• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom DCNU: Neo Universe

OOC
Here
Characters
Here

thatoneguy911

• (NOTE: If there is a location you would like added as a separate tab, simply ask me in the OOC thread.)

The Brave and The Bold.

DC-Comics-Banner-770x300.png

The cities of Gotham and Metropolis have found themselves in a peculiar situation. People have been reported missing in both cities, as if en mass. Several vital computer systems in S.T.A.R. labs have gone haywire, receiving strange and distorted messages from an unknown source. On top of all of this, reports of strange creatures have been occurring in the back alleys and dark underbelly of both cities. These reports have been largely ignored by the powers at large, however for those who work beyond the reach of the law, these reports can no longer be ignored.

There must be a connection between the cryptic signals, the dozens of missing persons, and the strange sightings, and as masked heroes, you have taken it upon yourselves to unravel this mystery.

{ENCRYPTED MESSAGE, THAAL SINESTRO, GREEN LANTERN CORPS}

*Greetings Green Lantern, Sector 1417. This message has been delivered to you in utmost secrecy. Approximately twenty solar days ago, the Green Lantern of Sector 2184 [Abin Sur] has failed to respond to any and all attempts to communicate with him. We fear that an ill fate may have befallen him, however his lantern ring has yet to return to Oa. This suggests that Abin Sur may yet live, however his lack of contact with the Guardians is concerning. Should you discover that Abin Sur has indeed been killed, it is of utmost importance that you retrieve his ring. Even more troubling, should you discover that Abin Sur has gone rogue, we entrust his arrest solely to you.

Abin Sur's last known location was on the planet locally known as "Earth", residing in sector 2184. More specifically, a human settlement known as "Metropolis". The local population should provide little threat, however we have concluded by studying his ring's most recent transmission that Abin Surr engaged in battle with a species not native to the planet. We urge caution.

Good luck, Thaal Sinestro.

-END TRANSMISSION *

RULES

1. The main common one. Respect RPN and its rules.

2. Any questions or intrigue about the plot or story come to me! I love hearing ideas even if we don't incorporate them.

3. OOC will be friendly and respectful. IC be extra and add flair all you'd like BUT...

4. BE REASONABLE. Realistically adapt and grow into characters and make logical choices based on who they are.

5. I do not mind if you guys subplot romance. I support it as well and will probably bring my character to it. Just keep it PG-13.

6. If you cannot post due to IRL or other reasons please post in consideration of everyone else. I'm interpreting this RP to go relatively fast pace wise not too speedy, so if you need assistance ask and you shall receive! And...

7. If you do fall too far behind or get in a hole you cant climb out of that doesn't mean you're done for. Unless you're intentionally a jerk or going against the tide of the plot, you can get back up to pace.

8. If you band together, or fight amongst each other IC, coordinate with each other as I will be overseeing those situations with a final outcome, but stay true to character and drama. Don't force it just because you want to.

9. HAVE FUNNNNNNNN!!!!!

10. IF YOU MAKE TERRIBLE, STUPID CHOICES YOU> WILL> DIE/SUFFER. Please be realistic and do not mary/gary sue or try to god your way through a situation, unless you're literally sacrificing yourself.

11. Now, if you read, accept, and understand all rules TO SEE THAT YOU PAID ATTENTION: At the end of your CS, write a sentence mentioning a quote specifically about a location in the DC Universe that your character likes.

• This will be a fairly mature RP with themes of death, brutality, suggestive themes, drugs, grit, etc. (Have you heard of Gotham City?)
    • No mary / gary sues... for obvious reasons.
    • I want to use Concept Art or Digital Art pics, which are basically a mix between realistic pics and cartoon like pics. Perfect examples would be like Batman here, or Superman here, and pictures like this for alter-egos or human characters.
    • Do not join if you know you'll ditch or not stay committed, this is a expansive RP and everyone will matter and be important no matter who they play.
    • Be reasonable enough to know if you pick a lesser character/power you may not be able to hang with the likes of Darkseid and such. As well as knowing not to expect team ups like Teen Titans to happen before the JLA is even formed. Everything will have an organic approach.
    • It's preferred that if you play a non-powered/vigilante character you would have been working for some time in secret.
    • It's preferred that if you play a powered/meta character that you're creating an origin point for getting your powers, or just very recently getting them. There will be a few exceptions just ask me first if your character would be one depending on who you choose.
    • As I mentioned, characters may be altered in appearance and slight alteration to backstory, but be sure to keep the key events the same (Ex. Batman's death of parents can't change, but they way they died can be || Superman cannot change that he crash landed on Earth, but maybe he's Daxamite instead of Kryptonian or maybe Kara landed first and was adopted by the Kent's instead of him.. etc.)

Last edited:
Batman, Gotham City, Exterior
A small puff of breath penetrates the cold night air, as a dark figure stands watch over an isolated alleyway below. The sounds of sirens, gunshots and broken glass sing through the skies, acting as the typical evening chorus to this steel monstrosity of a city. Plenty of opportunities, plenty of reasons to strike down mercilessly on those who would pray on the innocent. Tonight however, the Batman's focus was on something else entirely. Over the last few weeks, an alarming number of Gotham residents have been reported missing. Usually such an occurrence was common place in Gotham, however there were an irregular amount of oddities this time around. Most notably, the fact that so many have vanished in such a short time frame, along with the additional peculiarity of these strange 'sightings'.

Bruce was a practical man, however these reports still troubled him. It would be far from the first time he has run into a seemingly impossible anomaly, but even this was pushing it. Grotesque 'creatures' lurking in the shadows, snatching up anyone unfortunate enough to wander too closely. Regardless if the rumors held true or not, Bruce was determined to get to the bottom of this.

The sound of radio static breaks the Batman out of his train of thought, as a familiar voice speaks to him through his cowl's built in earpiece.

"Master Bruce, I have collected the case files you requested for one 'Brendan Williams', born July 8th 1985. He is one of the unfortunate people to have been abducted within the last seventy two hours. It appears that he was last seen in the alleyway below..."

As Alfred laid out the dossier, Bruce surveyed the alleyway from on high. From the sounds of the initial reports, Brendan Williams was last seen fleeing into this alley shortly after a break and entering. Brendan has had no contact with any friends or relatives since the incident, nor any bank transactions, phone calls or any other signs. He simply fell off the face of the Earth, as if he never existed. This had been the case with every other missing persons.

"Thank you, Alfred. I'm moving in to investigate." Batman responds in his regular cold, matter of fact fashion. A deep sigh could be heard on the other end of the radio.

"Sir, not that you'll listen to me, but do be careful. As unlikely as it is that you will be beset upon by an ungodly creature, you should still.."

Before he could even finish his sentence, Bruce was ready with a reply.

"I'm always careful."

Descending into the alleyway, Batman took a moment to examine his surroundings. It was dark, deserted, and littered with trash. No different than the many other back alleys of Gotham. Despite this, Bruce simply couldn't shake the feeling that something was... Wrong.

Last edited:
thatoneguy911 thatoneguy911
The Magnificent Zatara had been lucky to receive so many missing person cases in his email. Desperate old ladies wondering where their kids have wandered off to, and the only one to turn to is this washed-up magic man. Luckily for this desperate old lady, she had the funds to spare. Brendan Williams was the bounty, and with a hair sample and a quick talk with his mother, Zatara set out looking, starting with his last known location, an alleyway in downtown Gotham. Zatara arrived at the alley late at night, and summoned up a spell. "Kart Nadnehrb", he spoke, and his hands lit up with purple light. He was blissfully unaware of the Batman lurking in the darkness.

Mr. Zero, Gotham City, Uncle Joe Beef

"One....two....three....five hundred...." he counted, making his run through the freezer section. Counting and making sure that, they weren't short on anything. They had enough problems with accidents here, the last thing he or the other workers needed - was for something to be missing. Namely he worked in the Cooler Section, or that was how the others called it. People whom were desperate for work - Hispanics, blacks, undocumented migrants or simply the lower section of Gotham. Although for the former Doctor Victor Fries - it was a decent place, his body wasn't much affected by the biting cold that left many others usually with pneumonia or frostbite. It required a simply a good pair of eyes and a decent skill in math - nothing major.

The pay wasn't overly high, still, it was as decent a job as any - for those, whom would either have to choose between work and crime. Plus, it was the only place in Gotham - where the manager didn't mind his rather long rap sheet. As far as he was concerned - if he could work, he would do so. Plus they had plenty of cameras and guards - if anything went awry then they could easily react to issues.

Heck - he even had made a small dent for himself in the meat packing industry. Namely he was in-charge of over two-hundred shipments, that would go to stores around Gotham. It made him have a sense of purpose - plus it afforded him a job, where he could walk around without being in his suit. Everybody else had mostly treated him decently - they weren't about to judge a man. Since they weren't any higher on the company' totem pole than he was. If anything they were glad that he worked the Cooler Section - since he didn't have to worry about getting a cold, he was more than able to handle the work-load of three people and he had twice the amount of work space for himself.

If one considered three lockers instead of one, extra space...

"Uhhh....Jimmy. We got one unopen crate here. Missing three pounds of pork as well. Have it refilled..." He spoke, soon finishing a call to his manager - as he got to work, getting it into position with a forklift. That was before he got another call. "Hello? Mr. Fries here."

"Hello. Am I speaking with Doctor Victor Fries? Ph.D in Advanced Physics, Thermodynamics and Engineering?"

"That was years ago. But yes, I am. If not employed anymore in that field," he replied - not needing a reminder on how his mind of science, had been turned towards anarchy, chaos and crime.

"I am speaking on behalf of Star Labs. We've been having some problems with our computer hardware. I know, your field of expertise is not that - we are rather more interested in what and to whom they are transmitting raw data towards. Your one of the few people with that knowledge and...option of discretion. But we'd like you to come and visit us as soon as possible. Since this incident has continued for several days now and it is interfering with our work."

"Very well. I'll come over today. Should be only a few hours in the train. Yes, yes. Goodbye," replied Victor, soon ending the call. That was strange indeed - he had heard of people going missing and weird things happening in Gotham and elsewhere. But he hadn't expected Star Labs to also be connected to this. He hated to call it aliens - but with what he had seen throughout his fifteen years of this life, anything was possible.

----------------------------
Once his shift was finished, Victor Fries soon enough pulled on his suit. Namely the undersuit - which was basically a custom made wetsuit, designed to keep the wearer as cold as possible. Then came the gloves, boots. His jacket, that circulated air through its various inter-woven micro-tubes to filter as much heat away from his body. Then finally, the helmet.

It hid the man, that had once been Mister Freeze from the world. In its stead was Mister Zero. Both to symbolize how far he had fallen and also, from where he would begin again. Once that was on, he breathed in and out - the specialty made suit, getting to work. It was much better than his old fridge - if at the cost of reducing him to a mere man. But, if he was able to walk and socialize without looking like a freak of nature - then that would do.

He soon slipped out the main exit of the Facility - before he got out his phone and dialed in a code. The slight buzzing was soon replaced by a minor voice activator. "Mister...Zero. Contact. Batman," he spoke.

Authorization granted. Please hold. Establishing contact with Batman.

Victor started walking towards the train station at that, while he waited for the call to go through. The darkness of the night helping to hide, the unique man heading for the subway. Until eventually the call went through. "Batman. Its Mister Zero here. I am heading out of Gotham to Metropolis. Got a call from Star Labs. It seems that something is wrong with their computers and transmitting some strange signal. They want me in to investigate, where this signal is transmitting towards."

When that was done, he ended the call and put the phone back in his pocket. The special system, that Batman had installed would prevent anybody else from being able to listen-in. Not to mention, it allowed Victor to have a direct access to the man, whom had in essence saved his estranged wife and him from the darkness.

When that was said and done, he got on board the sub-way train. Glad it was empty, except for the controller who came to punch in his ticket - as he slowly made his way towards Metropolis.

Last edited:
Vic groaned. He had done some detective work at Gotham, after looking into the dissapearences of people. Nothing really came up, so he decided to just go and find any gang to fight. He worked for hours beating people up, and then got in his apartment and passed out on his bed.

He slowly got up and rubbed his eyes. He slowly took off his shirt and coat and looked at scars from the fights. He sighed and got some beer out. He brought some to the motel he stayed in. He grabbed one and drank it all in a few minutes.

He looked outside and still realized it was dark out. He threw away the beer and put his clothes back on. He got his cigarette case and grabbed his mask and put it in his bag. He then grabbed his camera and put it around his neck.

He walked out of the motel and walked down the streets of Gotham. He took some photos of the buildings, and looked around. Nothing Intresting was happening yet.

Robin
Gotham City; Exterior

As the shadow of the Dark Knight loomed in one of the alleyways of Gotham City while conducting an investigation, another silhouette was also present nearby the alleyway, even if not standing directly in it. The secondary figure was much smaller in stature, and was huddled up on one of the flat rooftops that overlooked the alley. While the little figure wasn't easily seen from the streets below, once one noticed his irregular presence, it could easily be noticed. The costumed silhouette had a primarily bright red and green costume, with a pale yellow cape draped around his shoulders to top off the color scheme of a traffic light. Nevertheless, despite this outlandish and seemingly very noticeable garb, he kept mostly out of sight while perched on the corner of the rooftop's edge, at least as out of sight as he could be. The small but lithe figure that appeared to be little more than a boy was Robin, Batman's young associate and partner.

At the moment, even though it would seem that the boy should be in the alleyway as well in order to assist his partner, at the moment he was not peering down at the alley, but was rather studying something that he held in his green gloved hands. What he held appeared to be a small device of some sort, like a scanner. The eyebrows behind his domino mask were furrowed in concentration and puzzlement as he stared at the quietly beeping device in his hands. Eventually, after a few more moments of looking at it, Robin reached up to tap a communication device in his ear, a small grin momentarily appearing on his features as he did so. Until now, the boy had just been listening to the exchange between his mentor and their butler, Alfred, but now his own lighthearted voice came through on their line of communication. "I'll make sure he is, Alfred." He said this in a reassuring and slightly amused way, before getting back to business.

Robin's smile faded and his expression became a bit more grave as he continued after a short pause, his tone of voice more serious and business like than before. "Batman, so far I'm not picking up anything too out of the ordinary on the scanner, but... something's not quite right with it; almost like something down there is interfering with it, maybe. I'll try to figure out what's going on." After tapping his communicator again and temporarily signing off, he let out a sigh of resignation, before once again peering at the scanning device and fiddling with a few of its buttons. He had been sent to the rooftop in order to keep a lookout and also scan for signs of anything abnormal that might have been there, but so far he wasn't getting anywhere as long as the scanner was acting up. For the next few minutes, he tried to figure out what was wrong with the device, without much luck.

Suddenly, something on the scanner appearing that didn't go haywire caught his attention, which seemed to be another heat signature of some sort that was approaching, before everything went blank again. Robin perked up upon noticing this anomaly, and quickly peered down towards the street where he had seen the approaching signature. Sure enough, it was an approaching person alright, someone who seemed to be a somewhat elderly man from what he could tell from his vantage point. The boy tensed up upon seeing this, immediately getting in communication with his partner, and this time speaking in a lowered voice. "Batman, watch out, someone's heading your way." Once having alerted his partner, he set the scanner down beside him, before leaning over the edge of the rooftop slightly in order to keep an eye on the nearby stranger. As he did so, he changed his position slightly, so that he could have a better view of the alley. He watched as the man headed down the alleyway, before eventually stopping. The masked sidekick watched apprehensively, hoping that the man would turn out to just be a civilian or common thug that could be dissauded away easily enough.

Robin's masked eyes soon widened however, as all of sudden a supernatural purple glow lit up in the alleyway. He caught his breath, startled by the sudden flash of purple that had seemed to appear from nowhere, right around that stranger of a man. "Woah..." The boy couldn't help but murmur this in astonishment, certainly taken aback by the mysterious stranger, and now most certainly on guard about what the man might do next as well.​

Batman, Gotham Exterior
"I can always count on you, master Grayson. Do be careful yourself." Alfred responds to Robin's reassurances.

Batman continued to search the alleyway for any clues, any remote clue that would narrow down his search. His investigation was cut short by another comm channel demanding his attention. Bruce's eyes narrow as he listens in on the communication from Fries, formally Mr Freeze. This couldn't be a coincidence, Star would not contact someone with Victor's checkered history unless things were dire. This was much more serious than it appeared to be on the surface. Whether it had any connection with the missing persons was still up for debate. Bruce momentarily contemplated paying STAR labs a visit in person, though quickly dismissed the thought. He couldn't simply abandon his investigation.

Batman was still weary about working with the former criminal, though he had to admit that Victor has seemed sincere with his efforts to change. That is not to say that Bruce hasn't taken precautions... A small tracker woven into Fries' suit, transmitting his location at all times of the day. Victor would not speak to anyone, nor go anywhere without Batman finding out about it, that was part of the arrangement. Bruce would also know if Victor attempted to tamper with the device in any way, and it was likely Victor himself knew this. Batman believed in second chances... Third chances, not so much.

Despite the vigilante's blatant lack of trust towards Victor, he deemed it the right move to allow him to visit STAR labs. Without saying a word, Bruce pressed a small button on his gauntlet, sending a signal to Victor's phone letting him know that he had the Batman's blessing to leave Gotham.

Footsteps, heading towards the alley. With zero hesitation, Batman had already lost himself in the dark shadows of the alley, watching for the newcomer like a predator waiting for it's prey.

The vision in Bruce's cowl switched to night vision mode, as well as enabling the built in heartbeat sensor. He would spot this intruder long before he was even aware he was being watched. Stifling his own breaths as if to not give himself away, Bruce peers around the corner of a pile of rubble he had taken refuge behind. Listening carefully to Robin's situation report, Bruce responded quietly, under hushed breaths.

"I see him. Robin, keep your distance. Do not engage unless I signal you, are we clear?" Bruce was never in the mood to be second guessed.

Peering to get a look at the man, Bruce's eyes widen at the sudden realization of just who it was.

Giovanni Zatara. He had taught Bruce Wayne in the practice of escape artistry during his time before Batman. He had not seen the man in well over a decade, and he certainly didn't know that Bruce Wayne was Batman.

For the short time that Bruce had known Zatara, he had never known him as a criminal. Could his magic be responsible for these disappearances? As unlikely as it was, it was not an outcome Batman could just ignore.

By the time the vibrant purple light illuminated the dark alley, the Batman had already found himself towering behind the aging magician. He had moved quickly, and without so much as a noise. The purple light danced off the Dark Knight's silhouette as he looked down upon Zatara with a deadly glare.

"Giovanni Zatara. I wouldn't do that, if I were you." Batman says from behind the man with a low, menacing tone.

NPC, Near Vic
This night seemed like any other night in this hellhole of a city. Various shady people, prostitutes and general vagrants passed around him like a sea of scum, the nightly inhabitants of Gotham.

As Vic continued about his business, he would hear a loud scream, presumably from a woman, coming from underneath a nearby overpass tunnel.

SuperGirl
Metropolis

The day had been long for Claire she had not done much super hero work and that meat she had to do more college stuff, and as she did that telecommuting thing for most of her classes she had way to much homework for one person to do. Still now that she sun was down Claire had decided to start doing some heroing as even knowing someone like her was around people still committed crimes, and in all honestly she was not sure how to feel about that, on one hand she knew it meant that she wasn't being some oppressive scary tyrant but on the other it wasn't getting people to do much. Well this was still really early to actually expect any results good things took time. while the day had been quite even she was aware of the strange rise in odd occurrences and computer issues, or at least what was published in the news, apparently some reported Louis Lane could get anyone to spill the beans.

Claire had no real idea what was going on and she didn't really have the connections to know soon who could figure it out, she could tell they were connected but the issue was just what was going and who was causing it. she did think about seeking out a certain other hero the public knew of, well really the only other hero the public knew of but still she wasn't exactly sure how to get in contact with him as the guy liked the shadows and she didn't sneak about. So it seemed her hands were tied for now and Claire was willing to let others investigate these events if something big came she was sure at least one official would try to contact her if only out of desperation. She really needed to get a cellphone or something so she could know when someone needed her.

These were all matters for latter, for now Claire was flying through the night sky looking down to the streets to see what crime might being going on. She avoided using her powers to spy on what was going on in the building giving people privacy, though people who were out on the streets were fair game. Still form what she saw the city was quiet, but she had to be very Vigilant as who knew when she might find something to do or someone to save.

"Ah, a fan, perhaps?" Dispelling the tracking spell, Zatara put his hands to his sides. He straightened the track jacket hung on his shoulders, and with the combative speed of a man 60 years his lesser, he turned. "Yawa og!" Zatara attempted to put up his hands to blast away the intruder, praying he had enough energy in him for a serious fight. He would never stand for the indignity of falling prey to some common thug while wearing sweatpants. When he gazed upon the menacing cowl of the bat, his confidence wavered, just for an instant, but he felt the spell release from his palms.

thatoneguy911 thatoneguy911

Mr. Zero, Metropolis, Star Labs

Victor noticed the slight buzz inside his pocket. It seemed that he had managed to achieve some measure of trust - seeing as his unofficial handler had allowed him to leave Gotham. Nevertheless, he knew that Batman likely had some hidden tracker somewhere on him. One which neither he nor any official scanner would be able to pick up on. Victor didn't mind it anymore - if it meant, that he wasn't locked up in a jail cell. Plus one could never be too careful with people from Arkham - although he wouldn't call himself much an Arkham resident and more of a guest.

Old thoughts aside, he soon enough got off the train - after riding for an hour to Metropolis. He nonetheless pulled on a hood to cover his metal mask - no need to scare people, at this late of night. He had plenty of things on his plate already - the last thing he needed to do, was getting accidentally accused as a kidnapper or shot by the police. Still, he paid the extra money to get there via taxi - despite the cab driver being a bit...frightened by his appearance. Although his mood did improve, when Victor got off at his destination and paid the fee even - despite the nervous cab driver, not mentioning it.

----------------------------​

Once he got inside Star Labs - he was immediately subjected to numerous scans - despite being an invited guest. Both X-ray and infrared - they needed to make sure he wasn't carrying anything on him, since he did have a history of being not the most upstanding citizen. At least he didn't have to remove any of his clothing, since that would have been bad for his health in many ways.

When he had completed the scans, he soon got assigned two armed guards - whom soon had him escorted to the central section. Namely where a small team had been assembled, whom had their own gear and equipment - that wasn't linked to the main power grid. Since they still had no clue, whom or what was responsible for it. They had even gone so far, as to set up their own network - to prevent a repeat of what had disabled Star Labs computers.

Soon enough, they shared what they had gotten with Victor. Which wasn't much, as both of the sensitive data was blacked out. But computers were never his specialty - making physics dance like his Nora, was what he was good at. "My expertise aren't in cracking whomever hacked this system. Although if it is extraterrestrial - then in my advise it might better to pull the plug on everything. Trying to match our technology with their own - as evident at the current situation might be almost futile."

"Still. Our best bet might be to track this thing down," replied Victor. "Now. My skills in Astrophysics might be a bit rusty. But our best bet is to find the source."

Namely he had the techs bring up the map of the solar system and everything beyond it. "Okay...this is more of my specialty. I will have to admit, even with my knowledge there isn't much I can do. Not unless us humans suddenly advance technologically by three hundred years in the next few minutes," he spoke, some humor on his side. "But...I might be able to add my own part in tracking down our culprit."

Victor couldn't magically create a program to locate a target likely light-years away. But he could take the data they had, on the source of the transmission in space. Then enough, Victor would slowly started to try and eliminate the distortion of gravity and the background heat of the many stars - without compromising the data. Needless to say, it involved a lot of checking up on the original and piece by piece - removing the delicate data from the graphic. At least he knew what constituted as simple radiation and what was thermal energy even thousands of light-years away. Whomever they were - Victor Fries would make sure, that they couldn't use the coldness of space, to mask their presence.

Robin
Gotham Exterior

Once having given Batman some warning about the person that was approaching, Robin listened attentively to the instructions he was given. He listened without his expression giving away a thing, as by now he was used to being given this sort of order. Once he was told to keep his distance unless signaled otherwise, the boy simply gave a quick nod, and a grim affirmation in response. "Understood." While at times Robin might find himself frustrated with his partner's orders, now was hardly a time to argue or disagree. It was at times like this that he couldn't help but almost wish for a little action though, even if he didn't really want things to escalate that way. In any case, he settled down to wait on the rooftop, crouching low so that his costume hopefully wouldn't be too noticeable from a distance. Luckily, he didn't have to worry about that for now, as the stranger's attention was completely diverted by Batman's presence. This was quite understandable, as it didn't take long for the strange man to strike out at his partner after only a couple of words were spoken. From Robin's viewpoint, he couldn't exactly hear what was being said, but he could tell from the muffled exclamation that the man was uttering something that almost sounded like a magical spell of some sort. His masked eyes narrowed as he watched the unfolding conflict, unable to help wondering about this possibly supposed magician. Could it really be the culprit behind all of the mysterious disappearances, returning to one of the scenes of the crime?

It could be some completely unrelated incident entirely, but this all did seem to be a pretty big coincidence. As Robin watched the conflict unfold, his muscles tensed in anticipation while he crouched stiff and silent on the rooftop. If things ended up getting too bad for Batman, he might end up swooping down there to help him anyways. But right now there was no sense in trying to help stop something that perhaps wouldn't be that hard for Batman to resolve anyway. He was a bit concerned about someone that was as unpredictable as this stranger, but nevertheless, he could only hope that this wouldn't be too messy of a situation... but if it ended up that way, at least he could possibly have a chance to help take down this possible criminal, if it really was necessary to do so.​

Batman, Gotham Exterior
Batman truly had no intention to seriously injure Zatara, not unless he intended to escalate the situation further. He needed answers, nothing more. Bruce's muscles tense up slightly as he prepares to move. The contraction in Giovanni's pupils suggested his staggering demeanor. It has been over a decade since Bruce last seen the great magician Zatara, though even after all of this time the vigilante knew how dangerous he could be. He was not to be taken lightly.

The moment Zatara raised his arms, the Dark Knight took his chance to move forward. Reaching out and grabbing the man by his wrists, he lifted his hands skywards, taking himself out of the line of fire. The spell would still go off, though the Batman was thankfully quick enough to save himself a world of hurt.

Gritting his teeth as the spell fires off, Bruce glares down at the older man.

"I have no intention of hurting you, Zatara... But if you try and zap me again, I will be forced to shatter your collarbone. Are we clear?" The Batman's grip on the man's wrists were like a vice, likely due to the adrenaline coursing through his veins. If that spell had made direct contact, Bruce was unsure if he would have been able to get up again. His armor didn't exactly have defenses against magic... A problem he should probably rectify, upon further reflection.

"I just want to talk." He tries to diffuse the already tense situation. In a show of faith, the Dark Knight releases his iron clad grip on the magician's wrists.

Glancing over to the rooftop where Robin was perched, Batman nods in his direction, signaling him to come down. He doubted that Zatara would try anything further, though if he did, it may be a good idea to have some backup.

THAAL SINESTRO
The sky over Metropolis

Thaal Sinestro arrived in Earth's atmosphere. This planet was at least a century more primitive than his native Korugar, but it had many of the same problems. Earth was riddled with corrupt leaders and oppressive institutions. Crime was rampant. The people were complacent.

This was a planet on the brink of succumbing completely to chaos. Earth was almost a microcosm of the already-too-disorderly universe. It occurred to Sinestro that this world might be the perfect testing ground for a force of true order. He could fix the Earth, then Korugar, and then the universe.

There was no time for that though. Abin Sur's life was more important. Thaal brushed the thought aside and descended toward the city.

Metropolis had an impressive skyline. Glimmering buildings shone in the sun. Sinestro admired it for a moment, but he'd seen better.

This was Abin Sur's last known location. Most likely, someone had seen either Abin Sur or the species he was fighting. It was only a matter of finding out who. And making them talk.

But first, there were some basics to check. If an extraterrestrial presence turned out to be public knowledge, it might be in the local news media. Sinestro found a group of human men reading large clumps of white paper near the street. These papers were being purchased from a vendor nearby. Korugarians distributed the latest news this way before the industry was made irrelevant by more efficient news outlets.

Sinestro glided down into the group of men. Startled, they all stared at him. They gazed upon his glorious red skin. His somewhat pointed ears. His well-groomed mustache. Thaal gave them a devilish smile as they fearfully backed away. He reached out toward the nearest human.

"Give that to me," he demanded. The ring automatically translated his speech so it looked and sounded as if he was speaking English. The man complied by handing Sinestro the newspaper and backing away. "I- I don't want any trouble. I have a family."

"I mean you no harm," Sinestro said. "Now shoo. You are no longer needed."

The men all made a hasty retreat. Sinestro chuckled. Humans were cowed into submission as easily as almost every other species in the universe.

Finally, Sinestro looked down to examine the newspaper...

Last edited:
Supergirl
Metropolis
Claire had just finished breaking up a mugging, and having only to be there to get the man to stop, well that and take a knife tot he chest but it wasn't like steel could hurt her. Then the big time happened as she noticed the thing falling in the sky and with her super hearing and some focus she could hear the screaming civilians fleeting whatever had come down. It seemed that other aliens must have set their eyes on her small corner of the universe, she would have to make sure that their visitor wasn't planning to take over. it might be a bad assumption, but thus far her contact with aliens was herself and she knew how powerful she was and if any others were like her then earth could not withstand them. So Claire took flight easily able to tell the general area the screams had come from then quickly picking out the guy with the inhuman red skin. From a distance she saw that the alien was seemingly reading a newspaper, perhaps they had studied earth, though if they had they would know this was a poor way to introduce yourself.

Claire quickly flew to the figure breaking the sound barrier and stopping before the alien with some wind following after their, her arms crossed a stern expression on her face, she was not going to be amassed by another aliens. she needed something witty to say this was first contact in a way, well first others might know, point was she needed to make some kind of good impression but she couldn't be soft. She also wasn't sure what he was doing here and that was why she didn't just punch him, he was reading not attacking.

" I hope you plan on paying for that or returning it" she said simply acting as if he was just another person, though honestly she wished she had something better to say.

State of Bedlam State of Bedlam

THAAL SINESTRO
Metropolis

Sinestro looked over at Claire, dropping the newspaper in shock.

"A Kryptonian? On this little nothing of a planet? I didn't realize there were any of you left."

Sinestro regained his composure and straightened his posture. He smiled.

"I am Thaal Sinestro, the Green Lantern of Sector 1417. We are an elite army dedicated to the protection of the universe. Another Green Lantern has gone missing. This city was his last known location. Perhaps you could help me?"

Sinestro floated a few inches above the ground and clasped his hands behind his back as he awaited a response from the Kryptonian. The ring's transmission suggested that a species not native to Earth fought Abin Sur. Could this Kryptonian have attacked Abin Sur? Was she dangerous? Sinestro wasn't sure.

Supergirl
Metropolis

Claire was surprised as well, though she managed to show it less, but still it was obvious she did not expect to be identified as a Kryptonian. She didn't know how famous they were in the greater cosmos and she had never heard of a green lantern. This was also the first time she knew of aside from herself that an alien had visited this city, though she was not everywhere so in theory one alien could sneak by her and if they laid low then she would never know to look for him. Still the first thing she needed to do was well move this conversation away from prying eyes and ears, as well people panicked rather quickly when someone like this Sinestro showed up, they were lucky they weren't shouting demon.

" Me being here is a long story, finding your fellow is more important" she said prioritizing finding the missing space law man " Though right here you won't be able to work properly" She continued pointing out the crowd " So lets talk above the clouds in more detail as we have noticed some odd things going on as well" She finished as honestly she felt Sinestro could help with all the strange issues as his presence and the missing lantern raised the idea that less friendly aliens might be doing something

State of Bedlam State of Bedlam

THAAL SINESTRO
Metropolis

Sinestro considered her offer and stroked his chin in contemplation. For a moment, he glanced at the humans looking on in fear.

Fear was a very useful emotion. Most Green Lanterns didn't want to admit it, but Sinestro knew it was true.

However, this was not the time for fear. And it seemed that the Kryptonian's offer to help was genuine.

"Agreed," said Sinestro as he began rising up toward the sky. "This should be a private conversation."

Robin
Gotham City Exterior

Robin continued to intently watch the confrontation from his perch, feeling a bit relieved with the fact that his partner seemed to know how to handle the situation, or at least seemed to be more than capable of holding his own so far. The boy looked on with a certain level of admiration as he crouched there, waiting until he was needed. He had been on backup many times before, and every time it was always interesting to watch his partner in action, and take mental notes for his own bettering as well. He was prepared to watch Batman continue to engage the man, but to his slight surprise, after a little while Bruce ended up backing up and letting go of the stranger's wrists. Robin raised an eyebrow underneath his mask, straining his ear to try to hear what the two were saying, though still not having much luck. He wondered if this mysterious and magical man could perhaps not be the culprit they were searching for after all.

There had to be some reason why apparently Bruce thought it possible to reason with the other one. He was interrupted from his puzzled musings however, as he suddenly made eye contact with Batman, and was given a nod as signal. The boy's face practically lighted up for a moment, though quickly he suppressed his delight into a small, pleased grin. Robin straightened up into a standing position, his short yellow cape flapping in the chilling breeze. He drew a deep breath, his expression one of excitement due to being able to be in on the action. In a moment, the young sidekick had leaped off of the rooftop he had been crouching on with a whoop, doing an acrobatic flip midair during his fall, before landing on his feet without harm. He grunted from the impact, having landed in a crouching position. He stood and straightened himself up, having landed a couple feet away from his partner.

Robin's expression was at first almost as serious as Batman's as his gaze landed on the mysterious stranger, and he folded his arms sternly. He couldn't tell who this man was exactly, but he was clearly quite powerful, so a level of caution and suspicion had to be taken. He had noticed, however, that Batman still didn't to want to attack, at least for now. If a truce could be possible, then he was all for the possibility, and at least he could give some help by encouraging it. Naturally, it wasn't long before a casual grin spread across the boy's face, and he spoke up with a rather nonchalant suggestion. "If I were you, I'd listen to what he says." After a moment of thought, his tone of voice became slightly more mischievous, and he slowly shook his head as if in fear of a looming danger. "No telling how long this especially good mood of his is gonna last."

Feeling satisfied with his contribution to the discussion, Robin fell silent after this, still studying the strange man with a wary and suspicious look. He didn't know who this guy was or whether or not this would end up becoming another fight, but he remained slightly tensed as he stepped up to Batman's side, knowing by now to be prepared for anything that could possibly happen.​

Zatana disregarded the boy's prescence. He rubbed at his wrists, regaining his composure. "So you must be this "World's greatest detective" I've heard so much about." His statement dripped with his signature smug sarcasm. He quickly remembered his persona as a gentleman and, with a snap of his fingers, a puff of smoke, and some muttered incantation, the slumped-over old man was replaced with one in a crisp black tux and tails, with slicked black hair, and a posture so straight you could balance a house on him. His Cajun drawl dropped into his faux English accent as he extended a hand to the batman. "You have me at a disadvantage. What should I call you, Mr..."

Vic was still walking around, taking pictures and doing his daily business when he heard a woman scream. He wasn't surprised. This was Gotham City after all.

Vic went into a alley and took out his mask quickly and his hat. He applied the mask to his face and put the hat on his head. He then would put his bag in a garbage can. Nobody would look into a garbage can.

Vic then ran out of the alley and headed towards the tunnel which he heard the scream. He wouldn't let another person die in Gotham this night.

Batman, Gotham Exterior
"Batman." Bruce replied bluntly, and without shaking Zatara's hand. He still couldn't be completely sure that the elder magician wasn't responsible for the abductions, and there was no way in hell he was about to tell him his real name. Still, he would rather avoid further conflict with Giovanni unless absolutely necessary. The Dark Knight took only a moment to look the man over; it only took Bruce a brief encounter to study someone. He remained stoic and unshaken as Zatara changed his clothing with a simple motion, that was not what caught the Batman's attention. What seemed odd to him, was that Zatara hasn't aged a day since his last encounter with Bruce Wayne. Was his magic keeping him from physically aging? Questions for later, right now they had business to attend to.

Turning his back on the magic user, the Dark Knight pushes a button on the side of his cowl, activating his scanner. He continued to scan the alleyways for any trace of what happened to Brendan Williams before his disappearance.

"Less than twelve hours ago, a man by the name of Brendan Williams went missing in this alleyway... Though you may already know that. I need to know exactly what you were planning on doing here, what you were casting, and what you know about the situation. Do not lie to me, Zatara..." The tail end of his sentence sounded quite a bit more threatening, clearly a warning.

Awaiting Zatara's reply, Bruce continued to scan the environment. His scanner managed to pick up a hand print on the adjacent wall, belonging to Brendan Williams, as well as shoe indents on the ground that match the description. Something was off, it appeared as if Brendan was heading in a certain direction, before the tracks simply... Vanished.

S.T.A.R. Labs, Metropolis
As Mr. Zero conducted his research into the strange signals, the two armed guards watching him began to stare. It wasn't every day that the lab allowed former super villains inside, let alone just give them access to highly classified data. One of the soldiers stepped forward, looking over Victor's shoulder.

"If anything you do even smells suspicious, I have been authorized to put a bullet in the back of your head. Are we clear? My sister and my crippled mother lived in Gotham when you went on your little power trip. Just give me a fucking excuse." The other scientists have returned to their stations, so they would not intervene with the soldier who may have been overstepping his bounds. Without waiting for a response, the Soldier moved back to his post.

"Fucking freak. The Bat should have left you dead in the gutter." He whispered under his breath.

As Victor continued his investigation, he would notice a strange pattern in the signals. They were being pinged from well outside of our solar system, though they certainly weren't radio waves. It was actually hard to pin down just what they were. There was an odd 'hiccup' in the signals. That is really the only way to describe it. Almost the moment the signals are sent out, they simply pop up on earth, as if they had been teleported some how.

Tunnel, Gotham City

screaming-tunnel-niagara.jpg

The blackness of the tunnel stretched on seemingly without end. Graffiti and trash littered the area like deep seeded scars, though there was no immediate sign of the woman, or of her attacker. Gotham was always a cold mess of a place, but something about this tunnel just felt... Colder. Almost like a corpse who's warmth had all but left it hours ago.

"Help me! Please! For the love of god, it's going to kill me!" The woman's frightened voice echoes from deeper inside the tunnel.

Something about this would feel very wrong.

Error 420 Error 420 MoonLegend101 MoonLegend101 A Common Man A Common Man NecroKnight NecroKnight

What a disgusting man, Zatara thought. "I'm here on a mission, and it appears to be the same as yours. Mr. Williams's mother has offered quite a sum for his retrieval, and I intend to take that sum."

He thought about what little evidence he had collected with the tracking spell. A hand print on the wall, footprints leading off to nowhere. Brendan's presence had come through here within 12 hours, but vanished mid-step. No traces of aggressive or violent energy, so he must have been taken without expecting it. If he had somehow gone into another plane on accident, there was a limited window on getting him back. If it was aliens... well... Zatara hoped it wasn't aliens. Lords of Order were easy to deal with. The New Gods? Not so much. All that mess in the eighties? Woof.

"Surely 'The World's Greatest Detective' knows tracking, and our Brendan's tracks simply disappeared. It's either magic or aliens, and I presume that those categories are both a bit out of your field of expertise," he addressed to Batman, knowing that he had at least some leverage over him. "Perhaps co-operation would be helpful for the both of us." He glanced over at the boy wonder, and reached out his hand to shake. "My apologies, the three of us." What the Magnificent Zatara lacked in youth, he greatly made up for in charm.

thatoneguy911 thatoneguy911 MoonLegend101 MoonLegend101

Vic noticed the tunnel was cold. Very cold. He just ignored it though. The farther he got in the more he noticed it was getting darker. He sighed when he realized he forgot to grab his flashlight.

"Shit." He muttered in frustration. He sighed and realized he would just need to work his way around by using his hands and hearing.

That was when the lady screamed and shouted again.

This made Vic raise his eyebrow. "It?" He muttered. He planned this out in his head. Intresting. She mentioned a it, but didn't say a male or a female. Must mean its something monster like. I would need to be very careful. Vic thought.

He would continue to walk in the tunnel, having his hands touch the walls to guide himself.

Robin
Gotham City Exterior

Robin couldn't help but be somewhat amazed by the magician's act of dramatically altering his appearance, which was quite impressive and nearly unbelievable. By now though, he had worked long enough by Batman's side to realize that the supernatural and the unexplainable did indeed exist, and this was just another example of that. Nevertheless the boy's eyes widened underneath his mask upon bearing witness to the change, obviously still impressed and surprised by it. He waited until Batman had introduced himself to the man who was apparently named Zatara before speaking up with his own, saying so in order to clarify things as long as his partner was. "And Robin." He said his own name about as abruptly as his mentor, but his tone of voice was just a bit lighter and more relaxed. He was just there to operate as backup, after all, and on top of that wasn't too enthusiastic about getting too social or friendly with someone who was a potential suspect. Robin kept his arms folded across his chest, keeping to his position nearby Batman in order to communicate that he was with him, and that was all that needed to be communicated for now.

Despite his lack of active participation in the conversation however, it was clear that he was listening attentively and considering everything that was being said, rather than spacing out and not paying much mind to what was happening. It was somewhat relieving and not entirely unsurprising when the magician claimed to simply be searching for one of the victims in order to get some money. Robin felt a bit disgusted by this reasoning, but it did make sense, if what Zatara said was really true. What really was quite the interesting statement was the man's suggestion about working together, due to the disappearance being the result of aliens or magic. The young sidekick raised an eyebrow underneath his mask, turning his head to shoot an inquisitive look towards Batman in order to try to see how his partner felt about this offer. His own expression was skeptical, and not very convinced. It didn't sound like a very appealing proposition to him, as they still didn't know too much about this man, but perhaps it was the best bet they had. Robin had picked up on Zatara's stating "the both of us" rather than three, and grimaced because of this.

It was always slightly annoying when he was left out or ignored in such a way, but he just frowned with a bit deeper without immediately making comment. Even before he could even if he had wanted to, Zatara spoke up to amend his mistake, and promptly offered a handshake. Robin gave a nod, appreciating the correction, but he wasn't immediately inclined to shake the other one's hand. The stranger seemed to be genuine in his reasons, but that didn't mean that he was completely trustworthy. Nevertheless, he decided to at least return the friendly gesture, though he still remained wary about the man. The boy slowly reached forward and shook the other one's hand, before curtly moving to withdraw his own. "Yeah, thanks." He was still frowning distrustfully, but was starting to think that Zatara had a good enough story and perhaps was telling the truth. In any case though, Robin knew to still be on guard no matter what happened, especially since this man was a magician.

Last edited:
Mr. Zero, Metropolis, Star Labs

Victor didn't reply to the soldier' warning. He thought that any exchange of words might make him more angrier. He had dealt with plenty of his kind - all in all, Victor still lived with what he had done on a daily basis. He often sometimes wondered as well - why the Batman hadn't left him. Either from falling into hard pavement, getting crushed under heavy machinery or simply let him die from hyperthermia.

It sometimes felt hollow to him, that he needed to get a slap from Nora herself - to make him understand, how far he had gone on his obsession with life and death. Needless to say, while it didn't appear much his shoulders did slump forward just a bit. It wouldn't be the first time, he was punched or kicked by somebody he had frozen in. The funny part about leaving people stuck in sub-zero ice-blocks was that it was anything from pleasant. Either from difficulty breathing, hampered circulation, suffering hypothermia or limb damage from frostbite - plenty of people had suffered under his hand.

As far he was concerned he didn't want to see anything resembling an ice weapon, that wasn't his refrigerator ever again. He had caused plenty of pain and misery in his life. Although, barring the reminder over his shoulder Victor was making some progress at least. Without the background interference he could spot what was happening - namely the strange pulses that seemed to come in and then appear right on Earth.

Something was definitely strange. Since as much as he knew about space and energy - it didn't work like that. There were some laws of nature that could be bend, yet never broken. Energy had to travel in a straight line, information couldn't suddenly skip several light-years without a reason. It made him lean forward and tap the side of his helmet, curious about what could cause such a thing. He was grinding the gears in his head - before it hit him.

Victor soon enough snapped his fingers in the air. To get the attention of everybody in the room, before he spoke up. "Start scanning for exotic radiation. The transmissions seem to be shunted through a tunnel or something - making them appear outside the system and then suddenly beamed here," he said, starting to explain to the other scientists. "Now, as I assume anybody with any degree in physics would know - you can't just...erase that energy. It can't just skip the period from there to here."

"BUT. As we all know, there are certain ways of having that information be transferred through other dimensions," explained Victor. While he couldn't describe the systems that had been used - he knew that some ways of teleporting people from one place to another - faster than the speed of thought, without any lag was possible. Now if a single human could be teleported - he was certain, that if somebody could calibrate the system right - then they could in essence beam the transmission into one light-tunnel and onto Earth, if they were sufficiently smart enough.

That, or they were dealing with reality warpers - then he might as well pack his bags right now.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back