• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Dead Winter

Zer0

Haiku Hitman

3d3c37edc57da7c081b0b0d03eb8e499.jpg

[SIZE= 18px]W[/SIZE]ho's the main character?

[1] - A fifteen year old girl good at hiding, has below average skill with a pistol, with a loyal old dog who's helped her survive by hunting rats and warning her of danger. She used to be part of her school's theatre club.

[2] - An older brother, twenty-two years of age, who had been a parcour enthusiast before he graduated and became a fireman. He's got his sick parents to take care of. He's pretty good with an axe.

[3] - A scientist trying to look for a cure. He's in his late twenties and is good at tinkering machines. He's alone.

[4] - A father and her daughter. He is a carpenter, while she was a mountaineering instructor.

[SIZE= 14px]Out of Character Chat[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 18px]- Lore -[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14px]Victory conditions & Main character:[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 18px]- James Cunning -[/SIZE]

" A young man looking for a cure for the virus that mutated out of a remedy for cancer that his late father had created."

Win: All conditions must be met

1. Survive the winter
  2. Develop a cure

Lose: If any condition is fulfilled, quest failed.

• James dies
  • All viable cure serums destroyed
  • Winter is over before a cure is developed

[SIZE= 14px]Ghouls:[/SIZE]

73c84d44bf41424efdbf15e163c9eea1.jpg

[SIZE= 18px]- Ghouls -[/SIZE]

Weakness: Headshot, Sluggish and sleepy during the day

[SIZE= 18px]G[/SIZE]houls can be undead or living and are faster and more active at night. Undead ghouls are like mindless zombies. But living ghouls can feel pain and work together to flush out non-infected people out of their homes. They have the crude intelligence of dogs and follow an alpha.

Their mutations haven't stopped, there are reports of "freakish monsters" hunting and eating people in the streets, many no longer recognizably human.

[SIZE= 14px]The World:[/SIZE]

bills_town_trap.1370388214.jpg

[SIZE= 18px]O[/SIZE]ur story begins fifteen years after the start of the viral outbreak. It's played in the mountains and ruins of a tundra landscape and bring with it all the challenges that come with the winter season.

Resources are scarce and what's yours is yours only when you can hold it in your hands. People are desperate to survive, and in this world you may find that they are more dangerous than the ghouls.

Last edited by a moderator:

_skyfall__q_by_teralilac-d5qct9k.jpg

[SIZE= 18px]- Halden Mountains -[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14px]" 40 Days till Spring "[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 18px]S[/SIZE]now was gently falling down the frosted landscape as the rattling of an old train making its way along the rusty tracks that wound its way through a wintry alpine forest echoed in the mountain side.

The conductor, and old bearded man who looked as old as the train, was sitting in the front reading a yellowed news paper. It was dated fifteen years ago and the headline in the front page read:

" THE DEAD WALK "

• 'Professor Castor Cunning's cure for cancer, once hailed as the medical miracle of the century three years ago is now the doomsday virus that mutated inside its patients and turned them and everyone they've infected into what people are commonly calling, "Ghouls".

I know what you're thinking, "Not zombies?", not exactly. The dead have miraculously and horrifyingly come back to life, but they're not the slow witless undead we see in popular media nowadays.

We now have confirmed that Ghouls are faster and more active at night, and witnesses have reported packs of these infected working together to flush out non-infected people out of their homes. They have the crude intelligence of dogs and follow an alpha. The mutations also haven't stopped, there are reports of "freakish monsters" hunting and eating people in the streets, many no longer recognizably human.

Professor Cunning's court case has been resolved and he has been found "Guilty" of . . . '

One of the heavy metal doors of the cars slid open and the old man looked behind him to see a young man in a biohazard suit stride out and give him a warm thermos of hot soup.

"Ah, thank you, James." grunted the old man appreciatively, trying and failing to quickly hide the outdated yellowed newspaper without being too obvious. "Ah! My favorite, potato soup. Just like yesterday and the past six years before that. I'm surprised I haven't started sprouting potatoes on my bald head." he chuckled, but the young man had seen the paper.

The young man removed the headwear of his suit, the snow swirling in the chilly wind. "It's alright, Murf, I'm not angry, just was surprised to see my father's face on the paper." The young man had the same messy black hair and bespectacled intelligent grey eyes as the picture of the infamous Professor Castor Cunning in the newspaper.

This was James Cunning, his son and the one who these past six years has been persistently trying to look for a cure.

[1] - "Mmm." said Murf thoughtfully. "You must be tired of hearing this, but I'm sorry for what happened to him." Professor Castor cunning had died in the hands of angry rioters fifteen years ago. (muses some more about the past)

[2] - James leaned nonchalantly against the railing watching the passing scenery. He had handsome features with his lean broad back, that black hair that fell down his face with a sort of casual elegance most people don't have, and that piercing gaze that seemed to dwell on higher things. They passed a couple of ghouls scurrying in the trees that hissed at them and tried in vain to catch the train. "Anyway, I have to get back." (Switch to James' point of view as he goes back in to continue whatever he was doing.)

[3] - Suddenly a gunshot rent the air.

[4] - . . . . ( Reader's write in choice)

[SIZE= 14px]- James Cunning's Status -[/SIZE]

Health: Fresh || Stamina: Good || Body Heat: Slightly chilled

Food: 6 months || Reputation: "The hope of some, the receiving end of hatred for most."

[SIZE= 14px]- Gear -[/SIZE]

Main hand: None || Off-hand: None

Head: Biohazard suit || Chest: Biohazard suit || Arms: Biohazard suit || Legs: Biohazard suit

Charm: None

[SIZE= 14px]- Backpack -[/SIZE]

1. empty

[SIZE= 14px]- Tricks and Skills -[/SIZE]

Good:

1. Metal Thumb
    - No, he does not have a metal thumb. He's good at tinkering with machines, repairing, and crafting equipment.
  2. Passionate Virologist
    -
    James's work on the cure is the most important thing to him in the world. And he will endure hardship and move mountains to achieve it.
  3. Smooth Talker
    -
    Charming demeanor and a silver tongue. Bluffing, acting, diplomacy, and interrogation is this man's strong point.

Bad:

1. Canine Allergy
    - Dogs and wolves make him sneeze uncontrollably. Not good when you're trying to sneak pass them.
  2. Honorable
    - In a harsh 'dog eat dog' world like this, James' kindness is likely to kill him.
  3. Limp Noodle
    - No muscle, runs out of breath easily, can't even win a brawl. Low physical pain tolerance. Cries out easily when hurt, will cave in easily to physical torture. Exception is when he has to protect his work.

[SIZE= 14px]- Relationships -[/SIZE]

1. None

[SIZE= 14px]- Vehicle -[/SIZE]

None

[SIZE= 14px]- Hideout -[/SIZE]

None

[SIZE= 14px]- Crafting and Construction -[/SIZE]

Crafting Recipes:

1. None

Construction Recipes:

1. None

Let's go with 1. Stick with Murf a little longer. We'll have plenty of time for James, and I'd rather not immediately get into a gunfight. Start off slowish, y'know?

A little sad the traceur fireman didn't get picked, though, mainly because I'm fucking fascinated with parkour. Honestly, I could see any of the four being fun, so I'm not too sad. This'll still be good, especially if this continues to be well-written.

I should be posting most of this in the OOC. I'll do so, next time.

wallhaven-19120.jpg

[SIZE= 14px]" 40 Days till Spring, 11:00 a.m., Wednesday "[/SIZE]

"[SIZE= 18px]M[/SIZE]mm." said Murf thoughtfully, taking a sip of the hot soup. "You must be tired of hearing this, but I'm sorry for what happened to him." Professor Castor cunning had died in the hands of angry rioters fifteen years ago.

The court hearing at that time had been a sham. Economies were collapsing in the wake of the sudden global viral outbreak, lawlessness was rampant, violence and shortage of supplies plagued the cities that have become death zones as the ghouls numbers became overwhelming. People started doing whatever they wanted, were angry, and were looking for someone to blame. And so the government had tried to instill some order by putting up a mock trial that would sentence Professor Cunning to a lifetime in jail.

But in truth, you couldn't do that to the person who knew the virus inside and out and had the best chance of making a cure. He was secretly transferred to a military research facility where he would continue finding a cure, and his family went with him.

James had been a twelve year old boy at that time, who was naively dreaming to become some awesome apocalyptic warrior who shot dual pistols, sniped 'Boss Monsters' and beheaded entire zombie hordes with just a machete. Ah, how he turned out differently.

There was one point later that same year where his father had to go out in one of the quarantined cities to do some research, but he and the squad of soldiers that guarded him and his research team were attacked by a group of survivors who were desperately attempting to get out of the city by trying to commandeer their helicopter.

And that was it, the facility lost contact with them and his father never came back home. Humans indeed, were much more dangerous than the walking dead.

"That was fifteen years ago. It's fine." reassured James, though he didn't meet Murf's eye when he smiled, and leaned against the doorway without looking at him and just watched the passing scenery. He had his own thermos of hot potato soup with him and drank it in awkward silence behind Murf who was thinking that maybe he should change the topic.

"How's the serum --- er, compound CI-8 was it? --- doing?" said Murf taking another brave stab at conversation. This was currently the most promising progress of the cure that James and his researchers were going to test on ghouls after they reached a safehouse located higher up the mountains.

"It's . . . fine." was that all James had to say? Apparently so as he then cleared his throat and took another sip of soup. He was clearly in an untalkative mood now. Murf shouldn't have been reading that newspaper, but he couldn't help it as he had not read this one, since at around that day fifteen years ago he was busy running for his life.

"Anyway, I need to get back." said James briskly.

"Of course, of course, you, um, have a good one, doctor."

James nodded in that reassuring way that he wasn't that bothered, and stepped back inside the carriage, putting his biohazard suit's headwear back on.

He strode back to car five, which was their group's little laboratory, where the other scientists supervised by his assistant . . .

[1] - . . . Dr. Samantha Grey, were busy packing hazardous chemicals into safe boxes. Dr. Grey or "Sammy" was James' old friend whom he met in the military facility fifteen years ago when they were kids.

She and him had been a couple for about a year when they were both twenty-four, but it didn't work out. James was devoted to looking for a cure above all things and she wanted a family. He couldn't give her that, since he had a job to do and raising a family would distract him from his goals. (Will protect James more than the cure; has medical skills; not intelligent enough to help in developing the cure itself; bad at fighting)

[2] - . . . Dr. Akiba Saiyuri, were cleaning out their old stocks of infected samples and dangerous chemicals by incinerating or neutralizing them. Dr. Akiba or "Sai" was James' old rival whom he met during one of his ventures in one of the quarantined cities.

She was a scientist working on her own cure and the military had rescued her when the safehouse of the survivor colony she was staying in was overrun with ghouls. She doesn't like James, because he talked the military into giving him the resources to support his research which had a break through at that time instead of hers, but was professional enough to work together without any trouble. (Is able to develop a cure all by herself; average at fighting; Doesn't think James life is that important)

[3] - . . . Dr. Nicolai Dragunov, were moving delicate heavy equipment into padded crates. Nicolai was a Russian scientist who used to work for a terrorist cell before he left them to help look for a cure. A broken world wasn't what he wanted, and he was willing to work with the government he had been helping to overthrow to put it back the way it was before the outbreak. (Is able to develop a cure all by himself; above average at fighting; Doesn't think James' life is that important)

[4] - . . .  and younger brother, Dr. Mion Cunning, were discussing where to put their ghoul traps in the few infected towns scattered in a sixty mile radius around the Halden Mountains.

His brother was in charge of capturing live ghouls for their human trials and could keep up with the soldiers, full military gear and all. (Will protect his brother; average at fighting; not intelligent enough to help in developing the cure itself.)

Food: 6 months || Reputation: "The hope of some, the receiving end of hatred for most."

Head: Biohazard suit || Chest: Biohazard suit || Arms: Biohazard suit || Legs: Biohazard suit

1. empty

Good:

1. Metal Thumb
    - No, he does not have a metal thumb. He's good at tinkering with machines, repairing, and crafting equipment.
  2. Passionate Virologist
    -
    James's work on the cure is the most important thing to him in the world. And he will endure hardship and move mountains to achieve it.
  3. Smooth Talker
    -
    Charming demeanor and a silver tongue. Bluffing, acting, diplomacy, and interrogation is this man's strong point.

Bad:

1. Canine Allergy
    - Dogs and wolves make him sneeze uncontrollably. Not good when you're trying to sneak pass them.
  2. Honorable
    - In a harsh 'dog eat dog' world like this, James' kindness is likely to kill him.
  3. Limp Noodle
    - No muscle, runs out of breath easily, can't even win a brawl. Low physical pain tolerance. Cries out easily when hurt, will cave in easily to physical torture. Exception is when he has to protect his work.

1. None

None

None

Crafting Recipes:

1. None

Construction Recipes:

1. None

_star_trek__khan_by_teralilac-d6818ot.jpg

[SIZE= 14px]" 40 Days till Spring, 12:00 p.m.., Wednesday "[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 18px]J[/SIZE]ames strode back to car five, which was their group's little laboratory, where the other six  scientists supervised by his assistant and younger brother, Dr. Mion Cunning, were discussing where to put their ghoul traps in the few infected towns scattered in a sixty mile radius around the Halden Mountains.

His brother was in charge of capturing live ghouls for their human trials and was physically fit enough to keep up with the soldiers, full military gear and all, so he spent most of his time out in the danger zones whenever they had a serum ready for human trials.

Mion was two years younger than James and is his adopted brother. Ten years ago he was brought to the military facility after a rescue mission in Venice. That time he was one of those young teenagers whose family succumbed to the virus after their survivor colony was overrun by ghouls from the inside. One of their people, who had come back from a scavenging run, didn't tell anyone that she got bitten and then "turned" in the mess hall and began the chain reaction that destroyed their colony. Mion learned that day the unquestionable importance of cardio. He ran, and ran, and ran, and till this day always jogs around or does cross-fit exercises whenever he could. They were opposites, him and his brother. One was the brains and the other was the brawns.

". . . we'll dig up pits and set up bait here, here and here in Westfall Valley, and probably a couple of bear traps at the abandoned airport." said Mion to the team pointing at different locations on a map spread across a table. "Samantha, you're staying here, I'm not letting you come with us even if you say you're better. That fever can still come back if you strain yourself." he added to a lady scientist with red hair who looked disappointed, but just nodded. "Good, then if no one has any questions, we're done for today. Let's pack up."

"'Ve haff' no more coffee." yawned Nicolai, a big man who was a Russian scientist. "Need more coffee. 'Vhy you always drink all coffee, Saiyuri?" he complained in his thick Russian accent to a Japanese lady scientist who was incinerating samples they didn't need anymore.

"Because your snores keep me up at night even though you're a carriage away, and so every morning I lack sleep." said Saiyuri.

"Then change room. Go to cart thirteen."

"You can room with me if you like, Saiyuri." said the red-haired scientist, Samantha. "But not now as I'm still sick."

And so the conversation went on as the six men and women scattered to do their assigned tasks of keeping samples, serums, and the infected rats they were experimenting on. All of them were wearing biohazard suits and were handling everything with great care. None of them were immune to the contact strain of the virus after all and if one of those mice escaped and was loose in the train that would spell the end of them sooner or later.

There were two types of viral strains: airborne and contact. Most people were susceptible to both, only ten percent of human kind were immune to the airborne strain, and none were immune to the contact strain found in the saliva of ghouls. Among the birds and beasts that roam the earth, all were immune, except for canines, bears, and one species of brown rats and bats that were susceptible to the contact strain.

"Mion, help me with compound CI-8." said James, taking down frozen vials filled with a purple liquid each labeled with the same name, but different expiration dates from a class III biological safety freezer. They were to pack these inside special containers that can keep the serums frozen for ten days. James suddenly paused as he noticed that he was missing about twenty vials.

"Already ahead of you." said Mion pointing to one of the special containers already packed and ready, and joined his brother to pack the rest. "How long till we reach the station?"

"An hour." said James. He was taller than his younger brother and had a broader back, but was thin and slight. Mion on the other hand was shorter, but had a lean solid build. "We've already passed the third tunnel. I left my headlamp on your bedside this morning, were you able to pack it?"

Mion laughed, "I haven't even begun packing. But don't worry, it only takes me one mi ---"

BANG

A gunshot suddenly rent the air. It came from the back of the train.

[1] - Probably just one of the soldiers having some target practice. They do that from time to time when they're bored. (ignore it and continue working)

[2] - James looked up from his work. For some reason he has a bad feeling. (check it out alone)

[3] - "Tch" Mion clicked his tongue, annoyed. "I told them to stop wasting ammo. I'll be back." (Mion checks it out alone)

[4] - . . . (Reader's write in choice)

1. empty

Good:

1. Metal Thumb
  2. Passionate Virologist
    -
  3. Smooth Talker
    -

Bad:

1. Canine Allergy
  2. Honorable
  3. Limp Noodle

1. Dr. Mion Cunning
    - James adoptive brother who is two years younger than him.
    - Will protect his brother; average at fighting; good at capturing ghouls; not intelligent enough to help in developing the cure itself.

None

None

Crafting Recipes:

1. None

Construction Recipes:

1. None

And tell Mion to pack his frickin' bags while he's out. Diligence, not sloth. Best to practise it with the little things so it's a habit when something big rolls around.

Of course, probably don't say all that to him. We're not his dad. Maybe it's something our dad said to us, though. Iunno.

drawing2.jpg

[SIZE= 14px]" 40 Days till Spring, 12:15 p.m., Wednesday "[/SIZE]

"[SIZE= 18px]T[/SIZE]ch." Mion clicked his tongue, annoyed. "I told them to stop wasting ammo. I'll be back, James."

"Bags." reminded his brother.

"And more coffee!" added Nicolai after him. Mion waved a consenting hand to both of them and left the small laboratory, taking off his biohazard suit after he was decontaminated.

He was in train car five, the last car where the soldiers usually do some target practice was car thirteen or the caboose where ten of the twenty soldiers slept. Between here and there were box cars and a gondola that held cargo, the kitchen and dining car, a blue tank car that held fuel and water,  a passenger car transformed into a make-shift greenhouse, and two other passenger cars where the scientists and non-military personnel slept. All in all they were thirty five survivors, the only ones left of the military research base that had fallen  six months ago due to internal conflicts that arose from a shortage of food.

Mion passed by the small roomette he shared with his older brother in car seven. He stood there outside hesitating for a while between packing now or packing later, then decided to go in and throw in whatever he could inside his backpack before going to the soldiers. He owned the left half of the roomette that was still cluttered with used clothes, junk, misplaced notes, and some traps he'd been working on, while James occupied the right which was already neat and empty except for a full backpack sitting on the bench and an old staff, pointy in one end that he used as a walking stick.

Mion, unzipped his backpack and tossed in the headlamp James left him, a pack of cigarettes and a  lighter, hand-held radio, some worn winter clothes, ammunition kit, an old pistol with a few ammo, a rusty knife, some batteries and a charger, duct tape, a map, rope, and a tent.

He was putting in a few candles and his trusty compass when he suddenly heard a loud thump outside coming from the back end of the car followed by hushed voices he's never heard before, many hurried footsteps, and the rapid opening of the other roomettes before his own.

Something was horribly wrong. In that few precious seconds before his door slid open, Mion opened the window and quickly climbed out on to the frosted slippery roof, but not before tossing out . . .

[1] -  . . . his backpack which he had not zipped close yet.

[2] -  . . . James' backpack. Which he knew was lightly packed as his brother couldn't carry heavy things and only had his personal belongings, a tool kit, portable cooking gear, radio, water, and some dried food.

[3] -  . . . nothing. He just immediately escaped to the roof.

[4] - . . . nothing. He decided to stay and wait in ambush.

[5] - . . . (Reader's write in choice)

1. empty

Good:

1. Metal Thumb
  2. Passionate Virologist
    -
  3. Smooth Talker
    -

Bad:

1. Canine Allergy
  2. Honorable
  3. Limp Noodle

1. Dr. Mion Cunning
    - Will protect his brother; average at fighting; good at capturing ghouls; not intelligent enough to help in developing the cure itself.

None

None

Crafting Recipes:

1. None

Construction Recipes:

1. None

Let's go for 1. Sure some stuff will probably be scattered, but it's got more in it, and I hope that'll be worth the extra effort finding what scattered stuff there may be later, and whatever may get just straight-up lost because it's not in the bag.

[SIZE= 14px]" 40 Days till Spring, 12:17 p.m., Wednesday "[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 18px]M[/SIZE]ion tossed out his bag, the contents spilling down a ravine where a frozen river lay at the bottom just as he heard the door slid open behind him.

"Escapee!" bellowed a man's voice just as Mion was half out the window and clambering on to the frozen train roof. He heard the man rush forward below him and felt a hand grab his shoe then violently tug it down. With a thrill of fear Mion lost his grip and thumped his chin on the roof edge, but managed to grab hold on to some jagged frost; he kicked blindly, felt his boot collide with something fleshy and the grip released.

The man cried out in pain; "Don't shoot!" said another man's voice as Mion quickly climbed all the way up. "We need the scientists alive! Hey, we got a runner on the roof!"

The rushing wind was freezing and whipped back Mion's hair as he got to his feet. The scenery was speeding quickly by on either side of him, he crouched as the train entered a tunnel and began to run as fast as he carefully could to car five.

What's going on?! Where were the soldiers?' he thought as he looked back behind him and saw that the man who attacked him --- now sporting a bloody nose --- was climbing up the roof too.

"CONTACT MULTIPLE ARMED HOSTILES COMING FROM CAR SEVEN!" Mion stomped and bellowed down the roof of car six as he ran past, hoping that those underneath heard him and had gone into action.

"Stop! Stop, or I'll shoot!" said the man who was chasing and gaining on him. He had a suppressed pistol and was wearing a gas mask, but Mion glimpsed the edge of a beast like tattoo peeking from under his jacket.

"Yeah right." Mion didn't listen and continued forward, dropping down to the back of car five and bursting inside. "JAMES! EVERYONE, GET OUT! ARMED HOSTILES FROM BEHIND!" and he locked the door just as the man that chased him dropped down and began trying to kick it open.

Nicolai, the big Russian scientist moved first, "To the engine, everyone, now." he said calmly grabbing a container of Serum CI-8 and a stool. "Protocol 6, we're uncoupling the train." One of the scientists screamed as car six exploded into shouts and deafening sounds of gunfire. It seemed that whoever was trying to hijack the train encountered some of the soldiers.

Everyone began to move quickly, scared but determined. They had drilled this before and quickly paired up with their buddies, then ran to the next car. James took a Serum Container too and . . .

[1] - . . . ran out quickly with Mion to car four and all the way to the engine car without stopping.

[2] - . . . set up a quick trap by fully opening the gas valves to release the methane gas they use for their Bunsen burners and set one of their papers on fire.

[3] - . . . quickly grabbed the map on the table, a lighter, scalpel, a first aid kit, and told Mion to grab a biohazard suit.

Food: 0 || Reputation: "The hope of some, the receiving end of hatred for most."

Main hand: Serum Container || Off-hand: None

1. empty

Good:

1. Metal Thumb
  2. Passionate Virologist
    -
  3. Smooth Talker
    -

Bad:

1. Canine Allergy
  2. Honorable
  3. Limp Noodle

1. Dr. Mion Cunning

None

None

Crafting Recipes:

1. None

Construction Recipes:

1. None

[SIZE= 14px]" 40 Days till Spring, 12:19 p.m., Wednesday "[/SIZE]

" [SIZE= 18px]M[/SIZE]ion, grab a suit!" yelled James as he hastily swept as many useful items as he could into a trash bag and slung it over his shoulder. His younger brother did as he said and the two were the last to exit the train car.

"'Vhat you two do doing, eh?! Let's go!" yelled Nicolai two cars away and gestured at the two brothers to double time. Suddenly they heard the locked door behind them give way and masked men rushed inside. James was so slow, the hijackers were going to catch up to them in car three.

Mion turned back and launched himself on the back door of car three in an attempt to lock it, but two men stuck their arms out and the door wouldn't close.

"Roof! Roof!" they cried from the other side of the door. There were sounds of people climbing up. James reached car two, but then one of the scientists who had reached the engine car pointed behind him and yelled, "Oh my gosh, Mion!"

James looked back, five armed men were running on the roof of the train and heading their way. His brother just realized that he was going to fail and let the door go, scrambling forward instead to escape; James dropped the serum container and went back to help him.

BANG

A man on the roof fired a shot at Murf and everyone immediately ducked, the ladies screaming; James stumbled but got up again, reaching into the trash bag.

"It's James Cunning! Capture him!" ordered one of the masked men. 

"Fool! Go back!" yelled his brother angrily just as arms stretched out to grab him.

"Catch!" James threw the scalpel at him. Mion caught it just as one of the masked men caught the hem of his shirt. The younger brother immediately turned and jammed the scalpel straight in his enemy's eye, cracking the glass of the gas mask.

"ARGH!" The man began shooting wildly; James dove behind a seat as bullets pinged pass him. Mion had flung his hazard suit over his foe's face to blind him and was now pushing the masked man back while trying to wrestle the handgun from him and stabbing with his other hand; The man's other ally behind him could not shoot Mion as they were in the center aisle and his friend was in the way.

"Nicolai, help!" yelled James amidst the terrifying sounds of gunfire. Then his heart sank when he looked back and saw that Nicolai had uncoupled the train. The engine car was chugging on without them. There were more gunshots and he saw Murf fall to the floor, blood trailing from his neck. Two masked men tried to jump on to the engine car. One was smashed away with a stool by Nicolai, while the second landed on top of the Russian scientist, knocking aside the serum container James had left behind under the train. They struggled.

James cursed.

[1] - Leave his younger brother Mion behind and attempt to take a running leap on to the engine car.

[2] - Leave his younger brother Mion and use the confusion to jump off the train without anyone noticing.

[3] - Help Mion fight his assailants off and try to jump off the train together.

[4] - Surrender.

[5] - . . . (Reader's write in choice)

Health: Fresh || Stamina: Slightly tired, but in an Adrenaline Rush || Body Heat: Slightly chilled

Food: 0 || Reputation: "The hope of some, the receiving end of hatred for most."

Main hand: none || Off-hand: trash bag

Current Backpack: A flimsy black trash bag

1. Map
  2. x20 uses, Lighter
  4. x4 uses, First aid kit

Good:

1. Metal Thumb
  2. Passionate Virologist
    -
  3. Smooth Talker
    -

Bad:

1. Canine Allergy
  2. Honorable
  3. Limp Noodle

1. Dr. Mion Cunning

None

None

Crafting Recipes:

1. None

Construction Recipes:

1. None

3. Bros before, uh, viral chemicals. Priority on getting the fuck off the train and away from pursuers rather than actually fighting. If that means James and Mion dragging the person Mion's grappling off the train with them, then who can blame them?

Also, pull a face at Nicolai if the chance ever arises. Fucker.

I'll go with 3.

Another participant! Woo!

Also, I don't think I ever expressed quite how much I cracked up at this.

"And more coffee!" added Nicolai after him.

That was some funny shit. Good work.

Another participant! Woo!

Yay! Let's try not get this guy killed! I'll go with 3. We can't stay here long though, James' specialty is science not close quarters combat. As for that traitor Nickolai's coffee, it helps if you imagine a Russian accent.

snow_environment_scene_3_by_tyleredlinart-d7srpq3.jpg

[SIZE= 14px]" 40 Days till Spring, 12:25 p.m., Wednesday "[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 18px]T[/SIZE]hinking quickly, James locked the front door of the train car. He grabbed the lighter from the trash bag, then hastily opened the first aid kit and took out a bottle of alcohol. Unscrewing the cap and holding the lighter with his teeth he looked for an opening to enter the fight between his brother and the two masked men.

Mion had successfully wrestled the pistol from the first foe he stabbed. The man was bleeding profusely, but wasn't dead yet and was pummeling every bit of Mion he could reach before the younger brother was able to shoot him under the jaw; James took this moment when the body fell to reach from a seat to the left, grab the gun hand of the last foe, and splash his head with alcohol.

The man slugged James across the jaw; James blacked out for a moment, dropping the lighter, but didn't let go of the gun hand --- there was a grunt as Mion got kicked back. The man was now pounding James as they fought for control of the gun.

Mion recovered the lighter. "Flames!" yelled Mion. James looked away as his brother lit the lighter and threw it at the man's head which burst into flames. The man panicked, his grip on the gun slackening for just a second, and James used this moment to finally wrestle it away and Mion shot him in the head just as he reached to grab it back.

The body dropped on top of James like a sack of potatoes. Mion picked up the lighter, and pulled his brother up.

"Let's go, we're jumping off!" he hurried. James just nodded and grabbed the trash bag with their stuff before following his brother out the back.

The train was starting to slow down. From what he was hearing it seemed that there was still a gunfight between those on the roof and their friends on the uncoupled engine car. James told Mion that he had last counted four armed men still alive out there and they both decided that it was better to escape. They waited until the train passed a grove of frosted pine trees and then jumped off together.

James tumbled on to the snow; people shouted after them as the train thundered by. Gunshots whizzed pass; they were seen. The two got up immediately and escaped into the forest.

[1] - Head for the abandoned airport. Not a lot of stuff to scavenge as it has been picked clean years before, but the nearby forest has a few rabbits or birds they could trap, and wolves.

[2] - Head for the safehouse where their friends would probably go to, and where their attackers might probably follow.

[3] - Head for Westfall Valley. There is an abandoned town where one can still look for supplies, though there are ghouls too.

[4] - Head back to the ravine where Mion tossed out his bag and retrieve his stuff. If there are some hostiles following the train, it's likely that the two would encounter them.

[5] - . . . (Reader's write in choice.)

Health: Slightly Bruised || Stamina: Tired, but in an Adrenaline Rush || Body Heat: Slightly chilled

Main hand: none || Off-hand: trash bag

James' Current Backpack: A flimsy black trash bag

1. Map
  2. x19 uses, Lighter
  3. x3 shots, Suppressed pistol
  4. x3 uses, First aid kit

Mion's Current Backpack: None

1. x7 shots, Suppressed pistol (equipped)
  2. Scalpel

Good:

1. Metal Thumb
  2. Passionate Virologist
    -
  3. Smooth Talker
    -

Bad:

1. Canine Allergy
  2. Honorable
  3. Limp Noodle

1. Dr. Mion Cunning
    - James adoptive brother who is two years younger than him. Average at fighting; good at capturing ghouls; not intelligent enough to help in developing the cure itself.

Kinship: Mion trusts James and will loyally protect him and his interests. "My brother risked his life and jumped into a fight to help me even if he's not strong, so I'd do the same for him."

None

None

Crafting Recipes:

1. None

Construction Recipes:

1. None

We didn't throw that bag out for nothin', ya know!

Also, lighting the man's face on fire. Savage, James and Mion. Fucking savage.

c390b6c1abb6009187451ea6576d5021.jpg

[SIZE= 24px]Episode 2: Hunted[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 18px]- Ravine, Halden Mountains -[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14px]" 40 Days till Spring, 2:30 p.m., Wednesday "[/SIZE]

"[SIZE= 18px]E[/SIZE]asy . . . easy . . . " Mion muttered to James.

His older brother, who was almost completely undressed and carrying a stick, was carefully walking on the icy surface of a frozen river at the bottom of the ravine where Mion had hurled his own things out the window when they were still on the hi-jacked train two hours ago.

In his haste Mion was unable to zip his mountaineering bag shut and so the items had fallen scattered around the area, and the most important bulk --- the bag itself with most of his things --- was hanging precariously on the jagged edge of a wide shattered pool. This area of the frozen river was thin, but they decided to gamble on James' light frame to get across and retrieve the bag without the ice giving way underneath him.

James shivered, snow was falling and he was wearing nothing but his boxers. They had used their clothes and his biohazard suit as a make-shift rope and tied one end on his wrist. This was a safety precaution. In case he fell, Mion could pull him out from a safe distance.

Fourteen feet away from the bag. . . ten feet . . . eight feet . . .

Crack

James froze. A long rift appeared on the ice underneath him and out blossomed smaller cracks that were slowly spreading farther and farther away. He cursed quietly, heart hammering.

"Something wrong? Why'd you stop?" called Mion from the snowy shore.

"It's nothing." said James and hefted the stick he was carrying.

[1] - Crouch and then reach out with the stick. It's not long enough to reach, but if James could just carefully poke it just right he can make the bag spin and have its longer side face him. Then he can just hook it out easily. Worse that could happen is he pokes it too hard and it falls into the pool.

[2] - Step closer until he can hook it away. Worse that could happen is he falls into the river, but Mion is there to pull him out.

[3] - Too dangerous. Ice could shatter beneath him at ay moment. Better to just back off with what they were able to recover: Duct tape, another map, rope, tent, candles, and a compass. (They'd be giving up: a pack of cigarettes, a lighter, hand-held radio, some worn winter clothes, ammunition kit, an old pistol with a few ammo, a rusty knife, some batteries and a charger.)

Health: Slightly Bruised || Stamina: Tired || Body Heat: Freezing

Main hand: none || Off-hand: none

Head: none || Chest: none || Arms: none || Legs: none

[SIZE= 14px]- Backpack (currently with Mion) -[/SIZE]

1. Map
  2. x19 uses, Lighter
  3. x3 shots, Suppressed pistol
  5. Biohazard suit

Mion's Current Backpack: None

2. Scalpel

Good:

1. Metal Thumb
  2. Passionate Virologist
    -
  3. Smooth Talker
    -

Bad:

1. Canine Allergy
  2. Honorable
  3. Limp Noodle

1. Dr. Mion Cunning
    - James adoptive brother who is two years younger than him. Average at fighting; good at capturing ghouls; not intelligent enough to help in developing the cure itself.

Kinship: Mion trusts James and will loyally protect him and his interests. "My brother risked his life and jumped into a fight to help me even if he's not strong."

None

None

[SIZE= 18px]- Crafting and Construction -[/SIZE]

Spoiler

Crafting Recipes:

1. None

Construction Plans:

1. None

4. Go prone to spread his weight across the ice as much as possible, then slide closer until he can hook the bag.

I belieeeeeeve!

The_Last_of_Us_Concept_Art_Collapsed_Shack_Interior_AL-01.jpg

[SIZE= 18px]- Shack, Abandoned mine, Halden mountains -[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14px]" 40 Days till Spring, 8:00 p.m., Wednesday "[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 18px]J[/SIZE]ames crouched and laid prone on the freezing ice, then in one fluid motion successfully managed to reach the bag with the stick, then slide it towards the shore.

Mion loudly sighed in relief behind him. "Good one." He handed James some of his winter clothes after his older brother carefully made his way back to him.

"Thanks." said James, his teeth chattering. "Let's get out of here, I don't like being out in the open." After they had changed and made their way back under the cover of the frosted trees, he asked Mion if they had any food.

"No, guess we're hunting. I don't want to use any of the bullets, though, I want to save it for when we really need it, what with those murderers still out there."

They had escaped pursuit by taking a twiggy branch that had a few leaves and used it to cover their tracks behind them with snow. As far as they knew there were four enemies still out there, plus the ones who shouted at them as the train passed by, so that was about ten give or take, though James did wonder how they were able to board a moving train. They probably had snow vehicles, but they didn't see any following behind the train.

"I'll make traps." assured James. "But for now let's find a safe place to make camp and decide where we going to go next tomorrow."

"Alright."

It was almost three in the afternoon, hence it was too late to reach the airport, safe house, or the abandoned town in Westfall before sun down, the dangerous time when ghouls were most active.

So with the help of their map and compass, they hiked their way up the mountain for two hours to a shack with a burned collapsed roof. It was tucked away deep into the forest in an abandoned mining area that had a boarded up underground entrance and a few rusted heavy duty machines standing on the snow.

James and Mion circled the shack, guns up, one entering from the roof and another entering from the back.

"Clear!" yelled Mion from one room.

"Clear." said James from another.

"I don't feel right about that mine." said Mion looking out the window to the boarded up underground entrance. "I feel like there might be a ghoul hive in there."

"Then, let's board this place up as best as we can. Where do you want to sleep?"

"Erm . . . Upstairs. I can make a zip line from the window to that tree over there as an escape route if something goes wrong."

"I'll do it. You board up the place." said James, and the brothers set to work.

That chilly night they didn't light a fire, but just huddled together shivering in the boarded up room and took turns sleeping or keeping watch. Not that they could see in the dark, but they listened closely. James had slept first, he was really exhausted from the hike and dozed off after he had finished setting up the zip line, so Mion was on first watch.

It was so quiet. Snow was falling gently from the gaps of the collapsed roof. The darkness deepened with the passing hours until it was virtually impenetrable. Every tiny sound seemed magnified in the vastness of the forest. Mion knew it must be full of living creatures, but he wished they would all remain still and silent so that he could separate their innocent scurryings from noises that might proclaim other, sinister movements. Especially stalking ghouls.

[1] - Pass the time carving out two wooden spears in the dark.

[2] - Light a fire for warmth.

[3] - Pass the time in the dark making no sounds.

[4] - Take some soot and doodle on James' face in the dark.

[5] - . . . (Reader's write in choice.)

Health: Slightly Bruised, Hungry || Stamina: Sleeping || Body Heat: Slightly chilled

Main hand: x3 shots, Suppressed pistol || Off-hand: none

Head: Wool cap || Chest: Winter jacket || Arms: Thick gloves || Legs: Hiking boots

[SIZE= 14px]- Backpack -[/SIZE]

1. Map
  2. x19 uses, Lighter
  3. Scalpel
  5. Biohazard suit

Mion's Current Backpack: Mountaineering Bag

2. 100% batt., Headlamp (equipped)
  3. Winter Clothes (equipped)
  4. x10 uses, Duct tape
  5. Map and compass
  6. Rope (25 ft.)
  7. Tent
  8.  x4 Candles
  9. x16 Cigarettes
  10. x10 uses, lighter
  11. 70% batt., Hand-held radio
  12. Ammunition kit
  13. x7 shots, old pistol
  14. Rusty knife
  15. 100%, Extra batteries (rechargeable)
  16. Solar charger - takes 8 hours to charge a pair of batteries.

Good:

1. Metal Thumb
  2. Passionate Virologist
    -
  3. Smooth Talker
    -

Bad:

1. Canine Allergy
  2. Honorable
  3. Limp Noodle

1. Dr. Mion Cunning

Kinship: Mion trusts James and will loyally protect him and his interests. "My brother risked his life and jumped into a fight to help me even if he's not strong."

None

None

Spoiler

Crafting Recipes:

1. None

Construction Plans:

1. None

I want to make spears, I really do, but I think being alert is more important. We can work on the spears in the day, when James isn't trying to sleep and we can actually see what the hell we're doing. Carving spears with a scalpel will be... pretty funny.

Also, lol at 4. Maybe when we're not in quite so much danger. Although it could give James a slight Eureka moment as for covering their faces in soot to hide in the night. But naaaaaah, let's go for waiting quietly.

[SIZE= 18px]- Halden mountains -[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 14px]" 39 Days till Spring, 7:02 am, Thursday "[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 18px]T[/SIZE]here were sounds of many feet crunching on the snow outside the shack that night.

Mion sat still without making any sound and just listened intently in the dark. Wooden planks creaked ominously from the rooms below the second floor where the two brothers were resting and he heard something crawling up the stairs, sniffing.

It came close to the boarded up doors, its claws grating upon the wood as it scratched their barricade. Mion gripped the cold handle of the suppressed pistol and just waited, his heart hammering.

With a snort the thing outside left and nothing else came up, though many hair-raising howls echoed around the abandoned mine as the night wore on. When it was James' turn to keep watch, Mion couldn't sleep because of fear. He was right about that mine, there was a ghoul hive in there.

When the early morning came, Mion had panda eyes and was sleepy. When the brothers came out they saw several tracks in the snow, both small and large all leading to and from the nook and crannies of the mine where dark entrances led to the ghoul hive.

"You look terrible." said James, chuckling at his brother's weary look.

"Yeah, so you carry the bag." grunted Mion shoving the mountaineering bag in his brothers arms. James shouldered it without any complaints.

Lack of sleep wasn't something to chuckle about, but James would rather lift their spirits by joking around a little than worry out loud about his brother's state. Mion wasn't worrying out loud either, but he was sure his younger brother was anxious about his lack of sleep. You can't hike far if you lack sleep plus without breakfast too, and there was the danger of passing out suddenly.

They left the area in a hurry, talking all the while about where they were going to next and about the problem of food. They were starving having not eaten since yesterday's lunch. James decided to gamble on the radio to contact their friends. When they were evacuating the train they had not seen anyone bring a radio with them, but they may have arrived at the safe house already so it was worth a shot even though someone else might be listening in on their frequency.

The radio frequency of the team was 106.3, something all their radios are tuned into. "Base, this is Broadsword." radioed James. No reply. "Base, this is Broadsword . . . This is Broadsword, if there's anyone still alive, respond." he added voicing out for the first time the worry he had been feeling since yesterday.

There was a cackle in the radio and a voice they've never heard before spoke, "Hello, Dr. Cunning." said a shrewd man's voice. James stopped in his tracks. There was danger in that voice.

"Who is this?" said James calmly, though his fist was shaking. If the armed men made it to the base, were the rest of their friends still alive? He had seen Murf go down --- those feelings of shock, anguish, and then anger that he had pushed and locked away yesterday in his mind resurfaced --- and saw Nicolai grappling with one of their attackers, then heard the fire fight before they jumped, but he had no idea who won.

"Augustus." said the shrewd voice simply. " I have your friends in my possession . . . and the serum. Won't you join us here in your cozy safehouse? If you and your brother come, I promise to release them."

"Prove it. Let me talk to them." said James.

"Bring the girl." ordered Augustus to someone on the other side.

Minutes later the frightened sniveling voice of Samantha Grey whispered, "J-James? T-here's only twenty-eight of them!" she cried.

"Cover her mouth!" yelled Augustus as what sounded like a fight ensued.

"Sammy, they'll kill you, stop speaking!" yelled James his calmness gone. Mion immediately covered his mouth hushing him. James' yell echoed in the vast forest.

"Nicolai and Saiyuri escaped! --- Argh! Everyone else is dea --- " the radio went silent.

James cursed. His body was shaking in fear and anger. "We have to go to the safehouse." he told Mion, but his brother shook his head firmly.

"James, listen to me . . . No. Our best chance of survival and getting the cure is to find Nicolai and Saiyuri."

[1] - Go to the safehouse and rescue Samantha Grey, if she's still alive. (Distance 3: hours)

[2] - Go to the abandoned town of Westfall Valley. It's the likely place Nicolai and Saiyuri would go to escape pursuit since it's full of ghouls. There may be even other survivors. (Distance: 6 hours)

[3] - Go to the abandoned airport. We can't go and save or look for anyone when we're starving and this is the safest place to hunt or trap food, though there are wolves. (Distance: 8 hours)

Health: Hungry || Stamina: Good || Body Heat: Slightly chilled

Main hand: x3 shots, Suppressed pistol || Off-hand: none

Head: Wool cap || Chest: Winter jacket || Arms: Thick gloves || Legs: Hiking boots

[SIZE= 14px]- Backpack -[/SIZE]

1. Map
  2. x19 uses, Lighter
  3. Scalpel
  5. Biohazard suit

Mion's Current Backpack: Mountaineering Bag

2. 100% batt., Headlamp (equipped)
  3. Winter Clothes (equipped)
  4. x10 uses, Duct tape
  5. Map and compass
  6. Rope (25 ft.)
  7. Tent
  8.  x4 Candles
  9. x16 Cigarettes
  10. x10 uses, lighter
  11. 69% batt., Hand-held radio
  12. Ammunition kit
  13. x7 shots, old pistol
  14. Rusty knife
  15. 100%, Extra batteries (rechargeable)
  16. Solar charger - takes 8 hours to charge a pair of batteries.

Good:

1. Metal Thumb
  2. Passionate Virologist
    -
  3. Smooth Talker
    -

Bad:

1. Canine Allergy
  2. Honorable
  3. Limp Noodle

1. Dr. Mion Cunning

None

None

Spoiler

Crafting Recipes:

1. None

Construction Plans:

1. None

Users who are viewing this thread