• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

D&D 5e Game

WlfSamurai

Maelstrom Engineer
Considering putting together a D&D 5e game if I can drum up interest. Two caveats. First, there will be times we bend the rules. This will usually be in service of story. Or trying to resolve a conflict with a single roll. Second, I haven’t decided if I want to run an official module/campaign or homebrew my game. I’ve always run homebrew and never done the module. I have to imagine that I’d, at some point or another, mess with the module to make it my own. But, it still could be fun to try.

Either way, if there’s interest, I’d like some input on what players would like to play.

I’m looking forward to hearing from everyone.

Are you open to new players? I've been interested in trying D&D for a while now, bought the books and watched some streamers playing, but haven't found a group yet. So if you're ok with newbies, count me in!

Are you open to new players? I've been interested in trying D&D for a while now, bought the books and watched some streamers playing, but haven't found a group yet. So if you're ok with newbies, count me in!
Yes. Definitely open to new players.

Great! Would this be done here on the forum or something like Discord? And is there a certain time/day of the week we'd play on? (Maybe that's something to be decided later, I'm just curious.)
Oh yeah. I keep forgetting that I need to be clear about that here. This’ll be a PBP game in a thread here. No specific times. No Discord.

I'm definitely down for some DnD. What level will we be starting at? Any class/race restrictions?

Ah, excellent. JayTee JayTee , I was hoping you'd join up. It'll be nice to play a game again with you.

I was thinking 3rd level start, no class or race restriction, standard point-buy. But if we have newbies, it might be worth starting at 1st to get them acclimated. What are your thoughts?

Heyya Wlf, glad to game with you again as well!

5th level is when the classes really come "online", so to speak, and all their subclass special abilities start activating. That's usually my preferred starting point for a game. In a PbP format you generally have enough time to double check what you can and can't do before posting, so starting a little higher shouldn't hurt much if we get some newcomers.

That said, Point Buy is pretty unfriendly to newcomers just because of how obtuse it is because it relies on so much old legacy code that DnD has developed over the decades. You might want to go with the Standard Array (15, 14, 13, 12,10, 8) if that's a concern for you.

As for Adventure Paths vs Homebrew, I have most of the published Adventure paths and would really like to try them out, so if you're having trouble deciding those get my vote.

Last edited:
Yep. Fine points, all. I totally agree and hadn’t thought of it that way. So, our starting will be:
  • Standard array (15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8)
  • 5th-level
  • No restriction on race or class
And I think we will do one of the adventure paths/modules. At 5th-level, we have a few options. Do you have a preference on any of them, JayTee JayTee ? Or any that you’re not interested in?

If we're going for a long haul, Hoard of the Dragon Queen and it's sequel Rise of Tiamat are good. If we want a more focused adventure, Out of the Abyss or Princes of the Apocalypse are also good options. They all take us from levels 1-15, so the early fights will be pretty easy so any newcomers can sink their teeth in to the system as the challenges escalate.

Yeah I have all those. I’ll glance at them again and consider. We need more players, though. We have two so far. Hahaha.

Same here. Out of the Abyss is a pretty atypical Adventure Path, so it might be interesting. Never really looked too hard at Storm King's Thunder, though.

Are Homebrew Races/Classes/Feats allowed? How we roll for stats? any Special rules we should know about? Whats our level/Stat cap? (do we HAVE one?)

Are Homebrew Races/Classes/Feats allowed? How we roll for stats? any Special rules we should know about? Whats our level/Stat cap? (do we HAVE one?)
Hey there. I'd like to stick to officially published races, classes, and feats. Stats will be the standard array (15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8) and you're starting at 5th level. No special house rules at this time.

I'm in, my only advice is: if you use a published module, make sure to change stuff in a few places to keep those of us who have read them on our toes

I'm interested, if you're okay playing with an ūber noob. I have the basics of 4e down but as for 5e it 8s completey alien to me.

I'm in, my only advice is: if you use a published module, make sure to change stuff in a few places to keep those of us who have read them on our toes
Excellent. Yes, makes sense.

I'm interested, if you're okay playing with an ūber noob. I have the basics of 4e down but as for 5e it 8s completey alien to me.
Yep. Not a problem. We have SilverSuzi SilverSuzi , I think still, who's never played before.

Okay, I think we have enough players, then. Let me start putting this together. I think with newer players, we're going to do Hoard of the Dragon Queen as our adventure. As long as you guys aren't opposed, I'll get working on it right away.

Start making characters. Again, level 5, standard array for stats (15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8), and officially published races and classes. By my count, we have SilverSuzi SilverSuzi , JayTee JayTee , TyranntX TyranntX , Sara Sidereal Sara Sidereal , and Midrick Midrick playing.

Can we have repeats on classes? I kind of was thinking of going with a human ranger

Users who are viewing this thread

Back