Story Darkened Freedom

Ysera

Rp with me. I hunger for it.
Darkened Freedom

If I were to be anyone I wanted to be, I would be a bird, soaring through the sky, as free as the wind itself! Nothing could stop me…

But that was as far from the truth as possible. I was not a bird. I was not free. My heart was heavy, my breath strained, my very soul chained, as I stared at the ceiling of my cell. The walls were slimy, water could be heard dripping throughout the dungeon, and the only light source came from the guards lanterns as they patrolled the area.

My life was numbered. By how long, I did not know. I just knew that I was to be executed. I will not tell you how I ended up here. All I will say is that I was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Somebody rattled the bars of my cage with a crowbar, stirring me from my thoughts. I looked up, seeing a grim faced guard glaring down at me. He was traditionally dressed all in black. He had gray eyes, and his short cropped hair was black with a silver streak down the middle. A faint smile touches my lips. Was it finally time? Had my misery finally come to an end? As if reading my thoughts, the guard answered my silent question with two words.

“It’s time.” His voice was deep, emotionless. It was clear to me that he had been doing this for a long time. Whatever reaction the prisoner gave, they would get no response from him.

At last… I think as I got up and followed him out. Three more guards joined us, surrounding me on all sides, in case I should try to run. But was there any point in running? I had learned a long time ago that the world was a cruel, cruel place. With that revelation, any hope I had left slowly drained out of me.

Since my capture, I was imprisoned in the lowest parts of the dungeons of a palace.My only company for the last several months were the guards, and the moaning of the other prisoners. I barely remember what the outside looked like. But I can remember the inside… Both levels of the dungeons led out into a courtyard with three guillotines. I was not allowed to see the rest of the palace…

One of the guards shoved me forward, once again jolting me from my thoughts. Head bowed, I picked up the pace, half stumbling, as we finally reached the courtyard. I had to squint and shield my eyes from the sun after months spent in the dungeons with only the dim lighting of lanterns. Despite the hopelessness of my situation, the warmth of the sun and the freshness of the cool breeze lifted my spirits. After the stale scent of sweat and suffering in the dungeons, it felt good to breathe deeply again. I stood, basking in the glorious moment, before I was shoved forward again.

As we crossed the courtyard, I studied the other two people under the guillotines. Like all prisoners, they wore the common black and white striped prisoner garb. Their faces were devoid of hope. Like me, they were sick of living, and were ready to die.

The guards led me down to my guillotine. I got down on my knees, and put my head and arms in the holes as the guards put the wooden bar down over me. The execution had begun.

I heard the metal blade quickly cutting through air to claim its first life. A few minutes passed as the men prepared for the second execution. Then I once again heard the whistle of the blade before it chopped off the head of its next victim. The head rolled into my view, and quickly came to a stop near me. His sightless eyes stared into mine, mouth gaping wide in pain as blood gushed out from the neck, gathering in a pool on the already blood soaked grass.

I remember, as a young boy, my dad would tell me tales of the French Revolution, where aristocrats were executed daily. Back then, the thought of a bloody head sent me scurrying to my mother’s bed to cuddle up next to her for comfort. But now, the sight of the head got no reaction from me. I merely closed my eyes, waiting for the end to come. And finally, finally, after many months of waiting, my time had come. I could hear the blade coming down, the seconds ticking by. The blade connected…

And then nothing.
Just darkness.
Sweet, sweet darkness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back