• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

D&D 5e: Dark Ages of Taeral (Closed)

WlfSamurai

Maelstrom Engineer
Teaser for first post:
Some say these are dark days. Some say the Gods have turned their backs on the folk of Taeral and all the lands and seas that stretch under her sky. There’s talk of war in the eastern Kingdom of Londolor. The Orcs have been driven mad, they say, and throw themselves blindly into battle. Still others speak of the fall of Ilothel. Its Wizards, both teacher and student, haven’t been heard from in months. A stillness has fallen on the tower and its windows are dark. The town is all but abandoned.

Many and more similar stories are told by loose tongues. Many and more have the stink of truth to them.

Tonight is no exception. You all sit around the evening fire having spent the day on the trail with Grath’s caravan. The plan was to head east from the port of Windhaven to the trade city of Lochcrest in Glorewyth Kingdom. But, there have been many setbacks along the way. Tonight, the plan is to relax with hardtack, a cup of sour ale Grath has kindly offered from his personal stock, the warmth of the fire, and maybe a story or two.

Game Info:
I’m looking for 4-6 players to DM D&D 5e for. The plan is to make this a long campaign to enjoy adventures and flesh out my own home-brew setting. The game will:
  • Be character driven and in some ways collaborative. We will discover the story together and there will be times you can add to the world. Your characters are the focus of this game. That also means you must be willing to drive the story forward.
  • Sometimes use non-standard rules to resolve situations or conflicts.
  • Hopefully last long enough to get into higher levels and grow the group as legends in Taeral.
  • Incorporate fantastical combat, social challenges, and narrative.
Making Characters:
  • Make a 3rd-level character.
  • Choose either the standard array or standard point buy. You may drop ONE or TWO attributes down to 6 or 7 to gain points for point-buy at a 1:1 ratio, but you will be expected RP the weakness if it comes up.
  • Choose any race/class out of the PHB or official published 5e material.
  • Take level 1 starting equipment/gold and add 100 gp to buy gear.
  • Provide a backstory at least a paragraph long. Please incorporate any chosen Background. 200 XP for backgrounds that include unresolved drama, juicy story, or add to the world.
  • Be willing to leave gaps to allow relationships with PCs and NPCs or backstory.
Let me know if you're interested!

Tagging: skycaptain skycaptain

Last edited:
I might be able to be persuaded to put another game under my belt. I am a bit of a novice when it comes to DnD, but I am learning (thanks to my friend's tabletop game that I'm in). Perhaps something simple to jump in with; a Dragonborn Fighter. How does that sound for you?

I might be able to be persuaded to put another game under my belt. I am a bit of a novice when it comes to DnD, but I am learning (thanks to my friend's tabletop game that I'm in). Perhaps something simple to jump in with; a Dragonborn Fighter. How does that sound for you?
Oh yeah! I’d love to have you play. Dragonborn fighter sounds great.

I have the Hero Lab software, so I'm toying with the character using the point buy for my stats. It helps me to not miss stuff.

How do you want us to handle hit points for levels 2 and 3? Do we roll for them, take max hit points, or take the average?

Also, is this a city-based game, or more wilderness? I'm wondering about buying a horse to help carry my gear.

Last edited:
I think I tried the system twice, and never got to see much more than the character creation before the rps died. Might be worth to review the rules for this one, though... I'll see if I can come up with something interesting if you want me in another game of yours. I tend to go for magic-wielders of some sort (wizard/sorcerer/warlock/whatever), so I'd probably be happy to let Sherwood take the hits.

As for the race: I'd be inclined to pick up one of the outsider races - drow and tiefling stick out at first glance. Just for the record: I'd choose either of them for multiple reasons - alignment is certainly not one of them. Expect a good and/or lawful alignment, that's just what I'm comfortable with.

Been craving some D&D for a bit now, though I have a few limitations due to the fact I live with other people and potential scheduling matters. As such, I want to ask:

*Where would we roleplay this? Through forums or through a platform?

*In case it is not forum-based, will the RP be text-based or voice-based?

*Will the roleplay be based on sessions (players gather at a particular time frame to roleplay continuously during that time), on posting order (players can come at any time, but only post in a particular order) or free post-basis (people just make posts when they can as normal, with no specific post order)?

I had a feeling I had more questions, but I'm blanking out so I'll leave it at that for now. Depending on the answers, I may be interested, and if I am I'm probably playing a warlock. May also go for sorcerer or druid, but warlock is probably going to be my first pick.

How do you want us to handle hit points for levels 2 and 3? Do we roll for them, take max hit points, or take the average?
For hit-points after 1st level, you get to choose to roll a hit-die and at your Constitution modifier or take the average they included in your class in the book.

Also, is this a city-based game, or more wilderness? I'm wondering about buying a horse to help carry my gear.
There will be both. Horses are pretty common, though. So, even in the cities, you’ll have places to at stable them or tie them up. Huge metropolises might require your horse is stabled outside the city walls.

I think I tried the system twice, and never got to see much more than the character creation before the rps died. Might be worth to review the rules for this one, though... I'll see if I can come up with something interesting if you want me in another game of yours. I tend to go for magic-wielders of some sort (wizard/sorcerer/warlock/whatever), so I'd probably be happy to let Sherwood take the hits.

As for the race: I'd be inclined to pick up one of the outsider races - drow and tiefling stick out at first glance. Just for the record: I'd choose either of them for multiple reasons - alignment is certainly not one of them. Expect a good and/or lawful alignment, that's just what I'm comfortable with.
Oh yes please. Would love to have you.

That all sounds great! Drow are not automatically evil in this world. They’re just more prone to it. Each pocket of drow civilization usually sways one particular way.

Been craving some D&D for a bit now, though I have a few limitations due to the fact I live with other people and potential scheduling matters. As such, I want to ask:

*Where would we roleplay this? Through forums or through a platform?

*In case it is not forum-based, will the RP be text-based or voice-based?

*Will the roleplay be based on sessions (players gather at a particular time frame to roleplay continuously during that time), on posting order (players can come at any time, but only post in a particular order) or free post-basis (people just make posts when they can as normal, with no specific post order)?

I had a feeling I had more questions, but I'm blanking out so I'll leave it at that for now. Depending on the answers, I may be interested, and if I am I'm probably playing a warlock. May also go for sorcerer or druid, but warlock is probably going to be my first pick.
Awesome! I’m in the same boat on the craving front.

Yes, it will take place as a forum on this site. Majority of posts will be free posting. Come and go as you please, and such. My favorite part about PBP. Though, please don’t go large swaths of days without posting. But, we have kids so I buy into the “post when you can” bit.

There will be times we roll initiative and do the standard combat thing. I try to group player turns as much as possible, but it still ends up you might have to post in an order during that time. But, don’t sweat it, there won’t be a huge rush.

Really looking forward to seeing your character.

If you think of other questions, just ask! And I look foward to seeing what you come up with for character.

Awesome! I’m in the same boat on the craving front.

Yes, it will take place as a forum on this site. Majority of posts will be free posting. Come and go as you please, and such. My favorite part about PBP. Though, please don’t go large swaths of days without posting. But, we have kids so I buy into the “post when you can” bit.

There will be times we roll initiative and do the standard combat thing. I try to group player turns as much as possible, but it still ends up you might have to post in an order during that time. But, don’t sweat it, there won’t be a huge rush.

Ah, sure. During fights I really get there being a posting order. Was mostly asking about non-combat scenarios :P

I'll post with the frequency that I can, won't be able to promise more than weekly or biweekly posts. This doesn't mean I won't do posts faster than that, but that I can't absolutely guarantee more than that.

As for the character, and seeing how I am then most definitely interested, I'll be PMing you a couple of ideas I have XD

I think so! Let me read it over again. I honestly have not encountered multi-classing in 5e. Only in 3/3.5e.

Let me get back to you today.
Sure! I really like the possibilites multiclassing opens up, hence my question. Though of course, it's your decision as GM :)

Dude, 5e multi-classing is awesome. Gosh I love 5e. He’ll yeah to multi-classing.

I would like to restrict it to having a narrative component, though. So not just, “Ding! I’m a rogue now!” as an example. Maybe in that case you’re playing with thieves tools on the side. Or One-Finger Jimmy is showing you pick-pocketing, or something.

I'm going to try to keep things simple for me by just being a fighter. I briefly considered going with another fighter class, such as Barbarian or Ranger, even thought on Paladin, but those just didn't feel right for me.

I'm going to try to keep things simple for me by just being a fighter. I briefly considered going with another fighter class, such as Barbarian or Ranger, even thought on Paladin, but those just didn't feel right for me.
Fighter is my favorite. Shhh! Don’t tell anyone.

Gotta say, I like the options for fighters - the Eldritch Knight actually seems like something I'd want to try at some point. No idea what I'm going with yet - just looked through the options, there's quite some good stuff in there. Monk, ranger, a tempest cleric, or maybe a sorcerer instead... might take a while to decide on something :)

I've ended up deciding I won't be going with warlock after all, except through later multiclassing. Trying to make up my mind between wizard and sorcerer

Gotta say, I like the options for fighters - the Eldritch Knight actually seems like something I'd want to try at some point. No idea what I'm going with yet - just looked through the options, there's quite some good stuff in there. Monk, ranger, a tempest cleric, or maybe a sorcerer instead... might take a while to decide on something :)
Take your time. I want at least one more player to start this. So many good options. The best part about 5e is that even the spell casters can hold their own at low levels. It's so well done.

I can give Psychie a nudge if you are looking for some more players.

Idea Idea was asking about dropping attributes down. So, I've decided to change the chargen. Everyone take note:

• Choose either the standard array or standard point buy. You may drop ONE or TWO attributes down to 6 or 7 to gain points for point-buy at a 1:1 ratio, but you will be expected RP the weakness if it comes up.

Please be prepared to RP your weaknesses if you so chose to go that route.

Tagging so peeps see it: Sherwood Sherwood Silanon Silanon

:csmile:

Uh, sure. 200 XP for a background that includes some juicy bits that I can use. Doesn't have to be long. I'll add it to the list above.
As like a cost or...

I'll just clarify I wasn't asking for like a reward for writing a good background, that'd be silly. I was asking if we were going to use the background features rule from the player handbook (page 118 if I'm not mistaken) or not.

I adjusted some stats, but not to a negative level. My Dragonborn will be awesome once I get my background done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back