• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

D&D Half-Sandbox Adventure

RushingRiver

Hello! Looking to create a fun campaign for a sandbox-like adventure. I'm quite new to the world of DMing, so this will be an exciting learning experience for everyone.

1585858977035.png
The adventure begins in the coastline city of Seligen. You are sitting peacefully alone at a small table in Bok's Bar, when suddenly you hear a smash. Then a bang. Then an uproar of screaming and yelling. You glance over to the people sitting near you in confusion. The silent place you had been enjoying had turned to chaos within seconds. You can hear glass shattering, people arguing, and you see a halfling flip his chair in anger. All of a sudden smoke fills the air, and people start stampeding out of the bar at full speed. You rapidly gather your belongings and follow the current of panicked people. Once arriving safely outside, you cast a quick look over your shoulder to see Bok's Bar being swallowed whole by angry flames. You turn around to see a group of armed men, the Seligen City Police, standing over you. You, and the few people that were seated near you.

I'll attach a link to the character sheet sign up later if there's enough people, looking for about 4-7 members :)

Few questions:
A) What do you mean by 'sandbox-like' adventure?
B) Will this be session-based or play-by-post? If the latter will there be any post/timing requirements?
C) Any other details you can share regarding what will be allowed in terms of characters? Starting level, whether or not things like homebrew or unearthed arcana are allowed, etc...

I would be interested in this idea as well. I am curious as to how it will work written out rather than played over tabletop (this will be my first moment playing a D&D campaign this way), so I look forward to seeing how this will be crafted and, hopefully, participate with nice folks like yourselves.

Hello! Looking to create a fun campaign for a sandbox-like adventure. I'm quite new to the world of DMing, so this will be an exciting learning experience for everyone.

View attachment 703640
The adventure begins in the coastline city of Seligen. You are sitting peacefully alone at a small table in Bok's Bar, when suddenly you hear a smash. Then a bang. Then an uproar of screaming and yelling. You glance over to the people sitting near you in confusion. The silent place you had been enjoying had turned to chaos within seconds. You can hear glass shattering, people arguing, and you see a halfling flip his chair in anger. All of a sudden smoke fills the air, and people start stampeding out of the bar at full speed. You rapidly gather your belongings and follow the current of panicked people. Once arriving safely outside, you cast a quick look over your shoulder to see Bok's Bar being swallowed whole by angry flames. You turn around to see a group of armed men, the Seligen City Police, standing over you. You, and the few people that were seated near you.

I'll attach a link to the character sheet sign up later if there's enough people, looking for about 4-7 members :)
Definitely still interested 👍

Few questions:
A) What do you mean by 'sandbox-like' adventure?
B) Will this be session-based or play-by-post? If the latter will there be any post/timing requirements?
C) Any other details you can share regarding what will be allowed in terms of characters? Starting level, whether or not things like homebrew or unearthed arcana are allowed, etc...
A) It's not going to be 100% sandbox, I might give subtle hints from time to time to keep the flow of the game. I don't want to start this and then never finish like most of my other adventures have gone.
B) Depends on what you guys want. I'm basically free all the time except Tuesday and Wednesday nights, just let me know on your character sheet. For a timing requirement, I woud only make one if it's play-by-post.
C) Let's stick to the books, as it is my first time as a DM, so base your character off of the contents in the Players Handbook. And let's start at level 1. I'll share more in the sign up thread, which will be posted here shortly.

C) Let's stick to the books, as it is my first time as a DM and I'll probably get confused, so base your character off of the contents in the Players Handbook
So are we limited to things from the Players Handbook or can we use stuff from the other published books like, say, Xanathar's Guide to Everything?

I own the Players Handbook, so I can check and fill in a few blanks if needed (hopefully I won't have to though), but I do not have the other ones. If you can get all of the statistics and information about your character to me before the adventure begins, then sure. I've never done this before so I'd like to stay organized and know everything about every character in advance.

A) It's not going to be 100% sandbox, I might give subtle hints from time to time to keep the flow of the game. I don't want to start this and then never finish like most of my other adventures have gone.
B) Depends on what you guys want. I'm basically free all the time except Tuesday and Wednesday nights, just let me know on your character sheet. For a timing requirement, I woud only make one if it's play-by-post.
C) Let's stick to the books, as it is my first time as a DM, so base your character off of the contents in the Players Handbook. And let's start at level 1. I'll share more in the sign up thread, which will be posted here shortly.
I see. Lvl 1 and player's handbook limited is not really my cup of tea right now. Nonetheless, I wish you the best of luck, and happy roleplaying!

I'm interested but can't do anything at the moment as I have to head to bed. Are there any positions still open? If yes then I can sort out my character sheet in the morning.

OK I have my Character Concept but just need to know, how are we doing things like Starting Items and Starting Gold?

The starting items are listed by what your race and class are. You can find them in the Player's Handbook, I can look it up if you need. You can also add an item if is relevant to your character's backstory (as long as it doesn't give you a big advantage). I haven't quite decided how much gold you will need, but I will let everyone know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back