Danganronpa ?: Royale Redux

As Masuyo mulls over the body, you think over the situation the best you can. Given the state of the blood, the actual crime is obviously a few days old, but there isn't a single sign of decay on the corpse... Was it being preserved or something? Or were the rooms here just that clean?

Ah... That was surprisingly convenient. Given your experiences so far, you would have expected to need to dig through a half-rotten corpse to try and get any information.

"Still..." You mumble under your breath. "It would be helpful if we could get a look at an autopsy of something..." For a moment, your comment hangs in the the air, met only by silence as you accept you're going to have to handle things on your own and-

"Did somebody cccaaallllll!?"  Catapulting up through the ladder shoot, Monokuma soars through the air and lands at your side, a bevy of small electronic tablets in his hand, not too dissimilar to your Student Handbook. "Glad you mentioned it, my partner in crime! I've got just the ticket for all your investigative worries! The Monokuma File!" Surprisingly politely, he hands you one of the devices, humming to life the moment you take it into your hands.

052-file.png

Victim's Name: Hiroki Matsumoto

The victim's cause of death was blood loss, at 8:30 PM. There are signs of

several forms of injury, but all are too brutal to identify the cause.

Other than the numerous stab and cut wounds, the victim also has

a number of bruises around their wrists and ankles.

The body was discovered immediately.

Bruises? Immediate discovery? They just bled out? Damn. There was no way you'd have figured out any of that stuff on your on. For once, you had to admit that stupid toy was actually being kind of helpful. Though you didn't feel he was being helpful enough to say thanks. This was all HIS fault in the first place.

"Hm..." Monokuma already gone, Masuyo speaks over her shoulder, her eyes fixed on the tablet in front of her. "This... Covers the scope of what I'd be able to figure out... And then some... I think you should investigate the room instead... I'll keep looking over the body... Just to be safe..." Looking to her, and then to the body, you nod in affirmation. You aren't sure if she's being considerate, or just practical, but you take the excuse to get away from the body in a heartbeat. Whatever her reasons were, you feel quite a bit of gratitude towards the monotone-voiced girl. She's helped you out more in the past few moments than anyone else has since you woke up in this stupid place.

Spotting Hoshiko at the far end of the room, you decide to head towards whichever area was farthest from her. At first, there doesn't seem to be much of note. As you search around the room, you notice the stands and benches of a gymnasium lining the walls, apparently too far out of the scope of your shock-addled mind to notice until now. Each one is bare, only the odd scuff or stain standing out on the otherwise unremarkable surface. Underneath the stands though, you can't help but feel might be a different matter.

A moment later, you're freeing a door's latch, your nose scrunched up from the scent of vomit wafting, up from your left. You decide, the small puddle more the visible, you don't need to spend any time investigating some idiot's puke, and make your way underneath the stands. At its far end your eye is immediately caught, a large red box sitting conspicuously in the darkness. You get closer. There aren't any traces of blood from the corpse, or other signs the killer may have been there. Inside, there is only a set of clean, mismatched knives, just as spotless as the area around them.

Other than that, your search is fruitless.

"Man... Whoever did this was pretty good at covering up..." Returning to Masuyo with a sigh, you notice the body has been flipped, and she has something in her hands.

"I'm not so sure about that..." It's a blood stained knife. "What do you think...? It was underneath the body..." Your mind races. It clearly wasn't the same kind of knife as either of the ones you'd found. So did it come from that same box? Given how clean the rest of the scene was, it was pretty surprising that the killer would just leave the weapon behind like that? Maybe something happened?

Agh. There were too many possibilities, you'd need to piece everything together before making proper sense of it.

"I think..."

1. "...We should head back down and get the testimonies. We might be able to get a clearer picture on all this."
  2. "...We should talk to Ayumu, maybe she found something we didn't."
  3. [WRITE-IN]

Your TRUTH BULLETS have been updated!

3. Request for fingerprinting analysis of said knife from Monokuma since he seems to have everything ready, keeping in mind that this may be false evidence, then proceed to interrogate for testimonies.

1. because the body was found immediately and  it seems that it should be obvious who's the killer if we ask them but from their actions, they are conspiring to keep it secret for some reason. We probe their testimonies for inconsistencies, find the weakest link and press them until they cough up a clue or an admission, Phoenix Wright style.

Last edited by a moderator:
3. [simj22] I agree with simj22, we first have to check if Monokuma will give us a device that will scan fingerprints then we can proceed to the interrogation. We'd lose valuable time asking, but we need all the time we can get since the lives of those students are on the line. I don't trust Ayumu with investigations like these. The only thing that we'd get from her is a horoscope. Still, an extra pair of eyes would help, and if she would want to add something she would have to inform us of new developments herself.

1. because the body was found immediately and  it seems that it should be obvious who's the killer if we ask them but from their actions, they are conspiring to keep it secret for some reason. We probe their testimonies for inconsistencies, find the weakest link and press them until they cough up a clue or an admission, Phoenix Wright style.

But we dont have a mamagatamamemema, a magic bracelet, sensitive hearing, or death glares...

1. just because

Heretics! You dare dishonor us with your spurious doctrines and reasonings. I say we put purge these buffoons at once, but we cannot do it in a way that will disgrace us. In order for us to defeat you in a manner that does not sully our reputation we must challenge you to a duel. simj22, arm yourself with a sword, any sword will do.

*Heisenberg brandishes a rapier and points it at Ghost* En garde, Ghost!

3. Cordon off the damn body because why are you leaving it out there in broad daylight to go somewhere else.

You eye the knife in Masuyo's hands, and only one thing comes to mind. "We're going to need more to go off of than this..." Your vision turns towards the trap door. You were sure- or at least you hoped- that the rest of the class was probably already trying to drag as much info out of the... Suspects as they could, but you couldn't shake the feeling that they'd be better off with you down there. What if they were doing something stupid, after all?

For all you knew, they were listening to Masaki right now. Slightly, you grin as the thought comes to mind. Yep! Definitely, you definitely couldn't let them do something as ridiculous as that!

...Haha.

Making sure not to look back at the body, you make your way back downstairs.

"Hey, Investigator!" As you reach the base of the ladder, Masaki call out to you. "Nice timing! Find anything important up there? These guys are being surprisingly co-operative." Grimacing a little, you begin to explain the situation to Masaki, and the rest of the class. For once, you don't spend the whole to glaring at you. You go over the state of the body, and the odd circumstances surrounding it. The obscene wounds, the odd evidence, and you even throw in your little 'chat' with Hoshiko. Seeing the odd face in the crowd frown in disgust helps a little. At least some of the people here weren't desensitized psychopaths.

"Tch..." Grimacing, you catch one of your classmates staring up the ladder. "That idiot... The hell does she think she's doing? We're going to need to chat after this shit is over..." Over your shoulder, you eye the dark-skinned boy as you step to make your way up the stage. Was he talking about Hoshiko? Did the two know eachother? Damn. You certainly felt sorry for the dude if they did. You'd only spoken to the girl for a few minutes and you already wanted nothing to do with her. And it wasn't even in the same was as Masaki! He was just annoying. She, on the other hand, just seemed like the kind of person you wanted to avoid. You shrug. Her bad attitude wasn't your issue, and neither was his bad mood. Though, you could probably be persuaded into giving her and earful if someone backed you up.

...Maybe.

For all your aggression towards Masaki, you're not sure how well you'd be able to stand up for yourself against someone so callous as Hoshiko.

Whatever. You have more important things to deal with, you decide, and turn to make your way up onto the stage. The scene is worse than you thought. Bound so thoroughly they aren't even able to scratch their noses, the six people on stage sit in defeat, only ever bothering to look up when someone tries to ask them a question.

Currently, Masaki, and a red-haired boy are the only ones playing interrogators.

"...So you're sure you have no idea who the murderer is?" The ginger haired boy speaks, a frown on his face.

"O-obviously! Don't you think I already would have told you if I did!? All of us went this long without spilling a drop of blood! We haven't done anything! It's that stupid fucking bear! I swear!" You hear someone else laugh to themselves, though nobody seems to pay them any heed.

Sighing, the boy strolls away. "Of course you don't... Thanks anyway..." A look of resignation on his face, he paces in your direction. "You're the chick who checked out the body, right? Thanks a million. I'd have gone myself, but I doubt the whole dead body thing would have gone over too well with my guts, you know." Letting out a wry laugh, he extends his hand towards you. If you didn't know better, you'd have thought he was asking to shake your-

"Haruka Fujita. Ultimate Florist. Good to meet you, I guess, putting aside the circumstances, I mean." Wait. He was actually being reasonable? Cross your heart, after all of the weirdos you'd had to deal with since getting here, you were actually kind of taken aback. If this were some shitty manga, you might have even fallen in love on the spot.

Unfortunately though, your heart wasn't quite that easy to win.

"R-right, nice to meet you too. You managed to find out anything from these guys?"

"Well!" Masaki interrupts your conversation. "We found out that the black haired guy is a weirdo, and that we have two different stories! Four of the folks here refuse to say anything, and the only two that will have totally different stories. One is even trying to confess!" You raise an eyebrow. "Yep, totally! Says he did the whole thing! But the other guy is convinced it was that black haired weirdo."

"...So we need to figure out which one is telling the truth?"

"Yep! More or less." You sigh. Was that really all they found out while you had to stare at a corpse? "We were just about to get to it, actually. That last guy was the only one left we hadn't interviewed... Now that you're here, though, we could probably speed this up..." He smiles. "So, most the class decided they'd 'discuss' things before acting, so only me an the redhead ended up actually talking to these guys! So we're kind of short handed. Originally, we were going to take turns questioning each of those two people, but now that you're here, we can probably handle an extra face..." He looks over his shoulder, eying the 'black haired weirdo'. "Say, like perhaps the accused murderer?"

You sigh. You guess you had some more work cut out for you.

"I'll let you chose which one you want to deal with, of course! I can remember some manners!"

1. Interrogate the one confessing to the murder.
  2. Interrogate the one accusing of murder.
  3. Interrogate the one accused of murder.
  4. [WRITE-IN]

Your TRUTH BULLETS have been updated!

HARUKA FUJITA has been added to your Report Card!

4. Initiate mob cross-examination ala Phoenix wright vs Professor Layton. They'll trip over themselves if all of them are interrogated at the same time.

4. Initiate mob cross-examination ala Phoenix wright vs Professor Layton. They'll trip over themselves if all of them are interrogated at the same time.

4. I suggest that also.

I'm going with @simj22 . Let them fight among themselves first. Point out clear contradictions and continue to apply pressure. But I think we should get more people to keep track on what they all are saying.

Actually, impose a speaking order to make it more bearable. I don't want all of them to speak at once. If someone keeps interrupting, warn them that we won't listen if they keep on doing it. If they still do, just drag them out of the room.

hey slime's 4. cross-examination is a pretty good idea

4. [simj22] I'd go on with this one. All of us must vote on this suggestion because if we vote elsewhere we won't motivate the main character enough to go through with this option.

"Eh?" An almost immediate response, you eye the two boys incredulously. "What do you mean, which one I want to deal with? You're not planning on splitting them up, are you?" They respond with only looks of confusion. "Can't we just like... Question them all at the same time? Three heads is better than one, right? I know you guys didn't check out the... Scene... But, I get the feeling that whoever the murderer is isn't the type I want to chat with one on one." Casting your gaze over your shoulder, your eyes flick between the three suspects. Man, they looked just as unassuming as anyone else in the room, didn't they?

Mumbling amongst themselves, the two seem to come to an agreement as you scrutinize the trio. They all looked just as unsuspecting as you did, didn't they? Not a single drop of blood on any of them, not one easy clue for you to pick up on. Man... Talk about making your job harder than it had to be. Resigning yourself to the task, you turn to face your quarries, Haruka and Masaki both meeting your pace as you move to begin.

"Soooooo, guys!" Masaki starts with a smile, leaving no time for confusion to form. "I know we already asked you guys a couple questions, but now it's time for Round Two! This time, we'll be questioning you all at the same time. Lucky for you guys, the boss girl here decided you'd get to fact check with eachother!"

Before he has a chance to carry on, you sigh in his direction. You weren't quite sure what was going on in the guy's head, but did he really have to be so perky about all this? If you didn't know any better, you'd have thought the guy was enjoying it. Or, perhaps, he was just trying to play good cop. You wouldn't put such a cliche idea as that past him.

...Though, would that make you the bad one?

Surprisingly, you don't find yourself minding the idea.

"Right... So, one of you is confessing, and the other is being accused right?" A hint of annoyance in your tone, a brown haired boy eyes the others nervously. Both of them avert his gaze. "I guess I'll take that as a yes... So! Do any of you have any proof to your cla-"

"Yes!" Immediately, another brown haired boy calls out. "I confessed! Isn't that good enough!? Why would I do that if I wasn't the killer? I wouldn't want to just let someone else get away with it!"

"...And you wouldn't want yourself to, either?"

The next time he speaks, hesitation fills his voice. "Well... I... Didn't mean it, y-you know? We got into an argument and..."

"And what, Hiro, you butchered him like a pig?" The black haired boy speaks with a laugh. "Come on, you think you can do that kind of damage to a body without meaning it? You expect these cute kids to buy a story like that? Aha... Isn't that kind of insulting?"

"Shut up! Leave him alone!" Before the other boy has a chance to respond, the last of them cuts him off with a yell. Looking at him, its clear that he's the most involved of the people here. Features twisted into a scowl of disgust, his eyes narrow in on on the black haired boy, not a hint of compassion to be seen. His hatred as is so clear that you're almost taken aback. You had to admit you weren't exactly liking your first impression of the guy, but... What in the world could he have done to inspire so much anger in the other boy?

"Ohhhhhh?"

"He's just confessing to cover for your crazy ass!"

"I-I'm not!"

"Shut up, Hiro! Do you want us all to get killed!?"

"No but I-!"

At this point, you're convinced that the lot is more interested in just arguing amongst themselves than they are telling you anything useful, and you aren't quite sure if they plan on finishing anytime soon. You get the feeling that reigning them in would be the best way to handle this, but you can't shake the idea that one of them might cough up something interesting if you let them keep going...

1. Organize them.
  2. Let them continue.
  3. [WRITE-IN]

Users who are viewing this thread