• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Cursed Island

When the trio entered the shop this time, Silver was at the counter already. She gave them a smile and a wave as they walked in. "Welcome back."

"Ready and waiting, lucky you." She reached under the counter as Roy walked up and placed two identical stones on the counter.

Roy picked up the stones, one in each hand. They were they same weight, felt the same, and the fake even had a bit of a response from his ability to detect magic. As a dragonblood, however, he could easily tell which one was real. "That's some good work there."

Silver smiled. "Thank you. Always good to hear."

"Yes, yes. You have agreed to be informants for me, so this time it was free." Silver rested her elbows on the counter, setting her chin in her hands. "So, I don't suppose you've picked up on anything already?"

Roy shrugged as he put away the stones. "Only rumors and gossip."

"Anything works. Something meaningless to you could be just what someone else wants to know."

"Well, alright then." Roy took some time to review what he'd heard on his walk the evening before. Once he was done, he looked to Jalin in case he'd heard anything.

"Tavern rumors say Ollivar's been diluting his alcohol with water, and charging more for it," Jalin nodded towards Silver, "It definitely smells like weakened drinks."

Silver gave a nod. “Alright. Well then, info for info.” She reached under the counter again and pulled up a clear glass sphere. “Care to know where to go next?” She saw the look on Roy’s face and nodded. “I know, it’s cliché, but a crystal ball actually makes for a great focus.”

"Well, once we deliver this stone-"

Silver cut in. "Wait, don't tell me." She set the crystal ball down as Roy looked over. She leaned in close, holding her hands on either side as she focused on it. Emilia came over to watch as images started to swirl within the sphere. "Let's see here... You'll want to head north, and a little northeast, to the central kingdom of Woodvale. You'll find trouble, but a great reward with it. You'll also dispel a mystery and encounter a friend." As she was speaking, Roy tried to figure out what kind of magic she was using, but he only found that she wasn't using mana at all. There was some sort of energy, for sure, but it wasn't mana. Jalin may have notice that when she began her divination, her pulse faltered briefly.

Jalin raised an eyebrow, "What manner of magic is this?" He couldn't see what the ball was doing, but by the flicker of her pulse and the movement of some form of energy, something was happening.

Silver looked at Jalin as she straightened up, the crystal ball going clear once more. "Technically speaking, it's not magic as there's no mana involved. See, while there's many mages who claim to be psychics, all they're doing is performing parlor tricks and casting illusions, or reading off a horoscope. I'm one of very, very few true psychics. My mind is abnormally powerful, which not only gives me complete control of any and all of my bodily functions, but I can also manipulate the world around with a mere thought." She lifted her hand, bringing the crystal ball up into the air without touching it. "And with a proper focus, I can even use foresight or commune with passing spirits, or other creatures on alternate planes of reality."

That sounded like Transmutation and Divination magic with extra steps, to Jalin. "Everything you just described falls under Divination and Transmutation," Jalin sook his head, "Energy sources can be hidden, but ascribing new terms to existing abilities makes them no less explained." Certainly tough schools of magic, but existing and well understood ones all the same, even if not by the common man.

"Well, you're free to believe what you like. That makes no difference to me." Silver took the ball in her hands to put it away.

Roy glanced at Jalin. "There is still the matter of how her mana didn't flow in the slightest."

Silver spoke up again. "In any case, you have your order and you have a heading. Did you need anything else?"

Emilia brought over a few more sewing supplies she wanted.

While Emilia made her purchase, Jalin raised an eyebrow at Roy, "I did not sense a change in her pool, either, but that does not mean mana was not used." Energy took many forms, mana was just the form most mortals had free access to. "It could be celestial in origin, beyond mortal perception. But energy was transferred, nonetheless."

Roy shrugged. "She doesn't seem interested in arguing it anyway."

"Precisely." Silver smiled as she handled Emilia purchase. "Just because someone doesn't believe what you say doesn't make it any less true, so why argue?"

Silver handed over Emilia's purchase once it was paid for. Emilia smiled and dipped her head as she took it. "Thank you."

"Thank you." Silver waved to them. "Come again."

"If we have need, we will do business," Jalin nodded and stepped out of the shop with the others. "So now we must deliver our 'stone' to the prince."

Roy nodded as he followed him out. "Indeed. Here's hoping it goes well."

Emilia spoke up as she stored her new purchase. "Should we round up the others, or will we be fine with just us three?"

"I believe we can handle this task with just us three," Jalin said. He tapped his cane and looked towards the castle, "Turac and Katsuo should easily be able to keep Nidia and Siege under control until we return, I do not think those two would leave a good impression in their current state."

Back at the inn, Turac was seriously considering just turning his earring and swallowing the two into his treasure stomach so they couldn't make more problems.

"Good point." Roy headed on towards the castle, and Emilia followed behind him.

In the privacy of the room, Nidia had taken to rolling about on her bed. May as well get it out of her system while she had the chance.

Making their way up to the castle, the guards let them through once they heard what they were here for. They politely waited their turn until the king was not busy and approached to request to speak with him. "We have recovered the prince's stone."

The king blinked. "Have you now?"

Roy nodded and took out the forgery, holding it up.

The prince quickly walked over, taking the stone and looking it. "Ha, well, there it is. Your group is more skilled than I believed."

"Which is saying something." The king shook his head. "In any case, you've done well. We were prepared to wait for weeks."

"We are not so patient," Jalin smiled a bit, "I hope prince Fitzroy finds a more secure storage for the stone than his bedside table. If one thief has figured out how to get to his chambers, more may do the same."

Fitzroy nodded. “I will, but we’ll also be stepping up security to make sure no one else can break into the castle so easily.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back