• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Dawnmoor School of the Arcane Arts [RP Thread]

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Other
Here
"Ah, perhaps the length of her hair is just a glamour," Dazzle offered with a chuckle. "For all we know, she could be balding." She waved the quetzal off after it finished eating the food she'd withdrawn from her coat pocket, and it hid away in the leaves of one of her plants. "You don't have to if you don't want to, of course, but I was wondering if you'd help Avogadro and I run the tournament? Seeing as you are one of my most skilled students, I think your direct input in the matter would improve the overall outcome. But if dealing with the first years isn't exactly your cup of tea, I can always find someone else to assist us."

-

"Of course you can," said Flannery. "I think I'd go mad if they kept me away from my brother for too long."

-

Avogadro's expression lit up. "Ah, of course! Ground amethyst. Would you check to see if we have any extra while you're back there?" he asked. "Ah, and shrike beak for flashiness, but willow root for consistency. It's all up to you, of course." As he gently swirled the potion around, he seemed to remember something else. "Oh, and Ashley? When you're done in there, please come see me. I have something I've been meaning to ask you."

-

Mordecai blinked, becoming silently alarmed as Judas started crying. He had never been good at dealing with crying people and wanted nothing more than to just disappear from the situation entirely, discorporate and than reappear somewhere else, even if that somewhere else was in a dragon's belly or an ogre's cave. "Woah, hey, are you okay?" he asked, struggling to form a coherent sentence and reluctant to offer physical comfort though he figured it would've been the best course of action.

He winced at the light coming from Judas's grimoire, then allowed his muscles to relax when he realized Judas wasn't freaking out anymore. He couldn't hold in a sigh of relief before he said, "Um, yeah, we share our dorms. Well, some of us do. My sister lives alone. I haven't gotten my roommate assignment yet this year so I assume I'll be sharing with a first year."

interactions - nios nios ElenaIsCool ElenaIsCool OrWangatan OrWangatan The.Witch.Under.Your.Bed The.Witch.Under.Your.Bed

Kuro sighed in relief and her face became blank once more.

"I'm afraid for her.. She becomes..Well.. very panicky"

The raven sighs as she touches the blue and white scarf befire looking up to Flannery .

"You've been here longer right? What are the classes like?"

titania titania

"Will do, Prof."

Ashely did think it a bit strange that the prof had something important to ask her, but she payed little mind to it. Exiting the hall, the girl made her way across the hall, and down the stairs to the Brewing Lab. None of the burners were on and the room was completely silent. A strange, yet welcoming scene. Setting down her box of components, Ashley walked over to the third brewing stand from the corner, second row. That was her station first and third year. Turning on the basic burner, the young woman picked up a small vile of chemicals, which served as the base for any smoke. The chemicals would have to boil before she could add any other ingredients, so while the liquid heated up, Ashley took the Red Peacock plume and began preparing it. She would have to separate the eye of the feather from the stalk, then grind up the bone of the feather into a chalk. Figuring she might as well go for consistency, Ashley threw in some shredded Willowroot to the chalk. Once that powder was in the chemicals, she would add the feather's eye, along with some spices and a generous pour of Griffin Spit, just in case. That whole concoction would have to boil for a few minutes, so Ashley decided to look around for the ground Amethyst.

Well, it seems the cabinets were fresh out of ground Amethyst, but there was a solid chunk of regular Amethyst. With little contemplation, Ashley took out a small rock pick and broke off a generous segment. By now, the concoction was in quite a good shape, so she poured it into a tray and threw it in the freezer. Yes, she could have just insta-froze it, but you take no shortcuts when potion brewing. With a rather large hammer, Ashely smashed the piece of Amethyst, then proceeded in more finely grinding it up.

Placing the ingredient in a little baggie, Ashley took back to the lecture hall.

"Hey, here's that Amethyst you wanted. What's did you need to ask me?"

Mentions: titania titania

Shiloh Augustus

The flame at the tip of Shiloh's finger dimmed and her lips thinned in a line.

Shiloh was never as skilled as Professor Dazzle claimed. In the beginning years at Dawnmoor, she was mostly known among her classmates as a runt. Her upbringing made it difficult for Shiloh as she was far behind in training compared to her classmates. The task of controlling her powers was impossible and getting along with the other students in her school was just as hard. There were the endless nights of crouching over a candlestick just to make the small flame bloom while the other students slept in their dorm rooms- not a single worry about being left behind.

Shiloh was always bitter during orientation day. Especially when Headmaster Grimm would boast about the first years' talents that brought them to their oh-most-gracious school of the arcane arts.

Shiloh hated when Professor Dazzle pulled that card; however, the pride within the dragon-borne swelled and a ghost of a smirk appeared on her face. She pondered on the thought of helping alongside the two professors. Despite her past, Shiloh did want to try, but she would never admit that. She sighed and nodded her head. "When do you and Avogadro begin?"

The flame at the tip of Shiloh's finger dimmed and her lips thinned in a line.

Shiloh was never as skilled as Professor Dazzle claimed. In the beginning years at Dawnmoor, she was mostly known among her classmates as a runt. Her upbringing made it difficult for Shiloh as she was far behind in training compared to her classmates. The task of controlling her powers was impossible and getting along with the other students in her school was just as hard. There were the endless nights of crouching over a candlestick just to make the small flame bloom while the other students slept in their dorm rooms- not a single worry about being left behind.

Shiloh was always bitter during orientation day. Especially when Headmaster Grimm would boast about the first years' talents that brought them to their oh-most-gracious school of the arcane arts.

Shiloh hated when Professor Dazzle pulled that card; however, the pride within the dragon-borne swelled and a ghost of a smirk appeared on her face. She pondered on the thought of helping alongside the two professors. Despite her past, Shiloh did want to try, but she would never admit that. She sighed and nodded her head. "When do you and Avogadro begin?"

interaction: titania titania

Odysseus walks into the Main Hall of the Arcane School, to only find himself lost again, like 8 months weren't enough. Odysseus made somewhat of an attempt to navigate the labyrinth. His feet made a sort of clack noise that would echo down the halls as he walked.

"Man hopefully i can make it in time to get to the class, I already missed the orientation from the principle. I guess next time I shouldn't play chess with that old man if I don't want to be late again"

He continued to shuffle down the hallways to at least to find someone so he could ask. After many minutes of searched he managed to stumble on some people in the hall. Moves to toward in a way that makes it seems he is listening to some kind of funky jam that makes him have some pep in his step. It should be noted that even though his cloak covers most of his body it neglects his feet and head.

"Hello, um excuse me do you by chance know where the Geomancy Classroom is?"

interactions: ElenaIsCool ElenaIsCool titania titania

| Judas King |
| Interaction - titania titania |

Judas tilted his head slightly up, "I really hope that we end in the same dorm together!" Judas ususally tilted his head in this way when he was eager for something. He looked back down at Modecai, then to his professor, then back to mordecai. His face grew red, "Sorry that I am embarrassing, and I am not great at asking these questions. However, do you wanna be my first and maybe only friend at this school?" He chuckled nervously, he scratched the back of his head and slightly bumped his flower crown over his eyes. He readjusted it and continued to smile awkwardly.

Last edited:
Robert took a step back when the girl, who introduced herself as Sophia, raised her umbrella at him while looking extremely flustered. He was about to push it out of his face when she started explaining what golems are. "Oh, so they're puppets?!", Robert eyes gleamed in curiosity. "But why would the professor need gears inside it? If the golem is actuated with magic, then there shouldn't be any need to move the limbs mechanically, right? How would you even power something like-", he covered his mouth midway.

I got carried away again, Robert realized as his face slowly turned red.

Interactions: Spoiled Bread Spoiled Bread

Sophia Hughes

Sophia caught the enthusiasm in the boy's tone. She was glad that her rambling at least somewhat informative to someone else, and since the boy was brimming with curiousity, Sophia felt a bit more confident in placing herself as a 'teacher' figure. She closed her umbrella and looked at Robert confidently, she even put her smart glasses in advance!

"It is right that normally a golem would be moved with various forms of magic such as voodoo figure, command rune or blood sigil. However, these past few decades there's a rising trend of combining magic and technology, by that I don't mean simple combination like elemental crossbow or magic bomb. But rather complicated things like this mechanical golem over here. How this artifact work exactly is unfortunately not one of my expertise." Sophia put back the smart glasses into her purse and her expression returned to her usual timid self.

"I see you have that toolbelt of yours, Robert. I assume you are a mechanic of some sort? What did you usually do??"

Interaction: Alias Alias

"Well," said Avogadro, "Professor Dazzle and I have been talking about holding a tournament for the first years. I was wondering if you'd be willing to help us run it? I know you have your hands full as a fourth year, but we're going to need some help if we want to make it happen."

-

"We should be announcing the tournament next week, given that all the preparations are sufficiently squared away," said Professor Dazzle. "I do hope you'll find it in you to assist us. It might turn out to be more fun than you'd think."

-

"Only?" Mordecai grinned. "I'm sure you'll make more. You have four years, after all. And yes, I think it would be quite alright if we were friends."

-

The bluecap pixie poked her head out the door to her classroom and was met with Odysseus. As was likely to be perceived as rude, she tried not to make her surprise at his, er, lack of being alive so obvious. Though she was no stranger to all sorts of fantastical creatures, it wasn't everyday that an undead showed up to Dawnmoor as a student. "Yes," she said, "this is the Geomancy classroom. I'm Professor Clover, the Geomancy professor. And you are?"

nios nios The.Witch.Under.Your.Bed The.Witch.Under.Your.Bed OrWangatan OrWangatan LiquidGold LiquidGold

1565307483521.jpeg
Stien Glacier
Stien's first impression of the school was a good one, Dawnmoor seemed like exactly the place he was looking for to further his practice of cryomancy. His professor was something that he would have to adjust to seeing on a daily basis but it surprisingly didn't bother him as much as it would someone else. Other people in the class seemed to chatting, but Stien was sitting towards the edge of the class and he pulled out his small notebook and began to record everything that had happened so far.​
[Interacting: N/A] [Location: Cryomancy Classroom]

[class name=container] margin: auto; height: 250px; width: 400px; [/class] [class name=containercont] height: 240px; width: 390px; [/class] [class name=chapterpic] background:URL(https://data.whicdn.com/images/328989054/original.gif); float: left; height: 240px; width: 180px; background-size: cover; [/class] [class name=scroll] float: right; height: 240px; width: 190px; overflow: hidden; margin-left: 5px; [/class] [class name=scrollbox] height: 98%; width: 100%; overflow-y: scroll; padding-right: 17px; [/class] [class name=text] font-size: 10px; text-align: justify; [/class] [class name=title] font-size: 18px; text-align: center; letter-spacing: -1px; color: #b7c7d4; [/class] [class name=codetag] font-size: 9px; text-align: center; margin-top: 3px; [/class] [div class="container"][div class="containercont"][div class="chapterpic"][/div] [div class="scroll"][div class="scrollbox"][div class="title"]Shiloh Augustus[/div][div class="text"] Shiloh bit her lower lip between her teeth. She had hoped to begin the year by laying low and break her record of the number of times she could avoid any form of interaction... again. She replied to Professor Dazzle with silence. It would be so easy to turn the professor down and walk away, but there was a small and irritating voice at the back of Shiloh's head who was urging her to help. The young Dragonborn's eyebrows furrowed as she stared into deep thought. Most students and teachers who paid attention to Shiloh would notice she does this often. For someone who kept to themselves, her thoughts were Shiloh's only company that she enjoyed a little.

She did not want to admit it, but she did care about Professor Dazzle to some certain extent. She was not going to exaggerate and say she would lay down her life for the Professor, but Shiloh did respect Professor Dazzle as her mentor and would fight alongside her. However, Shiloh would never admit that. She was never skilled in expressing her emotions- gratitude is one of them.

"You must have been planning before the school term began," Shiloh stated, "I wonder what other plans you and the other professors have in store."

Shiloh was grateful that she did not have to plan much, but she was curious as to what she would be needed to do. Shiloh would have asked Professor Dazzle, but she would rather go back to her dorm and escape the nosy, starry-eyed first years. Shiloh's hands returned to the pockets of her leather jacket and she sighed. There was that word again. Fun...

"Whatever you say, Illumza," she replied. "Well if that is all you need, I will be taking my leave."

Shiloh gave Professor Dazzle a farewell nod, her dark colored lips couldn't form a smile so they were set in a grimace. She turned toward the exit and gave the first years a fleeting glance, the memories of standing where they stood was fresh in her mind. Such a bittersweet feeling... Shiloh wanted to puke. "I will see you during the announcements!"

After leaving the School of Pyromancy, she found herself somewhere between the Aeromancy and Cryromancy Schools. The shift between was so noticeable. The individual schools' colors contrasted against each other in the hallways she walked through. Shiloh was all too used to it after spending more years in Dawnmoor than she needed. She did not know why she was where she is, but Shiloh found peace as she walked in the empty halls.

interaction: titania titania [/div][/div][/div] [/div][/div] [div class="codetag"]coded by ukiiyo[/div]

Professor Rusalka Faust led the students here but hadn't started class, giving them time to take in the new environment. Meanwhile, she tinkered away at an odd-looking gadget on her desk, as consumed in her work as the room was with side chatter. When she was satisfied, she stepped back, briefly admired her creation, and clapped her hands together.

"I'm sure you're wondering," she began, the noise slowly dying down, "about those golems all across the room. Why do they need gears when we can power them ourselves?"

There was a knowing smirk on Faust's face and an expectant light in her eyes. She understood that no one would speak up, since it was only the first day.

"The answer is simple," she eventually conceded. "Aeromancy is the most physically demanding craft. We need to conserve our mana as much as possible, since spells are costly and our reserves are small. If we power these golems with constant streams of magic, we'll exhaust ourselves completely. One short burst is all they need to start up, then they'll run on their own."

Many first years signed up for this course because they wanted to learn big, flashy spells. Summoning a tempest. Splitting the ocean in two. Gathering storm clouds and raining down on the enemy with lightning bolts. But using them capriciously could drain the caster and endanger one's allies. If there was anything Rusalka wanted to teach her students, it was restraint. Kids from other schools didn't spend years honing their support skills, only for the aeromancers to sweep them off the field during joint exercises.

"In a fight, manmade gadgets can do the simple things, saving your mana for when you really need it. Someday you'll command the raging seas and bend the harshest elements to your will, I promise. But you'll also be resourceful and use your heads. We offensive magic users aren't invincible, after all."

The professor's screwdriver never seemed to leave her hand. She brandished it like a wand as she spoke, punctuating each of her sentences with a flick of the wrist. Otherwise, the tool was buried deep in a new invention. Maybe she was industrious, or perhaps the jumpy, anxious stereotype about aeromancers was true and Faust's tinkering was just a nervous habit. No way. The young instructor looked poised, confident, and engaged in the lesson.

But when a gray blur flew in through an open window, the screwdriver nearly flew out of her hand. However indiscernible, Rusalka knew exactly who it was. An aloof third-year with icy blue eyes, small horns peeking through his silver hair, and reddish skin like a really, really bad sunburn. Yet his skin was always freezing, and his hair was still wet from a cold shower. The professor couldn't deny his immense talent, but he represented everything a wizard shouldn't be. The type of person who wouldn't let anyone get in his way, who perpetuated the notion that aeromancers were arrogant, stealing the show and rendering others irrelevant.

"Silver Molniya," sighed Rusalka. "I knew you'd show up eventually. Is it really so hard to use the door?"

"You're all about being resourceful, right? Thinking outside the box," answered Silver, pacing to an empty seat with his head cocked forward and his hands in his pockets. "So I'll enter the room how I please. Besides, I'd be damned if I followed my teacher around like a kid."

Rusalka internally rolled her eyes. You're a demon, so it's a little late for that.

"Seems like you were paying attention. Were you out there whole time?" she instead asked.

"Maybe I was, or maybe I was miles away and have amazing hearing. Or maybe it's because you give that spiel every year," Silver shrugged. "I have amazing eyesight, that's for sure. It was hard to spot a window that wasn't blocked by your heaps of junk."

The instructor's forehead crinkled with an angry vein, a comedic sort of rage, the kind one felt for an old nemesis. "You know, I agree with you being resourceful. Instead of sitting in a desk, why don't you sit on the floor?"

"Is it because I'm red? Treating me like less than a human," Silver dismissed with a smirk, leaning back into the chair beside Robert and Sophia.

Elyus Nestri
"Hmm? Kuro?" He inquired out loud. Was she looking for someone? Or something? Although she didn't say anything in response to his questions, Elyus was relieved to see the new student slowly calm down. "After the tour I believe we're heading to the cryomancy classroom, but after that do you want me to help you find this Kuro person?" He was perhaps being a bit nosy, but he couldn't just let a student have a mental breakdown if he could help it.

After the boringly long walk around the school he had seen a billion times by now, the group finally made their way back to the Cryomancy classroom. Whilst Ashley and Professor Avogadro continued discussing with each other, which became a common sight over the years for the older cryomancers, other students mingled and got to know each other. There were a few students by themselves, but hopefully the entire class would bond over time, as it has done in past years.

Elyus decided to sit near the corner of the classroom, right beside one of the rustic windows, as was tradition for him. In front of him was an unfamiliar figure with snow-white hair. "Hey, are you a new student?" He inquired without much of a second thought. "This is my third year here, so if you have any questions feel free to ask." He was beginning to feel a bit of pride being one of the more senior students at the school now.
Interactions: ElenaIsCool ElenaIsCool Kirby3178 Kirby3178
Mentions: titania titania OrWangatan OrWangatan

Bianca's eyes once again filled with hope at the prefect's suggestion and nodded eagerly. She definately wanted to see her sister again, the few minutes without her seemed like years.
The blue eyed girl said in with her soft voice and pat her off-coloured scarf for the fourth or fifth time and sighed. Some hot chocolate right then would be great, with a good book to calm her nerves but it was probably too late for that. With newfound calmness and a nod of thanks to the prefect, Bianca caught up to the rest of the group and tried to enjoy the rest of the tour.

When they finally reached the classroom, Bianca looked around, seeing the were-prefect talk to a boy who looked similer to her. She thought about talking to them before shaking away the thought. She would stutter and freeze if she tried and get lots of attention. Bianca decided to look for a seat. This process took awhile before she chose a seat at the back where she couldn't attract any sort of attention. The snow-white haired girl reached over to her pocket and took out a carving knife and an undone statuette of what looked like a person and began to work on it once again.

MiraAutumn MiraAutumn Kirby3178 Kirby3178

1565368905629.jpeg
Stien Glacier
Stien was in the midst of writing then a boy came up to him asking if he was a new student. Stien was a little taken aback by the fact that someone was striking up conversation out of nowhere.
"Yes, I am new, my name's Stein Glacier"
Stein quickly remembered his sword and glanced back at it, he didn't want anyone to think he was going to hurt them so he just acted like he didn't notice that it was there. He looked to see a girl looking aimlessly for a seat and when she finally found one she pulled out a small knife and a carving, he couldn't see what exactly it was but he could tell that it was beginning to take shape.​
[Interacting: MiraAutumn MiraAutumn ] [Location: Cryomancy Classroom] [Mentions: ElenaIsCool ElenaIsCool ]

"The classes here are pretty nice," said Flannery. "I mean, compared to how middle school probably was for you." She cringed inwardly as memories of a much more trying time came back to her. Setting them aside for now, she continued, "It's hands on and most of the work is done independently, which I'm grateful for." She left the obvious because I'm not great with people unspoken. "Our professors are pretty cool, too." She nodded in the direction of Moonthorn and Whisper.

As a rather claustrophobic silence set in between the two of them, Flannery felt her throat tighten. Trying to stifle the onset of twitching in her hands by gripping the hem of her jacket, her eyes flitted back and forth between the two professors. "Uhhh, I gotta ask Professor Moonthorn to help me pin some bugs I found earlier," she told Kuro, feeling bad for leaving her like she was about to but unable to ignore the sweat forming on her brow and the lightheadedness behind her eyes. "I'll hopefully talk to you later, yeah? Oh, and I hope your sister is well. I'm sure she'll be fine."

With that, Flannery hurried over to her professors, almost hiding behind the two of them. What was up with her? She shook her head, trying to calm herself all the while cursing her fragility. She briefly considered sneaking back to her dorm and trying to sort things out with herself there, but remembered Mordecai was still out and about. And, well, leaving him would only make her even more nervous.

ElenaIsCool ElenaIsCool

What was being tested here, the students' knowledge or Rusalka Faust's patience? This was the question she asked herself every time Silver Molniya was present. Irked and attentive, laid-back and dismissive—the students had yet to see a real battle, but their contrasting temperaments clashed fiercely. The professor couldn't afford to lose her cool.

"The most basic aeromancy spell..." she continued patiently, her chest rising and falling, her words carefully selected, "is a deep breath. The enemy will do whatever he can to get on your nerves, but that's how you clear your head."

She was obviously referring to the demon boy, who reassumed his resting bitch face.

"Today we'll be learning how to breathe," Silver remarked, unimpressed. "These kids must be pretty hopeless if you have to tell them that."

He'd only come to see what the new crop of students was like, and to show them who the top dog was around here. How disappointing. Aeromancers were known as the gutsiest, most energetic and stubborn of all magic practitioners, but this incoming class was lame.

"You always have something to say, don't you? You'll find that our first years are all very talented and deserve to be here," Faust chastised, then reassured her audience. "Each and every one of you will have plenty of chances to show your strength."

With that, the lesson resumed, and a bored Silver turned to the dark-skinned boy sitting next to him. "Hey freshman, what's your name? And how'd someone like you get accepted here?"

Interaction: Alias Alias

Last edited:
"Oh! A tournament. That might be interesting."

Indeed. Now the upperclassmen usually made their own tournaments, just for the fun of it, but a school-organized FRESHMAN tournament? It could either be wonderfully entertaining, or an absolute bore.

"I'll help out, but could there be an Exhibition Game between a few of the seniors? Just for kicks and giggles? Maybe it'll be something to really motivate the first years."

titania titania

Kuro nodded at Flannery's words and kept them in mind. Middle school wasn't as unbearable as Flannery's since she was mostly left alone or was hanging out with Bianca. The independent work was good since she knew how to handle most projects y herself but what about Bianca? She was smart, but very dependent. Probably the school was going to change that.
Kuro had spent so much time worrying about her sister, she didn't notice Flannery was getting uncomfortable with the silence, so it surprised her when she said she was leaving. The raven nodded and gave her new friend a small smile.

"Thanks, I'm sure she'll be alright. See you soon" With that, and a small wave, Kuro began to make her way to the Necromacy class

titania titania

Users who are viewing this thread

Back