• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Curse Of Strahd - IC (Closed)

As the dire offers a retaliation attack of his own, Nor'Kadan winces, feeling teeth sink into his flesh. He then ducks down, spinning his spear around and using both hands to thrust it up into the creature's chest. The creature goes limp as he pushes it off the end of his weapon. "Shame to kill such a beautiful beast. May your spirit be at ease, along with the other of your kin we felled today." He stood, scanning the area. He was on full alert now and anticipated that this little pack was probably close to the bottom of the food chain. He kept his eyes fixed on the area around him, checking in all directions as he walked back to the wolf he'd first slain. (Perception 14) He removed the javelin from its body, putting it back into place with the others, though his spear was still in hand.

He noticed the group seemingly at a state of rest and groaned. "I really don't think we should camp out right here. Those wolves were just the appetizer and I'm afraid that I'm no longer hungry. Best not stick around for the main course and we definitely do not want to know what's for dessert." He sighed, knowing he couldn't take the backseat any longer. It was true, the group looked beat, but this wasn't the place to rest up. "I could use my remaining energy to make us one with the shadows for the next 10 minutes. I could take the lead and try to navigate us at the very least out of this forest, if not to a nearby village. If we can't find our way within the 10 minutes, then we can rest up wherever we may happen to be." Though it was a request, the abrasive tone of his voice, even if unintentional, made the words almost seem like orders. (9 persuasion check for those who don't really wanna move ahead)

Last edited:
As Nor'Kaden moves back to the group he swears he see's some movement. In some shrubs. It may be nothing but something moves. As he says his request and looks around he see's a dark figure crouched low and perfectly still, pointing a crossbow in your direction. As he see's you look at him, he stands up and say's "You guys okay? Have you seen someone around her-" He stops and looks at the dead body on the ground. "Dang. I knew they shouldn't have sent Dalvan. He was just a commoner." He then walks over if no one stops him and looks at the dead wolves. "Spies." He then kicks one of the wolves bodies and says "The devil Strahd must have sent them to kill Dalvan." He then looks at the group of you and say's "My name is Yesper. You must be the new people that the devil Strahd brings in. There's a village about 10 minutes away. I can lead you there?"

(That was a random encounter that went well XD I roll a Barovin Scout :P )

Nor'Kadan points to the corpse on the ground. "Only one other than us is that poor sap right there." He steps forward, standing between the man and the group, spear still at the ready. "If they wish, I've no issue with allowing you to lead us. I will, however, be keeping a close eye on you. This is foreign land for us and I'm sure you can understand why we'd be on guard." His eyes flick to the corpses of the wolves. He talks back over his shoulder. "Same plan as before, only this man can lead us. You all on board?"

Jurel swirled spit in his mouth as it became sour. Not only had the twigs had lit on fire longed turned to ash but the group had somewhat ignored his requests. The wolves still laid slain and no ceremony had gone towards their rest. He swallowed the sour tasting spit in his mouth and clenched his jaw. He took a deep breathe to clear his mind letting the spirit of nature calm his essence. "We can move on, But I'd prefer to check and see if anyone's wounds have become infected, I saw Dornan get hit pretty hard." Jurel waved a cloaked hand in Dornan's direction. (Gonna roll charisma, Jurel would prefer to make sure the whole party is good before leaving. That's just how he is.)

Jurel swirled spit in his mouth as it became sour. Not only had the twigs had lit on fire longed turned to ash but the group had somewhat ignored his requests. The wolves still laid slain and no ceremony had gone towards their rest. He swallowed the sour tasting spit in his mouth and clenched his jaw. He took a deep breathe to clear his mind letting the spirit of nature calm his essence. "We can move on, But I'd prefer to check and see if anyone's wounds have become infected, I saw Dornan get hit pretty hard." Jurel waved a cloaked hand in Dornan's direction. (Gonna roll charisma, Jurel would prefer to make sure the whole party is good before leaving. That's just how he is.)
"No, no. I'm fine. I'm sure someone can patch me up. Let's just continue on and follow this man... I have no idea why we're following him instead of following the directions we've been given, but okay."

Nor'Kadan nodded. "We're 10 minutes away from a safe resting place." He glanced over at the man. "Hopefully." He returned his gaze to the group. "I guess we could take a few minutes to patch any serious wounds and then head out. As I said, we don't want to find out what else lives here." He then turned to Dornan. "As for our previous directions, does this forest look anything like what we were told about? Would be best to follow this man to his village and get our bearings first."

He twirled his spear around, stopping it abruptly against his outstretched arm, the blade mere inches from the scout's throat. Without looking at him, he spoke. "He'll lead us safely." His eyes glanced over, glowing yellow in the darkness, the pupils thin slits. "Otherwise his throat has a date with the tip of this spear." He retracted the spear, keeping it at the ready in his hand.

As he waited for the others to get patched up, he channeled his last bits of energy, the shadows around the party converging inward, swirling around their forms. He informs the group to stick relatively close to him. When they leave, he allows the man to take the point, leading them onward. He walks close enough behind the man that he is but a spear's thrust away should anything seem amiss.

Yesper simply laughs at the threat and say's "We in Barovia wish nothing but death. But our spirits never come to rest. Our Spirits forever stay in Barovia just as the devil likes it. That may be why so many people are born soulless." He lets out a chuckle. "If you are here on a quest it most likely a fraud but our Burgomaster may know something. Also, can I have the letter that was on his body? He was sent to but it at the gate to tell anyone to come by to just turn back...but now you see." He points at the dead body. "I'll have to put that there after I lead you to the village."

After you guys rest up he stands up and walks you to the village ignoring any other questions and saying that there Burgomaster would inform them of anything they need. After a 10 minute walk, you see tall shapes that loom around the dense fog that surround everything. The muddy ground underfoot gives away to slick cobblestone. The tall shapes become recognizable as village dwellings. No sounds break the silence except a mournful sobbing that echoes through the streets from a distance. "Welcome to Barovia."

(Hehehehehehe Also, a map! I came with one!)
p1668663655-3.jpg

Jiro wrenched and cringed ''Villages'' The last time he visited a village they through he devil from the nine hells itself and chased him out. If they where to do any business in the village Jiro would stay outside and remain out of sight. ''How long do we have to stay at this village for?'' He said in regular gloomy voice. If they was a holy place in the village that's where he would head first,as it would the place he would able to be without any prejudice.

Last edited:
Edwin stared at the incoming villager with suspicion at first, but then realized his harmlessness to them. He listened as the man gave explanation to the hostility of the wolves, explaining them as spies of "Strahd," whoever that may be. When the others threatened the man, Edwin looked at them accusingly. No reason a man should be forced to fear his fellow men. As they followed the man to his village Edwin observed the nearby sights, and noted the gloom that surrounded the area. When they arrived at the village the landscape only seemed to look worse, as well as the sounds of mourning in the background.
"If I may ask, what caused the state of this village as so? And who is this Strahd character that you keep mentioning?"​

"Who is Strahd... He is the devil himself. He has lived forever! He is inflicted with Vampyr. And I'm not sure if you noticed but." He points behind him and you see a large castle towering the town. Nor'Kaden saw the shadow before but now knows what it actually looks like. "That is where he lives. I suggest not going up there." The cry is still present while he stops talking. He then speaks up "My Burgomaster Kolyan Indirovich will tell you more or his son Ismark will. Also, that cry is Mad Mary. Her Daughter has gone missing and is still hung up on it. You could talk to her but I just think she is crazy." At that, he walks away into the mist.

As their odd guide disappeared into the mist Jurel's skin shivered. He had no trust for those inflicted with the Vampyr. They were parasites and should be dealt with accordingly. Though parasites had their place in nature, Vampire's were the worst. They just didn't belong. "We should look around for an Inn, Rest up and then go talk to this Mad Mary figure. There's no way I can rest with that banshee wail in my ears." jurel look about the group his eyes landing on Dornan again. "You definitely need to rest."

Nor'Kadan nodded. "This is a much better location for a lengthy rest." His ears twitched at the sound of the cryer, his face twisting with disgust. "However, the sooner we find a way to shut up that incessant wailing, the better."

As their odd guide disappeared into the mist Jurel's skin shivered. He had no trust for those inflicted with the Vampyr. They were parasites and should be dealt with accordingly. Though parasites had their place in nature, Vampire's were the worst. They just didn't belong. "We should look around for an Inn, Rest up and then go talk to this Mad Mary figure. There's no way I can rest with that banshee wail in my ears." jurel look about the group his eyes landing on Dornan again. "You definitely need to rest."
Dornan smiled, "thank you for looking out for me Jurel, it's been a while since I've had a group of people that cared about my survival. I really appreciate it, and yeah. I could use some rest."

Cheesemick Cheesemick Naxtaroth Naxtaroth Sunstone Sunstone TwistedTruth TwistedTruth ShadowedNexus ShadowedNexus
(I guess you guys are moving)
As you walk down the fog-filled streets you come across two large buildings next to each other. One of them (E1 on map) has a sign over the door, creaking on its hinges, read "Bildrath's Mercantile." The windows are covered by heavy curtains that are blocking the sparse light. Close to it (E2 on map) you see a single shaft of light thrusts illumination into the main street, it's brightness looks like a pillar in the heavy fog. Above the gaping doorway, a sign hangs proclaiming this is the "Blood of the Vine Tavern." Anyone with a 12 or higher passive perception can tell the sign originally said "Blood on the Vine Tavern." The sobbing seems to be closer (E3 on map) and almost around the corner.

Cheesemick Cheesemick If Jiro was looking around for a holy place he would see what looks like a church (E5 on map) on top of a hill.

Jiro looked around awkwardly looking for a church as everyone was talking about staying in a tavern. He noticed what he thought was a church on top of a hill. He listened in on what everyone was talking about. A vampire eh? He had encountered a few vampires but none of them where related to his father,maybe this one knew something useful to him. ''I think I see a church up on that hill. If you all want to spend the night in a tavern I'm going to head there for the night and pray''

As the crying got louder, Nor'Kadan grew visibly more irritated. He followed the group, taking in the looks of the town. It was a desolate, dark place. That side of it he enjoyed quite a lot. However, the noise was getting real old real fast. "I'll go to wherever will block out the sound of that wailing. Perhaps we should talk to the woman tonight and give her a bit of optimism so she'll shut the hell up."

Cheesemick Cheesemick If Jiro goes up the hill he see's that this church has obviously weathered the assaults of evil for centuries on end and is worn and weary. A bell tower rises from the back, and a flickering light goes through the boarded windows. The heavy wooden door of the church is covered with claw marks and scarred with fire. If you open the doors it reveals a ten-foot-wide, twenty-foot-long leading into a brightly lit chapel. Four doors, two on each side of the hall, lead to adjacent chambers. The chapel is strewn with debris, and you hear soft voices reciting prayers. Suddenly, the prayer is blotted out by an inhuman scream that rises up under the floorboards. 5 men, 4 women, 1 boy, and 3 girls litter the main area.

Naxtaroth Naxtaroth If you go towards Mary's Townhouse you see a dark, two-story townhouse. The door is boarded up but a window is open. The sobbing is coming from here. The sobbing seems to be coming from up stairs.

Jiro touched the door of the church gently feeling all the scratch marks on it. Ahhhh sanctuary,he thought to himself,the older the church the better in Jiro's mind. Older churches meant more people had prayed there making it more and more safe over time. He looked at the door knockers on the door to see if he could see what deity this church belonged to. As he walked inside and heard a horrible scream. He suddenly got very nervous,as his first thought was they where scared of him,he then looked for the oldest man in the room to see if he was okay.

Blu3 Blu3

Nor'Kadan shakes his head. "No need." He reaches out a clawed hand, rapping at the door lightly, but firmly between the boards with his knuckles. He then speaks, loud enough to be heard through the door and upstairs. "Ah, Mary, was it? We're new in town. You could say we, ah, rolled in with the mist." Jurel would notice Nor'Kadan fighting a small smile at his own word play. "We heard you've got a missing daughter and thought maybe, perhaps, if you could provide us with details that we could find her." He stands back, waiting for 1) the wailing to stop and 2) a response from the woman.

As Nor'Kaden yells up to Mary the sobbing stops and there is quiet for a bit. Then a voice rings out "Who there. I not know you. My daughter. Devil took her. Lore her. You help me? My poor Gertruda!" The cry starts up again but a little quieter and at the top of the stairs you see (Image) and she is crying into a malformed doll wearing a sackcloth dress.

As the scream rings out at the church an older man who looks like the priest (Image) goes into a side room and if you listen to his conversation he sounds like he is praying. You then hear a voice ring out "FATHER! I'M HUNGRY!" The other people in the church look nervous but go back to praying not paying attention to you Jiro.

Mary:
madmary.jpg

Priest:
Danovich.jpg

Last edited:
Nor'Kadan speaks a little quiter now. "A devil? What sort of devil? How do you know a devil is the culprit?" He'd not had personal dealings with infernal beings, but in his texts, he had definitely at least read about them. To be honest, the idea of meeting a fiend quite excited him, even if it was just to send it back to whatever ring of the Hells it came from. He nods to Jurel, looking from him to the woman in a 'help me out here so we can get her to fully stop crying' manner.

Jurel had caught the gesture but there was nothing he could really do. He could brew her a tea to make her sleep but he had neither supplies or time to do such a thing. That being said his people skills sucked as well. Worth a shot though. "Ma'am we can help you get your daughter back, but you need to stop crying and talk to us."
Perception check on her please Naxtaroth Naxtaroth

"Devil Strahd. People saw her. Walk to castle. She only 15. She left only week ago. If you find her, bring home?" At that, she stands up and hugs the doll and goes off into another place upstairs and cries a little softer so you don't really hear her.

(You guys could make an Insight check on her if you want)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back