• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Dark Omens (Interest Check)

Enkerzed

Dusty Wanderer
DARK OMENS

In a future yet to be,

A cataclysmic battle will ensue.

For the fate of the world,

We struggled,

We fought...

blade_of_the_gods_by_shahabalizadeh_d9ybyjo-pre.jpg

And we lost.

At the end of all hope,

With our backs against the wall,

There is but one final gambit to play.

Mages,

Warriors...

protector_s_covenant_by_liewjj_d8i45x5-pre.jpg

Champions of Gaia.

Be cast back through time

And alter the course of our fate.

Foretold by dark omens.​

MAIN || CS || LORE || OOC

Before getting into the premise of the roleplay, I'd like to just get a few things out of the way first. The setting is medieval fantasy (no guns), humans only and single character limit, albeit with a twist which I'll explain shortly.

So basically, the skinny of the story is something like this: you're a hero from the future who's been sent 10 years back into your past self to avert a tragedy that will trigger the destruction of humanity by forces from other worlds and a traitorous deity. If you'd like to know more, then please read on.

~~~​

The goddess of the world, known as Gaia, had three deity sons known as the Warrior, the Magician and the Trickster. The Warrior had incredible strength and power, the Magician had control over the elements and the Trickster had freedom over form and movement. All three were meant to protect and guide humanity as beings from other worlds tried to enslave them. Dragons, ogres, demons and the like.

Many battles were fought throughout the ages and together with humanity, the three brothers managed to beat them back each and every time. But throughout all that time, it became apparent that the Trickster was the least favoured Brother among the humans, if not outright despised. This is because between each invasion, humanity tended to turn on itself and the most amount of misery by far was wrought by those blessed with the powers of the Trickster.

Deceivers and betrayers, they would often make puppets out of kings and usurp control of entire nations, causing wars, famine and deep divides among the people. Almost always, they would play the role of the villain throughout the annals of history and as those born with the blood of the Trickster came to be shunned, so too did the Trickster himself. No matter how much he had contributed to protecting the world, humanity would sing praises to Gaia, the Warrior and the Magician... but not him.

Eventually, the Trickster was no longer counted among the Guardian Brothers and he became so embittered with jealousy that when his only worshipers consisted of black-hearted rogues and devils, he sought to become the monster they thought him to be and abandoned all interest in protecting an ungrateful race, seeking instead to engineer their destruction. With all the combined malice of those who had misused his powers in the past, the Trickster sewed chaos among humanity and when they were at their weakest, he opened the way between worlds. All the enemies of old came flooding back in a torrent and not even the Guardian Brothers could stop them this time.

The Warrior fought valiantly, but was eventually slain in the field of battle. The last remnants of humanity dwindled to a mere handful and all, it seemed, would soon be lost... but the Magician had a final gambit to play, which brings us to now. Gathering the most powerful mortal champions left, he sent their souls ten years back through time into their past selves and gave them a final mission. To stop the assassination of the king in the city of Liotra and thereby prevent the beginning of the end.

~~~​

So basically, your character would essentially be a composite character of their past and future selves. Here are a few examples to illustrate:
Fara.jpg
Kiran.jpg
Mikkel.jpg

Anyways, the roleplay will begin immediately after the leap through time and your character would have experienced it as something like waking up from a dream (or nightmare). It's important to note that your character will wake up with all their memories from the future, but NOT their abilities. All that will have to be built back up from scratch. That said though, as a descendant of the first heroes, those blessed by the Guardian Brothers, you will at least have a power you were born with. It can either be physically oriented (aspect of the Warrior), relating to elemental magic (Magician), or stealth (Trickster), but only one of the three aspects. Can't mix and match I'm afraid.

For those joining at the start, your character would either be within or near the city of Liotra. For whatever reason, you were already around when the assassination of the king was about to take place. For those joining a bit later, we'll just say they were a bit too far away to make it in time, but can still have a part to play in the events to come. In any case, the roleplay will be open all the time. Just make sure you can post when it's your turn to post and say when you can't. If you don't feel like there's much you can write at a certain moment, there's always the option of skipping your turn and if you don't post within three days, your turn will be skipped anyway so communication will be key.

It's important to note that for the personality of your character, you should detail how they were like in the past compared to their current selves. If the disparity is big enough, say that they might as well be two different people in the same body, then it's allowed to treat them as if they are two different characters with one in control at a time. If you're a fan of RWBY, think Ozpin and Oscar. Though it's also possible for a perfect merge to occur and it won't be necessary to deal with such nonsense. Basically, this is all optional so whichever route you decide to go with, it's up to you.

If you've read this far then hopefully that all sounds fair and if you're interested in joining, please let me know so I can notify you when everything's ready to go.

Last edited:
Interesting Quantum Leap-style twist.

I'd like clarification on exactly what the future selves bring to their past selves. If a future version of a character learned how to juggle, it's a little hard to imagine they'd be pushed into the past, have memories of juggling but are unable to actually juggle. Although I can easily see other issues to make application a little trickier (i.e. if you didn't learn to fence until the future, you might know how to but your hands lack the calluses and possibly the musculature, putting you at a disadvantage until you've had the time to train back up).

Or do you mean when you say they don't have the abilities they had in the future, they don't have the Blessing powers they learned since? For example: A girl who had the power of Freeze when she was 18 might have unlocked Flood, Deluge and Deadly Hail in the future, and she remembers using those abilities but her body in the past simply can't manifest that magic without proper development.

Judging by your example character, it's not uncommon for the first Ability/Blessing to appear when one's young. How does one go about gaining additional Abilities? Practice? A mentor who already had those Abilities?

Last question: How far in the future to the characters come back from? Duncan's 18 now but presumably there was at least one war after the assassination, followed by his recruitment, training and eventually becoming a champion. That sounds like a good ten years to me at least. What were you intending?

Those are some good questions. I'll try my best to answer each one.

Memories and experience would be about all that they retain from the future, so that would include muscle memory too going by your juggling example. If they were skilled fighters in the future, they'd still have that skill after being sent to the past, they'd just tire out more quickly and be more prone to injury.

However, if you want to go with the split personality route, then the same cannot be said for your character's younger self were they to take control of their body at an inopportune moment. In which case, they'd simply pale in comparison in terms of what they can achieve.

As for gaining more aspect abilities, I know this might seem like an unsatisfactory answer, but it depends. It could be training, it could be spontaneous, it could be something that happens in a time of need. Basically, it could be anything and the reason for this is because it's all in the blood. I probably should've mentioned this in the lore somewhere, but the first heroes to be granted the powers of the Guardian Brothers would've been able to use all the powers. By now however, the blood of the first heroes is so diluted that most descendants are lucky to be able to use any at all if it doesn't skip a generation, so over time these powers gradually get 'forgotten'. However, the more one uses their power, the more likely it is to unlock others as that's the surest way of going about it.

And to answer your last question, honestly I forgot all about it. Or to be more precise, I couldn't decide how far I wanted the future to be, put it off til later and then forgot all about it. I think I was a little too excited about getting this thing started, so there might be other stuff I've ended up neglecting. If you or anyone else thinks there is, please don't hesitate to bring it up.

Anyways, now that you mention it, 10 years seems like a good enough number, so I guess we'll just go with that.

So, I see on the first CS that the character is 18. Does this mean that he is 18 at the beginning of the RP (having been 28 and brought backward in time)?

i apyr

If we go the split-personality route, would it function exactly like Ozpin and Oscar from RWBY, where the future personality slowly gains dominance over the past personality and gain full control of the body, or do they just coexist?

Thanks. Another question: we start with knowledge of at least one ability of our aspect or we have knowledge of several abilities but are limited to just one?
The owner can correct me but I believe we all start with one ability which, using the character in the character thread as an example, appears to be a reflexive ability that develops early.

After a decade of conflict, I imagine most of our characters will have developed other abilities which they remember now but can't use now, in the past.

I imagine it's a bit like diverting water out of a river into a side channel. Our characters remember where the water's supposed to go but, in the past, we haven't done the work yet to clear enough rock and debris to let the water flow the way we know it can.

Kharmin Kharmin No correction needed, Epiphany is right. Although I will add that you can have more than one if you want, so long as it's justified by your character's background. That said, your character would undoubtedly have been able to use more abilities in the future, but they will not transfer over when they get sent back to their past self as it's a matter of blood rather than memory.

Kabboom Kabboom That is completely up to you. Whether your character's future and past selves co-exist as separate entities or merge together over time is something you'll have to decide for yourself. The dynamic is different for each individual.

Thanks Epiphany Epiphany and Enkerzed Enkerzed for the information. Sorry if I'm asking too much, but I want to get it right the first time!

So, when we go back in time, we appear as the "past" photo? If that's the case, then why is the future photo needed? I can provide both; I'm just trying to understand. Thanks.

You don't really, that's why it's optional. If the rp gets far enough however, there may be a time skip involved and if you already have your character's future appearance handy, then it's more convenient to have it now rather than later.

Asides from that, it's also useful as a reference to how other characters would remember yours from the future, because everyone would have fought side by side for some time and recognize each other already. By appearance if not by reputation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back