• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

(D&D) Looking for small group/DM for a beginner (max 4 ppl or 1on1)

Elodie

Hi!

(Thread renewed as of 6/10/21)

I am new to the world of D&D, I’ve wanted to try it out for a while now, but I always get scared by all the rules and mechanics. It’s a bit overwhelming and there’s a ton I don’t understand yet (even the basics, sadly 😅) but I’m willing to learn, so I’m looking for a group or DM that wouldn’t mind taking in a beginner for their first ever D&D game!

A small group would be ideal, but I wouldn’t mind a 1 on 1 session, just so i grasp the basics. Any length of campaign is fine with me, but i do prefer to talk when I have time (I’m a uni student so I don’t have a set schedule, which means that setting a specific time for a session doesn’t work well for me, I’d prefer a roleplay-type/play by post communication. Hope that works for someone else too!) I’m open to talking/rping through thread, dms on rpn or discord dms/servers.

As for my preferences and limits; I am over the age of 18 and would like you to be as well. I usually make medium length posts or match length to you. I usually do third person pov but am leaning towards first person pov for dnd, let me know which one you’d prefer.

As for themes I’d be into something ‘classic‘ for D&D (I’m using the free 5e material online to learn the game so that‘s what I’m familiar with for now), I’m not a fan of futuristic or sci-fi heavy themes - but I do love fantasy! I don’t mind violent/gorey/other adult elements as long as they are within RPN rules, and I am not a fan of (excessive) drinking/alcohol so I don’t like focusing too much on it in stories.

I’ve made a basic character sheet, a half elf cleric that would work as a healer, found it very fun to build.

Again, I'd be fine with a 1on1 campaign with a DM, but I would love a setup with around 3-4 players (so DM, me and a person or two extra that would chill with a newbie!)

That’s all for now, thanks for reading!

-Elodie (she/her)

Last edited:
oooh i like D&D i didnt play the real games but i played custom planned ones that go on over 8 hours
i would be a dragon kin Warrior

Heya, I'd be willing to DM for a new group if we could get enough people. Of course we could do a 1 on 1 session if that doesn't pan out! Though I don't have much experience doing Play-by-Post on RPN, I do have experience with the game from a tableside perspective so I would be able to help with any rulings, character creation, etc.

If you stay play-by-post since I can't do voice stuff, I can bring in my young wizard character that used to make clothes for a living before leaving that life since she bored of it and decided to go on adventure to learn more magic and to have fun. Weavers tools proficiency totally comes up often enough in campaign to justify having it on a wizard.

If you stay play-by-post since I can't do voice stuff, I can bring in my young wizard character that used to make clothes for a living before leaving that life since she bored of it and decided to go on adventure to learn more magic and to have fun. Weavers tools proficiency totally comes up often enough in campaign to justify having it on a wizard.

Of course! Sorry, I should've clarified that I was planning on doing play by post so long as that works for everyone. Also I love the ideas! Tool proficiencies are always fun to use!

Heya, I'd be willing to DM for a new group if we could get enough people. Of course we could do a 1 on 1 session if that doesn't pan out! Though I don't have much experience doing Play-by-Post on RPN, I do have experience with the game from a tableside perspective so I would be able to help with any rulings, character creation, etc.
Hi, I’d love to do group or 1 on 1, whichever works out in the end! I’m not sure how to even start a campaig, so what do you think we should do first? Would love to see Ilikepie Ilikepie and LORD SHAXX LORD SHAXX join as well!

It looks like a nice group has formed or is forming! I would like to participate as well, but do not want to overwhelm the DM as an extra. I look forward to seeing your shenanigans in the future. =)

Four players and one DM is the standard for a D&D party, with most combat situations and I suppose situations in general balanced for that number, but it depends on DM discretion. I once juggled nine players as a DM and that was pretty challenging. I am now serving as a DM for six players, which is far less work.

Regardless of whether or not I can join, I am eager to see what kind of characters you all will choose, and what setting they will be in. =)

Heya guys sorry about the wait! Been busy today but I'm free now. I'd be more than happy to accommodate 5 to 6 people. In terms of organizing things and getting started, since Elodie Elodie mentioned keeping things pretty vanilla we'll try to keep to that theme. If you'd like to we can use the Forgotten realms as a starting point, or I could cook up something more homebrewed as I have a few ideas in mind. Either way we go, whenever you get a character sheet written out feel free to PM it to me. I'm open to pretty much any classes or races from the official sourcebooks, and if you need any help with filling it out I'd be more than happy to offer assistance!

Heya guys sorry about the wait! Been busy today but I'm free now. I'd be more than happy to accommodate 5 to 6 people. In terms of organizing things and getting started, since Elodie Elodie mentioned keeping things pretty vanilla we'll try to keep to that theme. If you'd like to we can use the Forgotten realms as a starting point, or I could cook up something more homebrewed as I have a few ideas in mind. Either way we go, whenever you get a character sheet written out feel free to PM it to me. I'm open to pretty much any classes or races from the official sourcebooks, and if you need any help with filling it out I'd be more than happy to offer assistance!
I’m using a standard character sheet I found for D&D, is that ok? (Though I’m not sure how to fill out all the stats, could you help me with that?)

I’m using a standard character sheet I found for D&D, is that ok? (Though I’m not sure how to fill out all the stats, could you help me with that?)
That works perfectly! Of course I can help you with the stats. Also just for clarification would It be better to have an OOC here or on discord? Asking everyone.

If you would like, Elodie Elodie , I can help you make a character on D&D Beyond, a fairly good website for free-to-play access. The downside is that it only allows one basic subclass for each class (Open Palm for Monk, something for Ranger, Champion for Fighter, and so on). There is not much diversity without paying for features. However, if you would like a healer, that will work well for you, for they have Life Cleric available which fits your healer aspect nicely. I can help with the step-by-step progress of other things, too, but I do not want to step on the toes of our DM.

As for out-of-character chat, I am good with either option. Thanks for being accommodating as well, Zufaix Zufaix ; I would love to see your DM style.

Sounds good then, since Sid doesn't have Discord I'll go ahead and put up an OOC thread and tag everyone in it.
As for out-of-character chat, I am good with either option. Thanks for being accommodating as well, Zufaix Zufaix Zufaix Zufaix ; I would love to see your DM style.
Of course! Like I said I'm open to most things and I've DM'd a lot of different players so that probably helps haha! I'm looking forward to seeing how everyone's characters come out and the interactions down the line.

Is this still open for players? I do like me some DnD.

I would like to toss my hat into the game. How do you want to handle attribute determination? Point buy, rolling, or something else?

Glad to hear! We've been rolling for stats, though if you wanted to use the standard array you can feel free to.

Ok. I can roll up some good numbers (I hope). Do you have a forum yet to be able to post rolls to? And is it just a base 3d6?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back