• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Darkholme. (Closed)

ThreeSuns17

Just another Empire Ant
The following was created by RinKaihou RinKaihou . It’s an extremely interesting and promising storyline, and I’d love to give it a shot. The only problem is, it’s the oldest fantasy interest check on RPN. Roan has been inactive for 3 years. Since I’m so intrigued by it, I’m posting it again. I don’t take credit for any of the story, or anything else for that matter. I’ve simply reposted a wonderful story that can only be participated in if revived in this way.

When you hear the word’s fantasy setting, the first things that pop into your mind are fairy tales, glorious forested areas populated by venerable elves and human kingdoms. You think of unicorns, and fairies, and mermaids. You think of a place that could have come straight from a little child’s dreams.

This is no dream.

This is a nightmare. This is a place where fairy tales go back to their horrible roots. A place where “happily ever after” doesn’t exist. It is a place where elves get dismembered regularly and humans are the universal prey. Unicorns, fairies and mermaids do not exist. It is a place where the darkest creatures from the depths of human lore reside.

Vampires treat humans as livestock. Werewolves roam the forests, spreading their curse to unwary travellers. The undead , both corporeal and incorporeal, wander aimlessly at the outskirts of human settlements. The rivers are plagued by kelpies and man-eating merfolk, the seas covered in ghastly mist and its mountains home to bloodthirsty goblins. Chasms form spontaneously from the ground, disgorging hordes of demons into the world.

This is a place of neverending darkness. A place where leaving your home during the day is a bad idea, and wandering around at night is a surefire way to get killed, or eaten, or possessed, or turned.

This is Darkholme.

===================

Darkholme is a place where the nightmares of man are made manifest, roaming the land and preying on mankind at will. It is a place where humanity is at the bottom of the food chain, with their only allies in this cruel world being the elves. It is a place of terror, xenophobia and paranoia.

I am looking for up to 5 people to participate in this. You will either be a human or an elf, unless you present a species too interesting to be denied.

You could be a forest sweeper, scouring the vast foliage for the demons and creatures that so regularly have killed your friends and family.

You could be part of the local militia, protecting the place you were born and raised in.

Or... a blacksmith. Forging weapons to fight back the hordes and give the militia an edge in this relentless fight.

So I ask you to join me, friends. To take back Darkholm.

Darkholme is a place where the nightmares of man are made manifest, roaming the land and preying on mankind at will. It is a place where humanity is at the bottom of the food chain, with their only allies in this cruel world being the elves. It is a place of terror, xenophobia and paranoia.

In this freeform, play-by-post roleplay, you take on the role of either a human or an elf who has to make your way in this harsh world.

It acts much like a basic collaborated story, no dice rolling needed (coz I’m not that good at RP systems online), where you only control the actions and POV of your character and nothing else. NPC reactions are decided by moi based on the current situation as well as the character details while other PC reactions depend on their respective roleplayers.

How do I survive in a world such as this?

The humans and elves of Darkholme have developed a strong sense of community, believing in the strength in numbers, similar to fish forming schools to help deter attackers. Towns are more like fortresses, with tall, stone walls patrolled by a dedicated militia branch. The population is xenophobic and paranoid, untrusting of anyone they’re not familiar with. The atmosphere in the towns are somber, wakes and burials occur on a day to day basis and missing person reports are simply treated as a natural occurrence.

But humans are not without adaptability and elves didn’t gain mythical fame as a race for being useless bags of flesh.

Perhaps you are a part of the Slayer’s Guild, the militant branch dedicated to protecting your town from the slew of horrors just waiting to break open the walls like an anteater breaking down a termite mound. Silver sword in hand and a blessed amulet clutched in your left, you face down vampires and werewolves without fear, using martial prowess, a bit of luck and a whole lot of prayer to defend your people.

Or perhaps you are a Sweeper, the branch of the Slayer’s Guild that goes out into the depths of Darkholme’s forests and swamps, whose job it is to hunt down the ghouls that reside in dark caves, cursed mires or abandoned graveyards, in an attempt to cull the local monster population.

A blacksmith who inscribes weapons and amulets with protective runes that ward off werewolves. An elven archer who stays at the tallest tower in the center of the town, whose sole responsibility is to shoot down anything that tries to scale the walls or force the gates open. An alchemist who turned to corpse cobbling to protect himself, banished from the town for his experiments and forced to live in solitude protected by his horde of stitched-together zombies. Or maybe you're a selfish jerk who made a deal with a demon, sacrificing his entire town and family in exchange for a dark power.

You may be part of the race considered as the universal prey of the beings in Darkholme, but that doesn’t mean you can’t bite back.

Last edited:
This has so much potential. But I need more information. Less about the setting- and more about the plot if there is one, or about the mechanics of the rp.
Is this going to be a sandbox rp?
Are there going to be survival elements to this rp?
Will there be some sort of rpg system to this? Like levels... magic or abilities... or stats, etc.

I'm gonna be honest with you. It's okay if you haven't figured these things out yet or if this is all you have to start with right now. But having just a setting is pretty weak.
I say this because I am extremely interested in this and I want to know if this is the rp- or if this is all you have so far.
(I know this was someone else's idea. I'm more asking in general when I say 'you.')

This has so much potential. But I need more information. Less about the setting- and more about the plot if there is one, or about the mechanics of the rp.
Is this going to be a sandbox rp?
Are there going to be survival elements to this rp?
Will there be some sort of rpg system to this? Like levels... magic or abilities... or stats, etc.

I'm gonna be honest with you. It's okay if you haven't figured these things out yet or if this is all you have to start with right now. But having just a setting is pretty weak.
I say this because I am extremely interested in this and I want to know if this is the rp- or if this is all you have so far.
(I know this was someone else's idea. I'm more asking in general when I say 'you.')
I'm also very interested, but I have to agree with Devious Dilbert Devious Dilbert I'm sure that this will turn into something amazing and I would love for you to keep me in the loop ;)
Let me go into a touch more detail. This is sandbox, it could go any which way. It all depends on the character choices made by the players. Abilities are involved but that is based on your class choice, and there must be a consequence. No stats, no RPG type aspect goin on. As for survival elements, are ya kidding me? When I tell you about swarms of demons and monsters, well, I expect a survival element. There’s a group mechanic, the players characters would all know each other, and work as a team in their own sort of way.

Also, if you want the extra specifics I left out, you can go to the very last page of fantasy interest checks and it should be on the bottom.

Edit: I’ve added the original extra details

Let me go into a touch more detail. This is sandbox, it could go any which way. It all depends on the character choices made by the players. Abilities are involved but that is based on your class choice, and there must be a consequence. No stats, no RPG type aspect goin on. As for survival elements, are ya kidding me? When I tell you about swarms of demons and monsters, well, I expect a survival element. There’s a group mechanic, the players characters would all know each other, and work as a team in their own sort of way.

Also, if you want the extra specifics I left out, you can go to the very last page of fantasy interest checks and it should be on the bottom.

Edit: I’ve added the original extra details
Ah yes. These are things you should include in an interest check.

Alas, I was afraid it was going to be sandbox. Sandbox rps turn me off... but that doesn't mean they're bad- that's just my own preference!

You've got a cool concept. Hope you and your future crew have fun!

I'd be interested in joining this. I really enjoy proper dark fantasy. The character of the corpse cobbler instantly appeals to me because I'm a sucker for necromancy (haha), but I'm flexible. So many great ideas!

I'd be interested in joining this. I really enjoy proper dark fantasy. The character of the corpse cobbler instantly appeals to me because I'm a sucker for necromancy (haha), but I'm flexible. So many great ideas!
Well I'll bite. *ba-dumb tsss*
I’m kidding I’ll get into this
Well I’ll be damned, I was not expecting this many people to be interested! Go ahead and PM me your race+role and I’ll get an OOC group set up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back