• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Darkmind Academy, and the Pursuit of Forbidden Knowledge - Interest Check

Rurnur

One Thousand Club
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
My Interest Check

Once, mages were seen as miracles, born once a generation, and capable of performing wonders beyond imagination.

Then, they were criminals. Breaking the laws of reality for their own gain, while the common folk were driven to madness in pursuit of that forbidden magic.

Today, they're soldiers. In a war for magical knowledge, the only currency in a world ravaged by dark magic.

You are one of those mages born with the "Darkmind", a mysterious gift allowing one to study various schools of otherworldly magics that would typically be incomprehensible, and even lethal, to the human mind. Recruited to Darkmind Academy in a place withdrawn from the constantly warring world you're accustomed to, in order to further your magical prowess. But even here, there's no escaping that eternal conflict. There exists a council of representatives in the Academy who sponsor the program, by providing unfathomably rare study material claimed by bloody battle, to the students who pledge themselves to their causes. And so the war games of mages have continued from the battlefields to this Academy, with students and teachers alike shifting allegiances and enacting subterfuge to achieve their individual goals. But what do you seek here? Mastery of your chosen school of magic, or all of them? And are you willing to go to war for that goal? Or is there something else? The Darkmind constantly seeks out knowledge, regardless of where it comes from. But to what end? Could the secrets of the Darkmind itself lie somewhere in the halls of this school?

Hey thanks for reading! I have a lot more lore to share but I wanted to try and be brief here, just to see if anyone is interested in my weird magic system! To summarize, there are various schools of magic based on real-life ideas such as the "four elements" concept, as well as defunct scientific theories like alchemy. The idea is that you're studying the laws of alternate worlds, and implementing them in your own! For example, someone might take a major in Alchemy, a minor in Elementalism, and gain the ability to transform a small bronze sword into a magical golden one, sheathed in flame! And of course, you're free to suggest your own schools of magic and get creative with the combinations. The term "mage" is also a vague one, there are just as many "mages" who wear full plate armor, or wield a bow and fight in the shadows, as there are traditional spellcasters. Then there's the school itself, which I don't really envision as a traditional "school" setting featuring only young characters, it is a generally dark and mature setting. The school was established on a small frozen island surrounded by mist, the building is a massive dungeon-like structure made of smooth black stone, and it's home to the mysterious "Nexus", a place that can transport people to and from various countries at war, which are typically impossible for outsiders to enter. But otherwise, you'll be able to take classes, participate in "military exercises" to gain approval for new study material, and partake in political intrigue! Among other things. But really you'd be encouraged to pursue whatever your character's own goals are.

If anyone was wondering, the setting features a mashup of time periods and levels of technology, various forms of firearm are common, but other medieval weapons are still heavily utilized, with no modern technology being present. Much of the RP will be themed according to traditional medieval fantasy. Happy to answer any other questions! Also, feel free to ask me about playing a non-student (It'd be appreciated!) if the RP gains a lot of interest. (I doubt it!) Oh and I'm inclined towards having at least two paragraphs posted couple times a week, to get an idea of the requirements. Thanks! Very nervous, haven't made an RP in years, but I thought why not! It's not like I have any competition for magic school settings right?

Last edited:
I am for sure interested, as I read it I got a character in mind already.
Definitely keeping an eye out for this :D

Rurnur Rurnur What are your thoughts on a character whose magic is a form of telekinesis that only works on non-living matter, and only when he's in contact with that matter, for example, so long as he's holding a rope or chain, he can make it dance like a snake or wrap around someone but if he lets go the object goes inanimate. He can't use his telekinesis to 'flick' objects away from his body at high speed cause I'm not a fan of ranged combat...that's just lame in my opinion. Weight would be the limiting factor. Right now, I have him being able to sustain up to 136 lbs (average human weight) with great strain.

Rurnur Rurnur What are your thoughts on a character whose magic is a form of telekinesis that only works on non-living matter, and only when he's in contact with that matter, for example, so long as he's holding a rope or chain, he can make it dance like a snake or wrap around someone but if he lets go the object goes inanimate. He can't use his telekinesis to 'flick' objects away from his body at high speed cause I'm not a fan of ranged combat...that's just lame in my opinion. Weight would be the limiting factor. Right now, I have him being able to sustain up to 136 lbs (average human weight) with great strain.

Oh sure, there's a bunch of ways you could make that work! Telekinesis would be a very fitting school of magic, and the way people can cast specific spells is to utilize "runes" in some fashion, by drawing them, maybe using scrolls or hand movements, as a way to translate magical knowledge into the real world. And one of the more extreme forms of spellcasting would be tattooing a specific spell onto your body, so maybe your character did that with his hands! RaiAthar RaiAthar

Rurnur Rurnur - How would you feel about a Necromancer with a dash of conversing with spirits?.
I am inspired by Wednesday Addams (The Netflix series) and feel it would be a branch of magic she would appreciate

Rurnur Rurnur - How would you feel about a Necromancer with a dash of conversing with spirits?.
I am inspired by Wednesday Addams (The Netflix series) and feel it would be a branch of magic she would appreciate

Oh yeah Necromancy would make a great school of magic! and conversing with spirits has been considered an element of necromancy too, so that'd work well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back