• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Futuristic Dead Roads, Lonesome Drifters (A Fallout inspired Wasteland romp)

Resting Witch Face

breaking the laws of physics medieval style
1603800289102.png
Nobody knows how it happened, what brought about the end of the world. Some speculate that it was caused by the greed of men, or some other sin committed in the name of selfish intent. Perhaps they dropped bombs on each other during a Great War, killing millions, billion even, in a vain attempt to save their own power of office. Maybe they released something horrible, something eldritch and evil unleashed upon the world, sending it plummeting into dark depths of alien depravity and universal suffering for all living things. Or maybe God himself came down and took all the good people to Heaven, leaving us sinners to rot in this damnable hellscape we call home. Who knows? Nobody, I'd wager. However, there are some things known about it, even if we don't have a solid conclusion. One day, the elders say, everyone collectively flipped a metaphorical coin. The ones who got heads died on the spot, and the ones who got tails were left behind to populate a decaying world. Without half the world's populous there to keep it in working order, things deteriorated. Power plants fell into disrepair and some even went critical. Thousands upon thousands of military arms depots across the world were left unchecked, and soon those remaining found themselves heavily armed. Food quickly went from plentiful to scarce in a matter of months, and water with it.

No one remembers the name of our county. Best to say that it either never had one or that the borders defining it have long since eroded. Long gone are the days of nationalistic pride, then, if you have no name to idolize! Not that it bothers many, they're all too selfish to care about anything or anyone out past their personal bubble. If you don't know them, chances are they wont even give you the time of day. That being said, however, it's a gross average. A stereotype, if you will. There are camps, townships even, where people gather in groups and praise the old ways. Tales of camaraderie and sacrifice make their way around a lit bonfire, along with expired drinks and near-rotting food. Ironic, how they praise the lifestyle that led to this wasteland. It's sad to watch them toil, struggling to survive the harsh conditions set upon them by a cruel and unforgiving world, but they manage. That's what is truly fascinating about them. Despite everything, despite every head wound or stolen good, despite every lost family member and impossible odd, they stay cheery and upbeat. Maybe they're the pinnacle of the human race, persisting in the inhospitable wasteland as a sign of defiance against nature and the end that sought to extinguish their spark. Or perhaps they're just a bunch of fools waiting for the inevitable end. Depends on your perspective, I guess. It's commendable though, especially with all the cards stacked against them. There are just so many raiders, so many selfish individuals who don't see the bigger picture. No wonder so many are holed up with their guns close and their family closer.

With tensions on the rise, no one dares to mention the creatures that lurk off road. Nobody has come back to tell the tale of anything that was more than an overgrown rat, or some mutant bug hybrid, so most of them float from drifter to drifter as wild rumors. Rumors pass through the wastes surprisingly quick, and with them many stories of monsters. Eight foot tall mutant men, shambling and rambling incoherently. Bugs the size of your torso with a poison tipped stinger to match. Horrible amalgams of flesh and bone that used to be a living, breathing organism. People can dream up the fanciest ideas when they're scared, but some of them say it with such an eerie calm that you can't help but believe them. Then there are the legends. Tall tales of men who made the ultimate sacrifice, or beasts made to kill by either circumstance or malicious intent. As legendary as they are, no one has found them and lived to confirm their existence. Living in a lonely world, it's unlikely any single myth can be confirmed or denied in a single lifetime of searching and researching. But they're out there, somewhere, waiting for you to find them.

Staying in one place is a bad idea unless you've got a group or a defensive position, but of course there's the obvious setbacks to travelling as well. Food, water, shelter, aid. All important in their own right, but all very sparse and rare. Even defending yourself might prove a challenge, least after the first few fights. Guns will jam and break down without maintenance. Sticks and stones will crack after so long. It's not a matter of how good of a weapon you can find, but how long it can stay a good weapon and how little it takes to keep it that way. The best make due with whatever they've got, which is hardly anything on a good day.

You might be thinking to yourself, 'Why the hell even bother to try and make it out there? All that's waiting for me is death and disappointment, not specifically in that order.' and I'd say you were right on the money. But that's where the purpose reveals itself. You look at that wide, expansive wasteland like a laborer with a sledge looks at a brick wall. Sure, it's big and intimidating, but you've got the tools to tear it down in your hands. Use them, and break down that big damn wall, and I assure you what's waiting on the other side is worth it. Hell, it'd probably be exactly what you're after.

So, you've got the know-how and the spunk. You've got the metaphorical sledgehammer in your own two hands, with the endurance and strength to use it. Now that you've got a couple answers, how's a question sound?

Where to next? It's not like there's a coherent landmark to head to, but some gut feeling tells you you're heading in the right direction regardless.

(Hey there, if you haven't noticed already I'm the guy writing this, and pretty much winging it at that. I haven't put much effort into building a believable world, but that will come with time. If you made it this far, that means you must be really bored! That, or you're actually interested in taking part. Unlikely, but I'm not trying to be a pessimist here. If you're actually interested, pop a comment down below. HOWEVER, All first comments must adhere to a set of guidelines. First, I want you to say what you like about this idea. You've played Fallout before or some other post apocalyptic wasteland game and you enjoyed the setting? Let me know! Last, I'd also like you tell me what you think could be worked on about the few hook paragraphs I wrote for this RP. They're just to grab your attention, but they serve as an introduction to this little slice of a world I'm creating. If you're invested, you can help to make it better by giving some tips, or even just sharing your opinion on the subject. All feedback is not just approved, but encouraged!)

(more)RULES
Look, I'll just say it like this: DO NOT POST AN INTEREST CHECK IF THAT IS ALL YOU ARE GOING TO DO. Not to be a grumpy dick, but I can't tell you how annoying it is to think I'm ready to start only to go and grab some interest checkers and be met by silence. If you think it'll be fun, I'm glad to hear it, but please don't bother commenting if you're not willing to commit. I don't need you to report in every time I need a character post from you, but I at least want to know why you're delaying everyone else. If it's a valid reason, then it's fine. No worries, life happens. Just please consider the other players, more specifically their time.

With all that out of the way, time to wait a couple days to see who shows up. I'll make a Sheets page and OOC soon after posting this, which will likely be linked below. I'll be checking this page often too, I just get this craving to write a fictional world every now and then, so I'm a little antsy to get this show on the road. No rush to start, though. To quote a great movie, "You can't rush art."

Last edited:
I’d be interested in joining! Big fan of Fallout and the world it’s set in. Are you thinking of employing any of the usual factions or something more free-form?

I'm definitely interested in joining; even though I've only barely played Fallout (mostly on my older brother's computer), I have some experience with dystopian RPs. I honestly really like the open-ended way you've set up the world already, allowing people to come in and help develop it through roleplay or even just telling you some of their ideas—and also allows them to come up with their own mini character story-lines.

About the hook paragraphs, though... Maybe move the third paragraph to be the second paragraph? There'd have to be some rewriting done on that, though... Unless humans are the bigger threats, it looks like it is for this world? Lemme know if that opinion is wrong, though.

Yes, absolutely, WHERE DO I BEGIN?
Ever since the first Fallout game ( and when I finally got my hands on it ) I’ve been hooked on the apocalypse and it’s genre. I’m hoping to see more interesting mutants then ‘Super Mutants and Radscorpion O’clock’.

Last edited:
I posted some basic faction outlines, just something I came up with on the spot, but since Factions are usually an integral part of the wasteland (looking at you, Fallout 4) these can be worked on and expanded upon. Hell, there's a chance that none of them will be in the final product, unless any of you want to.

Also, I just wanted to cultivate a hostile feeling environment. Humans may not be the main threat, or the biggest threat, but they surely are more plentiful than your typical Deathclaw or Super Mutant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back