• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Cursed Island

"Hehe, maybe," Emera poofed as Joanne called over the mirror that they were almost there and about to go into the water.

----------------
Joanne set the egg bundle down and unwrapped it. "Shuffle, you took the egg, it would be best if you carried it," Joanne instructed, but urged Shuffle to stay behind her so as to not risk the mother chomping now and questioning later.

Niudisa looked over at Joanne's call before fluttering to whichever mirror the group was using to watch.

----------

Shuffle gave a nod before picking up the egg. Somehow it felt heavier than before, now that she knew what she'd done.

Joanne crammed on her helmet and checked the mirror to make sure it still worked. Jerry picked hers up, Jerry's face being added to the reflection on it. Everyone ready, Joanne marched into the water, never leaving the bottom because of the weight of her armor. The necklace glowed as magic gill lines appeared, allowing Joanne to breathe normally as though she were in normal air, as it had with Jerry.

Deeper into the tunnel, it was evident the dragon turtle had tried for some time to work the tunnel open enough that she could get through. The exit to the tunnel was worn and broken. The turtle had realized that she wouldn't get very far like that, though, and had cut her losses to go lay over her other eggs to protect them from another thief. The jagged hump of the sleeping turtle wasn't at the bottom of the pool where it had been before, but it was visible on top of the island, moving as it extended its head and gazed down into the water, watching the light from Joanne and Shuffle.

The turtle growled, but didn't leave the nest just yet.

Shuffle walked in after Joanne, switching to swimming once the water was deep enough. The thralls followed alongside them. They floated a bit as the water got deep, but with their mouths still open, the air inside them escaped in bubbles and they soon sank to walk on the bottom like Joanne.

Shuffle glanced at the tunnel entrance as they passed it before looking up towards the mound.

The turtle growled again as she saw the large number of invaders to her layer, carefully swiping some treasures over the eggs before sliding off of the mound and into the water. The turtle appeared much larger when you weren't running from it. The turtle growled at the invaders as it treaded water in front of them. It saw the ivory sphere in the thief's hands, and recognized the smell, and the growl turned into a roar.

"Here we go," Jerry muttered in common before switching to draconic. "Wait, we wish to apologize for the actions of our companion!", she practically shouted into the mirror. The turtle paused, closing its beak and lowing its head towards Joanne, where the sound came from.

"Who are you to demand things of me?", the turtle demanded in turn.

"I am someone who is unfortunately responsible for the ignorance of my companions," Jerry replied, "Shuffle took your egg in ignorance, she had no knowledge of its true value."

Shuffle couldn't understand the conversation happening, but it seemed like the turtle was talking at least. She kept her ears down and held the egg out, hoping apologetic body language would translate well enough.

"You say ignorance, yet the thief returns it."

"My companion was sent ahead to search for a way we could pass," Jerry explained, "Unfortunately, she is too easily distracted. We have reprimanded her and she wishes to apologize for her actions." The turtle looked over at Shuffle holding out her egg, and gently took the egg in her beak, growling at Shuffle before turning, her tailfin swinging indifferently at the group as the turtle swam back up to the mound to replace the egg.

Shuffle tensed as the turtle came close, but she let her take the egg back. She ducked as the tail swung towards them, taking a moment to steady herself from the turbulence before she relaxed. It seemed to have worked.

Joanne braced herself as the tail slapped against her armor, almost falling over but getting her balance back before she did so.

The turtle didn't come back into the water for a few moments, apparently doing something with her eggs. And then she splashed back into the water diving back to the group and growling again. "Why are you still here?" Jerry translated to the group, before explaining that they wanted to pass, but in order to do so they needed to get through the dragon turtle's lair. The turtle didn't much like that idea, refusing it out of hand.

"She said no, guys, she isn't gonna let us through," Jerry translated to the rest of the group.

Niudisa shook her head. "That won't do. We can't exactly tunnel around that area, and not moving forward isn't an option either."

Emil spoke up. "That said, fighting isn't a very good option either."

"Should we offer a trade?", Joanne asked, "Perhaps we can add to her hoard?"

"I'll ask, hold up the mirror." When Joanne held up the mirror to the dragon turtle as Jerry started talking again. "Perhaps we can offer a trade for safe passage?" The turtle looked to Shuffle and jutted her beak at the flesh golem. No words came from the dragon, but her meaning was clear. She wanted the thief.

Shuffle put her ears back, but she said nothing. She wasn't keen on the idea, but if it meant getting everyone else past... Maybe she'd still be able to get away afterwards.

Niudisa spoke up though. "Shuffle's kind of a major damage dealer. Maybe clarify that you meant gold and shinies and other good dragon hoard stuff."

Jerry nodded, but somehow didn't seem too keen on either idea. "Under any other circumstance, madam, I would agree, but I need this fool in my employ." Jerry reasoned that if she didn't seem like she had a high opinion of Shuffle either, then it would reduce Shuffle's value in the eyes of the turtle. "I do have in my possession a large quantity of treasure that I offer instead. Gold and jewels, and such."

The dragon turtle narrowed her eyes and looked right up against the mirror, her giant eye inches from the reflective surface, making Jerry jump and almost drop hers. "And what makes you believe that I accept tribute?"

"I do not offer tribute, my companions and I offer a trade of a large amount of treasure. Would a larger hoard not be more pleasing?"

The dragon considered that for a moment. "Show me."

"Guys, she wants to see what we've got for treasure!", Jerry called to whoever had the bag.

Erina looked at Jerry. "You had it last I saw, when you were eating."

Emil nodded and glanced around. "And then we started packing. So, who was the one to pick it up?"

Erina didn't have it, Emil didn't have it, Jerry didn't have it. Emfa looked around confused, Adran flipped through his coat and put his hands up. Veo rummaged around in her bag for it. "Aw, shit," Jerry groaned. Beri sniffed around and found the bag, padding back over with it in his mouth. "Thank you." Jerry reached into the bag and pulled out one of the goblin strongboxes, popping open and showing the contents to the turtle. "This is only a small sample of what is in our possession," she explained.

The turtle didn't say anything for a moment, appearing to be doing some mental calculations and glancing at her hoard, and then at her shell. She nodded. "Bring it to me."

"I will need one of the ones I've sent to you to return in order to-"

"No," the turtle cut Jerry off, "No one leaves my den until the treasure is presented." Jerry translated that to the others.

Niudisa spoke first. "Well, shit. Ask if the undead minotaur can come back, at least. He can carry a good bit. Otherwise, we gotta find out who can hold their breath the longest."

"That's a problem," Adran pointed out while Jerry tried to negotiate for at least one person to be able to come retrieve the thing. "I don't think any of us can even swim. I know Beri and I can't."

"We can't," Veo and Emfa added, "And Jerry's got exposed tissue."

Erina shook her head. “I’m not built for water.”

Niudisa shrugged. “I can’t swim but I’ve got a bubble spell that lets me go underwater. I can’t carry more than a couple coins at a time though.”

Emil spoke up. “I can swim, though I would not call myself the best at it.”

"Hmm...", Adran paced and thought about that. "I probably polymorph you into something, but the spell doesn't last very long, it'll wear off in minutes."

"I... I don't know how far my vines can extend, but they're pretty strong?", Veo offered.

"As far as I know, mimics can only poymorph into objects, they can't do other beings, but they can emulate movement," Adran shrugged, "Find and ask, I guess. I bet it's turned into a jewelry box again."

Poli, currently in box form, spoke up from their corner. "I resent that. But yeah, if all you need is someone to carry stuff over there, I could probably manage. And I could trap a pocket of air to breathe with when I'm down there."

Adran laughed at that, "I called it!"

"What happens when that air pocket runs out, though?", Veo asked, "It's a deep dive, and you're not very big."

"I'll gather as much as I can, breathe only the minimum required to keep going effectively, and then hold my breath. Hopefully that'll give me enough time to go down, dump the loot and get back. If not, I should be able to squeeze myself under the necklace Joanne is wearing and benefit from it as well."

An agreement was reached, then. "Don't dump it out, though, there's all kinds of stuff we don't want her knowing we have," Emfa pointed out as Adran handed the bag to Poli, "Do you need someone to show you where it is?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back