• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

D&D 5e Dungeon-Crawler

Cyan_

Hey there!
Please remember to make at least moderately well-written posts and to keep OOC chat inside the Discord. :)<3

Recruitment post: [D&D 5e] [OPEN] A dungeon-crawler!

Inside the dungeon:
jaydude jaydude - Korvan the Human Barbarian Outlander
CaptainCorwin CaptainCorwin - Ra-ul the Wood Elf Rogue
SecondBreaking SecondBreaking - Glim the Lightfoot Halfling Rogue
Seraph Darkfire Seraph Darkfire - Entel the Tiefling Monk

DM.

Korvan and Ra-ul come to consciousness in a small room seemingly empty besides of themselves. Their backs hurt from laying on the stone floor for god knows long, and they can't remember a thing of how they got here. The walls and roof look like they were carved from a dark stone but are pattern-less. A lit torch stuck into an odd crevice on the right wall illuminates the room, allowing the two, especially the human, to see. There are two doors, one on the front wall and another on the left. There is no telling what's behind them.

map.png
Red dot = You're here!

Last edited:
Ra-ul had been in a dungeon before, a prison, designed to make it's purpose quite clear. The odd thing was, despite the lack of memory of the transportation, he not only had his basic provisions, but his armor and bow as well. Not knowing how long it would be til the barbarian woke, and at the same time being loath to wake him. Ra-ul sat for a brief period of meditation. He decided on several things then. First, he would not approach the torch, put it out as his nasty impulse so desired. Second, though he was a Savage, probably the most simple mind, he would use his expert insight to determine if there was any suspect thing about the other man's presentation. Trust did not come easily to him, nor should it as his life experience had taught it him.

DM.

As Ra-ul examines the man, there are not many observation to be drawn, since the man is still in an unconscious state. As the man's chest rises and falls, he looks as peaceful and innocent as any sleeping man would. However, Ra-ul can see that the man is clearly muscular, shown off especially well on his arms since his shirt lacks sleeves.

Nothing in the room has changed.

Korvan slowly opening his eyes was the only sign that he had regained consciousness. Glancing around at the unfamiliar location, he sat himself up and groaned in bewilderment and annoyance, not helped by the fact that he had been lying on his sheathed greatsword for however long he had been out.

With the wood-elf making no attempt to conceal his presence, Korvan soon noticed him. Questions filled the mind of the Barbarian, but he put those aside for the time being and considered his current situation.

Well this isn't a straightforward imprisonment, since any captor with a hint of sense would have taken my weapons away from me while I was unconscious. But then why was I taken here, and for what purpose? And where - and what - is this place?

Last edited:
Time is not the same for elves, both because they require half the rest, and because they have several times the lifespan of humans. Ra-ul was especially conscious of time, having experience it just leak away by a cold hall just like this but with more exact design. Moreover, he was not chained, and the savage had decided to remain cautious just as he, incurring his ire. Ra-ul hated nothing more than being forced to make the first move, the strange place serving as a detterent to action already. Of all the jokes he had ever heard, the other man's ignorance of his role was perhaps the crudest. Though he usually didn't trust himself to say something good; he didn't trust himself saying anything, but he felt like he had to anyway.

He ejaculated bluntly. " Hey, musclehead, don't you start thinking now. Open the door and secure your freedom like the free man you are."

Last edited:
Korvan's tribe had had few dealings with elves in the time he'd been alive, and right now he considered this a good thing. If they were all as rude as this one, wars would have broken out.

"And just who are you, to think that you can command me?" Korvan asked, standing up and narrowing his eyes at the elf.

It's their near immortality. An elf's youth lasts longer than a human's lifespan, so they think they can treat us like children.

DM.

As the tension increases, the torch in the crevice appears to burn brighter, flames flickering like the sparks of fireworks. Of course, this could all just be a matter of perspective or a trick of the mind...

Nothing within the room changes.

Korvan's eyes darted to the torch as it started burning brighter, the barbarian trying to figure out whether it was magic, a trick of the eye, or some other phenomenon.

The human seemed prone to assumption. Ra-ul worked to correct the hasty conclusion.

He began. " Oh, I do not think I am anybody; moreover, who I am does not matter. It's just that from what I see, you are different from me and thus better suited to different tasks. I was merely advising, and though I may have sounded rude I do not care. You will either open the door, or will not. Instinct will tell you which is the right choice. I may live for a while but I do have pride, because after all, who wants the everlasting memory of struggling in such a place."

The other man really was funny. Ra-ul couldn't understand why he wasted energy being angry at another who shared in his captivity.

He also gave a gander at the torch( perception, 10)

Last edited:
DM.

Both Korvan and Ra-ul's eyes are drawn to the flickering torch, but neither of them see anything out of the ordinary. To them, a closer look makes it appear as if the torch flickers the same way it always had when they first noticed its presence. A trick of the eye...

If that was him giving advice, I'd hate to imagine what he sounds like giving orders.

Putting thoughts of beheading wood elves out of his mind, and having noticed nothing out of the ordinary with the torch, Korvan made his way over to the door the elf had indicated, deciding that they might as well start getting out of here.

"Where do you think this place is anyway?" Korvan asked without looking at the elf, before trying to open the door.

Ra-ul was amused by the latest question. He answered. " Are you that is even the right question? As there is no way we were simply carried to this location, magic was likely involved. I think the better question is what is this place." He said as he bore witness to the door opening.

DM.

Korvan opens the door, and the two see a medium-sized hallway ending in a right turn. No torches align the hallway, but, if the pair were to leave the door open, the light from the torch in the previous room dimly lights the way.

The two can see a small rocking chair at the end of the hallway, facing them. The rocking chair is still and does not look to have anybody on it. It is made of a lighter-colored stone...

map2.png
Red dot = You're here!
Brown dot = A door

"Some kind of underground labyrinth. Maybe a palace dungeon, or a dwarven settlement." Korvan replied, his voice reflecting his uncertainty. Leaving the door open, he headed back to the torch in the first room, intending to take it with him to light the way through this place.

DM.

Korvan pulls the torch from the crevice and walks down the hallway, passing the stone rocking chair.

When he comes to the turn, he sees another small room. In the middle of the room is what looks to be a put-out cooking campfire, with a brass pot hanging over it. The pot is covered. Next to the put-out campfire are two chairs, which, while they look to be made of the same material as the rocking chair, are not rocking chairs, and a similarly made table. On the upper-left corner of the room leans a short but wide cabinet, also made of the same material. The cabinet doors are closed. Some of the simpler people would actually consider the room to be quite cozy. You might not have noticed it before, but the style of the rocking chair, when standing close to the other newly-seen furniture, is reminiscent of a certain civilization.

There is nobody to be seen in the room...

map3.png
Red dot = You're here!
Brown dot = A door

Assuming that the wood elf would be following him, Korvan turned his attention to the cooking fire, its presence suggesting that this place wasn't inhabited by sentient life. He examined it closer, trying to deduce when it had gone out, in order to get an idea of when its maker had moved on.

DM.

As Korvan leans down to observe the cooking fire, he finds that he cannot discern how long it had been out for.

DM. ( Glim's perspective )

Glim comes to consciousness in a medium-sized room. The walls and such look as if they had been unceremoniously carved from a dark stone. On the left and right sides of the room are two doors, both wooden and shoddily made. A torch in a sconce on the upper wall lights the room.

The room is empty besides Glim.

map01.png
Red dot = You're here!
Brown dot = A door

Glim would leap gracefully to his feet with a wide grin immediately plastered to his face.

"Wow, I wonder what happened? Uncle Flick would probably know what to do here, maybe I should talk to him!"

After taking a look around the room, he seems to finally realize he is alone in the dark, torch-lit room. Any rational caution or fear would immediately be expelled from his mind at the thought of a new experience, a new adventure. Glim would skip over to the door on the right and check to see if the handle was locked. (If unlocked, he would open the door.)

GM. ( Glim's perspective )

Glim opens the door with ease. He walks into a similarly-sized room, with a torch in a sconce on the upper wall. This time, however, there is a stone door on the upper-right wall as well as a wooden door on the bottom-right, and, of course, the door to the room he just walked out of.

He hears a very odd but quiet plop plop plop -ing sound coming from past the lower door. It doesn't sound exactly like water dripping, but it is so distinct that there's nothing else to compare it to.

map02.png
Red dot = You're here!
Brown dot = A door

Glim, naturally being curious (probably more than he should be), approaches the lower door. This time he takes a more stealthy approach, moving silently to the door. He would check the wooden door for cracks or holes that he could peek through. (If he finds any holes or cracks in the wood, he would peer through the door to try to identify what might be making that strange sound.)

DM. (Glim's perspective)

As Glim inspects the door - checking for any holes, cracks, even going down on his belly to try to look underneath - he finds that the door is actually very securely built, especially in comparison to the door he came out of, and has no such weakness within it that would allow him to glimpse through.

Ra-ul, feeling like he could use a rest, decides to sit on the rocking chair. But only after he dealt with the cabinet. With the quickness of deft hands, he opened wide the cabinet doors. The elf took initiative this time, no talking beforehand, as he did not trust the man beside him. As a trained thief, he had dedicated partners in crime who knew his their time to talk and act, as if they their souls did rhyme. He wished a reprieve from this farce.

Unable to discern anything from the fire, Korvan turned back towards the elf, who had followed him into the room and was now searching through the cabinet in the room.

"Anything useful in there?" He asked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back