• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Cursed Island

"I am writing," Jalin shrugged.

"Bullshit, you can't see." Sinach blurted.

"No, but I still have nerves in my fingertips," Jalin wigged his fingers at them. "It is braille. I use no ink, but using these," he held up the knob and slate, "I can put a system of tiny bumps in the paper." He held up the book for Roy or Sinach to feel. The paper was heavier than what Roy normally wrote on, closer to a book-shaped stack of cardstock than a tome like Roy was used to.

Roy reached out to feel the bumps. "Huh... And you can feel those bumps and know what was written. Interesting. Though I'm sure it's just normal for you."

"The trick," Jalin said, "Is these." He held up the slate, which was covered in little holes, and the knob, which on closer inspection had a small metal protrusion.

"Hold up," Sinach objected after feeling the page, "You poke the other side of the page, I've watched."

"Yes, well, to write braille I have to do it backwards on the opposite for it to be intelligible," Jalin shrugged, "That is why my book is so thick. I can only write on one side of the page."

"Huh. I wouldn't mind learning that. I don't know if it would ever be useful to me, but it would still be nice to know about."

"It is also impossible to write braille sloppily," Jalin added, "The slate controls that."

Sinach made a face, "Yeah, his handwriting is gross." The paper dragon shook his head and fluttered to perch on Katsuo's helm. "And so's that book, if there's no ink to it."

"Ah. My mom taught me some things about decoding. Not that I'd be trying to snoop in your journal, of course."

"Of course not," Jalin closed the book and looked up, "You don't want to die." The room was quiet for a moment.

'Try not to cut yourself on that edge, damn," Sinach said to break the tension. "What are the girls doing?"

Upstairs, the party had more or less broken down. Mostly because if Siege broke any more wrists, the ship wouldn't be able to run.

The ones who'd lost to Siege took a couple swigs of rum to dull the pain while they recovered. Thankfully nothing on the ship needed adjusting at the moment aside from the wheel, which was currently in Sal's hands. Nidia and Emilia had gone back to trying to chat.

Jalin relayed that information to Roy and Sinach, "Your sister has broken every wrist this vessel has to spare, Emilia and Nidia are resuming their efforts at communicating. If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say the one that has arm wrestled with the men has made the most progress."

"Indeed." Jalin nodded.

Upstairs, job done, Siege found a place to sit and watch, the crew work the ship, the ones that had two functioning arms, anyway, making small talk.

The rest of the day was almost uneventful. A few hours past before those in the brig heard a thump against the outside of the ship. It didn't sound like a major collision, perhaps just running over a large fish. Except it was soon followed by a slow series of smaller thumps going up the side of the hull.

"What's that noise?", Sinach asked, putting his ears to the wood to listen.

"it sounds like we hit a school of fish," Jalin shrugged, "This ship's hull is strong enough to resist impacting a soft object."

Nidia was up on deck, leaning her back against the ship's railing as she took a break from chatting. After a bit, she flicked her ear, hearing...something behind her. She couldn't quite figure out what it was. She looked over her shoulder at the water before turning to look over the side of the railing. What she saw was a young girl with teal hair and pink eyes, wearing a plain purple dress. Nidia paused in confusion before realizing how the girl was even there, She was holding onto the side of the ship with the eight tentacles that were coming out from the bottom of the dress in place of her legs.

The girl smiled at her as she looked over at her. "May I speak with your captain?"

"Um..." Nidia looked over towards the helm. "Ah, Captain...!"

Sal looked over before passing the wheel to the first mate and walking over.

'What?", Siege looked over from where she was sitting to see someone standing over the side of the ship... in the middle of the ocean... while they were still navigating through the storm. She did what a normal person would do under those circumstances, assumed danger,, and reached for her hammer. She got all the way to pulling the weapon over her shoulder before realizing it wasn't there, so she darted down to the brig and almost vaulted the entire room to get to her cell, grabbing her frost axe and running back upstairs.

"What's gotten into her?", Sinach raised an eyebrow.

"Someone probably touched her butt."

Roy shook his head. “I imagine we would’ve heard the impact of them hitting the deck first.” He got up to follow after Siege more slowly.

Sal looked over the railing at the hybrid girl clinging to the side of her ship. The girl smiled and gave a salute. “Requesting permission to board, Captain!”

Sal blinked and raised an eyebrow. “Granted...”

The girl nodded and proceeded to climb up the rest of the way, hopping onto the deck. She stood about four and a half feet tall, but she could most likely push herself up taller with her tentacles.

Up on deck as Siege came out of the hold with her axe giving off frost mist, there weren't any butt-hurt pirates dealing with the aftermath of being punched in the throat, but Siege was striding over to the hybrid girl that was now on the ship, "How'd you get on thiis boat?"

Sal looked over at Siege, holding her arm out towards her. "Hold. You're not really threatened by this girl, are you?"

The girl tilted her head. "I saw the ship coming, so I thought I'd say hi. I just got in front of it and grabbed on." There was a wet pop as she lifted one of her tentacles, showing how she'd stuck onto the side.

"We're surrounded by a storm, and something just grabs onto the boat!", Siege gestured to the storm raging around Sal's pocket of calm weather. She didn't even process that someone who frequently traveled the ocean might be more familiar with sea dangers than herself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back