• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

D&D 5e; seeking players + dm! (Play by post)

useless

✰ 愚か者
So, let me start off by saying that I am writing this on my phone from work, so it is going to be a very simple thread for now. Just to get my search out there and hopefully grab some attention, I guess!

Alright, so I am new to D&D, but have played 5e a few times irl. However, this isn’t rl, so I’m not sure how it will go. Because of that, I am looking for a chill play-by-post type of game!

I don’t know how many players there will be, as that is something the dm will probably decide on, but if you’re interested in a chill D&D game, post your interest here! 💕

I'm interested in doing a DnD campaign, sure. As a player of course. Ive tried my hand at DMing, and it didn't go too well.

Interested ...but ultimately would join based on who the dm was/how they came across. It’s no easy job after all.

I'm a little afraid to throw my hat in because it doesn't look like a GM adopted this yet, and I'm not a gm, but I would be interested in deciding once I had a better idea of what to expect.

Edit: I should probably stop trying to word stuff at 4 in the morning because it always comes out bad or weird. I meant more that there's a lot of players wanting in and no GM and I'm not the most experienced yet XD. Down for it depending on what's up though. I hate campaigns that limit or even dictate races or classes.

Last edited:
This sounds fun. If you need a GM, I do have extensive experience. Though I wouldn't say no to being a player.

So expanding on that as well, what kind of adventure are you all looking for in terms of genre and mood?

Personally I have a preference for darker fantasy, stuff like warhammer fantasy but it's not necessary, I'm totally okay with something a little lighter. My main gripe from seeing other threads on the site is when they pick classes or races for you to play. I'm fine if certain races are not allowed for one reason or another, usually Drow, but other than that I guess it depends in part on the characters. Like if I were to play an Aasimar, it's implied they attract and/or get targeted by darker forces and cults and stuff like that. I probably won't because I'm already playing an Aasimar Warlock in another game, but at the same time I love the concept and brings some fun mental struggle and contrast. On the other hand, if you had an idea, I could work around that as well.

I'm cool with just about anything, although I am partial to settings like Conan and Dark Sun. Low fantasy grittiness. I'm not overly picky about it.

So expanding on that as well, what kind of adventure are you all looking for in terms of genre and mood?

In contrast to the above, I prefer Heroic Fantasy or High Fantasy as outlined in the DM Guide. I like facing sinister evil and dangerous foes as an idealized heroic archetype. Either the shining armor Paladin or the disciplined and honorable Monk.

Not that everything needs to be sunshine and rainbows, otherwise where’s the conflict? I just like it when the world as presented is actually worth protecting or there’s something good to fight for.

Sidebar: One thing I’ve always been dying to RP is the culture clash between a Monk and the rest of the party’s more Western European vibe. Obviously not possible for all parties just thought I’d bring it up.

Oh your Paladin would love the whole aasimar warlock thing, lots of interaction there XD. Probably not normally a thing but my gm in the other game allowed me the ability to shift from defender to fallen if conditions for a mental break are met. Now I'm getting excited.

I am waiting with the excited discussion about lore And stuff for when we actually have a DM

But there is one and they're asking what folks like to see. Seems the original poster hasn't been back here yet though.

I have an inkling of an idea now. It's enough to get to work on something. As to what you can make, use the players handbook and a single other official book of your choice. Level 1, point buy 27.

Aside from that? The adventure I have in mind will be centered theme wise around the jungle and exploration. Think Tarzan, etc. DMG firearms will also be allowed(flintlock versions) and count as martial weapons. Make a PC with a reason to explore and prepare for some Eldritch shenanigans.
EDIT: Also just in case of misunderstandings, I see your wishes for what you want and am working them in accordingly. Lol

You'll need to forgive me for being newer but how does point buy work? I assume that's for the six attributes and I usually rolled for those. I assume I just distribute as I want up to the normal 20 max? Is roll20 gonna be utilized or should I find a sheet on a doc or something?

Edit: looked it up, seems we start with eights across the board and add 27 points

Last edited:
Not sure yet. I probably won't be using whatever I mentioned above because I'm already using it. Warlock also doesn't really spell jungle explorer to me but I suppose it can. I might try a rogue or a ranger or something.

Not sure yet. I probably won't be using whatever I mentioned above because I'm already using it. Warlock also doesn't really spell jungle explorer to me but I suppose it can. I might try a rogue or a ranger or something.

I’m thinking a Paladin and Monk can both fit with a bit of re-flavoring.

You'll need to forgive me for being newer but how does point buy work? I assume that's for the six attributes and I usually rolled for those. I assume I just distribute as I want up to the normal 20 max? Is roll20 gonna be utilized or should I find a sheet on a doc or something?

Edit: looked it up, seems we start with eights across the board and add 27 points
Thanks, I always roll too. :)

I should specify it's a little more complicated. Once you reach 12, the calculator I found starts using 2 of the points per increase and it only actually lets me buy up to 15.

I disagree with this. -takes 17 and puts it in charisma-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back