• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Curse of Strahd - Reboot! D&D 5e

Should this be on Discord or stay here?

• Discord

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • RPN

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Will provide the updated CS with new ability scores and equipment and stuff in just a few :P gotta get the backstory settled out and it should be good to go

general idea behind the backstory is that i used the tabaxi obsession of "a lost civilization"... his general tabaxi wanderlust drove him from his home, and during his travels, he caught wind of this monastery, which he later found and trained in, hence his way of shadow monk abilities... while at the monastery, he found an ancient tome speaking of a long lost civilization, which drove him to leave the monastery in search of it, and that's what he's doing now, wandering the land, searching for this lost civlization and/or the ruins of this lost civilization, picking up whatever information he can along the way

Alright cool... I mean a spear is only 1 gp and travel supplies shouldn't be too expensive (no need for armor), but that seemed a little low lol

Also, with that backstory, It could fit in with the artifacts that you need to get. "The Tome of Strahd." Its general basics are that it tells of Strahd's weakness and the abandoned world of Barovia.

Alright cool cool... I wanted it to be open-ended and not setting specific, so I figured giving some general terms was fine... here's what I have for the entire backstory:
Nor'Kadan was born to the Moonfangs, a small pride of panther-like Tabaxi. Within this pride, he learned how to wield a spear, using it to hunt and slay the many beasts that lie within the forest. Eventually, he grew restless of just the daily grind, trying to survive in the wilderness. He ended up leaving home, heading out into the world to explore and learn about the world outside of his homeland.

During his travels, he caught wind of a secluded monastery of reclusive monks. He made the journey to this monastery, eventually becoming a part of it and better honing his skills. He picked up some darker abilities, learning how to be one with the shadows and use the shadows to turn the advantage to his favor. While at the monastery, he came across an ancient tome that spoke of an ancient civilization, one that his fellow monks informed him was long lost to the ages.

Wanting to learn more, Nor'Kadan ventured once again into the world, dead set on trying to find the ruins of this lost civilization. He always keeps an ear out for new information regarding the subject.

Also, quick question, I'm going to have him use spears and javelins. I know that you get one "use an object" free action. For instance, you can draw a sword as part of your movement or attack. If I wanted to stow and draw in the same turn, however, would I have to use my action? Like would my free action be used for stow, and then my action used for draw? Also, if I were to later take the dual wield feat (I do eventually want him to dual wield spears. which works because theyre versatile, not two handed, but they're not light so I'd need the feat), would this mean I could draw/stow in the same turn as free actions? Since it says you can draw or stow two one-handed weapons instead of one?

So, blue. My charcter will be using shit like pitons, nets, and other things to kill people with. Instead of picking my starting equipment Can I just buy my own equipment with the gold I get when I choose to do that?

Alright cool cool... I wanted it to be open-ended and not setting specific, so I figured giving some general terms was fine... here's what I have for the entire backstory:
Nor'Kadan was born to the Moonfangs, a small pride of panther-like Tabaxi. Within this pride, he learned how to wield a spear, using it to hunt and slay the many beasts that lie within the forest. Eventually, he grew restless of just the daily grind, trying to survive in the wilderness. He ended up leaving home, heading out into the world to explore and learn about the world outside of his homeland.

During his travels, he caught wind of a secluded monastery of reclusive monks. He made the journey to this monastery, eventually becoming a part of it and better honing his skills. He picked up some darker abilities, learning how to be one with the shadows and use the shadows to turn the advantage to his favor. While at the monastery, he came across an ancient tome that spoke of an ancient civilization, one that his fellow monks informed him was long lost to the ages.

Wanting to learn more, Nor'Kadan ventured once again into the world, dead set on trying to find the ruins of this lost civilization. He always keeps an ear out for new information regarding the subject.

Also, quick question, I'm going to have him use spears and javelins. I know that you get one "use an object" free action. For instance, you can draw a sword as part of your movement or attack. If I wanted to stow and draw in the same turn, however, would I have to use my action? Like would my free action be used for stow, and then my action used for draw? Also, if I were to later take the dual wield feat (I do eventually want him to dual wield spears. which works because theyre versatile, not two handed, but they're not light so I'd need the feat), would this mean I could draw/stow in the same turn as free actions? Since it says you can draw or stow two one-handed weapons instead of one?

I would say that would work. Like I said I'm not very hard on the rules.

Alright, so I can stow a weapon and draw a new one as my "use an object" free action?

Also, I would assume that with "Martial Arts" even if the weapon is melee, if I throw it, I don't get the martial arts option because it was technically a thrown attack, despite being a melee weapon, right? Or does it count since it's a melee weapon? You can technically count thrown weapons as monk weapons when they are deflected via Deflect Missiles, so would that mean a thrown weapon would count since it's a melee weapon with the thrown property?

Update: I googled the question, and yes, the javelin/spear would still count as a monk weapon even when thrown, since they're melee weapons with the thrown property

Alright, so I can stow a weapon and draw a new one as my "use an object" free action?

Also, I would assume that with "Martial Arts" even if the weapon is melee, if I throw it, I don't get the martial arts option because it was technically a thrown attack, despite being a melee weapon, right? Or does it count since it's a melee weapon? You can technically count thrown weapons as monk weapons when they are deflected via Deflect Missiles, so would that mean a thrown weapon would count since it's a melee weapon with the thrown property?
Nax, since I know you're definitely more experienced at DnD than I am, what class should I play for the fighting style I'm going for? I.e, improvised attacks, tying a rope between two pitons, making home-made traps, etc.

Sun, I'll give that a look... didn't you mention using nets at some point? Net is a martial weapon, I believe, so you'll definitely want something that has access to those

Alright, so you'll want something that can wield martial ranged weapons... also, another quick question, about how big would you say javelins are? trying not to overload my character with an improbable amount of javelins, but they only weigh 2 pounds. Problem is how long they are, at least, how long the Olympic javelins I've seen are, they're a good 7+ feet long and I can't imagine someone carrying a bunch of those around lol

Alright, so you'll want something that can wield martial ranged weapons... also, another quick question, about how big would you say javelins are? trying not to overload my character with an improbable amount of javelins, but they only weigh 2 pounds. Problem is how long they are, at least, how long the Olympic javelins I've seen are, they're a good 7+ feet long and I can't imagine someone carrying a bunch of those around lol
Should I just stick with fighter? What do I do if one of my traps fail? I should go fighter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back