• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

Bug Cursed dice roller

DuckPrince

Bird & Horse lover
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
So, idk what the deal is, but I'm convinced the dice system is broken. I know actual dice can also give you predominantly bad rolls, but randomized rolls shouldn't give you bad rolls pretty much every time. It sucks the enjoyment out of actually playing because every roll just fails in some way. I know fails can be funny occasionally, especially in D&D but this is just absurd. It feels absolutely rigged.

Are your getting consistently the same number/range of numbers? That can happen randomly even if it doesn't feel like it, but if it's the same number every time that seems like something is wrong.

Have you talked to your dm about potentially setting a lower threshold for success? It's definitely not fun to roll failure every time, so maybe that's something that can be worked out.

I actually didn't know that was an option. They said they didn't have control over the dice system when I asked if they set it to be so difficult. I have rolled over 20 or 30 d20's and so far, I've yet to get even one 20 which feels very bizarre..

There's often a preestablished threshold for success defined by the system to try to balance things out. So your dm may be going off of that. I'm the sort to let people succeed at lower thresholds if it seems reasonable (like if they almost reach the needed number and have been failing a lot on previous rolls, I'll just say they succeeded anyways. Or sometimes I say a player "succeeds with a penalty" and apply some sort of penalty since they didn't succeed the threshold but were still close).

It's not super unreasonable not to roll a 20 after 30 or so tries. I have only rolled 1 20 in a game that uses automated dice, and I've been playing for awhile. Try out the dice roller in your private workshop and see if you notice a particular trend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back