Other Dead RPs, Dead RPs Everywhere

Yang Xiao Long

Sunny Little Dragon
Is it just me, or do RPs on this site last for an average of about 15-30 posts before they die due to lack of commitment?

Like personally I'm getting tired of the seeming lack of care for their work and other RPers people have when they just duck out of an RP without a word.

I have an rp, full of committed people who I have the utmost confidence in. I have no intention on giving up on the rp at all. Already got a plot going, it may get gory towards the end.

I have a quest I'm running (see sig, feel free to join in) that I fully plan on completing no matter what.

I agree though that it can be depressing seeing so many abandoned games.

I joined a dystopian vampire rp.
Didn't even start.

I joined a Payday 2 inspired RP.
I was the only poster.

I joined a sci fi hospital RP.
It has yet to start.

This is why I do 1x1s. Everything freakin dies, man.

I joined a dystopian vampire rp.
Didn't even start.

I joined a Payday 2 inspired RP.
I was the only poster.

I joined a sci fi hospital RP.
It has yet to start.

This is why I do 1x1s. Everything freakin dies, man.
Fair point, generally rps with more closely knit players last longer

I say this often, but I believe the issue steems from how roleplay is viewed. Because roleplay is a hobby people seem to expect it to be something where you just have fun and roll with it. Which, don't get me wrong, having fun is as good a goal for a roleplay as any other, but people act like it's the kind of fun you'd have with a videogame or show, you expect everything you have to do to come to you giftwrapped and to just consume the fun in a way, instead of having to create it. However, forum roleplaying involves writing, and writing is a productive hobby. You are effectively making something, and that means there are parts that will take a lot more effort, there will be tough times and there will be boring parts. However, many assume this isn't supposed to happen and so they quit whenver they feel like "they lost their muse" or somethin

I feel genuinely feel like it depends on the people, if everyone is truly enjoy the NG themselves and don't put too much pressure on the idea of having to have posts up every day, then they tend to put more effort into the rp. I'm in a good group rp right now where we take our time to get the best out of our posts, we encourage each other and gently remind each other when it's someone's turn to post. It's been going for quite a while now and we do have quieter moments but I'd be shocked to the core if this one died out.

^^^ PanOtterPus PanOtterPus nails a big piece of the puzzle. A roleplay lasts primarily because people are engaged and invested in the roleplay succeeding. If people aren't invested or engaged the roleplay dies. Unfortunately there isn't really any magic bullet way of keeping people engaged in your roleplay. People are different and they want different things out of different types of roleplays.

For instance what keeps a 1x1 chat based roleplayer engaged is gonna be different than what keeps a table top based group roleplayer engaged.

I also agree that it is easier to use 1x1s just by the nature of it being a more personal experience. You're only having to work on keeping one person engaged rather than a group of people. So it's easier to tailor your approach.

There are plenty of active comitted roleplays on the site, hundreds if not thousands. It is however much easier to see all the dead ones. Roleplaying on not just RpN, but any RP site I've come to notice is insanely fickle. Large groups of roleplayers like to roleplay their flavor of the week. Nothing wrong with that :).

With a little bit of effort, you can make the group you are looking for though!

I do 1x1 RPs.
I am incredibly picky about the person I choose to RP with. I ask for samples and give samples in return, helping to ensure I'm compatible with the person I'm thinking of RPing with. It generally works.

Although I'm on an RP hiatus at the moment, I'm currently in an RP that has been going for a year. I also have another one that I hope to pick up whenever I'm back to RPing again with a partner who has a long history of successful RPing wth me.

Perhaps you just need to be a little more selective with your RP choices. : h

I do 1x1 RPs.
I am incredibly picky about the person I choose to RP with. I ask for samples and give samples in return, helping to ensure I'm compatible with the person I'm thinking of RPing with. It generally works.

Although I'm on an RP hiatus at the moment, I'm currently in an RP that has been going for a year. I also have another one that I hope to pick up whenever I'm back to RPing again with a partner who has a long history of successful RPing wth me.

Perhaps you just need to be a little more selective with your RP choices. : h
This is where I'm kinda gonna have to disagree with you here. And go on a rant.

Fishing is a hobby, right? Reading is a hobby, right? Rping is hobby, right?
If I wanted to file for employment, I'd do that in real life, not a roleplay website.
JFC SO many people have absurdly high standards I mean like seriously? why do you (not talking about you in particular) absolutely require a potential partner to write mountains of paragraphs or write a novel? (Shudders in casual)
I mean Jesus Christ the first 5 pages for the looking for a 1x1 page require me to become this superhuman capable of dishing out at the very least 3 paragraphs full of detail every. single. time. I mean like I'm just looking for someone who can write words in English that can form a coherent sentence and move the plot forward
tbh I've just been in complete disbelief at the amount of perfection I must achieve in order to enjoy a hobby

again, to make this clear, I am not attacking anyone in particular at all, or in general. I'm just venting my frustration.

My standards are pretty simple.

Please possess a solid (not advanced, just solid) understanding of grammar and spelling.

Please possess a solid (not advanced, just solid) understanding of plot and pacing.

Please possess a solid (not advanced, just solid) understanding of character development and internal consistency.

Post length need not apply.

I've learned that sometimes things just happen. I've been in several roleplays were I thought the idea was utterly brilliant. The lore, characters, setting and plot - all of it seemed perfect. However sometimes shit happens. People get sick or have to deal with real life matters. Which is fine and I've been guilty of it to. Just make sure you let your group know out of kindness.

Also I've encountered people who simply want to escape from real life. Then once the role play seems dull they escape from that too. In the end you just need to find some solid people you like, work with them and make something happen.

Dedication, patience and understanding are all some good traits everyone should try to adopt if they want a role play to last.

All I tend to ask for is general grammar, some detail to respond to, creativity, and a heads up if they are bored, done, or going MIA for a bit. Inactivity happens unfortunately. I fight it with my fellow rprs all the time, but not once am I told that it's going to happen. I hate the anticipation after a day, a few days, a week...after a month I've officially moved on but knowing I've wasted that time being hopeful is rather annoying. Just a 'peace out' would be nice. It's not like I'm going to be angry. -That- is what annoys me. It always seems to be THE REALLY GOOD rprs too; the ones that challenge me and help me grow and the ones I look forward to the most.

I mean I'm pretty used to it, things happen, it's just frustrating when you've put a lot of time into it and every dropped RP is just dissapointment and a huge waste of your time.
I've become more selective of my partners, which has helped. A lot of my RPs get dropped but not as much now.
(Over 18 RPers, I tend to only accept those with decent gramar, for 1/1 rps if they don't know what they want to do I don't bother with them, if they don't seem excited and only respond with one word during planning I drop the RP, if they seem flaky I drop them).

This is where I'm kinda gonna have to disagree with you here. And go on a rant.

Fishing is a hobby, right? Reading is a hobby, right? Rping is hobby, right?
If I wanted to file for employment, I'd do that in real life, not a roleplay website.
JFC SO many people have absurdly high standards I mean like seriously? why do you (not talking about you in particular) absolutely require a potential partner to write mountains of paragraphs or write a novel? (Shudders in casual)
I mean Jesus Christ the first 5 pages for the looking for a 1x1 page require me to become this superhuman capable of dishing out at the very least 3 paragraphs full of detail every. single. time. I mean like I'm just looking for someone who can write words in English that can form a coherent sentence and move the plot forward
tbh I've just been in complete disbelief at the amount of perfection I must achieve in order to enjoy a hobby

again, to make this clear, I am not attacking anyone in particular at all, or in general. I'm just venting my frustration.

I wasn't talking about requirements. Just getting a feel for what that person's style is like. To pick up an example of yours, reading is a hobby for some, a passion for others. Some people can pick up any old book and have no complaints. Me, I can't-- I have to wade through lots of stuff that I know I wouldn't enjoy before I find something I do.

Some people can fish with a basic rod and reel and be happy. Others require more and prefer to fish with folks who fly fish, instead.

Samples can and do help. It was a suggestion for the OP to try. Instead of listing the annoying requirements in a search thread like you mentioned, tossing out a search sample could give you a lot more of an idea of what potential future RP could be like rather than: OMG you need to post 18.3 paragraphs in blue font twice on Tuesdays.

I hosted a RP once, but that died out quickly as I became distracted and lacked the commitment to continue. Now, since the Head GM of Millennium City is busy with real-life business and all the other GMs are either slacking, unwilling to help or also busy, I'm trying my ass off to keep it running, even if that means setting aside my IRL obligations. Thankfully, it's not dead yet. I get the occasional post every so often and the Discord is breathing, to say the least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back