'd prefer Discord personally, for the convenience if nothing else. Bots (particular bots that help with dice rolls), server roles, nicknames, categories/channels, and little features like those are pretty useful, but more than anything I think it'll give us more options on how to actually structure the roleplay.

Welp, I plan on hoisting all the annoying setup work on our wonderful and capable GM in the end regardless, so I won't argue if the consensus goes the other way :p But yeah I think it's been long enough that we should consider getting this started before people start getting bored waiting and drop out. Assuming it hasn't already reached that point already...

Cool! I've been prepping characters and setting while sign-ups were filling up, so if everyone's decided I can actually plan practically on where to do the RP ^^

As for premise, unless anyone has any other ideas, my initial premise is that you're all basically going on a summer break hosted by Hope's Peak (or equivalent thing for Ultimates) before the actual ride got hijacked by the mastermind and they trapped you in the place-that-is-yet-to-be-determined.

Hey, hey. Just putting my foot in the door whilst at work. I'll have a proper read when I'm home.

Glad to have you here. I am getting a bit concerned about the others though, so I'll go ahead and do a quick roll call to make sure everyone's still on board.

So PlatFleece PlatFleece is our GM, and Squad141 Squad141 Dreamtique Dreamtique JDaQuavion JDaQuavion plus Orichalcum Tiger Orichalcum Tiger and myself make up our current player roster. We've got room for one more for a total of 6 players, but for now that's what we're rolling with. I'm not asking for any kind of huge post or reply to anything that's been said in the forum so far, but a quick message to let us know you're still in would be appreciated as we get closer to making this thing happen.

I know Dreamtique is unsure of whether they'll be able to join in the first place, so no need to worry so much there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back