• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

D&D 5e City of Shaldra~Zin

Interested?

• Total voters

Grimsvald

Elder Member
I am looking to start a D&D 5e campaign with high fantasy and high grit. No unpublished races or classes and no Unearthed Arcana.

Grit: No HP regained at a short rest and only 1 class based hit die regained during a long rest. Healing spells and healing potions will work normally. Suffering a critical hit will result in a lingering wound or damaging of gear. Being knocked unconscious result in a minor wound or crippling feature that cannot be healed. Counter to this, damage will be described less dramatically. Only critical hits will be seen as attacks that make it past armor.

Determination: All of my NPCs have an alternative life bar called their determination. This can be lowered with charisma checks such as intimidation, persuade or charm spells. Some enemies will be resistant to these forms of damage such as a barbarian that cannot be intimidated or a narrow minded army captain that refused to be persuaded. This will give you all plenty of situations where you can resolve issues non violently.

XP: Experience points will be gifted in a check point system so no one will feel forced to kill in order to progress.

High Fantasy: Magic is common place so seeing it in use will not be a shock to anyone. It is as common as technology is to us in our world so a lot of people will see it as a necessary part of every day life. It will also be very common for you to acquire magical items and eventually build a wardrobe that lessens the impact of the Grit rules.

Roles: When you complete a task that requires a roll simply put it within brackets of some kind beside the sentence describing the actions taken. (Str. Check 15+3) or (Attack Roll 8+5)

Stats: Standard array or point buy. Nothing below 8 or above 15 before racial bonuses are applied. We will begin at level 1. I will require you to chose a background and roll for a trinket.

I am looking for 2-4 players to start quickly. There will be plenty of chances to add characters in later. Let me know if you have any questions. Otherwise, post a character sheet and lets get this game rolling.

Hey there! I'd like to play a Half-Orc Rogue. I'll send you a sheet once I finish it. Working on it now.

CADE

Class: Rogue
Race: Half-Orc
Experience Points: 0 / 300

Hit Points: 7 / 7
Armor Class: 13
Passive Perception: 16
Speed: 30 ft.

Initiative: +2
Proficiency Bonus: +2

Languages: Common, Orc, Thieves' Cant,
Goblin

Armor Proficiencies: Light Armor
Weapon Proficiencies: Simple weapons,
Hand crossbows, Longswords, Rapiers,
Shortswords
Tool Proficiencies: Thieves' Tools, Drums
STR: 12
DEX: 15

CON: 9
INT: 14

WIS: 15

CHA: 8
Athletics: +3
Acrobatics: +2
Stealth: +6
Sleight of Hand: +2

Arcana: +2
Nature: +2
History: +2
Religion: +2
Investigation: +4
Animal Handling: +2
Medicine: +2
Insight: +4
Perception: 6
Survival: +4
Deception: -1
Performance: -1
Intimidation: +1
Persuasion: -1
Equipment: Rapier, Shortbow, 20-arrow quiver,
Backpack, Messkit, Tinderbox, 10 torches, 10 days of
rations, Waterskin(full), 50 ft. of hempen rope, Leather
armor, 2 daggers, Thieves' tools, Hunting trap, Tattoos,
Traveler's clothes, Vest with one hundred tiny pockets
[36]

GP: 10

Racial Traits: Darkvision, Menacing, Relentless
Endurance, Savage Attacks

Background Feature: Tribe Heritage (Tribe Member)

Class Features: Expertise, Sneak Attack, Thieves' Cant

Last edited:
DoomyGloom DoomyGloom just go by the definition set in the rule book. Some people may pay your character respect relictently, but they will show it non the less. A royal figure heads they are some times accustomed to keeping their calm and being two faced for the sake of being proper.

There wont be any royalty in the city of shaldraZin other than knights and the mayor. The closest big city with actual regal families is a city called Gorn, its to the west. I you want your character to be from the east you can make up any details about your home that youd like.

DoomyGloom DoomyGloom

To the west is a roman/aztec influenced matropolis called Gorn. Then friged mountains with small towns.

To the east of Shaldra-Zin are farm lands for miles. Then tribe lands that are a mix between keltic/african and astralian influence. Further away you will find some small villages and eventually port cities on the contanental coast.

Hope that answered your question without giving too much info away. Let me know if you have any more specific questions that I didnt answer.

Ohhh interesting.

Where will this be hold? In RPNation? Discord? Another site? My timezone is UTC+7, so I can't join if realtime posting is required.

DoomyGloom DoomyGloom its good to keep the conversation public in case we answer a question on someone elses mind.

In the city of Gorn there are publicly appointed council members, marquis, dukes and the like. This is the capital city and home to the king.

In the east there are clan elders and jarls among the tribes. Mayors in the villages with outlaying lords.

Then in the port city there is a council of merchants and traders. There is also a counter culter council of pirates. These two groups work together to run this city.

C Cyan_ while we figure out the details of Umbers background, would you like to decide what brings Cade to the City of Shaldra-Zin and where in the city they would start out? Are they from this city or have they been here for an extended period of time already?

Grimsvald Grimsvald Cade probably moved away from the tribal life somewhere in their becoming-an-adult-hood, longing for the city and a more civilized lifestyle. Nearest by place was Shaldra-Zin, and so that's where they went. So they'd have been here for a few years now. Where would you suggest they'd start? Whatever's most fitting to your starting plot hook would probably work fine.

C Cyan_ my plot hook should work for any place in or around the city. Thats why I like to ask and give options.

The city is a circle separated into 4 major parts and surrounded by a large guard wall.
South East- TheSlums.
South West - Suburbs and middle class.
North East - Rich side of town and education.
North West - Shops and open market.
At the North is a latge temple to Illmater attached to the guard wall
At the south is the central camand for the guard built into the wall.
Surrounding the town all the way around are farm lands owned by lords and cared for by surfs.

If you come from a tribal background the slums or farm lands may better fit your character.

C Cyan_ ok! Some good things to know about the slums of Shaldra~Zin are the drug problem and the hang outs.

Bura bhediya or Lobo mal or the big bad wolf- This is an upper drug.

Neela Bhaaloo or Triste Oso or The sad bear - Is a downer.

These are both a problem in their own way and originate in the slums. You’ll never find someone distributing both, the wolfs and bears are at war.

Popular hang outs in the slums are;
Shadynasty’s Dive- a bar were all the rogues and children hang out. Children are regarded as off limits to all so they commonly serve as mules, middlemen or third party referees on deals.

The Grand Plaza - A poor motel with a large court yard in front that people like to hang out in.

Triffle Truffles- a little place to eat were a few people pulled their backyard Bbq’s together one day and everually started charging for it.

If there is anything else you are looking for let me know and I will add it in or tell you where.

DoomyGloom DoomyGloom any title other than king and queen works well for me. Especially since you are distancing yourself from them. Earl, count and marquis sounds good but thats just because they have a nice ring to them.

Also the temple will be a good place to start off. Did you post a character sheet yet?

DoomyGloom DoomyGloom no problem! Just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing something. Two people is enough to start so I will begin the IC thread some time tonight! Hope everyone is ready to play. If either of you have any questions on anything just let me know!

Ok, I posted the IC thread. I haven't proof read it or added any art/map for the opening post, but give it a read and make sure you are both still interested in the story.
IC Shaldra~Zin D&D5e

DoomyGloom DoomyGloom What did we miss?

Did you both get random trinkets from the core book roll table? You can also use the alternative roll table from Curse of Straud if you want something darker.

And be sure you have starting gold rolled up and added to your starting background gold. You will want it later.

Brazensong
Class: Bard
Race: Half-Orc
Experience Points: 0 / 300

Hit Points: 10 / 10
Armor Class: 12
Passive Perception: 10
Speed: 30 ft.

Initiative: +2
Proficiency Bonus: +2

Languages: Common, Orc

Armor Proficiencies: Light Armor
Weapon Proficiencies: Simple weapons, hand crossbows, longswords, rapiers, shortswords
Tool Proficiencies: Drum, Viola, and Pan Flute
Saving Throw Proficiencies: Strength(+3), Dexterity(+2 + +1=+3), Constitution(+3), Intelligence(+0), Wisdom(+0) Charisma(+2 + +3 =+5)

STR: 12 (Plus Race Bonus = 14)(Mod.:+2)
DEX: 13(Mod:+1)
CON: 14 (Plus Race Bonus = 15)(Mod.:+2)
INT: 11(Mod.:+0)
WIS: 11(Mod.:+0)
CHA: 13(Mod.:+1)

Athletics: +2
Acrobatics: +3
Stealth: +1
Sleight of Hand: +1
Arcana: +0
Nature: +0
History: +0
Religion: +0
Investigation: +0
Animal Handling: +0
Medicine: +0
Insight: +0
Perception: +0
Survival: +0
Deception: +1
Performance: +3
Intimidation: +3
Persuasion: +3

Equipment:
- A longsword
-A viola
-Leather Armor
-A dagger
-A whip
-Entertainer's Pack: Includes a backpack, a bedroll, 2 costumes, 5 candles, 5 days of rations, a waterskin, and a disguise kit.
-Trinket: A 1-inch cube, each side painted a different color.

GP: 17

Racial Traits: Darkvision, Menacing, Relentless
Endurance, Savage Attacks

Background: Entertainer

Background Feature: By Popular Demand - You can always find a place to perform, usually in an inn or tavern but possibly with a circus, at a theater, or even in a noble’s court. At such a place, you receive free lodging and food of a modest or comfortable standard (depending on the quality of the establishment), as long as you perform each night. In addition, your performance makes you something of a local figure. When strangers recognize you in a town where you have performed, they typically take a liking to you.

Class Features: Spellcasting, Bardic Inspiration

Spell Casting
Spell Save DC = 13 (8 + 2 + 3)
Spell Attack Modifier = +3
Cantrips Known: 2 (Mage Hand, and Mending)
Spells Known: 4
-Cure Wounds
-Healing Word
-Unseen Servant
-Dissonant Whispers

I'm very interested in joining you three, please let me know if my character is allowed or if I forgot anything. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back