• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Dawn of Man -- Cavemen, Monsters and Magic!

Beckoncall

World-Weaver and servant to the most-holy PC
Supporter
This is a general interest check for a Forum/Discord RP with nation builder and individual character aspects. If this sounds like something you'd enjoy, let me know and I'll make sure you're kept in the loop.

THE PLOT:

"This was known as 'The Dark Time' - when living nightmares haunted the lands. With the falling of the sun, unearthly cries undulated from hidden caves as devils stalked out of their shadowy nests to feast upon beast and man alike. They were the Scraol. And they were slowly hunting early humanity into extinction."

"During the days tribal heroes of this age would lead their people on hunts and various other projects. during the night they did hide or defend from the Scraol. A nomadic culture will develop... that must one day settle, and make a stand declaring that they are prey no more."

The setting will be the world of Avecury, long before the glorious Muurdain empire, at the start of what will, should you succeed, be known as the age of man. The world stands at a crossroads, with the savage Scraol poised to become the dominant race of the age, and the upstart humans being an unlikely second candidate for supremacy -- if they can overcome with will, heroism, and intelligence what the "Devils" will do in cunning and savagery.

Survival of the fittest

Each tribe can, with or without other player groups -- hunt, gather, sow crops, perform "Fertility rites" (which can increase population), gather resources (wood, clay, stone, gold to start with) to make tools and weapons and discoveries. As/if things develop, you can discover more sophisticated resources like Cotton, or sugar, or wheat, rice, silk, dyes, incense, and all sorts of stuff which could have wild and various applications and develop the culture of your tribe. Together or separate, you must find a way to survive, and flourish -- in a hostile wilderness at the Dawn of Man.

INFORMATION ON MAKING A CHARACTER (for the curious)

SUB TRIBE CREATION:

When a player has permission to enter the game, they may start by creating a sub tribe, sort of your representative part of the main body "The one people." A player starts with 10 food "units" (each unit representing how much food it takes to feed a unit of people for a given time) and 5 units of people (each representing a team of approximately 5 individuals.) You then must make a series of choices:

1) What places are your people of? people of the woods start with 4 units of wood, people of the shore start with 3 units of clay, people of the cliffs start with 2 units of stone, and people of the river start with 1 unit of gold. Throughout every game "Turn" your people will gather various resources, with food/wood/clay/stone/gold being the most basic. Based on your choice you may want to flavor your tribe in accordance with the choice of the type of people you've started with.

2) Who is your Leader/Elder? Come up with a concept (and if you want an image) of your main character, your protagonist, the guide and leader of your sub tribe who will both function as your PC on adventures and the center focus of tribal relations. Are they a mighty barbarian? A cunning hunter? A person of wisdom and/or visions? This choice may effect additional choices you make.

3) Choose a "Devotion" for your sub tribe -- this represents a devotion your tribe has that can be developed into the basis of magic and/or religion over the course of your adventures. There are eight "Devotions" -- Bone, Blood, Nature, Astral, Fire, Air, Earth, Water. (Four Natural and four elemental) -- the Devotion you choose may give your sub tribe special knowledge, abilities or powers, or just the potential for such discoveries. This represents what aspect of the Great Flint you want your group to manifest it's knowledge and magical power into.

4) Choose a PERK for your sub tribe -- This is either a special tool/item, Totem Animal, or TWO special resources. What you choose and what is permitted is discussed with a GM before finally making decisions, but a special tool or item could be a weapon or artifact or magical thing your chieftain starts with or effects your sub tribe as a whole, a Totem animal is a spirit animal that confers a metaphysical bonus to all your people as well as a manifestation of that animal (A Raptor, a great ape, a huge bear, etc) that is the sub tribe's "Pet" or may have higher ritual significance. The leader may ride the totem animal if they wish. If a player does not take either an item or a totem animal, they may instead have the knowledge of two special resources in the valley -- this could be dyes for war paint and fabric, or incense for visions or courage, or knowledge of great crops like wheat or rice, perfume, to marble, mercury, jade, or any number of other materials that have special applications for religious, cultural, or martial applications. (these two commodities are secret from other players and are chosen WITH the GM either from a list of options or ideas approved of with the GM.)

And That's it!

Feel free to ask questions/comment in the thread. I hope I get some interested people -- those chosen to play will get help creating their sub tribe and the game will begin soon!

Is this campaign based on any established setting, or is it its own thing? It sounds kind of interesting, I just want to know if there's any prior knowledge I'd need.

Is this campaign based on any established setting, or is it its own thing? It sounds kind of interesting, I just want to know if there's any prior knowledge I'd need.

No prior knowledge needed, just an open mind and spirit to game.

I'm interested as well!

Heterological Heterological bluekirby bluekirby ofscifi ofscifi Melomania Melomania AngelCloud AngelCloud :

Flesh out your character concepts either here (and I'll help you fill in the blanks) or DM me and I'll give you a link to the game's discord server and we can chat about your character in real time.
If your character/sub tribe concept will mesh with the game, we can see about formally inviting you to the roleplay!

like what, bluekirby bluekirby ?

what kind of people you are has an effect on starting resources and your may influence your tribes knowledge and culture... so I'd have to know what theme you were thinking.

There's already a game map with those kinds of lands on it. I'm not sure how an additional land type would work, but I'd hear it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back