• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Cursed Island

Adran, Emil, and Fia seemed to have gotten the safe door this time. It took them down a hallway before coming to a dead end room. There was a few broken crates and a chest, but nothing else.

Shuffle stayed where she was for a bit before realizing Joanne had already gone towards the door, at which point she hurried to catch up. Their door brought them into a large stairwell. Looking down the middle, it seemed exceptionally dark at the bottom.

The chimera soon started feeling the effects of blood loss. It stopped licking and whimpered a bit as it started feeling dizzy.

Adran knew from last time that mimics were down here, and without Jerry, who apparently knew how to spot them, or Beri, who could somewhat smell them within a certain range, or so he claimed, they couldn't anticipate when one would appear. "So," he said, "Who wants to open it?"
----------------------​
Joanne raised her light bracelet as she started down the stairs.
----------------------​
It was a relief when the lion stopped licking, leaving Jerry's skin a little raw from the feline's rough tongue. When he started whimpering, however, Jerry got a bit concerned. Either he was afraid, or he was hurt. Considering that he had not up until this point reacted to two out of three heads being demolished, something that could hurt him was terrifying, something that scared him was even worse. "What is it?", Jerry asked, finally getting out from under the lion's head. She saw the blood pouring profusely from the chimera's wounds. "Crap, Shuffle's got the magic bag," Jerry realized a bit too late. She could feed the lion some healing stuff, but she didn't know how much it would take for the wounds to close, or if the heads would reanimate, and she didn't have enough oil or a large enough piece of metal to cauterise the wounds.

"Think, Jerry, this is your cat, now," Jerry muttered, tapping her chin. Wood would make a fire that would suffice, but aside from the doors, there wasn't much that she could use, aside from some smashed crates strewn about, and they'd rotted pretty badly. "Hmm..." Glancing around the room, she spotted the unconscious leopard and had an idea. Going over to the leopard, not sliding because her legs were bare, he put the flask of healing water to the leopard's mouth and forcefed the cat some.

Beri came to sputtering and growling at whoever had tried to drown him, until he realized it was Jerry. "What are you-"

"Shh. Adran and the others are off exploring, there's something I need you to do," Jerry said to the leopard. "I can't leave this room and the chimera's bleeding out. I need you to go get me some wood so I can heat up my knives."

"Why do you care if the chimera dies?", Beri asked.

"He'll be useful later, now go." Jerry swatted the cat on the flank, and he growled at her but went about the mission he'd been given, slowly pulling a pile of useable wood from smashed crates and broken doors into the room, which Jerry set up into a small fire. Occasionally, the rogue would talk to the chimera and try to keep it calm. "Don't get up, just sit still, you'll be okay." The plan was to cauterize the wounds so they stopped bleeding, and then to feed it healing water. That way the lost parts wouldn't grow back, it would just heal over the sealed wounds.

"I do!" Fia happily ran over to the chest. She flapped her wings to hop up on top of the chest, turning around as she looked at it. Reached down and hooked her talons on the edge of the lid before flapping her wings frantically to get it open. She wasn't doing a very good job of opening it, but at least she confirmed it wasn't a mimic.

----------

The bracelet worked well enough, though it was still hard to see what was ahead at the bottom. Anything outside the bracelet's light was pitch black. Shuffle stayed close as she tried to see through the darkness.

----------

The chimera wanted to follow Jerry, but it didn't have the strength to stay up anymore. The adrenaline of the fight was all that had been keeping it up before, so it was only know that it really noticed all its wounds. It rested its head down to try and make the room stop spinning.

Poli just watched from where they rested.

"Um, Fia, that's the hinge side," Adran said to the harpy, going up and flipping the lid open from the latch side. "At least it isn't trying to eat us, I don't have any spells left to tie it up like Poli."
--------------
"This is not natural darkness," Joanne decided as she stuck to the walls in order to avoid getting lost. Then she had an idea, taking out the container of luminescent dust and leaving a trail of glowing dust so they could find their way back if they did move from the walls.
--------------
Once the fire had heated the blades to the point where they glowed, Jerry picked them up, not really fearing the heat after all the times so far when head just would not touch her. She started with the goat, since it was bleeding the most profusely. "Easy now," she whispered to the lion, "This is gonna hurt, but you're gonna be okay." Bracing herself and taking hold of the fur, she put the glowing hot knife into the wounds, sealing off the blood vessels and arteries so they stopped bleeding. It took a while, and she knew that it was probably very painful, but if the bleeding didn't stop, the lion would die, and considering that lion had taken an entire bottle of potion to deal with, that was a sizeable investment. She had to make a couple trips to deal with the goat, but eventually it stopped bleeding, not that Jerry herself wasn't covered in the chimera's blood.

Then came the snake, which fortunately hung loose from the rear, without a head to make it move. It was much easier to deal with after she cut off the ragged bits from where the head was blown off, and was sealed off much quicker. "There, all done," Jerry said as she partially walked, partially slid back up to the lion and uncorked the flask. "Open up, buddy," once the lion's mouth was open, she poured the magic water down his throat. "It's gonna hurt, but you'll feel better, I promise." Jerry on the other hand, might lose an arm, here.

Fia fluttered off the chest as Adran opened it, looking inside along with him. Inside the chest was an old but well made lute. Fia tilted her head, but Emil quickly excited and grabbed the instrument. "A lute! Oh, thank the gods. I won't question how or why it's here." He looked it over for a few moments to make sure it was intact.

----------

Shuffle looked up at Joanne. "Should we get the others? Maybe more lights will help?"

----------

The chimera growled as Jerry closed the wounds, claws dragging on the floor, but it stayed put. By the time Jerry got to it with the water, the beast was hardly awake, tired from the fight and the pain. It growled weakly as it swallowed the water.

"Well that's nifty, maybe it does a thing?", Adran offered, "Besides make noise, I mean." Then he reached into the chest and waved his arm around to make sure there wasn't anything else in there. Satisfied he dropped the lit back down. "Shall we head back?"
---------------
"More lights will only show us where other people are," Joanne said, "As you can see, the lights do little beyond that, we will be blind either way. It would be better to find a route we can guide the others on than for all of us to be clamoring around in the dark."
---------------
"Easy, just go to sleep and heal, you'll be okay," Jerry said comfortingly to the chimera. It probably couldn't understand a word she said, but she wanted this one to stay alive. Once the chimera had swallowed a sizable amount of water, Jerry took the flask back. and rubbed the lion's side until it was asleep. "There you go, nice and easy," she whispered taking a few steps back so as not to wake it. She couldn't do much about the blood that was everywhere, but she needed to get it off of herself before she dried sticky.

Turning the bottomless flask upside down to pour it onto herself, there was a wash of glowing water and then a scream as Jerry was now steaming with angry red, almost blisters, on her skin. The anti-corruption water did not like the rogue in that moment. Even though the blood washed off quickly and the red spots vanished as soon as they appeared, it hurt tremendously. It was all Jerry could do to stopper the bottle with shaking hands before collapsing onto the floor.

"I don't feel any inherent magic within it, but I can manage that part. Let's head back." Emil let Adran and Fia lead as he started tuning the newly acquired instrument.

----------

"Mm, alright." Shuffle glanced back. It was hard to tell how far they'd gone down the hallway, but it turned sharply soon enough.

----------

The chimera dozed off quickly, even sleeping through Jerry's shout. Poli noticed though and crawled over. "I thought that only happened to those with corruption. I'd ask what you've been getting into, but I've been with you, so I already know. Did you swallow some blood?"

Adran led the trio as they made their way back to the main room. "How much you wanna bet that chimera's still licking her?", Adran asked, and then he heard the scream and started running.
---------
Joanne's dust line did it's job, though, providing a trail they could backtrack to if they had to. Around the corner, the line partially vanished from view, but it could still be followed. they'd have to come onto something eventually.
---------
Curled up, Jerry shook her head. Only Shuffle did the blood thing, but Jerry had been in the dungeon for a while, maybe it was rubbing off on her? She heard something hiss in the back of her mind, but didn't pay it any attention.

"In the little time I have known this rogue," Beri said, "She has adamantly refused to consume anything that was not brought with her or summoned by my master's spells." Speaking of Beri's master, Adran came running into the room soon after, bow drawn and expecting to have to shoot something. The chimera was a sleep, there was a puddle of blood, and... Beri and Poli were sitting around Jerry, who was curled up into a ball and shaking.

"What happened?", the elf demanded.

Emil glanced up before running after Adran. He could finish tuning later.

----------

They continued on through the darkness a bit further before Shuffle suddenly squeaked and dropped out of the light. There next to Joanne was a hole in the floor, leading down a steep dirt tunnel which Shuffle had just fallen into.

----------

Poli looked over as Adran and the others burst in. "Jerry got burned by healing water, like Shuffle and I did."

"Shuffle?" Loking around in the dark, Joanne found the hole. "Shuffle? Are you down there?"
---------------------
"That's impossible," Adran squatted next to Jerry and touched the water that was spread everywhere. It steamed against him, and Jerry was steaming as well. "How is that possible?"

"She has not consumed or partaken in anything from this place," Beri offered, "Perhaps one of her items? Maybe Poli has been rubbing off on her?" Adran shook his head

"The mimic was already purified," he said, looking Jerry over, checking the two necklaces, the ring, and the eleventy assorted sharp objects plastered to her body. When he got to the crystal, he sensed magic, as he had before when he'd given it to her, but he couldn't detect anything evil directly in the object. Unbeknownst to them, the crystal itself did not bring corruption, but it's use invited it, and Jerry had been using it a lot, recently.

There was a quiet groan from the hole before Shuffle called up. "Y-yeah, I'm okay! Watch out for the hole!"

----------

"Hey, I don't rub off on things. If you ask me, it's that crystal. I kept feeling it do weird magic things, but I can't tell what exactly."

"Is it a long drop?" Joanne called down the hole. "Should I go fetch a rope?" Then she realized all the rope was in the bag of holding, that Shuffle had. "Can you throw a rope?"
------------
Adran seemed a little confused by that. "I made that necklace, it's part of a phylactery." He scratched his chin before holding the crystal in his palm and closing his eyes. "Vide!" Using a bit of magic, he took a look inside the crystal. It was empty. It was still a conduit, but the fragment of dragon soul that was in it earlier was gone. "It's empty, there's nothing in it," he said when he opened his eyes.

"I can try." There was a pause followed by a dull thud, but no rope came into sight. "Did it go?"

----------

"Was it empty when you gave it to her?"

Fia tilted her head. "Kinda looks like the warped soul gems in the dead dragons."

"It did not," Joanne said, "Try again."
---------
"No, there was a fragment left in the crystal, but I checked it, there's no way it could still have a will of its own, it's probably decayed and died proper," Adran let go of the crystal. "I don't know, these kinds of strength charms have limited functions."

There was an audible grunt as Shuffle tried again but still no rope. "Now?"

----------

Fia shook her head. "Souls don't decay, they pass to other realms or stay in ours. I'm not sure if fractured souls can pass on though."

"No," Joanne stood up and tried to figure out what to do. "I believe Jerry has a rope in her kit, i will return shortly."
-------------------
Adran shrugged, "Well, it's not there anymore, so it had to have passed on, souls can't just bust out of their containers."

"... I really hate this place," Jerry whispered weakly. "Everything sucks."

"Alright. I'll try to climb back up while you do that."

----------

Fia looked at her. "It's not that bad. The corruption is a bit gloomy, but you met us here. That's good, right?"

Jerry's reaction to Fia's attempt at comfort was a shaky middle finger.

"She's fine," Adran said upon seeing that, standing up. "We need to figure out what we're doing, though."

It took some time for Jerry to properly recover, but after some moments the shaking stopped and she was able to sit up, and with help, stand up. "Poli," Jerry reached out to the mimic.

"Bodysuit, camouflage is easier."

Joanne entered the room as this exchange was happening. "Jerry! Where is your climbing kit?", Joanne asked.

"Next to the chimera, why?"

"Shuffle has fallen down a hole, and I need to retrieve her from it."

Poli nodded, or as close as they could to nodding, before reforming the bodysuit over Jerry.

Emil looked over at Joanne. "How did Shuffle fall down a hole? I've seen how nimble she is."

"I do not know," Joanne replied, picking up Jerry's kit as the rogue strapped on her equipment and her cloak.

"Well," Jerry said, going over to the chimera to check that it was still alive. "I guess we better go get the critter."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back