Literature Current favorite audiobooks?

Dubious

Roleplay Type(s)
I typically don't read book-books except as a last resort (takes too much time away from other things) but I depend on audiobooks to stay sane and get all of my boring chores done.

My recent favorites are Murderbot, The Serpent Gates, The Cemeteries of Amalo, and the Locked Tomb series. I'm currently listening to the new Witch King one by Martha Wells (good so far).

I have very limited experience with audio books. I currently cycle through the few I know. Most of then being star wars.

The Darth Plaguise novel is my current favorite. The Darth Bane trilogy I also very much enjoy.

I have very limited experience with audio books. I currently cycle through the few I know. Most of then being star wars.

The Darth Plaguise novel is my current favorite. The Darth Bane trilogy I also very much enjoy.
Huh. I should check my library for those, see what they have. I think the only one which I ever properly read was one of the Theron Shan ones (was playing a lot of SWtOR at the time & being a total simp for that guy).

Aw dude Theron Shan is so FIIIIIIIINE. Total babe that I simp for as well. Nice voice. Love the LGBT romance/ representation too.

Aw dude Theron Shan is so FIIIIIIIINE. Total babe that I simp for as well. Nice voice. Love the LGBT romance/ representation too.
I specifically designed some toons for other romances but, damn, not flirting with Theron on every playthrough was hard as hell.

Poor guy collected. like. four different sith warriors from me? And an agent. And a... crud, can't remember what the pilot class was called. Oh, and a knight.

Nice butt too. A gay marriage too? *chef's kiss*. I never thought I'd live to see the day a U.S. company would be mature enough to show that

Nice butt too. A gay marriage too? *chef's kiss*. I never thought I'd live to see the day a U.S. company would be mature enough to show that
Ngl, having bi/gay romances is the easiest way to get me to spend money on games xD

Last edited:
Darth Plagueis is a must. Also recommend the Horus Heresy Primarch novels on Konrad Kurze (Night Haunter) and Perturabo (Hammer of Olympia) as well as the Horus Heresy novels “Know No Fear”, “Angel Exterminatus”, “Slaves to Darkness”, and we’ll just about anything else Johnathan Keeble has done narration for. He’s not just reading a book, he’s very good at portraying the drama, suspense, and tension in every scene. He’s a genuine voice actor and he’s got a voice like candy for the ears.

The final sentence from the second to the last chapter in Hammer of Olympia is guaranteed to wrench your heart after all that Keeble has put into that one scene alone.

Also I would strongly recommend giving this reading of John Milton’s “Paradise Lost” a listen. Several years back the BBC had a host of famous British actors perform this reading so it’s like an audio drama more than an audio book as there’s a different narrator for each character. It’s not the entirety of Paradise Lost mind you, that would take significantly longer to read.

If nothing else just listen to who they got to do the voice of Satan! :D

Martha Wells is probably my favorite author. I love her work so much. I've never listened to the audio version, but I adore her Books of the Raksura series, and if you've enjoyed her other books then I would highly recommend trying those as well! I think Moon is a great protagonist and I loved a lot of the supporting characters (Stone in particular is pretty awesome), and the world building is very unique. I haven't finished the series yet, but each book certainly added to the lore of the world and it's a very interesting place.

For audiobooks that I've listened to, I really liked Son of the Black Sword by Larry Correia.

I also loved the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams (I believe I listened to the radio drama version). The episodes are fairly short, and pretty whacky, but a lot of fun if you just go with it.

The Sandman audiobook was also good. I did feel my interest start wax and wane throughout, but overall it was a good experience. The voice acting is absolutely superb.

His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik is also really good. Admittedly I read most of the physical books and then picked the audioversion because I wanted something familiar that I was hoping I could fall asleep to, but it did suck me into listening even though I've read it a couple of times before. The voice for Temerair was a little jaunting at first, but after I got used to it I still enjoyed the story. I'd say some books are more interesting than others in this series, but once you get into it I found the story overall to be really enjoyable. I'd also say that it provides some really cool worldbuilding around the the dragons, and that both Temerair and Laurence make for interesting characters, especially as they’re both opposites. Their friendship is absolutely what makes the series.

Metro 2033: I really liked a lot about this one. I'd say it's likely to be a hit or miss. I got it because I like the videogame and was curious about the book that inspired the game. Personally I loved the voice acting. However it's more of a companion-focused story. While Dmitry is the protagonist and it's his mission that motivates him to keep moving forward, the story really focuses on the companions he meets along his journey during his travels and what he learns from them more than anything else. It's an interesting journey, but very character focused and slightly surreal. The setting is very unique.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back