• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Cursed Island

"Hmm," Jalin thought for a moment, "We don't have a way to conceal Katsuo's identity, do we?" He felt his wrists and the vents into his bloodstream. Those would likely get him into trouble, if this kingdom was anything like that of their homeland, they would be checking palms for the murder mark as well. "This is complicated."

"Well, we gotta get into the city," Sinach looked around for possible ways in. "We need a way in and a way out." And he somehow doubted the royal family would just let them walk away with treasure. "Someone come up with a plan."

Roy crossed his arms to think. As he did, Jalin would be able to overhear a conversation in the waiting crowd.

"The crown prince himself!?"

"Would you calm down? Yes, he'll be leading the charge against the bandits east of here, in that old fort."

"Well, it's about time. They've been causing trouble for far too long. Prince Fitzroy will put them down for good."

"Mom would have a plan," Siege grumbled, trying to think of one herself. "How would she do this..."

"Hmm," Jalin frowned as he listened to the agitated conversation, "Do you recall those bandits that attacked us last night?"

"Well, there is an abandoned fortress to the east, which is filled with them," jalin nodded towards the gate, "Supposedly, the crown prince will be leading a charge to take it back sometime soon." He tapped his cane and smiled, "Perhaps, if we were faster, we might earn favor with the royal family?"

"Hmm.... That might work. Assuming we don't just get ourselves killed."

Katsuo spoke up. "They had the element of surprise in our last encounter. Now we do."

"And a dragon," Siege added.

"So... kill bandits, make the prince happy, get an audience, and somehow that gets us to the dragonstone of water?", Sinach asked, "If they even have it."

"If nothing else it'll get us into the city." Roy nodded. "Worth a shot. If we feel like we're in over our heads, we can retreat."

"And, I still owe you for your part on the ship. Getting into the city means getting to a library." Roy started heading east, followed by Nidia and Emilia.

"Onward, then," Jalin tapped his cane and followed after the others, Siege and Turac walking behind the party.

"Hand me your hammer," Turac ordered.

"What?"

"You need to learn to use the axe and the armor if you intend to master them." Turac looked at Siege, "And I can tell just looking at you that you have not properly attuned to either."

"Yeah, well I don't like passing out every time I try to do something!"

"Then train your pool, why do you think Roy pursued magical power? There is more to magic than just spells."

Nidia looked over as she overheard them. "I brought some mana potions that could help. Well, I brought two, anyway. The ingredients are hard to come by at home, and they were expensive at that shop."

"Mana potions only restore mana, they do not combat sudden mana exhaustion on a pool her size," Jalin pointed out, "She will need to expand her pool, or find an outside source. Perhaps soul gems." The head of his cane had several on it, as a precaution, since loose souls would not be an occurrence while he was with the party.

"So how do I make my pool bigger?", Siege demanded.

"Roy?"

"Practice and training, like making your muscles bigger. But instead of lifting heavy things, you have to focus on channeling your mana. Regular meditation is one good way to do it."

"Is there a quicker way to do it?"

"You could become a Shade," Sinach offered, "But that would warp your body."

"Uh... I don't want to end up like mom..."

Roy reached into his robe. "Here... This should help you get started." He tossed a book to Siege titled "Novice's Guide to Channeling Mana." "The exact process various from one person to another, but that'll give some tips for finding how it works for you."

Siege almost complained about the homework, but Turac was quick to shut her up again. "... Fine, but if in a week-"

"It took me several weeks before I could manage to hold my own undead for more than a few minutes," Jalin shook his head. "Expanding your pool is only half of the issue, you must also train to use mana more precisely and efficiently, and train to recover it quickly."

It was already getting dark as they neared the area ruled by these bandits. Fortunately, almost the entire group could see very well in the dark, the remaining two were blind or enchanted to be a super soldier, so they had no issues navigating without torches, outside of keeping track of each other.

Roy nodded. "You didn't get your strength in a week. We didn't become skilled at magic in a week." He slowed as the approached the small patch of woodland that housed the fort in question before taking out his map. "This fort we're going to was built in the middle of these woods. They'll no doubt have scouts keeping watch, so we'll want to watch out as we proceed."

"Hmm," Turac reached over to take the hammer out of Siege's holster, "Use your axe."

"Whatever," Siege fished out her bracelets and put them on. It took a few steps before she could go from ground-shaking thuds to regularly quiet footsteps again, and was visibly uncomfortable with how gingerly she had to walk.

"There goes stealth," Sinach muttered. He shook his head and fluttered up to Roy, "Catch," he refolded in the air to his tome form to be caught, flipping to his spell pages as soon as he was. Roy found he could read these pages, at least.

Roy looked up before catching Sinach in his hands, looking at the open pages. "Oh. Well, this will be handy. Thank you." Holding Sinach in his left, he took hold of his handmade staff in his right hand before looking at the others to see if they were ready. Nidia had her flute in hand and Emilia simply gave a nod. Katsuo held his waraxe in hand, leaving the other hand free.

Planning in advance, Jalin put as many people between himself and the edge of the trail as possible, so hopefully he wouldn't be shot again, with blood swirling into a circle in the air next to him. Siege took her axe out, getting used to how the axehandle held versus her hammer, while Turac strolled along with the hammer resting on his shoulder, scanning the treeline for any activity.

Roy gave a nod. "If we spot any scouts, don't let them escape. If they get back to that fort and warn the others, they'll be ready for us. They might even set an ambush."

"Then we'll kick their asses," Siege replied.

"No," Jalin shook his head, "We are not equipped to storm a fortress. The success of this mission depends on our ability to get in the fortress and defeat the bandits before the prince can muster his army to lay siege." Which, depending on how big a force that was, could take several days. "It would be more advantageous, perhaps, if we could manage to be captured by the bandits. Most of us use magic, we are not disarmed just because we are disarmed." Although Roy used a casting focus and Nidia a flute for her bardic magic.

"If myself, Roy, and Emilia can be captured," Jalin offered, "While Turac, Katsuo, Nidia, and Siege wait outside, then we shall be able to escape fairly easily and steal our way to the gate to let the rest you in."

Roy looked over. "That does depend on these bandits taking prisoners instead of just killing us to take all our stuff."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back