• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

D&D 5e, an interest check.

Yourdarkpriest

Herald Of The Dark
Salutations my eager compatriots!

I'll cut to the chase, I'm a DM with around 5 years experience who until recently had games near daily. I'm a heavy improv DM, but also able to craft long running campaigns.

I wanted to know how many people might be willing to go on an adventure with me, and what your preferred play styles are.
We'd build the core of the game from your wants and needs, and I'll wrap it up with a pretty bow for everyone to dig into.

Would love the opportunity to join you on an adventure. I know 5e fairly well. Might make a mistake here or there but over all I'm well versed enough to help out any newbies as well.

For play styles, I've always been the storyteller type of player. I have been guilty of putting maybe a little too much thought into my characters and what they would do in a situation. I enjoy the watching the personal arcs of each party member, how actions effect the story and characters and the over-arching story the characters get sucked into. Combat, exploration and (obviously from being on this site) roleplaying are aspects of D&D I enjoy. To me, it doesn't matter whether the characters are part of a guild, stuck in a city, or a bunch of misfits traveling the world together.

For settings, I am rather open to what other players would like to play. I have enjoyed both high and low fantasy. Dark fantasy might be my favorite but I have enjoyed a fair amount of goofy, non-serious games as well! Hell, I think the only type of game I have not dabbled in is an evil campaign. Long story short, I am flexible to the party's wants and needs.

So if you get enough interest, which I am pretty sure will not be an issue for you, I would love to go on an adventure with everyone.

I'm definitely a fan of D&D 5e, though my current circumstances prevent me from engaging in anything not play-by-post (specifically I live with other people so I can't VC, and my college schedule doesn't allow me big periods to use on sessions).

I am generally more for a light-hearted approach, but I can definitely do dark too. Only thing I would ask for is the aforementioned play-by-post, and some breathing room regarding post pace. I am generally more of a detailed RPer and like to take my time crafting my posts, whereas in a fast-paced roleplay I can quickly fall behind.

As for D&D-specific preferences I am often a fan of crafting characters around their flavor first and foremost, so I generally come up with some character idea I really love and build a character around that. My most used classes are wild magic sorcerers and warlocks. Oh, I really like to have this rule with point distribution of being allowed to go under 8 (and of course, use the points for that elsewhere). I generally prefer to give my characters more defined, heavy weaknesses and strengths, as opposed to the mild way the official forms of point distribution allow.

Like the person above me I am flexible in terms of what kind of campaign we play. I would of course prefer the traditional type D&D (fantasy) but whatever sort of that falls into- rescue, exploration, running a business, I'm all for it.

In terms of experience, I've played in some groups before, and I think I have a decent handle on the rules, though I often like to ask things just to confirm as I'm not super confident in my memory.

Let me know if you have any questions about my style, and I hope what I would prefer is manageable. If it clashes with what the rest of the group wants though, I don't mind stepping out, and no hard feelings on my part. Otherwise, I would absolutely love to join!

Oh my gosh an open dice interest check!

I'm a newb, I've played 3.5e all of once, and that was like, seven years ago. I'd love to join if you're doing a post by post campaign. A dungeon romp sounds wonderful, not all campaigns need to be long.

Oh my gosh an open dice interest check!

I'm a newb, I've played 3.5e all of once, and that was like, seven years ago. I'd love to join if you're doing a post by post campaign. A dungeon romp sounds wonderful, not all campaigns need to be long.
Oh, could this be the chance to play with the great Welian?

*drumroll*

Uh hello! I have never used the dice system here or anything but I have play dungeons and dragons 5e before! I even have some books! But like I haven't played very often and obvious it is different here. And I am super new so I completely understand if I should not join this session. I am just interested for sure.

Per personal invite of the DM prepare to be amazed! She is hot! She is witty! Please give your great applause for RP Veteran Luna! *roaring crowd, ladies fainting, men wetting themselves* "Thank you, thank you! I know, I AM great aren't I?" lol you know I'm in.

Perfect.
From the looks of things I might require your aid. Feel free to answer basic questions, and help out at your convenience.

This will be Post by Post, no worries. I understand time restraints all to well.
As for going under 8 in point buy, be my guest. My only rules of thumb would be no breaking 20, and keep in mind what lower than 8 can mean. INT must be at least a 6.

As above, so below. Play by post is go.
That said, don't be to afraid of the rules. I like to run dice lite out of combat. 5e is all about simplicity and ease of play. I ain't gonna ruin that if at all possible. Just ask when your unsure, if its mechanical I'll answer in a jiffy, if its something else I'll wing it with ya.
I will warn you, dungeons are not my specialty, but long campaigns are.

If you've played traditional 5e games then it shouldn't be to different. We'll just be playing by post instead of face to face. Long as you can give me a nice paragraph per post when required, I think we'll be golden. As for the dice on RpNation, you and me both. I'll playing around with them shortly for sanity sake.

~

Okay, this got more attention a lot fast than expected. ^_^

I'll probably end up limiting the number of players in campaign to around 5, maybe 6. You all chimed in first, so your good unless you drop out.

Otherwise, we seem to have a base agreeance of good old traditional Fantasy, perhaps with Dark, and Comical trappings. I'll provide the occasional Dark with the world and events, and I'll let you all devolve into comical nuts. Honestly, I don't think I've ever had a campaign where there isn't comedy. Hell, I've had a damn good traumatizing Horror event that turned into a running joke. Luna, I'm calling you out.

All thats left is fine tuning the setting a bit.

I'm feeling low to mid fantasy, and we'll use point buy to speed things up. Any feelings on level start? We have at least one person unfamiliar with this system, so I feel starting at level 1 to 2 wouldn't be a unusual request.

I'll make an OOC once we have a little more to run on, as not to muck it up to much.

I propose we start at levels 3-5, as while indeed there is a new person, I don't think there is too much for content for such a person to take in, and those levels are when things really start to get interesting for a lot of classes and even class combinations. So even in terms of a new player experience, I think it'd still work out in a way that is more interesting to them as well, without too massive of a learning curve increase.

My only rules of thumb would be no breaking 20, and keep in mind what lower than 8 can mean. INT must be at least a 6.
Could you clarify what you mean by "no breaking 20"? I'm pretty sure I know what it is, but I just wanna make sure.

I'm feeling low to mid fantasy, and we'll use point buy to speed things up. Any feelings on level start? We have at least one person unfamiliar with this system, so I feel starting at level 1 to 2 wouldn't be a unusual request.
For those with unfamiliarity with the dice system starting at 1 might be best. Most people assume a level one start anyways. However, anything 1 - 3 would be a good starting point.

I propose we start at levels 3-5, as while indeed there is a new person, I don't think there is too much for content for such a person to take in, and those levels are when things really start to get interesting for a lot of classes and even class combinations. So even in terms of a new player experience, I think it'd still work out in a way that is more interesting to them as well, without too massive of a learning curve increase.

Could you clarify what you mean by "no breaking 20"? I'm pretty sure I know what it is, but I just wanna make sure.

I feel this. We'll settle for level 3. All the fun stuff, but not much to overwhelm.

No starting with a stat over 20. RAW 20 is suppose to be the normal cap, but I also don't always care about that. For the sake of ease of group play, I think I'll be sticking with the rules this time. That said, if everyone agrees I'll remove stat caps all together. I've learned to balance for it.

3 it is then!

No starting with a stat over 20. RAW 20 is suppose to be the normal cap, but I also don't always care about that. For the sake of ease of group play, I think I'll be sticking with the rules this time. That said, if everyone agrees I'll remove stat caps all together. I've learned to balance for it.

I don't think capping at 20 would be horrible. Gives magic items that boost score some benefits. I do like the idea of uncapping the point buys cap of 8 and 15 however.

I may be a little slower than everyone with character stuff but I will work hard! I am already pulling out all my books haha <3
If you ever need help with character stuff I am always willing to help out! Helped a lot of my friends make builds based off of what they wanted to play before. Don't need to do the most optimized thing is my motto.

I don't think capping at 20 would be horrible. Gives magic items that boost score some benefits. I do like the idea of uncapping the point buys cap of 8 and 15 however.

I honestly forgot to add that in. Thank you.

Feel free to go lower than 8, and higher than 15.
Stat ups 16+ cost 3 instead of 2 though.

6 is minimum for INT, lower than that and your somewhat braindead, or no longer fully sentient.
For everything else, well, we'll talk as needed.

~

Also, all official books are open.
Unearthed Arcana is semi-open, ask for permission to make sure I'm looking at what your looking at.
Homebrew is open, but must have a web page that I can visit. If I deem it balanced and not lore breaking, your golden.

Also, if someone is looking into a Paladin, Cleric, or Warlock let me know now so I can come up with deities.
If anyone whats a special pantheon or deity let me know. I'll run w/e if you guys agree on, if no one cares I'll toss my personal patheon in.

I was thinking of playing a warlock. One of the few classes I never got a chance to play yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back