• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Realistic or Modern Days of Heroes Past | Open | 4 slots |

BlondieBoy

BLACKJACK!
The world is at a crossroads.

The world is in a dire need of saving. It needs a hero. But how were they supposed to know what time would bring?

Superheroes used to be a staple in the world. Beings who were above humans, but didn't act like it. Strong who had the power to protect the weak. Unfortunately governments didn't see them that way. They saw them as they would see a nuclear warhead, a weapon just waiting to be used against their country. Nobody wanted a second Cold War, so they rounded up every Superhero that they could. The heroes didn't resist, a majority of them anyway. They were taken and executed in public displays. They refused to fight the humans that they had vowed to protect.

It was a weird twist of Fate. Fate that had brought the Villains to the point in their lives where they wanted to kill humans, to take over the world, to accomplish their own goals and desires much against anybody else's will. Fate that had brought the Heroes down as a balance to the Villains, that had people with powers rising out of their class, rising out of the ash left in the Villains wake in order to stop them and protect the human race.

Fate had intertwined these Heroes and Villains together. But Fate didn't lead the humans to kill the Heroes. That was something even Fate couldn't accomplish. And the result was a twist of Fate. Villains without heroes. The government tried to round them up, but they weren't easy to round up like the Heroes were. Ultimately they were left to their own devices, when it became clear that the Villains were dumbfounded as to why the Heroes were killed so easily. They didn't dare try to attack, for fear of some great weapon. Instead they hid. Many of them ended up committing suicide, or that's what would pop up on the news from time to time. "Maestro found dead in a brooklyn apartment, suspected hanging" "Omega found overdosed on heroine in carnage alley". Nobody could know if it was the truth, but they had bodies and people generally accepted it as fact.

Heroes and Villains didn't get taught about in school. Then people would remember them too easily.

Time kept on crawling forward. Before long babies were born, kids matured into adults. People forgot about the heroes that once protected their worlds. People stopped believing in heroes. And the world governments no longer had to worry about another cold war with super-powered beings. Everything gradually went back to normal. Politics, wars, innocent people being lost in collateral damage. The people had put their faith in their own Military and their police forces. But even that faith wavered after so many articles about police brutality, and war criminals from their own country coming to light. Atrocities committed while at war with another county. Rapes and child murder.

But it's not like there was anybody around to keep a government in check anymore.

And then it happened. Something that nobody could have predicted. Nobody except, perhaps, the heroes that had been executed decades ago. The earth was invaded by monsters. Nobody knows where they came from. Some suggested aliens, others believe they came from the sea, and some believe they were always there under the earth, just biding their time and waiting to retake the surface when humans were weakest.

No country was safe from the monsters. Russia believed none would be able to march on their country as no army has marched on it in the past. Russia Wasn't prepared when the winged beasts began to pluck their citizens from the ground and into the sky, never to be seen again. Italy believed the Vatican would be divine protection for them, but they were not prepared when the Vatican was nothing left but a hole in the ground. The British parliament believed it all to be a hoax perpetrated by an enemy country. They were unpleasantly surprised when a hand reached down and picked up Big Ben between its thumb and forefinger, and snapped it in half like it was nothing but a child playing with a twig.

What everybody has failed to realize is that the mutant gene that created the original heroes never went away. The superheroes had been executed decades ago, but their lineage continued. Babies inherited powers from a mutant gene, and those babies grew into teenagers and adults. But without any villains or heroes to identify them and teach them, nobody knew that they had powers. Not until an event in their life would jumpstart their powers. Whether through trauma or joy, one day their powers would awaken and they would realize they were the next generation of heroes, the next generation of villains.

By the time the monsters had shown up some had figured out their powers long ago, and never revealed them to anyone. others have yet to awaken their powers. But if they reveal themselves, will they end up just as the heroes of past did? Will they end the threat to humanity, and be given thanks in the form of a bullet to their heads?

But true heroes don't have time to think about that. Whenever a threat pops up around them, they go to eliminate it.

Our story begins in the heart of New Lenour City, once home to the mighty Revival. People who live their everyday lives are accosted by monsters at night, ripped to shreds and dragged to their deaths. Recently heroes have begun popping up, though no news outlet has officially stated so yet. People who have lived normal lives, who have come from different families, different wealth statuses, all fighting together to try and save Humanity from the threat of the monsters.

Our story begins with the group of Heroes that would one day be known as the Earth's Mightiest.
--------------------------------------------------------------

Rules:
1. This is a very literate RP. Proper spelling of words is the minimum barrier to entry, as well as making sure all posts are at least 4 sentences long. For the best experience I'd like to see multiple paragraphs per post.
2. Do not make your Superhero OP. Do not Autohit other Player Characters. Do not start drama with other players in the request or the OOC.
3. Do not Godmod. This goes with rule 2.
4. Put "Revival is dead, Omega is dead." At the top of your CS so that I am aware you have read the rules. I will deny your CS if it is not there.
5. Romance, swearing, etc. All of that is fine, keep everything up to RPN Standards.
6. I want everyone to try to post at least once every other day. Nobody should post again until we've gone fully through the posting order. The posting order can be established either as we go, or before the RP begins.
7. Two character MAX.
8. I have the final say on what happens in the RP, if I hit the plot button and you refuse to follow my plot your character will be ignored.

Last edited:
Our story begins in the heart of Metropolis, once home to the mighty Superman.
Wait. Does this take place in DC?

If so, why didn't Batman see this whole "global conspiracy government decides to kill all superheroes," thing coming from a mile away, and didn't warn anyone? He just got captured and died? Who the hell executed this damn plan? No one saw it coming? No one resisted? Superman; the guy known for always standing against injustice... just stood by the wayside and let this happen while Lex Luthor stabbed him in the lungs with a kryptonite fork?

The government has never been this competent in DC. That's why they need superheroes.

Also where the hell do all the villains go, committing suicide and being depressed over superheroes disappearing? I mean, sure, Joker would be sad, but beyond that, I can't imagine someone like Zod, or Sinestro, or Black Adam of all people being sad over it. Actually, Black Adam would probably just go and kill the wizard while Shazam's gone.

Also, Shazam being gone implies that the government killed a little ten-year-old boy and that all of society was completely okay with that.

Jesus.

Sorry, I just want to know the how of this. How did this happen? It'd take some serious reality bending to convince Superman to lay down and let himself get killed, and five times that amount of reality bending, bordering on omniscience, to make Lex Luthor sad over it.

Also, how about the Green Lantern Corps? Did the Greenies get genocided as well? Why didn't the Guardians do anything about it? Why aren't the Lanterns sequestering off the whole planet and imprisoning the guys who did this?

Wait. Does this take place in DC?

If so, why didn't Batman see this whole "global conspiracy government decides to kill all superheroes," thing coming from a mile away, and didn't warn anyone? He just got captured and died? Who the hell executed this damn plan? No one saw it coming? No one resisted? Superman; the guy known for always standing against injustice... just stood by the wayside and let this happen while Lex Luthor stabbed him in the lungs with a kryptonite fork?

The government has never been this competent in DC. That's why they need superheroes.

Also where the hell do all the villains go, committing suicide and being depressed over superheroes disappearing? I mean, sure, Joker would be sad, but beyond that, I can't imagine someone like Zod, or Sinestro, or Black Adam of all people being sad over it. Actually, Black Adam would probably just go and kill the wizard while Shazam's gone.

Also, Shazam being gone implies that the government killed a little ten-year-old boy and that all of society was completely okay with that.

Jesus.

Sorry, I just want to know the how of this. How did this happen? It'd take some serious reality bending to convince Superman to lay down and let himself get killed, and five times that amount of reality bending, bordering on omniscience, to make Lex Luthor sad over it.

Also, how about the Green Lantern Corps? Did the Greenies get genocided as well? Why didn't the Guardians do anything about it? Why aren't the Lanterns sequestering off the whole planet and imprisoning the guys who did this?
Perhaps that's the mystery. That tag is there, above.

Just to clarify everything, no it isn't set in DC. It has taken names from there, but the universe this is set in "Superman" and "Lex Luthor" were both bitter rivals but they diverge significantly from your typical portrayal of them in media.

When I wrote up the plot I needed a fictional city to set it in, and figured that Metropolis would be good considering there's no real singular cityscape for it. It is far easier for me to run things in a fictional city than inside of an already created city with landmarks and the like.

The divergence and how this differs from DC is explained in the original post. Villains had a deep connection to Heroes and while they were constantly at odds to kill/jail the other, they weren't able to exist without the other. That's why Villains began to kill themselves, or take up regular jobs. They were left without something to fight, and many of them just couldn't accept it.

Likewise, I explained that these heroes adamantly refused to fight the people they swore to protect. Few heroes resisted and they did so by either leaving the planet or attempting to fight.

To sum up, this is an original story that has taken some names from DC, but I'm completely willing to change those names to something else if that's what people need to buy into the story and not try and wrap their heads around how humans killed people with superpowers and how villains were so deeply affected by it.

Just to clarify everything, no it isn't set in DC. It has taken names from there, but the universe this is set in "Superman" and "Lex Luthor" were both bitter rivals but they diverge significantly from your typical portrayal of them in media.

When I wrote up the plot I needed a fictional city to set it in, and figured that Metropolis would be good considering there's no real singular cityscape for it. It is far easier for me to run things in a fictional city than inside of an already created city with landmarks and the like.

The divergence and how this differs from DC is explained in the original post. Villains had a deep connection to Heroes and while they were constantly at odds to kill/jail the other, they weren't able to exist without the other. That's why Villains began to kill themselves, or take up regular jobs. They were left without something to fight, and many of them just couldn't accept it.

Likewise, I explained that these heroes adamantly refused to fight the people they swore to protect. Few heroes resisted and they did so by either leaving the planet or attempting to fight.

To sum up, this is an original story that has taken some names from DC, but I'm completely willing to change those names to something else if that's what people need to buy into the story and not try and wrap their heads around how humans killed people with superpowers and how villains were so deeply affected by it.
Oh, alright. Yeah I can come up with some names for some stand-ins, if you needed help with that. Most superhero stories that use the archetypes of Superman and Luthor do that, like Supreme or the Wildstorm universe.

Ah, that's good. I panicked there for a moment.

Sorry for the rant.

Ah, that's good. I panicked there for a moment.

Sorry for the rant.
All good. I swapped the names up so further people don't get confused lol. Revival would be the Superman equivalent, and Omega like Lex Luthor. New Lenour City is a base city name I've used for several of my cities so it can take Metropolis' place.

I don't like how this implies that all villains in this universe think the exact same way and have the same motive.

It's still odd the heroes don't try to defend themselves and try to non-lethally restrain the people attacking them.

Happy to see someone take criticisms, it's a rare gift on this site and the internet in general.

I don't like how this implies that all villains in this universe think the exact same way and have the same motive.

It's still odd the heroes don't try to defend themselves and try to non-lethally restrain the people attacking them.

Happy to see someone take criticisms, it's a rare gift on this site and the internet in general.

It does imply that, you're right. That's not what I mean to do, I just gave it a blanket statement so as to not be here for awhile. The best way to think about it is to totally remove yourself from what you know about the dynamic between a hero and a villain. Each Villain had their own lives and their own goals sure, but Fate (which is kinda big theme in the RP) intertwined them with a specific hero. And then the humans forcibly removed their fate from them, which left most of them with a pretty lost sense. Not all of them killed themselves, but the fact that a lot of them did is something that made the government extremely unnerved. They thought the exact same way "If these guys were trying to kill heroes why the hell did they kill themselves".

And you're right that it's odd the heroes didn't try to defend themselves. Very odd indeed.

But yeah, criticism makes for a better writer I always like to say. Still though, some things I'm just not good at wording until I'm writing it in character haha.

It does imply that, you're right. That's not what I mean to do, I just gave it a blanket statement so as to not be here for awhile. The best way to think about it is to totally remove yourself from what you know about the dynamic between a hero and a villain. Each Villain had their own lives and their own goals sure, but Fate (which is kinda big theme in the RP) intertwined them with a specific hero. And then the humans forcibly removed their fate from them, which left most of them with a pretty lost sense. Not all of them killed themselves, but the fact that a lot of them did is something that made the government extremely unnerved. They thought the exact same way "If these guys were trying to kill heroes why the hell did they kill themselves".
I just think it's silly. The whole "Villain commits seppuku" angle... I mean it would make sense for some but it'll easier for people to get it when the supers-genocide was done to both heroes and villains. It gives a reason why the villains went into hiding or whatever.

And you're right that it's odd the heroes didn't try to defend themselves. Very odd indeed.
I get that's suppose to set up some sort of plot thing but understand that from an outsider's perspective the way you've written it may come across as more "The Heroes are stupid" than "Hmmm what's the mystery."

I'm making a mystery comic so I kinda know how that works.

I just think it's silly. The whole "Villain commits seppuku" angle... I mean it would make sense for some but it'll easier for people to get it when the supers-genocide was done to both heroes and villains. It gives a reason why the villains went into hiding or whatever.

I get that's suppose to set up some sort of plot thing but understand that from an outsider's perspective the way you've written it may come across as more "The Heroes are stupid" than "Hmmm what's the mystery."

And as I said, you haven't thrown the way typical Villains and Heroes act out of your mind yet, which is why you think the idea is silly because it doesn't make traditional sense. There's plot elements at play that I can't just reveal in the request thread obviously, but I've been trying to explain that it doesn't make sense because Fate is a real thing in the universe it takes place in. When that fate was altered by the Heroes getting executed, the Villain's fate was changed as well.

What I am getting from this though is that I should include the part about Fate in the stories lore a bit more. I understand that people might think that the Heroes were dumb, or that its silly for Villains to kill themselves but that's largely the point. I'm glad people are asking those questions and feeling that way. From a narrative standpoint it might not make sense, but that's because I'm not writing this for the fiction thread I'm writing it for a roleplay.

Either way, if it isn't your thing it isn't your thing.

Edit to my last post, I did edit the middle section with two paragraphs, just to make the Fate and the Villains role a little more clear, and to highlight the mystery a little more.

And as I said, you haven't thrown the way typical Villains and Heroes act out of your mind yet, which is why you think the idea is silly because it doesn't make traditional sense. There's plot elements at play that I can't just reveal in the request thread obviously, but I've been trying to explain that it doesn't make sense because Fate is a real thing in the universe it takes place in. When that fate was altered by the Heroes getting executed, the Villain's fate was changed as well.
M8 Fate is so traditional we called it mythology. I'm just saying it feels like a joke. I mean seriously, this is so comically dark it boarders on parody.

What I am getting from this though is that I should include the part about Fate in the stories lore a bit more. I understand that people might think that the Heroes were dumb, or that its silly for Villains to kill themselves but that's largely the point. I'm glad people are asking those questions and feeling that way. From a narrative standpoint it might not make sense, but that's because I'm not writing this for the fiction thread I'm writing it for a roleplay.
I know this is for a roleplay, I'm just saying you should try to invoke questions that ask about the mystery and not ask for you to improve your story.

M8 Fate is so traditional we called it mythology. I'm just saying it feels like a joke. I mean seriously, this is so comically dark it boarders on parody.

I know this is for a roleplay, I'm just saying you should try to invoke questions that ask about the mystery and not ask for you to improve your story.
Again, I appreciate your take on it but if this story isn't for you and it just leads to more and more questions for you, then it isn't for you. I'm not some master level writer and I don't expect my stories to be free of holes, and I'm not asking anyone to overlook those holes. But you keep bringing the same points up. Yes it is comically dark. Feels like it borders on parody. I personally don't see it that way, I see it as a more realistic take on this topic. if you don't then that's fine, but this is meant to be an interest check for the story.

I was interested in the beginning, and, despite the drama that came up, an still interested if this is gonna go on. 🤷‍♀️

I was interested in the beginning, and, despite the drama that came up, an still interested if this is gonna go on. 🤷‍♀️
I wouldn't even really call it drama. This is probably the most polite discussion about the topic of playing with the genre that I've seen on this site.
In past experiences, I've dealt with people yelling at me for not making something realistic enough in an RP that was in a three-way tonal tug-of-war between being a light shonen anime (like My Hero), being some kind of 'realistic' look at the genre (like inFamous or Worm), and whatever else slipped through the cracks (References to pro wrestlers and Gobots.)

In comparison, this is a pretty civil discussion and Blondie seems to have a pretty clear vision of what this RP is going to be.

Yes I'm going to continue this, some light criticism on how I construct my stories isn't going to stop me from continuing this story with those who are interested. For now, I have a Character Selection thread up in the extra pages if anyone would like to go and see. There should be a Character Sheet template. Once those who are interested create their character(s) I will approve/work with them to make sure the character isn't extremely overpowered (Like OPM) and then we can all go from there. Sounds good?

Also yes, you can either be born with superpowers or you can throw money at tech to make "superpowers" like tony stark or batman in their respective universes. Having millionaire tech geniuses as superheroes is a staple of the genre of course. But yeah, let's all work together and have a fun rp.

Just one question I have so I can finish my cs bio: How far into the "monster" attacks are we starting? Have our characters been fighting them alone-ish for a while and are going to meet and team up or are we starting more at the start of the battles? I kinda just want to know how long my girl has been an active super hero...

Ah! Very good question!

So we're actually starting near the very beginning of the story. There are different classes of monster threats much how the system works in some anime like OPM.
From bottom to top: Turtle-Class- Small, about human sized. Makes up most of the monster attacks in the city thus far. Lion-Class- Medium sized, not much bigger than an SUV. Has made up a decent amount of attacks on the city. Dragon-Class- Larger than a two story house. Only 1 has ever been sighted in the city before. It wreaked havoc on a city block and disappeared. Catastrophic-Class- The Catastrophic class is about as big as a sky scraper. It quantum leaps to a destination, and as a result appears out of thin air almost. It's arrival is indicated by intense lightning that lights the entire sky orange.

We're actually going to start a little before a monster attack. Same day that one is going to happen, but the grouping up and subsequent battle will happen a few posts down the line. That way everyone has time to set their characters up and I have time to get a few plot cogs moving before we hop into a big battle. So far, if you'd like your character to have been fighting some of the Turtle and Lion class monsters, that'd be fine. Nobody has faced off against the Dragon or Catastrophic class so far though, so nobody can really understand the scope of the threat personally yet. In newspapers and the like, Dragon threats usually tear down a residential block or two before disappearing which causes many families to become homeless because the government is handling destruction of property abysmally, and Catastrophic Class monsters have destroyed the entire city that they've *spawned* in, and then disappeared from the ashes.

One more good point I should make involving secret identity and stuff like that. A majority of civilians in this universe have been systemically brainwashed by their government to despise heroes, and to fear them. When some parents have found out that their child is a super, they've called the appropriate number and their child was taken and killed in a safe location. Orphanages have done the same thing. But the good thing is that any of our characters and any other heroes also grew up with that indoctrination, so when they learned they had powers they knew very well that people shouldn't find out.

It's a big reason for throwing on the costume and mask. The police aren't on your side, and the only people who are are those who have been shafted big time by the government. The families whose homes were destroyed and now live homeless around the city. The families who can't donate enough of their money to the government tithes and so they're left on rations and the like for a 6 month period until the next tithe comes around. Food is scarce for the lower class. Many of the Turtle-Class monsters have razed fields, crops. Everyone is just working to get by right now and the government is incompetent to a minority of people. Still, that minority doesn't care if someone has powers or not. Anything to protect them from what's already happened to them is a sight for sore eyes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back