• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Cursed Island

Giant spiders were rare in the far north, but Adran heard stories, and for the size of the room, there was no way that the spider in question would just come down in front of them. Spiders were ambush predators, not active hunters. The only position in this room that he could not see, was right behind him, his blind spot. He whirled around, arrow drawn and glowing green. Following his master's lead, Beri turned as well, and assumed a stance.
-------
Joanne wasted no time, putting her glowing sword between Shuffle's eyes and the lantern and demanding to know what the figure wanted.

There before them, halfway up the wall, was the spider in question. Though it was only partly a spider. It had the legs and abdomen and all, but where the usual eyes and mouth would be, instead was the upper torso of a woman. Her eyes were bright red in contrast to her long, pure white hair, and she had a mysterious, alluring beauty to her. She wore only some silk wrapped around her chest. She didn't flinch when Adran aimed at her, simply moving a hand to her own cheek. "My, but aren't you polite. You burn your way into my room and then aim a weapon at me."

----------

The shadow quickly moved away as Joanne approached. Shuffle tried to keep watching the lantern, but Emil came up behind and covered her eyes, getting a whine from her. The shadow remained silent, simply holding out the lantern as it moved away slowly, trying to draw more attention to the light than the one holding it.

Adran's arrow stopped glowing as he relaxed his arms. Two options, here: Shoot, or do what he did to get Asmodei's attention and flirt his way out of this situation. Beri looked around blindly, relying on his sense of smell to tell him where everyone was, but unable to see the spider woman.

"Sorry about that, miss," Adran said, turning on the charm, "If I'd known this room was occupied, I'd have knocked." He winked as he said that.
--------
"Get Shuffle back to the entrance,", Joanne said to Emil, "I will handle this." She turned to face the shadow figure, squinting against the light. It was tempting to stare into the lantern, but Joanne was not a paladin just because she followed a god. A strong will was necessary to serve, and Joanne had a strong will. "You can speak, or taste my steel," she ordered as she started towards the shadow.

The arachne smiled. “I see. Perhaps we got off on the wrong foot then.”

—————

Emil nodded and started pulling Shuffle back as best he could, which was not very well.

The shadow seemed disinclined to actually fight. Seeing that Joanne resisted the light, the shadow turned and vanished, the light fading with it.

"That appears to be the case," Adran nodded in agreement. "Then we should restart on the right foot. My name is Adran, this is my companion, Beri." He gestured to the leopard. "Don't mind him, he got hit by lightning a bit ago, he's been in a foul mood ever since."
------------
Joanne scowled as the shadow decided to leave, before turning to follow Emil and Shuffle. "Shuffle," she asked the critter, "What was that?"

"Lightning? ...ah, you met the chimera. Foul thing. You may call me Erina. So, what brings you here to my home?"

----------

Shuffle whined again. "I can't see... Let go."

Emil removed his hands. "Sorry."

Shuffle shook her head before looking around. "It's all dark again. Where'd the pretty light go?"

"I'm looking for passage," was Adran's reply, "What drives a lady like yourself to hide in such an out-of-the-way area like this?"
--------
"You will be alright," Joanne said, squatting in front of Shuffle. "Did it hurt you? Have you consumed anything?" She was looking for any signs of corruption or changes in Shuffle's anatomy, but also to make sure the creature was alright. "You gave us quite a shock, you realize."

"I get a decent enough amount of traffic for this to be 'out-of-the-way.' Mostly goblins and putrid hounds, but I've had a few adventurers come in as well. I much prefer them."

----------

Shuffle nodded. "I'm fine. I saw a light and thought it would be useful. It was really pretty, too.... Mm, then my eyes were covered and you guys were here."

"By out-of-the-way, I was simply referring to how difficult it is to find this area." Adran put his weapons away and clicked his tongue for Beri to do the same. The leopard growled at him but obeyed as his master relaxed a bit. "It would be easier to converse if we were on the same level, miss Erina."
---------
Joanne frowned at that. "You were charmed by a specter. It seemed disinclined to explain itself, you do not need to worry," she stood up and offered Shuffle her hand. "Come, the others are waiting."

"Indeed it would." Erina crawled down the wall slowly. As calm as she was, she remained cautious of Adran and Beri. "You said you seek passage. What do you expect to find beyond here?"

----------

Shuffle looked at her hand before taking it. "Waiting? Where?"

Adran smiled and nodded, "My party and I are attempting to navigate these ruins. This passageway is the only route we have not explored so far.'
-----------
"At the hole you fell into," Joanne replied as they got to the waterway and started working their way across. "It is only a matter of time before Jerry and Fia kill each other, we had to leave them alone."
-----------
Meanwhile, at the edge of the whole...
Jerry, having run out of map, started pacing.

Erina frowned. "Ah, so you have more companions then?"

----------

Shuffle glanced around as she and Emil followed. "Then where are Adran and Beri?"

----------

Fia was laying on her back with her wings splayed out. ".........I'm bored."

"We would not have survived the chimera without them. The beast is not dead, but it is no longer a danger."
----------
"Adran took his cat ahead to find the way out."
----------
Jerry looked at the harpy and shook her head. "You're a bird, right? Here's a shiny," she flicked a gold coin at the harpy.

Reina raised an eyebrow. “Is that so? You’ll forgive me if I find that hard to believe.”

—————

“Oh, okay.”

Emil spoke up. “Here’s hoping they didn’t just find more trouble.”

—————

Fia looked over before raising a leg to catch the coin in her talons. She sat up and looked at it, smiling for a moment before she frowned. “Aw, I left my nest behind...”

"It's true," Adran replied with a shrug, "The party rogue has a way with the beast." He lost the ability to keep a straight face at that statement, a giggle sneaking through.
----------
"Knowing the fools, they almost certainly have," Joanne replied as they got back to the fork. Joanne looked down the other passage curiously. "Emil, what do you think is down there?"
----------
"How do you think you could have carried it all the way here?", Jerry asked the harpy pointedly.

Reina tilted her head. “I see. Well, just don’t bring it through here. It’s liable to ruin all of my work.”

—————

Emil looked to the other path. “I’m unsure. Ideally, it’s a long way around to where we left Jerry and Fia, since getting everyone down the hole is a bit problematic.”

—————

“Yeah, I know. I just always feel a little sad when I move on after making a nest somewhere. It’s nice to have a place to toss my collection.”

"Oh, I doubt he could even fit through the door on his own," Adran replied dismissively, waving it off. "I'm just here to find the next door, if you don't mind."
--------
Joanne thought about that. "Well, it will take a group effort for me to climb back out. You can take Shuffle back to the group, I can go down the passage and find out."
--------
Jerry shook her head and kept pacing. "I swear, these idiots have been missing for hours." After some more pacing. "I'm gonna go make the lion hasn't died on me," she said, starting towards the glowing line on the stairs and grumbling about how as rare as potions are down here, it better still be alive.

“Mm, well, the only other is on the other side of my web. Most adventurers believe they can just slip through to it, and they realize they can’t once they’re stuck.”

—————

Emil shook his head. “As little help as I am to you, it would not do to leave you to wander this place alone.”

—————

Fia looked over at her before getting up to follow. “Wait, I’m not supposed to leave you alone.” In getting up, she left the coin on the floor.

"I suspected as much, will you let us through?"
-----------
Joanne nodded. "Fair enough. Then shall we explore together?" She gestured to Emil and Shuffle both as she said that.
-----------
"And why is that?", Jerry asked, "Because Beri told us not to kill each other?"

“Hm, now that is a good question. I’ll admit that your company is much more pleasant than most who come through here. In fact, more pleasant than any who’ve come through here. I may even be sad to see you go.” Drink paused before she smiled. “But perhaps you don’t have to.”

—————

Emil gave a nod. “We may as well.”

Shuffle nodded as well. “Yeah. I wanna see what’s there.”

—————

“Well, no... I just thought we’re supposed to stick together.”

"I wish that were possible, miss," Adran appeared to be saddened by the necessity of leaving. "But I have promises to fulfill. I cannot stay forever, I have my party to attend to."
----------
With the trio in agreement, Joanne led the pack down the other tunnel, using the walls to make sure they weren't separated.
---------
"Well," Jerry leaned over the rails to look at Fia. "What are they gonna think when they come back and both of us are gone? I'm the only one the chimera won't eat, so you can't go check on him alone, and I've only got knives, so I can't stay here alone either. You've got fire, and I've charmed the lion."

Erina frowned. She glanced at Beri before letting out a sigh and walked past them to her web. “Well, that’s a shame. But then I’m afraid I’ll have to ask for compensation before letting you pass. Something to soothe my poor heart.”

—————

The corridor lead on through the dark at a slightly upwards angle. It curved a few times before opening to a room with nothing but a single crate in it, which was relatively dust free.

—————

“Mm, I guess so...” Fia glanced back. “But it’s more boring by myself...”

"What do you have in mind, perhaps I can provide it?" Beri growled at the arachne as she skittered past him.
-----------------
The crate was unlikely to be a mimic or similar creature. Considering how far out of the way it was was how unlikely it seemed that someone would find their way to it, Joanne went up to the crate confidently, looked for the seam of the lid, and pried it open.
-----------------
"I promise, I'll be back in a few minutes. Fiddle around with stuff, maybe you'll invent something new?", Jerry offered, turning and going up the stairs back to the chimera's chamber.

Erina climbed into her web, turning towards them again as she settled down on it. “I’ve lived alone in this place so long, I’m not even sure what I want anymore...”

—————

Bones. The crate was full of bones. And not just human bones, either. There were all shapes and sizes in there. And there were only bones inside the crate. The rest of the room was clear.

—————

“Mmm... okay.” Fia hesitated before she turned and headed back.

The chimera was still laying down, but it had lifted its head and was looking around. It seemed it had just woken up.

"Everyone has something they want," Adran continued with the smile as he approached the web. "Companionship, gold, items, to see things." He looked around the dark room, "Perhaps you might attract more pleasant visitors if this room were not so difficult to find? Do you know the origin of this magical darkness?"
--------
Joanne looked confused as she frowned at the crate. "Necromancers," she muttered, sheathing her sword and replacing the lid.
--------
That was good, Jerry decided, it was alright, and moving around. That healing water seemed to have worked. "Hey," she went up to the lion and patted his side. "Feeling better?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back