• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Darkest Depths - Fantasy Villain Nation Builder

Crocodile

Mister Zero
Supporter
Roleplay Type(s)
The Dark Lord is dead, slain in his fortress in the highest peak of the Mountains of Madness. Each of you were fighting the Forces of Light in some portion of the Mad Bastion. You felt the pulse of darkness as the Dark Lord was killed. Little did the Forces of Light know that your master chose to destroy himself and spread his power to each of you rather than allow the Light to truly be victorious.

Each player will take up the role of a Dark Scion, one of the devoted followers of the Dark Lord before his demise. Through some occult method, the Dark Lord shattered himself into shards of power, destroying himself utterly but empowering each of you. The Shards whisper to their owners but have convinced each of you to use the escape tunnels of the Mad Bastion to flee into the vast cavern systems of the Mountains of Madness known as the Mad Maze. There each of you have been drawn to a Well of Darkness which your Shard may recharge at, giving each Dark Scion the foundations of a Lair.

Each Dark Scion is now empowered to pursue their agendas, perhaps one will rise to become Dark Lord or forge some alliance amongst themselves. Each has a Lair in the Mountains of Madness. Each Lair is a point of stability in the Mad Maze which seems to shift and alter at a whim. Each Scion can navigate the Mad Maze to engage, attack or trade with the others. Fair warning, the Forces of Light have noticed that the power of the Dark Lord is not gone. You must be prepared and expand your personal lairs into vast dark kingdoms to withstand Adventurers and military incursions.

So, whose interested in building their own dungeon lair and scheming against the surface world?

I don't often play evil characters or groups, but I'm not averse to trying. I'm interested.

I'll throw my hat into the ring, this seems interesting. Oh and hi BoN people! (If any of you remember who I am.) How have you been?

So I have three ideas for what I could play:

A chaotic and primordial nature spirt that was brought to heel and forcibly subjugated by the Dark Lord. So ancient that they predate them - though I don't know what lore Crocodile Crocodile has in mind for the DL so that might not work - and deeply resenting being bested by this upstart. As a final insult they where endowed with the Dark Lord's Gift and frankly they are tempted to try resurrect him so they can get the pleasure of killing the slimly bastard themselves. Failing that they'd settle for utterly destroying all remnants of their hated Master, even if they must use these remnant shards to do so.

Or a Sorcerer and their Apprentice from an line of magi soaked in blood and betrayal. (i.e. Discount Sith - so they'd probably have a personal vendetta against the forces of light or maybe just one order within it). Possibly the Apprentice's inevitable betrayal takes place before the RP and they have already usurped the Dark Shard for themselves and now have to deal with the ramifications of their little coup. Or it could be a plot point that happens later with other player's help.

The last idea was maybe my Dark Scion be some common footsoilder. I noticed that it was just 'devoted followers' of the Dark Lord not 'generals or lieutenants'. And hey the Dark Lord is mad (right?), so why couldn't it just be some random mook? Maybe they could make a pro-mook rights organisation? A dictatorship for the masses! "The common solider has nothing to lose but their chains!"

So what do you guys think?

So im going with this...

pinhead-idc.gif

I'm quite pleased by the response. I'll start working up an OOC, Rules, Lore and CS posts. Just be patient as I get things together.

Like with the chap above, if there is any room left, mind if this skele Boi throws their hat into the ring to join in the madness?

That gives me a head count of ten players. Fine by me and all players I'm curious to seeing action as aspiring powers of darkness.

The Dark Lord is dead, slain in his fortress in the highest peak of the Mountains of Madness. Each of you were fighting the Forces of Light in some portion of the Mad Bastion. You felt the pulse of darkness as the Dark Lord was killed. Little did the Forces of Light know that your master chose to destroy himself and spread his power to each of you rather than allow the Light to truly be victorious.

Each player will take up the role of a Dark Scion, one of the devoted followers of the Dark Lord before his demise. Through some occult method, the Dark Lord shattered himself into shards of power, destroying himself utterly but empowering each of you. The Shards whisper to their owners but have convinced each of you to use the escape tunnels of the Mad Bastion to flee into the vast cavern systems of the Mountains of Madness known as the Mad Maze. There each of you have been drawn to a Well of Darkness which your Shard may recharge at, giving each Dark Scion the foundations of a Lair.

Each Dark Scion is now empowered to pursue their agendas, perhaps one will rise to become Dark Lord or forge some alliance amongst themselves. Each has a Lair in the Mountains of Madness. Each Lair is a point of stability in the Mad Maze which seems to shift and alter at a whim. Each Scion can navigate the Mad Maze to engage, attack or trade with the others. Fair warning, the Forces of Light have noticed that the power of the Dark Lord is not gone. You must be prepared and expand your personal lairs into vast dark kingdoms to withstand Adventurers and military incursions.

So, whose interested in building their own dungeon lair and scheming against the surface world?
I'm interested!

Certainly, I'll make room. Thankfully the Mad Maze is a dimensional nightmare so I don't have to map it and limit spacing only within reason.

Truly, the greatest evil of them all: communists.
Senator McCarthy is that you??

And at an auspicious time, too, heh.
Yeeeah, coming back to RPN just as BoN reached an premature (it was premature right? I don't know, my lurking on the discord has been minimal) end was a bit funny. Assuming that's what you are talking about

Certainly, I'll make room. Thankfully the Mad Maze is a dimensional nightmare so I don't have to map it and limit spacing only within reason.
Sooo what kind of things can you find in the Mad Maze? Could you say find a house made of candy canes in the middle of a dessert desert, or is it just caves with like mushrooms & stuff. How much of it do you already have mapped out? (EDIT: Ooops, no map. I misread the part where croc said that they 'didn't have to map it') Oh and did the Dark Lord make the maze?

Last edited:
Sooo what kind of things can you find in the Mad Maze? Could you say find a house made of candy canes in the middle of a dessert desert, or is it just caves with like mushrooms & stuff. How much of it do you already have mapped out? Oh and did the Dark Lord make the maze?

The Mad Maze mainly is subterranean, but you can stumble upon planar gateways. You could find odd locations or creatures. One of the things about your Dunegons is they are islands of stability. As you expand outwards, you have to stabilize the Maze to create more set space to build chambers. But it also means you can build resource production more fluidly. Mines will produce yields where you build them in the Rings of a Dungeon.

The Dark Lord did not create the Mad Maze directly. It was more a result of the Mad Bastion being built in the Mountains of Madness. The Mountains were always a bit creepy and weird with various abandoned mining projects and delvings. The Mad Bastion basically decoupled the innards of the Mountains from stable reality. They have to obey certain rules of the caverns, but it creates planar tears that let things slip in or create odd findings.

Exploring the Mad Maze is a valid action and can have amazing yields. It can also be dangerous. Risk vs Reward. You could never touch the Surface, but the Surface will come for you. That is an inevitability. The Dark Scions will be felt as they grow in power and the Light will respond with Adventurers, scouting and full on military attacks. I'll be keeping note of the level of alarm so that players are aware when things start to get more crazy. They just might not know how until the events play out.

The Mad Maze mainly is subterranean, but you can stumble upon planar gateways. You could find odd locations or creatures. One of the things about your Dungeons is they are islands of stability. As you expand outwards, you have to stabilize the Maze to create more set space to build chambers. But it also means you can build resource production more fluidly. Mines will produce yields where you build them in the Rings of a Dungeon.

The Dark Lord did not create the Mad Maze directly. It was more a result of the Mad Bastion being built in the Mountains of Madness. The Mountains were always a bit creepy and weird with various abandoned mining projects and delvings. The Mad Bastion basically decoupled the innards of the Mountains from stable reality. They have to obey certain rules of the caverns, but it creates planar tears that let things slip in or create odd findings.

Exploring the Mad Maze is a valid action and can have amazing yields. It can also be dangerous. Risk vs Reward. You could never touch the Surface, but the Surface will come for you. That is an inevitability. The Dark Scions will be felt as they grow in power and the Light will respond with Adventurers, scouting and full on military attacks. I'll be keeping note of the level of alarm so that players are aware when things start to get more crazy. They just might not know how until the events play out.
Oh that's cool lore. Interesting that you can't get out into the surface. The entire maze is like a prison, nice and claustrophobic. Plus trying to survive/hide from the forces of light sounds like it'd be fun!

Oh that's cool lore. Interesting that you can't get out into the surface. The entire maze is like a prison, nice and claustrophobic. Plus trying to survive/hide from the forces of light sounds like it'd be fun!

You misunderstand. You can get to the surface. That's part of how you can influence things. I'm just saying a Dark Scion could bunker and just probe the Mad Maze for stuff, but the Forces of Light will still start looking for you.

You misunderstand. You can get to the surface. That's part of how you can influence things. I'm just saying a Dark Scion could bunker and just probe the Mad Maze for stuff, but the Forces of Light will still start looking for you.
Oooh, right yeah I see what mean now. Yeah that makes more sense. Probs best go on the offensive then huh, though that might just bring more heat down onto you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back