Danganronpa ?: Royale Redux

DANGANRONPA ?: ROYAL REDUX

- PROLOGUE -

"..."

Groggily, you shift in your bed.

"..orium"

Faintly, you hear the sound of a voice penetrating into your sleep-addled senses, pushing its way through the sheets and blankets that have managed to find their way around your head.

"...ort to the School Auditorium"

Stirred from you rest, you toss your sheets aside and narrow your ears into the annoyingly-repeating voice that roused you from your slumber.

"All students please report to the School Auditorium"

...School Auditorium? Are you...?

Forcing your eyes open from their sleepy wonderland, you drag your body upright, sitting in your bed as you cast your gaze around the room. Unfamiliar roof, and unfamiliar walls. Sleepily, you blink. Definitely not at home. Nope. Are you at school? Judging by the still incessantly repeating voice echoing throughout the room, you assume that it's more than a safe bet. So... That means you're...?

You cast your gaze around the room once again.

...In the Infirmary? Man... What the hell? The last thing you remember, you were walking to school like usual, and then... You struggle. And then what? No matter how hard you try, you aren't quite able to figure out what came next. Did you black out or something?

Ah...

That would explain why you were laying in here. Damn, how embarrassing was that? Passing out on your way to school, jeez. Someone must have found you laying around on the streets or something and brought you here after they saw your uniform... God, people were probably already starting rumors about it. What a way to start the school year... Audibly, you sigh, as you haul yourself out of the bed. No use in sulking around here about it, you figure. The longer you stay holed up in bed, the worse the rumors will get. At least assuming they didn't already reach their worst. Pacing away from your bed, you cast your gaze around the windowless room one more time, stretching your sleep-addled body one last time before making your escape from the never-ending announcement. You hope, at least, that they'll have the sense to not play the thing in the auditorium itself.

. . .

Following the almost overwhelming number of signs directing you throughout the school, you eventually manage to find your way to the school auditorium. Coming to a stop in front of it's clearly labeled doors, you can't help but be a little surprised. You're just in a school after all, but the entrance in front of you is undeniably grand. Richly toned wooden doors sit within a darker-hued wooden frame, throwing an air of importance into the hallway. Though now that think about it, you realize that the red wallpaper decor doesn't exactly yell "normal" at you, either.

What kind of place was this? There was no way you could afford the fees for a school that looked like this, right? Did someone bring you to the wrong place?

Ah... What a pain...

Regardless, you figure that there at least should be a teacher insider who could explain things to you. Who knows? You were never the type to visit before school started, so maybe you'd gotten lucky and managed to get into some swanky school without even realizing it. Heh. Pushing your way through the doors, you laugh to yourself. There was no way a girl like yourself would be fortunate enough for something like that.

As the doors swing open, you catch sight of a disorganized crowd of people. Scattered throughout the wood-floored room, what you can only assume to be students are scattered about talking amongst themselves without a sign of... Any kind of authority or organization to be seen. Man, what the hell. Calling students to the auditorium like that and just having them stand around like this and wait? Looks like even fancy schools like this were disorganized messes. You sigh. What a waste of time. At least you can tell, judging by the fact that none of them are wearing uniforms, that this isn't a public school. Yep. Definitely in the wrong place. At least there wouldn't be any 'fainting girl' rumors going around this way.

Turning to make your way out, hopefully, to find a room that actually had a teacher, you're interrupted by a voice spilling out from the crowd.

"Hey!" Are they... Talking to you? Curious, you bob your head over your shoulder.

"Yeah, you. Hey! Where ya headed?" Accompanying the voice, a student breaks away from the crowd and jog to approach you, a smile covering his face. "What are you running off for? You aren't late or anything, if that's what this barren room has you thinking. We've all been waiting around here forever for whatever they want us here for to start." Hesitantly, you turn around to explain yourself. At least, you try, but the boy starts up speaking again before you can even attempt to open your mouth. "Honestly... I ran right here when I heard the announcement! Woke up face down on my desk! I though I was missing out on something super-important!" He sighs. "But... When I got here, the place was totally empty... Thought I'd missed the whole thing until everyone else started funneling in." Mid ramble, the boy's face suddenly twists into a frown, and then into one of embarrassment, accompanied by a bout of awkward laughter. "Ah, man... Getting carried away again aren't I? And in front of such a cute girl, too! So embarrassing..."

"Well..." Once again, a smile overtakes his expression. "Sorry about that, haha! I have a bit of a habit of rambling on like that... I haven't even let you get a word in yet! Masaki Abe, deepest apologies!"

Finally, his voice trails off for good and you're able to get a word in.

1. "...Right, Masaki huh... [WRITE-IN], and sorry, I don't think I'm actually supposed to be here. Can you tell me where I can find some staff, or something?"
  2. "Huh, you finished talking? Man... Rambling is right... [WRITE-IN], I guess, but you'll have to excuse me, gotta find my way out of this weird-lookin' school."
  3. "Man! You sure know how to talk, huh? But I guess that's a good thing for the situation I'm in... Hey! If you like rambling so much, you think we can chat for a sec? I'm a little... Lost here... [WRITE-IN], by the way. Nice to meet you."
  4. This guy throws you off. You aren't good at dealing with social types like him. Turn around and walk out the door.

So, we begin! Forgive the look of everything right now, it's super-late and I can't responsibly spend time making things look nice right now... So have this instead! Meet your first mystery, first friend, and first choice! If you're not a player of the games and are wondering about the yellow text, don't worry about it, it's just a quirk from the games I decided to use. Important or relevant things are highlighted in yellow, for your present or future convenience.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. [Maimi Shoumetsu] Man, I spent WAY too long trying to come up with and find a good name.

2. Seconding Naemi Hanako, Hanako was best girl in Katawa Shoujo too. Since this is Danganronpa, probably shouldn't try to latch onto the first guy you see. 

>4. This guy throws you off. You aren't good at dealing with social types like him. Turn around and walk out the door.

For a name though, i'd go with Namie Hitou.

For completely meaningful reasons.

Haaa... Not your type. Definitely not your type. Listening to the boy drone on and on, you can't help but feel nervous. The way he talks, how much he talks, and especially that look on his face he gives you while he talks all give you the creeps. Not to mention that fact that within five minutes of speaking to you, he was already hitting on you. Such a cute girl? Really? Urgh... It makes you want to run away and call the cops.

So, you do.

Disregarding the boy's blabbering and further disregarding his cry of protest as you stride away from him, you fully intend to put the uncomfortably friendly boy behind you, and walk your way out of the building. Even without finding a teacher, if worst came to worst. Or at least you do until you reach the doorway. And find it locked. Surprised, you struggle with the doorknob, the sounds of its pointless jiggling underneath the weight of your arm sounding out around you as your frustration grows. What the hell? You don't even remember closing the thing. Did they swing shut behind you? Did someone do this on purpose!?

Giving up on the door you let out a groan of frustration, as Masaki runs to catch up with you.

"Hey! That was super rude, you know? Did I come off too strong or something? I didn't think I was being all tha-"

"The door is locked." You cut him off. "The door is locked, what's up with that? Why is the door locked?"

"Huh?" Giving you a perplexed look, the brown-haired boy reaches past you- paying little heed to your personal space in the process- and gives the door a jiggle. Of course, it's still locked. "Weird... What do you think?"

"Wh-What do I think!? Get away from me!" Your frustration deepening you push the boy away from you, before continuing on your rant. "This is your school isn't it? Shouldn't I be asking you the questions? Also! Give me a warning before you go reaching past me like that!" Much to your annoyance, he only goes back to smiling.

"Aha... Sorry about that... I'm used to being around... More tolerant people." You feel like punching him. "Sorry to disappoint, though, but I think you're mistaken. I'm not a student here either, anddd, before you go asking around, neither is anyone else floating about the room."

"What?"

"Yeah, weird huh?" You can't believe how casual he's being about it. "I'm not really sure how any of us got here... Maybe it's some kind of surprise school trip? Though, I can hardly imagine the headmaster approving of knocking us all out just to get us here, let alone our parents..."

"Slow down... What are you trying to say right now? Nobody knows what's going on here?"

"Yep!" Shooting an incredulous look in his direction, you can only answer with silence. A weird situation being explained by an even weirder dude. Jeez, lady luck really wasn't smiling on you today. Though, that hardly came as a surprise. Letting out a sigh of resignation, you turn your attention away from the door. This was just a school after all, for all you knew this was just a teacher's way of keeping you in place until they got there to do... Whatever it was they were going to do. Hell, the thought of something important enough to lock you in a room with a bunch of strangers actually made you a little curious. And a tad worried. Or, perhaps, a more than a little worried, you think as the room breaks out into an unexpected ruckus. Suddenly, the noise of what sounds like a metal crate being thrown through the vents echoes out from above you, shooting it's way through the roof, until, violently, the ceiling spits it out directly onto the small stage at the front of the room.

It's a big, brown teddy bear.

1. Stay at the back of the room. You don't want anything to do with this.
  2. Investigate. Things are already weird enough, you might as well take the clue in front of you.
  3. Make Masaki investigate. Better him than you.

2. Ya cant trust a goof like masaki not to fuck things up. As the great Shia of the Beouf once declared, 'merely perform your deed'.

1. Masaki has no reason to listen to us now since we were being a rude dude (or girl, to be more precise), so just hang back and see how everyone else handles it. 

>2. Investigate. Things are already weird enough, you might as well take the clue in front of you.

1. You just discovered the door is locked. You did your share! Hang in the back of the room and hope that one of the others - preferably one of the people less sketchy than Masaki - are willing to grab it.

2. I cant imagine the bear doing anything too dangerous before the show even begins! 

2. It is high time to summon the inner courage that dwells within your soul. Preferably, I would want to throw an object at the teddy bear or poke it with a stick if I have such an option, otherwise I would just approach it cautiously.

Wha...

What in the world!?

If you were confused before, then you haven't the slightest idea what to call the state this threw you into. A bear? From the vents? What in the hell kind of school was this? God, this was all way too weird. Naturally, the room is set abuzz by the sudden commotion, the students scattered throughout the room converging in on the strange bear. Yourself included. Melding into the crowd around the stage, and attempting to peek over the shoulders of the frustratingly burly man you're unfortunate enough to find yourself behind, you eye the bear up. It looks... Normal. Innocuous, harmless, and pointless.

At least, until it leaps into the air.

And explodes.

"Suuurrrrppprrriissseee!" Bursting out from its tattered remains, another bear appears. This time, accompanied by a deafening yell, and a wave of squeals and jumps from the crowd. Yourself included, of course. Dropping out of the air, it falls squarely on the podium at the head of the stage.

"Hey hey, how was that? Were you guys surprised? Shocked? Scared shitless?" It's talking. Why is the bear talking? "I spent all night thinking of that entrance, you know? Not a single wink of sleep... Are you all speechless? Was it that great? Ah... I really do amaze myself sometimes..."

"The..." From the front row, someone speaks up. "The hell is this!? A talking bear!?"

"Ah... I guess not..." Despite not having any real facial features, the bear looks far from pleased. "Miyamoto is just too tough for that kind of thing, huh... How lame of me..."

"Miyamo... How the hell do you know my name!?"

"Huh? What kind of Headmaster doesn't know his student's names?"

"Headmas-?"

"Yep! Headmaster, your Headmaster, that's me! Headmaster Monokuma!"

You don't know how to react. The entire crowd doesn't know how to react. Even Masaki and that loudmouth stayed silent. It was all way too much to process. A talking bear your Headmaster? Man, you hadn't even had time to figure out what was going on with the locked room and now this was being thrown at you. Confusion on top of confusion on top of confusion. As you attempt to gather yourself, the bear seems to scan the room, its piercing red eye sweeping over each and every one of you as you attempt to make sense of the situation.

"...Huh?" It sounds confused. "Don't tell me you guys don't recognize me... Man, that really is disappointing. I mean, I know I don't make many appearances, but that's no excuse to forget a face as handsome as mine! Jeez, no wonder you meatheads got thrown in here."

"W-wait a minute..." Locking in on his words, you speak up. God, you're speaking up to a bear. What in the world are you doing with your life? "Are you saying you know why we're here?"

"Well, duh. As your Headmaster, it's my job to know where and why you meatheads are here."

"...Well?"

"Why, for summer school of course!"

...What? Summer school? Was it even the summer?

"Unfortunately for you guys, all your grades are really really terrible... Doing bad on your exams... Not doing anything of worth with those talents of yours, man, you should all be suuuupppeerrr embarrassed... I know I would be! You're all practically on the verge of execution!" For a second, the crowd looks panicked. "Or was it expulsion... Huh. Same thing anyway, right?" The bear shrugs. "Yep! You losers are totally flunking out! That's why you got cooped up in here! Seriously, students of Hope's Peak getting themselves in a situation like thi-"

"Wait!" Against your better judgement, you cut your 'Headmaster' off. "This must be a mistake, then! I'm not from Hope's Peak at a-"

"Hey! Hitou! No interrupting the Headmaster! Who the hell taught you your manners!?" For a moment, you feel like the thing is going to pounce on you. "Yes... You aren't with these super-losers... Nope, you're just a regular old loser! A lucky one, I guess! See, this is all part of my super-genius plan. I've thrown in one regular run of the mill loser with these premium losers to give you all a test!" You can feel a few gazes being shot in your direction. "Well, basically, I figured that if these guys can't even beat someone like you, they really do deserve getting expelled, you know? Or maybe you deserve entrance! Hm... How does Ultimate Dethroner sound to you?"

You can feel even more eyes being focused on you. The loudmouth from earlier included.

1. Stay quiet. You don't want that thing drawing any more attention to you.
  2. You could care less about those people. Press the bear for more info.
  3. Try to explain yourself to the crowd.
  4. This is really NOT your speciality. As much as you don't want to, ask Masaki for help. [THRESHOLD VOTE: 3]
  5. [WRITE-IN]

Okay, listen up, it's time to introduce a new mechanic. Forgive me for interrupting the events, I won't take up much of your time.

Basically, that 'Threshold Vote' you see up there is a minimum. Whenever one of these pops up, it means that if you want to vote for that option, you'd better vote in force. What happens is, if you want that vote to go well, you need a minimum amount of voters. If you don't meet the threshold number, but you win the vote anyway, your character will atempt to do carry out that vote, but fail.

Well, that's about it. I'll let you get back to things, now.

Oh, also. You won't always be able to tell if a vote has a Threshold or not, so watch out. They tend to show up for tough choices, both mentally and physically.

Credits to @simj22 for the idea.

4. it'd be interesting whether she fails or not

2. We can always deal with that later, so just try and learn as much as possible before things escalate. Besides, this character of ours seems to be developing this way.

Users who are viewing this thread