• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Hell0NHighWater

Queen of Hell

[class=tabs] background-color: #000000; border-radius: 5px; box-shadow: 0px 0px 5px #4d0000; box-sizing: border-box; color: #e4eeff; font-size: 18px; font-weight: bold; line-height: 1; margin: 20px auto; min-width: 350px; text-align: center; width: 50%; [/class] [class=tab] box-sizing: border-box; cursor: pointer; display: inline-block; padding: 10px 0; width: 33%; [/class] [class name=tab state=hover] background-color: #4d0000; [/class] [script class=tab on=click] hide tabsContent set currentTab (getText) if (eq ${currentTab} Information) (show tabsContentInformation) if (eq ${currentTab} Rules) (show tabsContentRules) if (eq ${currentTab} Characters) (show tabsContentCharacters) [/script]
D E A D † W E S T
I N T E R E S T † C H E C K
185c583506f1b64d4f5522d173dfc941.jpg
↽INSPIRED BY⇁
THE DARK TOWER BY STEPHEN KING, FALLOUT:NEW VEGAS, RED-DEAD REDEMPTION, EVIL DEAD, THE MANITOU(1978), DEADLANDS DND CAMPAIGN
↽STATUS⇁
OPEN—ACCEPTING
↽GENRE TAGS⇁
WEIRD WESTERN, DARK FANTASY, ALTERNATE HISTORY, POLITICAL, HORROR, STEAMPUNK
↽BGM⇁
Blues Saraceno - Heroes Dress in Black
[div class=tabs][div class=tab style="border-top-left-radius: 5px; border-bottom-left-radius: 5px;"]Information[/div][div class=tab]Rules[/div][div class=tab style="border-top-right-radius: 5px; border-bottom-right-radius: 5px; width: 34%;"]Characters[/div][/div] [div class="tabsContent tabsContentInformation"]
The year is 1879, and the history is not our own.
After almost two decades of bitter fighting, the American Civil War has ground to a brutal standstill. The Confederate States are still free. California has fallen into the Pacific Ocean. There are men who cannot be killed by a hangman's noose, cattle-drives for human flesh, and demons roaming the West. Rail Barons fight bloody battles to decide whom the victor will be in the race for a transcontinental railroad, while a superfuel called "ghost rock" advances technology by unpredictable leaps and sometimes dangerous bounds. The Sioux have retaken the Dakotas and the Coyote Nation dances the Ghost Dance on the High Plains.

Some say that even the dead walk among us.

Now I know that’s a lot to take in, partner, so let’s start at the beginning....
[/div] [div class="tabsContent tabsContentRules" style="display: none;"]Before I start blathering on about the rules, I would first like to say thank you for making it this far! I know I'm throwing a lot of information at you but it's okay; I'm willing to answer any questions you may have either below or in a PM. I will be the first to admit that this game is a weird amalgamation of genres, but don't let the setting or the amount of lore intimidate you! It's an open-world (as open as the group makes it at least) with only one real goal: Stopping the Reckoning.

How we do that will be decided by the posse. This game might have some dice mechanics (speech checks & combat), but it will play a very small roll and is really only there to make sure characters don't Thanos Snap and break the game.

If this gather's enough interest I'll move everything that I have on there to a forum. Besides the lore stockpile, discord will be the place to go for: most OOC, bounties (making and taking), monster making, updates, posse bonding etc. I've also decided to put this in both group interest checks and dice interest checks because I haven't made up my mind if we're using dice or not.

SOME THINGS TO BE AWARE OF:
I. Always remember that there are consequences to the posse's actions. As your characters progress, certain NPCs will react differently based on the choices the posse has made in the past. There is a very real chance that we could be all set to save the world and end up destroying it instead.
II. Harrowed are not "zombies" in a traditional nature.
III. This world has laws. If characters break laws they will get bounties placed on their heads, some NPCs will turn hostile, characters can could go to jail, or be hanged.
IV. Don't take everything seriously.
[/div] [div class="tabsContent tabsContentCharacters" style="display: none;"]
Strap on your six-guns and saddle up, partner! It’s time to make your lone gunslinger, mysterious huckster, or savage brave. The hardest part is choosing what kind of hombre you want to play, because the Dead West is chock full of strange and interesting types.
[/div]
bf8503ab5cd84059b30cf111395bd0f5.jpg
c986b1b22f57c67b84431ce3ad42b5ea.jpg
a64d64fdc7ae18b3a2c4e561613e0d29.jpg
[div class="tabsContent tabsContentInformation"]
A TALE OF VENGEANCE
Back when I was a young feller, I met a dyin' man. Naturally, when I first laid eyes on him I thought he might scalp me for tryin' to help—now I know what you must be thinkin' Partner: he was a Native and last I checked they weren't none too friendly with Prospectors—an' all I got to say to that is you're right, but he didn't. Instead, he told me a story. At the time I didn't believe it, thought it was a bunch 'o bullshit, hallucinations 'n such, but I indulged him. Then I buried him and forgot about him. But that story, that story still stuck with me and as the years dragged on it began to make sense. I began to run across some folks who, just weren't right, I mean they seemed right decent types of folks, but something was off. They was dead you see—Harrowed. That was when I began to see the truth. That Native I had found dyin' was one of Raven’s Last Sons. Them rotten bastards are responsible for all this—The Reckoning. Ain't the first time it's happened but I fear that this time, they—The Reckoners—might succeed. So I decided that I dinnit like that so much and if no one else was gonna do anythin' about it I may as well try. Spent a long time around the Harrowed, long enough that it made sense to get a job diggin' graves. I studied 'em, befriended some, had to shoot others—until I discovered what was really inside 'em. Ah, listen to me ramblin' on again—this ain't the story you came to hear, at least it ain't the one you should be hearin' first.

So, Partner, let me tell you a story I heard once from a dyin' man——it is a tale of great heartache and of terrible vengeance:
—𝐂𝐨𝐨𝐭 𝐉𝐞𝐧𝐤𝐢𝐧𝐬
In 1763, a young Native shaman of the Susquehanna tribe had just completed his studies. He was an incredible student, a prodigy, and devoured the arcane lessons of his elders as if they were his last meal. Though the spirits had stopped visiting Earth long ago, shamans and other mystically powerful souls could communicate with them on their home turf: the Hunting Grounds. Raven listened eagerly to their words. One summer day, he sat on a high mountain in the new colony the white men called Virginia. As he meditated, the nature spirits told him of the Great Spirit War, and the pact the Old Ones had made with the manitous. His conversation was cut short by the sound of musketry near his village far below. Raven descended the mountain as fast as he could, the cruel din of battle mocking his every step. His feet felt as if they were made of stone, and miles seemed like leagues. When he finally arrived at his village, he saw a band of white men butchering his family. They were the last of the Susquehanna, and now Raven was the last son of a dead tribe.

Raven stayed hidden, and watched the massacre of every human being he held dear. His heart filled with hatred, he left the valley that was once his home and wandered the Earth, searching for ways to increase his own power and exact revenge. The shaman learned many secrets during his travels among both the native tribes and the towns of the white men. He also learned rituals that enabled him to sustain his own life. Though born in 1745, Raven looks no more than 40 years old today. The most important secret he learned, however, was that the Old Ones had left their long forgotten door to the Hunting Grounds wide open.

From 1861 to 1863, Raven visited all the tribes he could, and spoke solemnly of the massacre of his people. He said he was the last of his tribe, the Last Son of the Susquehanna, and he was searching for other braves who shared his thirst for vengeance. Other shamans often sensed Raven’s long quest for vengeance had twisted him, and that he was consumed by evil. Most banished him quickly. Sometimes, though, a vengeful youth—often an adopted survivor of a massacred tribe—turned his back on his adopted family to follow Raven on his dark quest. These young men understood Raven’s sorrow and rage. They were the last of their tribes, villages, or families as well. Like Raven, they were the Last Sons.

Raven told his followers their troubles were caused by the coming of the white men. In some cases, this was true. In others, it was yet another gross misunderstanding between two different cultures. In either case, Raven told the Last Sons he knew how to defeat their common enemy. The Last Sons would release the manitous from their pact, and there would come a Reckoning. Raven told the braves and shamans who chose to follow him that the manitous were the tribes’ protection against the white man’s expanding invasion. He said the Old Ones were fools for banishing the spirits. By forbidding the manitous from leaving the Hunting Grounds, they had limited their own powers and condemned the tribes to a long and painful road that could only end in their destruction. According to Raven, it was the Last Sons’ sacred duty to travel to the Hunting Grounds and return the spirit world to its natural order. There was only one way to accomplish this—they would enter the Hunting Grounds and murder the Old Ones.

You see, The Old Ones asked had the spirits of nature to war against their evil cousins: the manitous. The spirits agreed, but their price was high. The Old Ones would have to join them in their war. The Old Ones traveled to an ancient Micmac burial ground and performed a long and arduous ritual. When they were through, a portal to the Hunting Grounds wide stood open. The heroes stepped through and begin their long campaign against the manitous. The Great Spirit War raged for thousands of years as time is not measured in the Hunting Grounds. It was a secret battle unseen by the vast majority of mankind. Only the most spiritually powerful individuals sensed something was afoot. The Old Ones finally tracked down and defeated their foes, but the manitous, being spirits, could not truly be destroyed. The best the Old Ones could do was defeat them and hold them to a sacred bond: as long as the Old Ones and the nature spirits remained in the Hunting Grounds, the manitous could not escape either. No spirit, good or evil, could interfere with the affairs of men any longer. The Old Ones were trapped with the malignant spirits they had defeated, but the horrors of the world abated and began to dwindle. The price the heroes paid was high——and Raven sought to render that sacrifice useless.
And so, the Last Sons began their long trek to the wooded mountains of New England early in 1863. The group reached the old Micmac burial ground on the first day of July, and stepped through the Old Ones’ gate into the Hunting Grounds. Only a few days passed in the physical world, but the Last Sons’ battle with the Old Ones took many weeks in the Hunting Grounds. In that strange place, the Last Sons committed one atrocity after another, and hunted and slew the Old Ones in the name of vengeance. The remaining Last Sons emerged from the Hunting Grounds on July 3, 1863, their war complete. It was only a few hours before America’s Day of Independence, and the Battle of Gettysburg was in full swing. Many of the Last Sons did not return, but their quest was successful. The Old Ones were dead, and their blackened spirit blood forever stained the hands of their slayers. The manitous were free once more.

When the manitous were bound in the Hunting Grounds, they could no longer deliver tasty tidbits of fear to the Deadlands. The Reckoners slumbered. As the last of the Old Ones died, the pact was broken. The manitous immediately gathered up as much fear as they could, and the Reckoners stirred to find a feast before them. The Reckoners reveled in their revival, but remained all too aware of the mistakes of their past. The Reckoners now know they cannot flood the world with abominations. An army of monstrous creatures would expend all of the Reckoners’ precious energy. Worse, jaded mortals stop fearing the creatures of the night and fight back, as the Old Ones did centuries ago. Far more energy can be generated by keeping the abominations at the edge of the unknown and relying more upon purely human evil.

Mortals will bleed pure terror.

When the Earth is flooded with enough fear to sustain the Reckoners, when it is finally remade in the image of the Deadlands, the Reckoners will walk upon it.

The Reckoning had begun.
[/div] [div class="tabsContent tabsContentRules" style="display: none;"]
RULES
1. Corruption, death, prostitution, cannibalism, gambling, murder, racism, sexism—these are real things in-game just as they are in real life. The story is dark, the world is dark, and there will be characters/npcs dealing with any one of these things, so please understand that this is a mature RP.
2. OOC/player interactions are not allowed any racism/sexism/homophobia/etc. I will yeet you into oblivion. This historical period—at least in our time—was not known for it's outstanding humanitarian views, however if you couldn't tell already this is not 100% historically accurate.
3. No anime FCs please. Realistic illustrations/real people only. Also, please include locations/char name/picture/tags in posts where possible.
4. Romance is a highly encouraged sub-plot. It should go without saying that RPN doesn't allow smut: so don't write it.
5. Unless you really want to go solo bounty-hunting (which is not really recommended), this is a group activity. Please don't RP with yourself.
6. If you can't post for whatever reason let me or other players know. If you want to dip forever, your character gets killed off.
7. You can have any type of character you want: Gunslinger, Cowboys, Samurai, Mad Scientists, etc. The only condition is that everyone starts out human and everyone starts out fairly weak.
8. The GM has the final say at the end of the day. I like to be chill and try to give players an extremely long leash, so...hopefully I'm just writing this to make my rule list seem bigger.
[/div] [div class="tabsContent tabsContentCharacters" style="display: none;"] SHAMAN
Shamans have many roles in Native culture, whether serving the spiritual needs of your people, healing and guarding against sickness, or leading in war. It is rare that one shaman fills all these roles for a single tribe, as the duties are usually divided among shamans with specific expertise. Regardless, all understand the importance of fighting the manitous.
BOUNTY HUNTER
This gun is for hire. Some folks can evade justice for an awful long time in the lawless frontier towns of the West. Fortunately, you make your grubstake by hunting these varmints down and bringing ‘em in… dead or alive
BLESSED
Whether a pastor, nun, rabbi, or chosen slayer, you are one of humanity’s most powerful weapons against the forces of darkness.
HUCKSTERS/HEXSLINGERS
You plumb Hoyle’s Book of Games for the arcane secrets encoded therein. Some say that within this cryptic text are hidden messages detailing ancient incantations and rituals of the black arts. Others believe hucksters are fakes and frauds. Most have never even heard of these secretive sorcerers. Your spiritual brethren, hexslingers, ply their mystical trade with a double-action pistol rather than a deck of cards.
MAD SCIENTISTS
You use ghost rock to create infernal devices of steam and steel. Some believe in your genius, others think you mad.
OUTLAWS
Whether a ruthless bank robber, cold-blooded killer, or innocent fugitive on the run, you have a price on your head and the law on your tail. Some outlaws evade pursuit and build new lives, but some crimes are so heinous that the Union, Confederacy, and everyone in between wants to see the outlaw hanged.
THE LAW
The West is a wild frontier, with wilder outlaws. It’s up to you—whether you’re a town marshal, county sheriff, or even federal marshal or Texas Ranger—to keep a lid on the worst of them.
COMMON FOLK
Not everyone is a hard-bitten gunslinger, war-weary soldier, or mysterious huckster. You are an ordinary man or woman—perhaps a craftsman, farmer, or trader—who traveled west seeking a new life and a fresh start. Unfortunately, folks like you are often preyed upon by the horrors and outlaws of the Dead West, and you’re sometimes forced to pick up a gun to survive.

Once you’ve decided on a concept for your character, it’s time to figure out details. You’ll find a character sheet designed specifically for this, if there is enough interest to warrant me creating one. More information about various classes will be given on the character sheet, but if you've got any questions I'd be happy to answer them.
[/div]

Mix two parts savagery with one part weird, simmer on a howling fire stoked by ghost rock, and you’ll see exactly why some call it the “Dead West".

Super cool concept- wish I could join~
(Also the thread got posted twice? )
Yeah I posted it twice in the regular interest check and then the interest check for using Dice and such. Just because I'm indecisive and haven't figured out if we're going to follow 5e rules for combat or not yet.
You're the first one to respond so there's space! Depending on how many people are interested I'll probably take four others? Maybe? No more than 5 or 6. So if we reach that number I'll make an actual thread to put character sheets on and such.

Yeah I posted it twice in the regular interest check and then the interest check for using Dice and such. Just because I'm indecisive and haven't figured out if we're going to follow 5e rules for combat or not yet.
You're the first one to respond so there's space! Depending on how many people are interested I'll probably take four others? Maybe? No more than 5 or 6. So if we reach that number I'll make an actual thread to put character sheets on and such.
Aaaah gotcha- I didn't realize Dice-RP interest checks showed up in the list of new Group-RP interest checks as well; ya learn something every day ;P
Unfortunately, much as I love the premise, I don't do offsite OOC chats or dice-based games ^^" I do wish you the best of luck with the RP though- the concept is awesome and I hope it succeeds!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back