• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern DC'S TITANS - a comic book roleplay, ic

Characters
Here
Lore
Here

fin

"all i do is finesse, man."

"When the world is bleak, and people are troubled, there is simply no time for games. There is no more child's play."
- Bruce Wayne.

EnchantedScalyBedbug-size_restricted.gif

dick grayson
nightwing
big belly burger
anxious
classic black tuxedo

Saturday October 12, 2030.

On the outskirts of Gotham, Wayne Manor.

8:00 PM.

Night dawned over the city of Gotham but the landscape looked as dark now as it was during the day, like an eternal shadow haunted this vile city. Small beads of flashing yellow lights illuminated the nighttime skyline and made it easy to enter a trance watching it all from the master bedroom’s floor to ceiling window. Each of those lights represented a life, or lives, all of which were trapped in the Rotten Apple. The city Dick had once called home was more like the deadliest maze nowadays; the soreness of his wounds was a testament to that. He hadn’t gotten much closer to finding Jordan Weir- the Puppeteer. He was a metahuman foster kid, similar to him, who’d simply trickled down the wrong path. A minor criminal who’d grown up along with the Titans. That was still a sore memory nowadays.

Sometimes Dick wondered how things would have been if Bruce had never found him. If he’d killed Tony Zucco when he had the chance. Would he have ended up like Weir? A misguided kid unable to grow past the misfortunes of their childhood. Now, without Bruce’s guidance, would he revert back into that angry, frustrated kid? His knuckles ached, and he knew that as Nightwing maybe he- no, Nightwing was a necessity.

With Luthor ramping up metahuman restrictions, his laws crept dangerously towards persecution. Jordan was one of many young metas with criminal histories to suddenly disappear. It was a trend he’d discovered with access to GCPD files. He wasn’t just a mascot, as much as they pushed him to the side. He tried to do some work, however illegal it was. Dick remembered the distraught look on Jordan’s mother’s face when she stumbled into the police precinct. It was difficult to scream and shout for the justice of a man who’d used his golden, psychokinetic, thread-like tendrils to make people walk off buildings, steal for him, or worse. Face painted with the pale white and pink blush of a marionette. That sinister dark smile drawn from his jaw over to the edges of his lips like an actual puppet. The other officers had shrugged her off, but they did the same to Dick when he wasn’t cashing them a check or publicizing their new policies. They were both ghosts, himself and Iris Weir, and so he'd been there to speak with her on that day- to promise her that he’d find her son. He’d made that promise as Dick Grayson, and the Nightwing.

See, Jordan had fought at the Battle of Metropolis. A couple of villains had, banding together for the fate of the world as they all knew it. Since then Dick had been a shadow watching his progress as he received aid for his alcoholism. He was still a criminal but… He didn’t deserve whatever horrors he knew Luthor and his government had in plan for him. Luthor had let Gotham fall into disarray, and used the damages caused by unpatrolled crazies to justify the kidnappings of those trying to turn a new leaf.

That was three months ago and he felt like he’d made no progress. A mess of tapestry and pictures on a vision board in the Bat-Cave was still just that, a mess. This couldn’t have happened under Bruce’s watch. He’d have found the source by now, eradicating the problem all while the citizens of Gotham didn’t get a single whiff of it. Nightwing wasn’t so mysterious and in the shadows. Wasn’t so swift and precise. He didn’t even know what the problem was, and was simply operating off of suspicion.

Gotham was a mess in all facets. Ran by Mayor Cobblepot, riddled with street gangs, and infrastructural damages left destroyed since the battle five years ago. There was no way to find Jordan, on his own, or inside of Gotham. He knew it in himself, but kept coming back night in and night out. Gotham provided an infinite amount of punching bags. The media labeled him a spoiled brat, but he was a thirsty menace seeking out consistent violence. By staying in Gotham- by staying complacent, perhaps he was a spoiled brat. Or perhaps by leaving Gotham he’d be giving up on the city that had shaped him as a child.

It frustrated him, to be so in his thoughts without the tangy taste of an alcoholic beverage to soothe them. Or forget them. The muscles in his neck tensed.

Smooth, and delicate fingers snaked their way over Dick’s aching shoulder. They rubbed against the spot where the blows of thugs had connected with his person, and Dick winced for a moment but stifled any groans. Gotham faded out of his view, and suddenly the reflection of himself and Cat Grant appeared in the window’s reflection. Dick had forgotten that he was in a robe when he’d been gathering his thoughts, and Cat…well, in nothing at all.

“You’d rather brood at the window than join me in the shower?”

Dick sighed, but couldn’t resist that sure and serenading voice. Blue-gray eyes glanced back at his girlfriend. Their relationship was almost akin to the war Dick had been fighting in his blue and black costume. Like waters constantly crashing over rocks, or random, stray shrapnel ever prepped to seriously wound you. Their romance was highly publicized, and their arguments even more under the camera. Sometimes it felt like they were only ever a figment created by the media, but other times, when he was like a prisoner in his own thoughts, Catherine managed to free him.

“I was just… looking.” Dick answered dryly. Without the influence of a good bottle of wine, his responses tended to shorten. His mind wasn’t as lucid as he liked it, he was static and over thought everything.

“Gotham,” Cat voiced his thoughts. “They need what Metropolis has. State of the art drones, a military presence like ARGUS. The next Luthor… You.” She smiled.

Dick knew that she meant no harm, but her words felt like daggers beneath the silk blue of his robe. Comparing him to Luthor simply because they both helmed technology conglomerates. They were two completely different people, and for good reason. Dick preferred a wildfire to a police state any day.

“I’ll never be Luthor,” Dick responded.

Cat frowned in the reflection. “Not with that attitude. You want to save Gotham? Stop staring at it. I don’t think the 10 million people living down there all have access to a fortress on the hills outside of the chaos. At least Luthor is doing something.”

Sometimes Dick forgot that Cat was a reporter. On the gossip column, but a fierce journalist nonetheless. For a moment, Dick could feel it. His mind considered the offer Luthor had presented so many times over. Joining arms and investing in Luthor’s iron hand. Metropolis was at record low statistics nowadays, wasn’t it?

But then his train of thought skidded to a stop, his sight taken by the bloodied Nightwing mask that cloaked his eyes in the street. It sat there, still and unmoving on his dresser by his side of the bed. How the hell had he forgotten it there? He gulped, and tightened his arm around Cat’s waist.

“Shut up and come with me.”
Dick grinned mischievously at her. He pulled her into him and held her up by the legs. She peppered his neck with kisses as she was suspended in his grip. For a moment, his smirk soured as they settled over the mask again but they soon disappeared into the bathroom before Cat could spare her own glance backwards.

Dick wrestled with his tie and it was in doing things like this that he realized there were harder activities than fighting crime. His thumbs ached, and fingers throbbed. Tongue hung out of his mouth as his eyes narrowed over the tie, focused. He would have liked to leave his top buttons undone or to discard the tie entirely. Maybe rustle his hair a little bit, currently stiffened by mousse and gel. But Cat had said that this dinner was an important one. It was a big event at the bugle, it’s 79th anniversary and also the staple day to announce promotions. Cat’s promotion. A wide array of celebrity supporters would also be there.

“Relax, Tiger. Over… and under.” She fixed the tie for him, and when Dick looked up he couldn’t help but stare at the way that red dress hugged her figure. A brilliant pearl necklace adorned her exposed skin, bright sparkles brightened her ears and wrist, but none shone brighter than Cat herself.

Catherine let out a heavy sigh and hung her hands over his shoulders once she’d finished doing his tie. Her head dropped, and here lied on one of the rare occasions in which he’d seen this headstrong woman so distraught.

“What if I don’t get it, Dick?” Her voice trembled.

“Cat… That doesn’t even sound like you.” Dick chuckled, gripping her shoulders assuringly as she tightened her hands into a loose hug over his neck. “There’s nobody as qualified or as ambitious as you. That scoop you got on Cobblepot’s corruption and Gotham’s water contamination? Golden. You won’t be in the gossip column by tomorrow, I promise you.”

He pecked her on the cheek. Catherine picked up her purse and Dick, their coats. They headed for the front door, which was a lengthy walk through the Wayne Manor. Long enough for Catherine to bring up what Dick dreaded be mentioned in that time frame.

“I want to work the article on that alien story. The crashed-landed bombshell from the Titans. Starfire. You said it was dangerous but I want you to know that whether or not I get the promotion, I’m doing it.”

Starfire. A woman from another life.

Snap out of it, Dick. He caught Cat by the hand and stopped her by the dining hall.

“Why can't somebody else handle it? She isn’t exactly the first alien on Earth. You could get hurt before you make the most of the new gig.”

She pulled his arm away.

“She’s a hero. The Titans, the League, they made real changes. She didn’t attack the government. I believe Lex’s government shot first. You think I adore the bald man, I think he’s got demons too. I’m just telling the truth on both sides.”

The news about Starfire’s arrival was still very fresh in the media. Dick remembered exactly what he was doing when he had first come across it. Breakfast in the saloon on a day where Cat hadn’t slept over. Hadn’t scolded him to eat at the dining table. He choked on his meal while watching the television that morning. Alfred watched the Daily Planet dissection with him.

“In this breaking story, NASA and the US Space Force have put out a joint statement concerning the alien spacecraft detected entering Earth’s orbit fifteen minutes ago. Said craft is expected to attempt an entry into our atmosphere. If it does so soon, it’s expected to make planetfall somewhere over North America in the next 3 hours.”

Naturally, people grew hostile at the idea of a foreign alien strength. Hell, Dick had tensed where he sat on the living room couch. Was this the sign of yet another alien invasion? Even deeper within his psyche, he wondered, had his father returned? Would Bruce Wayne escape that spotty space pod and reaffirm all the irregularities in his life right now?

But his answer came in the news updates that followed shortly after. In the next hours, America and the world gasped and held their breath as they watched helplessly to see what to make of the mysterious arrival. Governments prepped war machines and ammunition, while families prepared to flee North America altogether- all of them scared by the events not yet five years ago.

“An update on the alien spacecraft story: The ship has been intercepted while still in the air via the combined efforts of the US Space and Air Force. Originally projected to land in Nevada, explosive aerial combat ensued over the rockies. US Forces and the alien craft crash-landed on the fringes of Utah. Within it was discovered a former vigilante and Tamaranean, Starfire. ‘Dudn’t matter what vigilante antics the extraterrestrial presence has conducted on Earth in past lifetimes. Her malicious advances against the US forces will not be tolerated. She will be punished accordingly,’ says General Lane. More on this to follow.”

The rest of the news had been a blur that Dick forced himself not to pay attention to. Starfire had returned almost as extravagantly as she’d disappeared. She’d gotten herself arrested by government forces with every right to be afraid of aliens. He hadn’t paid much attention to the news, but Cat’s next words made him wish that he had.

“Hell, if I don’t get the story out, they’ll kill her Dick.” Cat added.

“They’ll put her on due trial.”

“Powered kids are disappearing,” Dick wondered how she knew about that. His ears perked up, but his frown persisted as Catherine spoke. “Former crooks found and cooped up in prisons like stray dogs. What the hell do you think they’d do to an alien? They shot her craft on re-entry, she retaliated, and there’s proof in the story. There has to be. I don’t believe what they’re wringing out here.”

Jason had crossed paths with Dick shortly after the events of Starfire’s crash-landing. He’d heard about the mass of hobbies the Red Hood had picked up in his absence from Gotham. A hired pig- hired gun, working for crooks willing to pay a pretty enough time. Nothing Dick would ever have involved himself in, but nothing he was surprised that Jason would dabble into either. It’d been centuries since they’d seen one another but they both could only stare at the other through their cowls. Dick’s dark mask narrowed angrily over Jason’s emotionless bucket. They both had the same tick… Same as years before, they crashed into one another. Unrelenting as they traded blows beneath Gotham’s heavy rain.

Dick wasn’t sure why Jason had left the rooftops so abruptly, but he’d found the crumpled wad of paper tucked into the nape of his suit when he returned to the Batcave. Scrawled in it was an easily recognizable address, and two words; Orange Spice.

It’d always been a nickname for Koriand’r. Coriander. Orange-tinted skin. The Titans had joked about it as kids. The message was clear, and Jason knew that he knew it. He wanted to do something about the imprisoned former Titan.

Dick hadn’t planned to go. Whatever Kory was doing back on Earth, she hadn’t involved him. Now, Cat of all believed that she might have been in danger. For Cat, he would investigate. Either way, Jason would pull off whatever heist he wished to pull off. Dick knew that he likely wasn’t the only one invited to the gig either. He’d monitor them, make sure that Starfire was being wrongfully held, and intervene if the government had every right to see her as the enemy.

“Cat, you have to go alone.” He coughed out.

“Dick, you can’t really be pushing me away because of a news article.”

“It’s not the article, Cat. I’ll send flowers to your apartment in the morning. I’ll take you out to Geronimo’s and we can get a dinner to celebrate you getting the promotion. But I just remembered that I have to handle something tonight.”

“So you’re abandoning me?”

Dick thumbed at the bridge of his nose. “The butler will take drive you, Cat. The Escalade is out front. I’ve got something to handle.” He repeated.

“He can barely navigate the GPS system. He’s older than this mansion, Dick. You need to let go of this ancient ghost before he gets one of us killed-“

“Don’t. Don’t you talk about Alfred like that. I’ll see you tomorrow. You can walk yourself out. I'll tell Alfred that you're waiting.”

She did.

Big Belly Burger, the former daylight rendez-vous of the ‘Teen’ Titans. For years they colonized it as their own personal restaurant, all the grease they could have and room to bond outside of the cowl. Nowadays those blue and red neon lights were only a reminder of all what he’d lost. Or all who had abandoned him. Left him behind.

Would the other Titans be here? Perfect spot, Jason.

The dial tone of his telephone echoed in the night. It soon ceased, and the familiar voice of Alfred was at the line.

“Master Dick?”

“Hey, Alfred. Did you and Cat make it to the Planet’s event okay?” Dick asked, and glanced at the road beside him. Cars passed by the car where he had parked on the sidewalk, leaning on the back of a jet black Porsche that was almost invisible at this time of night.

“Having second thoughts about your brotherly reunion, sir?”

His jaws clenched but he shook his head. “No, no. Jason is not a threat. It’s Cat and I- we got into it a little bit before she left. I was wondering…”

“Miss Grant was quieter than usual during the drive but she is well. Go now.” The line was cut.

And so he did. It was dark outside, and yet the brilliant signage of the fast food joint was like a beacon drawing this moth towards it. Old feelings washed over Dick. He hesitated at the door of the old diner, but eventually chimed the soft ring of the bells and the door shut behind him.

Dick found a booth towards the secluded corner of the diner. It was rather empty at this time, and the nakedness of the small establishment made it easy to feel when someone was watching him. Or plural someone’s. The eyes of the waiting staff lingered over Dick Grayson, dressed and tidied in a suit in the middle of a middle-class Gotham neighbourhood. He was stuck out of place like a sore thumb, and cleared his throat to let them know he was in the know.

“I’ll order when my-” Dick rifled through his thoughts, searching for a word to describe his relationship with Jason. They weren’t friends, allies, or brothers. In his line of work, Dick had grown accustomed to sitting in meetings across from some of the greediest men in the world. Business executives looking to steal from the poor, conceal documents and portfolios, and intertwine a young businessman into it all.

“Business partner, arrives.” Dick answered simply. He hated the word so much that it perfectly reflected his emotions with Jason. Anything discussed tonight would be taken with a grain of salt. Jason was a senseless brute sometimes, but he was trained by Bruce Wayne too. He wasn’t a complete idiot, and his tardiness at his own invitation caused Dick to wonder.

His elbows simply stretched onto the table, his chin rested over the balled fists where both his hands met. He stared at the empty seat across from him, waiting.

Anticipating any and everything now. He would not be caught by surprise tonight.
coded by natasha.

mood: excited
Donna Troy

The beaming headlights on the highway had always reminded Donna of the stars she'd stare at with her sister while laying on the beach of Themyscira. The same stars she'd laid out on the grass outside of TItan's tower and named with Kory as the alien told her stories of other planets.

It had been a relatively short drive from NYC to Gotham, but the whole way Donna's head had spun with nostalgic memories of her former teammates. She hadn't seen them since the Battle of Metropolis when the Titans decided to disband, so seeing Starfire's name on the news a few weeks ago had been a complete shock. Kory was one of Donna's closest friends, the younger girl had cried for days after she'd left Earth five years ago.

So, when Jason had appeared on one of her nightly patrols, she'd just about leapt into his arms, even if he was supposedly a criminal now. It felt like the fates were pulling the Titans all back together again, she'd needed no convincing from Jason to meet up and discuss how to rescue their former teammate.

The Amazon had always had her teammates backs, no matter how long they'd been separated, they were still her teammates. Even after Jason's betrayal so many years ago, Donna still wished nothing but the best for him. Each Titan had to find their own way in life, and Donna would support them in whatever path they chose.

Even Donna had made a life for herself after the Titans split, going to college and starting a normal career, all the while making a name for herself on the streets as the crime fighter Troia. So why did Donna still feel so empty?

She'd tried dating in college, but having a healthy relationship and hiding a secret identity from your partner was impossible. It was no wonder that Dick's relationships always crashed and burned.

In fact, it was hard to maintain any relationship and fight crime at the same time. The only real relationships Donna had ever had were with those she'd risked her life for every day. There was something sacred about the bond you shared with those you'd lay down your life for.

As she pulled into the dinner's parking lot, Donna was suddenly anxious. What if her friends didn't want to see her? It had been so long, maybe there was a reason they hadn't contacted her. Shoving her anxiety back down into the pit of her stomach, Donna steadied herself and walked through the dinner door that she'd pushed through countless times with her friends.

She wrung her hands as she looked around the dinner, looking for Jason but spotting another former Robin instead. Her favorite Robin, the Boy Wonder himself. Dick Grayson had been her best friend since the moment Diana had introduced them over ten years ago. They were very different in certain aspects, but both had the same sense of duty that helped them lead the first generation of Titans.

"Dick?" Donna called out as she approached the booth, standing silently for a moment to assess the man before her. They'd still been kids the last time she'd seen him, and the newspaper clippings were nothing compared to the real thing before her. It was surreal, a reunion she'd dreamed about for the last five years.

The last time she'd spoken to Dick they'd exchanged some heated words. He'd been adamant about disbanding the Titans, but Donna had argued that he was being irrational and dramatic after Starfire's sudden departure.

The Amazon slid into the booth across from him, certain that this was all a part of Jason's elaborate plan.

"It's really good to see you."

• outfit

coded by reveriee.

CPdpG1S.png
Ottara DeLamb Markovia aka Tara/Terra
It certainly had been an interesting week, all things considered, though as Taras's worn pickup continued to roll along the rainy Gotham streets she could only think back to what brought her here. Her personal soul searching since the revival had taken her across the breadth of the Americas in the past few years, the time since her death seemed to have changed things and not for the better, but at least she had been able to travel without being recognized. The lack of a mask and new perspective certainly helped, but in retrospect, it was like she was taking her steps again for the first time, no more sensation of danger behind her nor pretending to be someone she wasn't, she could maybe have found a happy peace along the way...if it wasn't for the Parliament's cryptic words and those emerald eyes she couldn't shake from her sleep.

Though all things could come to end, and for her, it had been a greasy diner in Marlin, the trusty truck that had taken her so far seemed to be on its last legs and was currently in the local garage while she passed the time staring out into space with a thin cigarette hanging from her lips. Her attention was brought back to reality by a middle-aged waitress putting down a bill and she was abought to pay before she stopped noticing a small card sticking auspiciously out the side, stopping her hand cold as she noticed the tiny inscription in its corner. The moment she had seen it she realized what she had to do, so dropping some cash on the table and picking her vehicle up she would find her way off to the city of Gotham.

Back in the present she had finally pulled into a familiar parking lot and exited into the rain, pulling up a collar and adjusting a baseball cap as she walked across to the Big Belly Burger and the flood of memories it brought to her.

f0428127938ad1ac0aea23fcf152ad00.jpg

Jason Todd

Red Hood

Saturday October 12, 2030
Center city
7:30 PM

Jason set his feet, squared his shoulders, and aimed before he shooting his shot. He watched as the downward arc of the orange ball as it landed inside the net of the basketball as he made a flawless three point shot, calls of "Good shot." and "Way to go." Reached him as him and two other guys he started a pickup game with ran back to their side of the court as the other team passed the ball in. Jason lowered lowered his stance when his opponent began sizing him up at the top of the three point line, the guy was smaller than Jason but his dribbling was immaculate, he began doing behind-the-back spins and fast crossovers to try and break Jason down although it had worked before, Jason had caught on to his opponents timing and when he had just finished a crossover Jason lunged for the ball and poked it lose before stealing it. A large crowd had gathered to watch the friendly game and began to cheer when Jason charged down the court, knowing that the next bucket would end the game, as well as wanting to show off a bit, Jason took a quick gather before launching himself into the air from the free throw line with a shout, although he wasn't incredibly tall, his training with Bruce and the league made it easy to mirror Michael Jordan's famous style of dunking, he cocked his arm back and slammed it down. The small crowd went wild when he landed, Jason wiped sweat from his brow with the sleeve of his Gotham Knights sweatshirt. His two teammates came over and clapped him on the back while hyping him up to the crowd. Jason got ready to play another when he looked down At his phone and saw it was 7:30, "shit..." he muttered as he grabbed the small bag on one of the benches of the basketball park. "Sorry guys, I gotta be somewhere, we'll ball up again tomorrow." he said as he got the strap of the duffel bag over his shoulder and walked over to his old jeep.

Jason's thoughts turned towards his old friends and teammates while he navigated the traffic of Gothan, during the battle of metropolis, Jason had tried to do the right thing, to help his old friends, it wasn't enough, Jaime was ripped apart in front of him, and Gar had died as a result of Rachel unleashing her powers. The suicide charge he underwent after it looked like the titans weren't going to make it was supposed to be exactly that, suicide, but the world was funny like that, good people like Gar and Jaime were killed... but people like Jason, the ones who deserved death always seemed to be left after the dust settled. Then there was the problem of the present, how would anyone who actually decided to meet at the old spot react, although he would like for them to think that he was trying to change, tracking down and stalking people who didn't want to be found didn't exactly paint Jason in a positive light. His meeting with Dick was much more direct, and much less cordial. The bad blood that Jason and his adoptive brother had only festered after he had left the U.S. and went on his sojourn. Everything from before, his killing of Brother Blood, what he did when he first adopted the name of Red Hood, and his intervention at Metropolis drove a wedge between him and Dick which only seemed to get worse whenever the two met. His ribs still hurt from their most recent exchange, Dick still seemed hell bent on following In Bruce's footsteps and staying on his high horse, but Dick was blind towards what Gotham had become, it didn't need a savior anymore, it was beyond saving. What Gotham needed now was a punisher, someone to make those who would do wrong fear the repercussions of their actions. A scowl had formed on his face while he was lost in his thoughts.

He turned down 5th and Broad easing his old SUV into a parking spot next to a jet black Porsche, no doubt Dick's, subtlety was not his strong suit it seemed, Jason mentally reminded himself to keep the arguing with Dick to a minimum. He killed the engine and stepped out of his car onto the sidewalk, he had a lot of memories of this place, he remembered coming to the Big Belly Burger after he had convinced Gar, Vic, and Jaime to sneak out with him to go see a concert, needless to say they were caught coming back and he caught hell from Dick, looking back his time in the titans were some of the best in his life, the memory bringing a small smile to his face. With a shaky exhale Jason walked inside he saw Dick and Donna sitting across from each other, it almost seemed as if nothing had changed from the good times, but those were gone, and he had a job to do. Part of him feared that even though they showed up to the meeting place they wouldn't want to hear what he had to say, just accuse him of wrongdoing and condoning his actions. He hesitated at the end of the table, his fear of rejection getting the better of him, unsure if he should even attempt to sit with his former friends. "Hey guys..." he said quietly, looking down at his feet. "Mind if I sit down?" he said as he shifted his weight from either foot, anxious towards their reaction of seeing him again in the flesh.

fin fin a z u l a a z u l a

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back