• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Crystal Cove (open)

OOC
Here
Characters
Here

Lilliana2

Death is no excuse for disobedience
(If you are interested in joining please check out the interest page) Crystal cove (a mermaid rp) interest check

Welcome to Crystal Cove

The merfolk in the clan all start their morning together in the bungalow to prepare for the day!

Erik

Erik stared at the group another day another game plan! “Everybody listen up! I don’t want anyone in the water after the sun comes up. You can stay in the ocean till 8 at the latest it’s 6 now so that gives you plenty of time in the water till later this evening. Have fun in town but remember not to go into any humans home you all know they can be dangerous no matter how much like us they seem to be. I will be patrolling the town so I will l try to keep my eyes on you even if you can’t see me I’m probably there!” He lied it was nearly impossible to keep track of the rest of the clan during the day when there were shoplifters and civil disputes all the time but he wasn’t about to tell them that. “Keep your phones on you when you’re not in the water and no getting human phone numbers! Those are so you and me can keep in contact in cause of emergencies. If either of you catch the others breaking the rules come clean to me.” He knew they probably wouldn’t but it was worth asking of them anyways. “Ok everyone dismissed I won’t be joining in the swim this morning because I have to be in the office early today but I will catch you all later!” he says as he turns to exit the bungalow. Please be safe.

Elaine

Elaine was already up and ready to capture the day! She had already done her daily sweep of the beach and shallow parts of the coral reef to look for injured animals. Only one clownfish with an injured fin today. She glanced down at the small creature in her bucket he’d be healed up and back in the ocean in no time! She looked at her watch 6am it read with extra time to spare she decided to walk down the beach one last time carrying her bucket in her right hand she began her walk back to the main beach. After this I’ll drop Nemo off at home and open up the shop! Hopefully we get some more customers today! There’s been some large fishing boats out in the water lately hopefully that means more visitors! She looked down at her new friend “don’t worry you’ll be swimming free again soon!” She scanned the edge of the water as she walked, there were two large boats out today. They were the biggest fishing boats she’d ever seen yesterday there had only been one. She didn’t know much about them they were too far out to read the writing on the sides but the nets they were dragging had to have been huge. They were right at the edge of the abyss and it looked like they were closer to the beach than the day before. She wondered what method of fishing they were using and what they were catching she didn’t know a whole lot about large fishing corporations but she’d heard of some of their practices being far from environmentally friendly. Maybe Elijah had some books about it in shoreside reeds she’d have to swing by the bookstore for lunch and maybe the Captain could shed some light on the topic too. Elaine continued to walk down the shoreline while lost in thought about the possible effects of the large boats and what they might bring.

Last edited:
(((The lyrics to the song Francis is singing are in the comments of the linked video, in case anyone wants to read them.)))

Francis: I had some time to kill before any of my classes started, and today was a day off from work, so I went by the beach for a walk. Few people were out this early, and even I wouldn't be if I hadn't been awakened by the end of a bizarre dream and unable to go back to sleep. And because of that crazy dream, I had Make and Break Harbor stuck in my head. I had a feeling that dream was influenced by the news of the unfamiliar trawlers by the shoreline.
As I walked along the beach, I figured nobody was around to complain about noise even at this hour and began to sing the
song.

Adrielle Lamura

mentions: Erik, Elaine ( Lilliana2 Lilliana2 )

The sun hadn't even risen and Erik was giving another one of his "safety briefs". His voice was drowned out as her mind wandered. What am I going to collect today? Maybe there'd be some pretty shells. Maybe some Aragonite? Is it dangerous in the deep sea? I can't drown can I- Her thoughts were interrupted by him finishing his sentence "-I will catch you all later!" The chief was always so enthusiastic. About safety. Not about anything else from what she could see. Speaking of which, she wondered if the chief of their clan had ever dated. He was pretty young but some leaders took their mates early. Her watch beeped as it hit 6:15. She let out a drawn out breath. The room was starting to clear out and she was just here like a fish on land. Which was actually pretty accurate. Why can't we just take back the territory? she wondered. She had no memories of the horrific war but she had heard it was brutal. Supposedly that was how chief lost his eye. Or so they said. She shook her head and brushed the pesky thoughts aside. Today, she was going to go in the water but then she was finally going to go to the Marine Emporium. She turned on her heel and headed straight out of the house towards the ocean.

The white sand squished beneath her toes as towards the blue water. The air was crisp but the day already showed signs that it'd be heating up. The welcoming water sent chills down her skin as she walked deeper and deeper until only her head was exposed. In a single moment her whole body was under. The world seemed to open up as everything came to life. Her caramel legs changed into the well known red striped variation of a lion fish. The light rippled down patterns on the seabed floor. Tropical fish darted in and out of crevices, eager to get their breakfast. She swam a little further to check out some shells. A couple of colorful painted shells lay around. Lucky! The shells were intact and they had beautiful swirling patterns on them. It would be even better had she had skills in being able to brighten their natural color but they would still sell for a fair price. Enough hopefully to hold her over until she got hired. That's right! I have to go there today! Her eyes widened as she remembered what she planned on doing at 8. She hurried towards home trying her best to flick her tail in powerful strokes. She wasn't fast by any means but hopefully she'd get there around opening.

After taking a quick shower and got dressed in a tank top and white shorts. She smoothed the braid in her hair along with the various beads with a brush before heading out towards the marine emporium. It took about 10 minutes to get there and by the time she got there the door was unlocked. A faded wooden board with the words: Now Hiring! stood in the window. Adrielle bit her lip and her brows furrowed. Just go in there Adrielle and ask the shop owner for a job! She thought and mouthed the words. humans are dangerous she thought to herself as she carefully took a deep breath and opened the door to the shop. She popped her head inside and looked right then left. It looked like there was no one here. Or maybe it was an ambush. She tried not to think about herself in a fish stew, her spines taken out and humans feasting on her. She gulped and stepped inside the shop before she could lose her courage. "H-hello? I was looking for a job and..." her voice started losing momentum. "I was wondering if you were still looking for people?" When no one answered she decided to wait until they came back and hunkered down in a chair. She kept her fingers on her phone so if someone decided to take her, her clan would know she had gone out valiantly.

Last edited:
Erik
Mention
Francis StrixDesmodus StrixDesmodus

Erik hopped in his sheriff truck and pulled out of the driveway to the bungalow. You had to drive down the beach a little bit before turning onto the main road. It was his favorite part of the morning seeing the sun come up with no interruptions. Just the waves and the sun. He missed the ocean. His real home there he didn’t need to follow human laws he could protect his people from others and they could all be content and safe. This is best. This town is safe. Suddenly he heard singing. It was some kid walking alone on the beach without a care in the world. He glared at the guy “hey guy just so you know you’re not supposed to be at the beach before sunrise. It’s a safety hazard.” It was a rule he had tried to enforce but it wasn’t for safety not the peoples anyway. “You’re lucky I don’t have time to write you a ticket and the suns about to be up anyways, but if I catch you here again...we’re gonna have a long talk. That’s a good song by the way.” Erik turned away from the guy and kept driving. He didn’t give him a chance to say his name but he wasn’t about to be less that 10 minutes early. 10 minutes early was on time for him and on time was late, and he was never late. He really hated being the bad guy and he didn’t want to ruin this guys morning but he didn’t need humans out there at the same time as his clan. Rules are rules.

Elaine
Mention:
Adrielle Thrushwing Thrushwing

After watching the sun come up Elaine rushed home to drop Nemo off. She put him in a bag to float in the water to acclimate to the temperature then set up a drip line for the waters PH so to not shock him. There was already some antibiotic medication in the water it gave it a strange slightly green hue but it helped the animals heal she looked in and went over all the creatures “All right everyone role call!” She announced to her patients “Dory! You’re tail is almost completely healed you’ll be out of here in a few days! Sebastian...I don’t know what to tell you man you’ve only got one claw so...yeah.” She felt bad for him he was probably not going out for a while luckily she had set the tank up so it had a bit of a sand hill for him so he could hang out for a while. “Sorry about you’re claw dude, you’re still cute though and of course Patrick you’re still short an arm bud...it’s there but just barely. She had no clue how long that would take her was her first starfish. She smiled before glancing at her watch 7:55 “Well guys since I’m the store owner I can open whenever I want! So I’m going to go cook some eggs and bacon! Elaine climbed the stairs up out of her basement and made her way to the kitchen pulling some eggs out of the fridge. OH NO there’s only one! Ugh why didn’t I get more eggs yesterday?! Elaine stopped and stared at the egg. There’s only one egg in this container with so many empty spots...kinda like how I’m the only one in that big ole store it’d be nice to have another employee. Didn’t someone call about coming in at 8? Elaine glanced at the clock above the stove 8:05. Oh my god! I’m late! Whoever that person isn’t gonna want to work for a late boss! No time for breakfast! Elaine rushed out the door, leaving the egg on the counter. She normally walked to work it was an easy 15 minute walk, but running she cut it down to 10 minutes. It was a bit past 8:15 when she got to the store. There was a young woman sitting outside. Elaine rushed to a stop next to her.
“Hi I’m Elaine owner of Marine emporium so nice to meet you!” She held out her hand she was still gasping for air. She forgot how much running sucked it felt like her heart was gonna jump out of her chest. I might need an ambulance if I don’t die of a heart attack the embarrassment is sure to kill me. She dropped her head to stare at the ground and put her other hand on her knee trying to catch her breath. While still holding her other hand out for a shake trying not to be too rude “Sorry I gotta catch my breath. Are you here for the now hiring sign?”

Maverick Romulus
"Maves"
156092644991678563 (2).jpg
mentions: Erik ( Lilliana2 Lilliana2 )

Maverick let out a breath he had been holding in. The bar which had been rowdy and full of patrons (which was unusual because normally there were only a handful of people in there) was now empty. Thankfully he hadn't stayed up all night, he had rested for a good amount after the people had left in the small room he built in for himself for resting. There were break rooms too of course, but barely any staff. Sleeping at his business was unusual as usually nobody ever stayed until the 2 am time. I need more help he thought. He placed a long stiff paper in the window. Tidal potions is hiring! the sign said. It was a bit too cheery for his liking but whatever attracted help. The seats had been turned up hours earlier and the silence was a comforting one, a quiet bar was always preferable atmosphere wise to a loud one. Still... he thought to himself and grimaced. The night hadn't been an easy one. In fact there were several brawlers in his bar but they happened to be the usual patrons arguing over the fact the pay hadn't been right. No the problem was some people who were staying the night. Looked like they had "business" here. But these people who tried to stay the night at the hotel were packing some pretty hefty guns and they based on their behavior it was a drug deal. He had kept his head down and got one of them by surprise and pretty much forced the men to leave his bar but no doubt they were probably roaming the town. Better go to the sheriff station he thought and he wiped the last glass and put it upside down on one of rungs. He wiped down the smooth wooden counter before locking it up securely. Especially considering those guys in my bar last night. There was a slight breeze as he stepped outside. It was early in the morning but somehow he didn't feel tired. His blue tacoma truck was parked right outside. It shook slightly as Maverick got in and turned the key in the ignition. It growled as it came to life and the gravel crunched as the tires rolled over them. He made his way to the sheriff station parking lot. It was about 10 minutes away, but most (unless they were townsfolk) wouldn't have known how close a sheriff station was to the bar. He parked in the lot and attempted to open the door. It didn't budge Hmm... Erik's not here yet. Maverick was more than 10 minutes early. Probably around 15. He checked his watch. Should be coming any minute now... He decided to wait in his car, figuring it wouldn't be too long before the sheriff arrived.

alex-prange-2.jpg

Last edited:
Francis: I almost swore at myself, a bad habit of mine, but I smiled at the sheriff's compliment. It was one of the few compliment
"Oh cr.... Uh.... Thanks!" I called to the sheriff. I'd probably have made conversation if he weren't in such a hurry. It wasn't quite sunrise yet, so I figured I'd play it safe and leave the beach.
As I wandered the town with little aim, my thoughts turned against me. I knew that from where I entered the beach, there were no signs of any kind that I could have read- Nothing but the sheriff's warning had told me that there was such a rule- But I felt like a reckless criminal nonetheless. I wasted a good ten minutes trying to to persuade myself that I was, in fact, innocent; Then Make and Break Harbor started to play in my head again. At first it frustrated me, but it was just what I needed to clear my head and humming it, I continued to walk down the sidewalk, not allowing myself to think of today's early transgression.
A merman with the nerves of a raw egg! Now there's something you don't often hear of.

Adrielle Lamura

mentions: Elaine ( Lilliana2 Lilliana2 )

Adrielle shot up as she heard footsteps going in her direction and rapidly growing louder. She typed in one of the numbers and was just about to press call one when her assailant stopped a few feet away from her.

At the woman with glasses' introduction, or Elaine as she was known, Adrielle felt most of the tension leave her body. Part of her senses wondered if this woman was the bait before a fishing gang would net her and sell her. Adrielle if you don't say something she's not going to hire you! she mentally chided herself and once again tried to summon up some courage. "I- y-yes." She debated giving the woman her nickname "Adri" which her clan called her. Which was strange because this was a human. Still to be safe she decided to go with her full name. "I'm Adrielle Lamura. Nice to meet you" she said as she stuck out a hand as a meeting gesture (wasn't that what humans do to greet each other?). When the woman remained bent over and breathing hard. "Are you okay?" Adrielle said lightly as she tried to awkwardly pat the woman's back. She ended up just patting the woman's shoulder as she tried to make sure she was okay. "I would love to work here! It's going to be my first job. I also had some decorations..." Her voice faltered at the last sentence and she carefully grabbed the colorful shells she had collected earlier in the day. She looked away from the woman and continued to speak. "E-even if I don't get hired, you seem to do good work... with the fishes. So I wanted you to have these." The first shell had a purple and white swirl pattern, while the second had a turquoise and white striped pattern.

Elijah
Elijah had gotten up early that morning. Five o' clock to be precise. He liked to go for a walk on the beach every morning before opening the shop. After taking some time to be by himself he eventually went back to Shoreside Reeds to open up. While just about everyone else was hiring, he wasn't. The job he had was low maintenance and he normally intimidated young ones too much for them to act up. This meant a clean, organized collection of books. Elijah took time to rearrange a few of the older books so they would stand out more than the newer ones. When he was done he sat down behind the counter, leaning back and kicking his legs up on a crate. His whole routine was clockwork. At his age there wasn't much else for him to do. The only sources of excitement he ever had were when James came by to visit, most of the time trying to get him involved in his mermaid hunting shenanigans, and the times he went to the bar after closing. But from what he had heard things were going to be shaken up with a big fishing company coming around. Something didn't sit right with him about the entire thing. And it wasn't just his old age catching up to him and making him grouchy.

Last edited:

Memphis

THE FAR SHORE
After Erik had finished his usual morning spiel to be wary of the humans they lived among, Memphis had gone to make his usual rounds, diving into the calm and cool waters of the early morning, his strong form darting into the water's glassy surface and morphing a broad pair of black and white wings on the sides of his torso with smaller fins where his feet would've been, a barbed stinger trailing behind. He glided and soared, manta ray wings beating the water and propelling him as though he were flying, his movement natural and unhindered. He secured the perimeter of the small territory they had to themselves after their old one was raided; he did this every day as the clan's warrior. He was not considered paranoid like Erik because unlike the potential threat the humans had, all the merfolk of their clan were witness to the dangers that laid in wait beneath the waves.

However there was no threat today; at least not directly. Memphis noticed that the fish that usually inhabited their territory with them were hiding in coral dens and under rocks, a great number of them traumatized, and a greater number of them missing; they all lived on the shelf of the cliff above the drop off, usually swarming with life. Memphis ventured a little further than usual, following a path of small desolate rock and coral hollows that were usually teeming with colorful exotic fish darting around and spindly urchins and crustaceans all overshadowed by dark shoals of slick grey grouper and bright parrot fish. Only the smaller reef feeders remained, restlessly darting into their little hidey holes, an anemone, or the sand itself.

Memphis came upon a large neon green deep sea fishing net billowing in the water, the missing school of grouper frantically trapped inside as it was being pulled back towards the dark blue silhouette of a fishing boat not far from his vantage point. Not only were the huge school of grouper caught in the net, other animals were tangled in it too; an octopus was squashed against the netting but was too large to slip through a hole, a flounder flailed for room against the school of dark black fish, crabs were clawing at the neon green notches of the net, and a stingray was fighting against the tangles in the rope.

Memphis darted for the net, grabbing it and pulling it in the opposite direction of the boat, giant aquatic wings beating against the pulley mechanism trying to pull the net up and onto deck. He learned to time his tugs with the rhythm of the crank of the net's reel, wings thrashing backwards as the net began to give, Memphis' grip on the net cutting into his palms. The fish in the net began to swim forward, helping Memphis pull the net back and with one last powerful wing beat, the net snapped free, whipping backwards from the pulley of the fishing boat, rocking the boat itself on the the surface of the otherwise calm water. The fish spilled out and barreled out from the net like torpedoes, darting away as fast as they could.

Memphis's hands were stained with the neon green of the net, and so were some of the fish that were pressed up against it, but he had no time to dwell on it. The fishing boat had gathered it's bearings and began to make it's way to the fallen net. He swam back the shore in order to steer clear of any curious fishermen, figuring he could investigate further on land. Maybe the bar would be a good place to pick up some information; he knew that fishermen frequented it often. He would probably have to come clean to Erik about his little exploit today, but not without mentioning the fishing boats closing in on their territory.

THE BUNGALOW & TIDAL POTIONS
He made it back to the bungalow and washed off, making sure he was fully dry before he got dressed in his usual outfit; a simple white t-shirt beneath a hand-me down bomber jacket and jeans. Afterwards, he wanted to scout out the bar on the way to the Sheriff's office; it was too early in the day for anyone to be there, but Memphis wanted to know the scope of the place before trying to infiltrate it. The exterior was worn but inviting enough; through the window, it looked a bit seedy, with intimate booths to share secrets and a long counter top to make banter. He noticed a flyer in the window advertising a job opportunity at the bar; Memphis made a note of it as a perfect opportunity to fit into the town and gather any info that might effect the clan. He knew the owner of the bar was a man called 'Maverick'; he hoped he would run into him today before someone else snagged the job.

THE SHERIFF'S OFFICE
On the walk to the Sheriff's office from Tidal Potions, Memphis examined the lime green dye staining his palms; it was blinding in the sun, and he remembered he could see it from far away, despite the depth and the distance between him and the net. It wouldn't come off when he washed his hands despite the many times he tried, and it was beginning to sort of burn with a staticky type of pain. He would have to get Adrielle to look at it later.

On arriving, he only saw a blue truck parked in the small lot in front of the office; looking into the office, Memphis noticed that Erik hadn't made it to work yet either. He resolved to wait and sit on the bench in front of the office for Erik to show up. It seemed the man in the blue truck was doing the same thing.

Lilliana2 Lilliana2 Thrushwing Thrushwing

Rowan

ON THE COVE
Rowan was absentmindedly chewing on her breakfast, one of her mother's blueberry muffins, to keep from gritting her teeth as she did her morning boat ride around the cove; her hands were in autopilot as she manned the helm, one hand on the speed lever and the other on the wheel, as her mind was busy being peeved at all of the fishing boats coming out of the blue to pollute and plunder her cove. She was currently tailing a double decker convertible fishing boat, having left behind a trail of empty aluminum beer cans, coffee cups, cigarette butts, plastic bags, and other unbiodegradable materials that didn't belong in the water. Rowan had scooped them all out of the water with a pool skimmer she kept on her cuddy cabin speed boat, The Siren, put all the trash in a garbage bag, and intended toss the bag of their trash onto their deck. It was that, or she would report them to the Sheriff, who would give them a fine upwards of $200. Usually they complied when she mentioned that part.

"This is the third one this week," Rowan muttered under her breath; it seemed that all the fishing boats that invaded her cove liked to leave trails of litter and trash in the water behind them. This boat had been the worst so far. She eased on the speed as she pulled up on the side of the taller boat, idling the Siren before she laid on the horn, beeping it a few times before pressing and holding her palm on it.

"What, whAT, WHAT, WHAT?!" yelled a strained and reedy voice; his mouth sounded dry like he had been drunk the night before. Rowan had the proof in a black plastic garbage bag. A man leaned over the side of the double decker; he was lanky and scruffy, wearing a stained grey Henley shirt beneath green rubber overalls. A portlier man came to his side and burped while wiping his eyes in the early morning light.

Rowan reached down and pulled up a megaphone.

"APPARENTLY YOUR MOTHERS NEVER TAUGHT YOU TO PICK UP AFTER YOURSELVES." She scolded through the microphone, her voice blasting straight at the two fishermen. "THIS IS ALL YOURS." She held up the bag of trash to show them.

"Who do you think you are, talking to two men twice your age about picking up after themselves? Who even let you out on the water, you little hothead? Don't you know redheads on boats are bad luck?" The fatter man mockingly chided while holding onto the straps of his overalls while the skinnier man chuckled beside him.

Rowan fumed, gritting her teeth, glaring while her fists were balling around her grip on the megaphone and the bag of trash. She had always hated that saying, "Redheads and the ocean don't mix; redheads on boats are bad luck; if there's a redhead on board, the boat is going down," and yadda, yadda, YADDA, but it followed her wherever she went - it was one of the 13 superstitions sailors kept dear to their hearts, and they were never afraid to point it out to her.

"BAD LUCK FOR YOU." She warned through the megaphone and deftly tossed the bag of trash into the arms of the fatter fisherman, who frantically struggled to catch it. "IF YOU DON'T THROW THAT OUT YOURSELVES, THEN YOU MIGHT AS WELL BE THROWING TWO HUNDRED DOLLARS INTO THE WATER."

The fat fisherman threw the garbage bag back at her, though he missed; it landed in the water, tearing open and releasing all the trash she had meticulously scooped out the water earlier.

"Oops." He said with a smirk. "We really appreciate your help, but I think we'll take our chances, sweetheart." The fat man mocked sarcastically. "That's not all of it anyways, ain't it, Rick? We lost a whole friggin net this morning. We think a shark tore through it or something," He said.

"Must've been a big one at that. Nearly flipped our boat over." The lanky man corroborated. "It's been happening to the other boats too. I bet it's Jaws, or his cousin or something. Or maybe it was the Kraken." He sputtered into laughter.

"Maybe if you find the net, it'll change our minds. I'm sure a little girl like you could pull up 200 of feet of netting by yourself, can't you?" The fat fisherman asked rhetorically in condescending baby speak. "You won't be able to miss it; it's bright green - it's supposed to be visible at any depth. They say the color literally stuns the fish, hahahahaha. I say, by the time you get it out of the water, we'll already be gone!"

The two men began laughing maniacally with one another as Rowan fought the urge not to ram their boat with hers until it flipped over.

"What was point of having it coated in that special dye if we lost it anyways? It sure cost me extra." The lanky man remarked.

"Shut the hell up, Rick. Go start the boat." The fat man ordered. He turned back to Rowan with a sneer. "Happy hunting, sweetie. Watch out for sharks and large squid!"

They had already sped off before Rowan could say or throw or harpoon anything at them. She just stamped her foot and let a growl that turned into a furious outcry.

"I am going to shove that stupid net into their grimy faces," She growled through her gritted teeth as she scooped out their trash from the water a second time, and then sped off to look for the net they had lost. The two must've been right idiots because Rowan found it almost immediately; they were only right about one thing: she did see it from a mile away.

The water above it was a shade of murky turquoise green, oils released from the dye swirling on the surface of the water while the net beneath still glowed reflectively as it released a sort of inky haze into the water. The fumes were noxious and made Rowan pull the collar of her shirt over her nose. Against her better judgement, she still was not daunted enough to pull off her clothes, slip on a pair of goggles, gloves, and diving gear, and dive into the water; she always wore a wet suit under her clothes in case she found something and it was pretty much her uniform for work.

Sinking deeper into the water, she found the next coiled in a pile on top of the sea bed, covering a small coral rock and a colony of reef feeding fish. Some of the fish were small enough to fit through the wholes in the neon netting, but the rest of the sea bed underneath was stained neon, and some of the fish were too. She reached for the knife she had holstered to her thigh and began carefully cutting the net where it had caught on rock and coral, surgically slicing up the net in smaller pieces that would be easier to bring up on deck one by one; she made sure to get it off the coral rock first, freeing the colony and hopefully clearing their environment. She then began transporting the pieces of the netting up on deck and on her last trip she caught sight of a stingray absolutely stained neon green; it was floundering and swimming oddly and helplessly against the ocean floor, thrashing side to side and even swimming upside down frantically. She noticed it was the same for the fish caught in the torn net; some of them seemed lethargic while floating upside down for a bit before darting out of its haze, while the rest seemed to be aimlessly darting back and forth in the water, even flinging themselves against rocks and each other.

"I have to bring Elaine here." She thought to herself; whatever those assholes had brought to the water, it was killing the fish and tainting the water. Bringing up the last piece of netting, she dove back down, this time with a harmless net gun to try and bring the most effected animal she had seen, the stingray, to Elaine for observation. She launched the underwater net gun at the frantic stingray, but did not let the rope tighten; she gave the stingray some slack and re-emerged towards the surface of the water slowly to encourage the stingray to swim upwards with her. Rowan let the green stingray float on the surface of the water in the net while she climbed onto the boat and prepared a transport cooler for it. She took the flat pool skimmer to lift and gently place the stingray into the cooler, and sped off to shore.

MARINE EMPORIUM
Rowan decided to stop by Elaine's before going to the Sheriff; the stingray needed immediate attention; she quickly toweled off and pulled her dry clothes on over her damp wet suit, red hair stringy and dark as it was still wet from her dive. She carried the cooler on her own, knowing it would be a smoother ride for the stingray rather than dragging it. She pushed the door to the Emporium open with her back, a little bell ringing to alert the shop owner of her presence.

"Elaine?!" She called before turning; she saw Elaine hunched over and breathing hard while another girl stood over her to comfort her. Rowan had never seen this girl before, but she seemed nice enough to let Rowan interrupt them.

"Sorry for interrupting, but Elaine; you need to see this." Rowan set the cooler on the ground in front of the two and opened it, revealing an extremely sickly, neon green stingray; it was barely moving now, just flapping its sides weakly.

Last edited:
Erik

Location sheriffs office

sly-eyed-lyra sly-eyed-lyra Thrushwing Thrushwing

As he pulled into the parking lot he instantly noticed Mavericks blue truck and Memphis. It was a good thing the office was so close to the bar, tourist and some new comers were the worst. He’d had more complaints that usual lately because of the new seamen in town. He didn’t consider them true sailors or fishermen they didn’t conduct themselves as such. He’d worked with fishermen from corporations before but they normally had standards and morals these men were different. As for Memphis him being there that was concerning he would have to speak with him in private to be safe. out of his truck and approached The two of them “Morning Maves, Memphis I need to unlock really quick. Walk with me and tell me what’s up Maves, Memphis whatever the issue is you’re helping me out with his problem first then we’ll talk” He needed to get him alone he gave Memphis the quick up and down to scan for anything out of the ordinary his eyes landing in his hands. He gave Memphis a look that said that can’t be good. He kept things short and to the point. He motioned for the two to follow him as he unlocked the front door and made his way to the office. He needed to check the voicemails. The night shift wasn’t the most reliable so normally people would leave messages for him in the morning full of complaints concerns and issues. It was always his top priority in the morning to make sure he understood everyone’s issues and he would have to have Maves fill out a quick form describing the incident and it would be easier to pick one up and have him fill it out at there bar after it was resolved whatever the issue was. The forms weren’t very official, he kept them more so he could keep track of the townspeople and keep and eye on patterns that could concern his family. There were three voicemails all complaints about the new arrivers luckily all of them had been resolved so he could head straight to the bar. He grabbed an incident report sheet and headed to the exit.

Elaine

sly-eyed-lyra sly-eyed-lyra Thrushwing Thrushwing

“No no I’m ok!” Elaine quickly pulled herself together. She glanced at seashells “thank you Adrielle these are beautiful!” She smiles “the work here is super easy you don’t need any experience it’s mostly cashier work and cleaning, follow me and I’ll show you how the store is organized!” Just as she was about to give Adrielle the tour Rowan rushed in with a cooler. Oh no. The store would have to wait. “Adrielle I apologize in advance this is really unorthodox but this guy isn’t going to make it if we don’t get in a quarantine tank.” Elaine grabbed the cooler “we need to take this guy back to my house it’s not far from here y’all follow me!” Elaine rushed to her home and took the cooler down to the basement she had a 50 Gallon quarantine tank just in case of these special situations. She slowly poured all the water with the stingray in it was just enough to cover fill the bottom then she set up two tubes leading from some remixed salt water to the tank to slowly add it so he wasn’t shocked by the change, normally she’d use one but the tank needed to be filled. He looked injured like he’d been squished or maybe stepped on and he had strange green markings. “He looks rough my most we can do is add fin repair and antibacterial solution to the water in cause any of his cuts are infected or anything and we can make the water more oxygenated so he won’t have to work hard for it and we’ll have to wait it out. The healing part is going to be all up to him.” She added a few air pumps “I’m so sorry Adrielle this is NOT how I planned our first meeting to go! This guy might not make it he’s in really bad shape.” Elaine finished her set up and stared at the ray the green marks were something she had never seen before. Something new and dangerous she would have to stop by shoreside reeds for information maybe the old captain would recognize the markings? She would have to speak to him but for now she needed info she turned to Rowan “where did you find him?”

Caliope Laylavie
Tetro Tetro
Cali awoke a little later than the others, almost missing their leaders daily meeting. She wasn't sure if she'd ever get used to waking up at 6am just to enter the water, but rules were rules. Her hair was still a tousled mess of lilac, obviously bedhair from this morning, as she munched on a piece of toast with strawberry jam. Lazily, she decided to let the water unweave her hair, as she quickly headed out to the sea. The ships had gotten closer, their size unmissable near the coast. It was rather concerning, considering she had heard of species going extinct due to getting accidentally caught in industrial fishing nets. But what could she do? She wasn't a politician. Sighing quietly, she let mind drift as she started to wade through the water with her arms and legs. Due to her large size, she only transformed once she was incredibly far from town. It was good for practicing swimming as a human, but still a little tedious.

After circling the currents for a while, just to embrace her aquatic side, she set to work closer to the seafloor. Whenever she saw an interesting piece of coral, or a brightly coloured stone, she would add it to her collection basket. Although recently, there had been less and less lively coloured coral. Was the overfishing affecting the ecosystem here? Her concerns grew, if only she could think of a sustainable way to help. Shaking the negative thoughts out of her head, she remembered that she had begun to lack ideas for accessories and projects. Perhaps looking at a design book would help? Realizing that it was almost 8 already, she quietly transformed and re-surfaced on the shore as a human, heading towards the bookstore.

'Shoreside Reeds' huh? She thought to herself, smiling a little at the pun. Entering the bookstore, she smiled and nodded towards the owner, a scruffy human with old-fashioned glasses. Most notably however, he had a scar running down his face, rather intimidating in appearance. She didn't have a bad first impression of him though, the way the books were dust-free and carefully organized told her that he was someone she should respect. Walking around the store, there were a few books that stood out to her, but there wasn't one that quite fit what she was looking for. "Excuse me, do you have any good design books for accessories here?" She asked politely, a little out of character considering her laidback persona.

Adrielle Lamura
eb070010b7ea4ab05554a0ce817c3f021.jpg
Mentions: Rowan sly-eyed-lyra sly-eyed-lyra , Elaine Lilliana2 Lilliana2

Adrielle eyes widened slightly as she saw the creature weakly flapping it's wings. Her hands itched and she wanted to reach out and touch the creatures fins. It was in pain, that much was obvious and she knew she could soothe it at the very least if she made physical contact with it. She glanced at the two females in the shop. It was fairly frantic and it seemed they were doing other things... She grabbed the small step stool that was by the tank and leaned towards the tank. humans are such terrible creatures she thought and then glanced at the two women. but maybe not these two...

"Why do people do this to defenseless creatures?" She murmured. She reached out for the neon green stingray and touched it's wing. Before anything had happened the first thing she noticed was the feeling coming from the green stuff. It permeated her skin and made her feel as if she took a dip in oil, not to mention the her skin felt as if it were being prickled where her hand was. She checked once again at the two humans, making sure the view was blocked by her body as warmth emitted from her hand. The smashed wing slowly puffed up and it looked less mangled than it had been moments earlier. It still looked bad but the little guy was definitely going to make it after a few months of healing. If only she had her seaweed wraps to bandage it..

Wait! Her bag had some of herbal coral. It would help with the initial healing process and make it less painful. She carefully put some of the red flakes from her bag on the Marine animal. Hopefully they won't notice.
She thought as she glanced around.

She stepped away and the pain started to come in. Her arm started to feel like it had intense bruising. It usually took a bit for the the patient experienced to transfer over to her. She winced slightly as her arm became tender over the course of minutes.

Last edited:
Elijah
Elijah sat up, noticing a young woman with a sort of silvery violet hair color walk into his store. He thought quietly to himself about how familiar her hair looked. It had a natural aesthetic to it that he had seen a few times before in his life, and only once where he knew for a fact it was natural. Putting his suspicions aside he answered her question about design books. "I have plenty. Only on the kind of accessories that have to do with the ocean and sea though." He stood up and walked over to a bookshelf, scanning through the books until he got to one that looked a bit more modern compared to the others around it. "This may suit your fancy. Since we're right by the water you should be able to find everything you need to make what's in this book." He handed the hardcovered book to the woman. On the cover was a picture of some corals and shells that had been made into necklaces and earrings.

"And if you catch one of the mermaids around here with scales you can use them to make one of the bracelets in this book." The tone in his voice made it almost impossible to tell whether or not he was joking. His expression hadn't shifted and he spoke very casually. While Elijah did know mermaids existed, he didn't let anyone know that, and pretended like he was pretending to believe in them. But, because of his poker face, if someone didn't know him better they would think he actually meant what he said.
MiraAutumn MiraAutumn

Maverick Romulus
alex-prange-2.jpg

Mentions Erik ( Lilliana2 Lilliana2 ), Memphis ( sly-eyed-lyra sly-eyed-lyra )
Maverick noticed the blonde haired man that was by Erik. Memphis was his name apparently. Maverick was just about the same height as Memphis though not nearly as muscular. It was clear that Memphis was a swimmer. He headed over towards Erik. "Hey Sheriff. I just wanted to report some suspicions about some newcomers around town." His voice which was was even more business than it usually was. "There were two males. One was lanky with bleached hair and the other one was stocky with some blonde hair. They were both in my bar last night." He ran a hand through his beard in thought. "Usually this wouldn't be a problem but both of them were packing some serious firearms. And neither of them looked like they had a license to carry especially considering the drug deal they were doing. They were both newcomers as none of the locals had anything to say about them." He cleared his throat, slightly nervous at what he was about to say. "Anyways I had to use some force to get them out of my establishment. Can't have drug deals going on at Tidal potions. But they didn't pay their tab (which cost a fortune) and they could still be in town. Either way I was wondering if you could help me track them down to get my bill without any fuss and to make sure no one gets hurt." He could probably take one of them on but he preferred not to deal with two armed aggressive men who felt slighted that he had kicked them out.

156092644991678563 (2).jpg

Last edited:
Caliope Laylavie
Tetro Tetro

She was expecting him to point her to a section, or something simple that didn't disturb his work, but to her surprise he listened to her question and answered it in detail, even rising from his seat to show her specific books. "Those would be fine, they would be perfect considering we're so close to the sea." She smiled innocently. Her speech was oddly fluent, as if it was a practiced phrase/act. "Oh, thank you, this looks perfect." She gave it a quick look over, tracing her finger tips against the smooth cover. Despite having travelled to many different places in the past, she was always surprised by the new, fascinating designs people came up with in completely seperate books, being one of the few things she got excited over. Distracted by her imagination, his next statement caught her completely off guard.

She jolted slightly at the sudden mention of mermaids, attempting to cover up her tracks with a small laugh. Although she had been in situations like this before, gossiping about rumours of merfolk, it had never been brought up to her so suddenly before. It was almost as if he was suspecting her. Looking up from the book cover slowly, a fake smile that didn't quite reach her eyes was plastered onto her face. "I'm sure I could use fish scales as a substitute if need be." She responded sarcastically, lacking enthusiasm. Calming down a little, she pondered before asking him. "Do you.. believe in mermaids? Or merfolk?"

LfDC12e.png

Everly DavidsonLocation: Tidal Potions
Time: 15 minutes before Maverick arrives
Outfit: 00
Tags: Maverick Thrushwing Thrushwing

With the city being more than two hours away from Crystal Cove, there were very few people willing to drive the distance. It took a lot of cute antics, but Everly managed to coax one of her old university friends into taking her all the way to her hometown. While she would have been more than capable of driving herself, the young woman ditched her car years ago upon moving into the city. There was too much traffic so driving in there was pointless. At that point, her car's only purpose was to empty her bank account due to bills that kept piling up for its maintenance. Of course, Everly would have loved to keep the old thing due to it being her first major purchase after all those years working as a teenager. However, she knew some things had to go, especially now that she older and more money-conscious.

She must have fallen asleep because when she opened her eyes, the scenery outside had changed. There weren't any clustered houses or questionably dirty parking lots. Instead, there was only road, trees, and the vast ocean to her left. Everly found herself gazing out the window, one elbow propped on the door's arm rest, as her brown doe eyes squinted towards the sun. The light reflected off the water beautifully, painting it a blue that could make a person feel a sense of adventure. She felt herself smile even though there was that very faint, painful pinch in her chest.

"I can't believe you made me drive all the way over here. Now we won't be able to see each other for a year."

"Stop." Everly let out a quiet, soft laugh that could make a person feel warm and fuzzy inside. "You're acting like you can't come and visit me."

Her friend, Madeline, let out an annoyed sound as she shook her head. The blonde said something under her breath, which only caused Everly to giggle even harder. Madeline was always a complainer, and the way she glued herself to Everly's side was undeniably adorable. They'd been together ever since they were stuck as partners their Freshmen year for an end of semester video project. During a bad encounter with some troubled teens, Everly somehow saved the day and Madeline never left the other's side since.

"Well, we're here." Madeline announced as they passed a white wooden sign that read 'Welcome to Crystal Cove!'

Everly immediately sat up straighter as she looked ahead, passing all the colorful buildings new and old. She had mixed feelings about the small beach town. It was a place where she made many friends, learned how to love others, and learned how to love herself again. Unfortunately, it was also a place where some of her worst memories were. That day eleven years ago changed everything and she'd never been the same since. For years, she'd asked herself why she was the only one that lived and why she was left all alone. A lot of the older folks she cared for while growing up told her it was the mermaids. They said they must've taken pity on the poor girl, but Everly knew it was all folktales and the older generation messing with the younger. She'd come to the conclusion that she was just lucky so surely that was the case. Surely.

"You can stop here."

The car came to a stop in front of a small building. It was a bit old in appearance, but it gave Everly a sense of nostalgia. She remembered spending three of her summers working at Tidal Potions, running around while trying to get people their orders. It was tough being a server, but it was worth it. Working there helped her really love herself again and she wouldn't exchange that experience for anything.

After waving her friend off, Everly dragged her two suitcases and duffel bag towards the door. She'd doubted it would be open, considering the interior was rather dark. Peeking through the window, she'd noticed here were still some cups and trash laying around, and she could help but let out a deep sigh. Leaning back, there were even signs of dust on the windowsills and grime growing on the glass itself. A small frown formed on her face as she backed away and gave the place a look over.

"Maverick has really let it go, huh..." Everly mumbled to herself, looking around to see if his blue truck was anywhere within view. Instead of coming across the Tacoma, she noticed the hiring sign instead. Feeling her the corners of her plump lips curl up slightly, she let out a small "Aha" sound before sitting on the bench outside. She didn't know when Maverick left or when he'd come back, but she knew she didn't want to go home yet. Her parents didn't know she was taking a year off, and she didn't want to deal with their gushing. Everly loved them dearly, but they knew how to take things too far sometimes. She especially didn't want to go back to her birth parent's home, which she was gifted for her college graduation by the Davidsons. She'd never stepped in it once ever since she was 11 and a part of her knew she'd have to go back in there the next time she returned to Crystal Cove. The longer she could hold that off, the better.

Elijah
The way she spoke and her hair made Elijah mildly suspicious. Maybe she was just one of those young people with the weird trends and fashions or however they called it these days. But her words in response to his mermaid comment, and the question following after, brought Elijah back to that dark and stormy night.

'Help. Help someone please I can't swim. My legs are caught.' Elijah hesitated. The words made him want to run to the flailing arms and head poking out of the water. But the tone caused him to feel a level of unease he hadn't felt before. Like the person were fake. Hell, they were barely loud enough for him to hear. Nevertheless, he couldn't let the ocean take anyone on his watch. It was thanks to lady luck he had brought along his father's favorite knife that night on his walk. The next thing he knew he was in the cold salty water, rain pouring and thunder booming. In seconds he was at the man, knife ready to cut at whatever was keeping the pour soul below the water. Grabbing at the man's legs he felt something rough. Before he could do anything else he felt the man grab onto him.

Elijah blinked, returning back to the shop before taking a breath and clearing his throat. He stared at the woman. Her expression, her tone, it was too similar. She was one of them. Or, at least, she had to be. There were many ways to find out that he may try. Doubt lingered anyways. "What do you think gave me this?" He pointed to the scarring on his face, answering her question with the insinuation that it was a merfolk that caused it. "I don't hold any hard feelings towards them though. There are bad eggs everywhere. Why do you ask? Are you one of them? You've certainly got the look."

MiraAutumn MiraAutumn

Caliope Laylavie
Tetro Tetro

Whilst Cali was recovering from the sudden stress placed upon her, she noticed the bookshop owner seemed to drift off suddenly, lost in his thoughts for a moment before returning to staring her in the eye. His suspicions were as clear as day now, the warning bells in her mind desiring to run away from this place, but she knew that would just confirm his suspicions. "Haha, no of course not. Mermaids are just a fairytale aren't they? You're a funny guy." She smiled and chuckled derisively. "I was just asking since you brought them up so suddenly." She dismissed the subject, the calm expression on her face threatening to crack. It was lucky that she was usually a laidback character, even in times like this, it helped her keep her relative cool. The words she spoke sounded far more natural than her actions. Her hands shook as she pretended to briefly browse the other books, before concluding her presence here. "How much for this book? I can't seem to find the price tag." She asked calmly, seeing as he was right beside her.

Memphis

ON ROUTE TO TIDAL POTIONS
Memphis nodded at Erik's instructions and listened to the barkeep he was hoping to run in to explain the situation as he followed behind the two men, Erik and Maverick himself.

"I was actually hoping I'd run into you today," Memphis interjected. "I saw that you were looking for new hires when I passed by on my way to the Sheriff's office this morning. It sounds like you could use some muscle. I'd be happy to help. I'm Memphis. Memphis Quincanon." He thought to shake Maverick's hand, but remembered that it wasn't a great idea considering they were festering and stained green. He just gave a slight nod.

Rowan

ELAINE'S
"I was trailing this boat for trashing the water and they said they lost a net; I found it a few miles out from the far end of the cove. I need to take you back there. It's not just this ray, but the fish too. I got the rope out of the water but I don't know how long it was out there before I found it," Rowan explained to Elaine. "The water had already been tainted long enough to reach the surface. I couldn't even breathe in the fumes. I'm afraid it might even spread to the coral. The fish were acting the same way as this ray, like they were losing control of themselves."

Rowan though for a moment, trying to remember something that taunting fisherman had said.

"One of those guys, he said the net was dyed neon green and the color 'stuns the fish'. I think he wasn't joking." Rowan realized. She hurried back to the quarantine tank, wanting to observe if her theory was correct.

The stingray in the tank finally seemed at peace and even looked a little better, though his recovery was astonishing. She noticed that the girl Elaine was talking to was wincing a bit, and her arm was wet.

"Are you alright? Did the ray try to jump out?" Rowan asked the girl. Rowan handed her a nearby towel off of one of Elaine's tables. "I'm sorry for never introducing myself by the way. I'm Rowan."

602792Location: Shoreside Reeds
Interaction: Tetro Tetro MiraAutumn MiraAutumn
Mentioned: Lilliana2 Lilliana2 (Erik)
Outfit:
It was a real shame those fishing boats were on the water. In all the past five years of here living in Crystal Cove, Eleni had never once missed a day in the water. Sure, waking up early and having to listen to Eric remind them about the safety tips all of them knew already or at least should know already. Everyone else seemed to be fine swimming in the morning, just keeping an eye on those death traps, but Eleni was spending a lot more time on dry land than she wished. Hunters, or fishermen, or whatever you wish to call them were the reason she never left the water in the past, and now, they were going to be what kept her out of it. It was easy to say that Eleni wasn't happy about it, but there was nothing any of them could really do. In their true forms, most humans didn't stand a chance against them, and in their human forms, they had to be careful. Ultimately, for the moment, all of their hands were tied.

After listening to Erik, Eleni went about her morning routine, one that usually wouldn't be done until later in the day after a swim, but once again, she was staying out of the water for a while. She ate breakfast, showered, and got dressed before walking into town. Walking into town wasn't what she normally did, but she had to pick up the payment from Daniels, the guy she had been helping out the last few days with some maintenance around his shop. A fishing store, but he was an okay guy who was also feeling something about those new boats. She liked the walk, it was pretty and didn't take her too long, about twenty minutes on foot. If she was quicker she could have asked Erik for a ride, but she still felt like she was covered in oil. Not Daniels fault entirely of course, but by God that dude was clumsy.

Upon entering his shop, she knew he was there based on the snoring permeating the air. Eleni sighed softly, gently shaking her head. Of course, he had fallen asleep. She effortlessly weaved her way through his shop to the main desk in the back, coming upon the sleeping man reclined in his office chair. Once again, she sighed, reaching out to gently smack his leg. "Éla, up old man!" She told him, a playful hint to her tone. He slowly opened his eyes, confused for a moment before reading it was her and reached into the desk to grab a small stack of twenties. She counted them, before giving him a nod and turning around to leave the way she came. "Chaire, Daniels, you know how to find me if you need more help."

Once she left his shop, Eleni didn't know what to do. She could go and see if Erik needed any help, or if there was any work to do down at the bar. Or maybe...with her choice made, Eleni began walking to Shoreside Reeds. Crystal Cove was full of interesting characters. Some of which she stayed away from due to their quirks, though nobody was really outright dangerous. At least, nobody she had met so far. The walk to Shoreside didn't take her long, much like the walk into town. When she entered, Elijah was helping out Cali, probably there for...actually she wouldn't know what Cali would be there for. The two of them didn't really get the chance to talk in depth yet. Anyway, she began her wandering away from them, her eyes drifting through the books with no clear goal in mind for what she wanted until a book bound in green caught her eye.

Among all the English letters, the Greek words stood out like a sore thumb, but remainder hidden all at once. Her fingers gently traced it, pulling it out to read when she heard a certain comment from the old man that made her skin crawl. Making accessories out of mermaid scales was something people use to hunt them for, at least that's what her grandmother told her. She was going to stay out of it, but Cali sounded like she may need some help, so without really thinking and book in hand, Eleni went to go find the pair. "Wow, a scar from a mermaid, how exciting," Eleni said casually as she took a place next to Cali. "Must have had really sharp teeth." There was a hint of sarcasm, or maybe a hint of her joking, but her attention quickly turned to Cali. "Goodmorning κούκλα, find a good book?"

Elijah
Elijah turned his head as he heard the comments of another woman. Her sarcasm made Elijah crack a tiny smile. His smile went away as quickly as it came though. "It wasn't his teeth that cut me. It was his tail. The closest thing I could describe it is..." He walked over to a section where there were the children's books, taking one out specifically and setting it on top of the book that was already in Eleni's hand. On the cover was a picture of a Thresher Shark, "this." After addressing the new woman he turned his attention to the other, smiling and finally stating, "you're right, they are. But it's always fun to pretend. Especially for the little ones. They love mermaid stories." When she asked about how much the book cost he just waved his hand. "Take it. I couldn't charge such a polite young lady." Elijah turned his attention to the Greek girl, taking the shark book back once she had gotten a good enough look. He pointed to the book she was holding, his tone not as pleasant or kind towards her. "That book is fifteen dollars. Cash only." He walked back behind the counter.

He had plenty of interactions with people like her. And he wasn't one to just buckle under the sarcasm or cold attitude of others. Elijah stared plainly at the Greek girl, "but please, take time to browse more. I have more in the back if you're looking for something specific."
MiraAutumn MiraAutumn FireMaiden FireMaiden

Erik

Location leaving sheriffs office
Thrushwing Thrushwing sly-eyed-lyra sly-eyed-lyra

Erik sighed and looked to the side contemplating the best way to approach Maves situation “ok...I’ll need you to fill out a description form to keep on record. Chances are they’ll come back to the bar tonight to try to start a fuss with you plus you’re the only bar in town and I’m sure these guys need their liquor. I’ll be there to intervene.” He grinned “I also get one free drink tonight since you owe me.” Erik didn’t joke much but Mave always seemed like a nice guy and Erik loved a good scotch. Humans weren’t good but they could make some great drinks. Erik glanced at his watch it was somehow already 10. “Let’s head to the bar so you can show me exactly what all went down, I’ll take my truck Memphis you can ride with me.” He needed to get him alone “We’ll meet you there Maverick” Erik said as he climbed into the drivers seat. As soon as Maverick was out of earshot he turned to Memphis “Tell me what happened and why are your hands green?” He started up the truck. The drive to tidal potions was short but Erik figured it would be just enough time for Memphis to explain what had happened.

Elaine

Thrushwing Thrushwing sly-eyed-lyra sly-eyed-lyra

Elaine took in the information Rowan has just given her, fish were not as hardy as stingrays chances are they were already all dead by now but maybe a few had made it but she also needed to be at the shop she was torn on going out to the ocean. As much as she wanted to save the fish if any had survived she also needed to make some money today and she was angry at the news of the fishermen’s behavior how could they use such cruel methods? Maybe the store could to wait. “Ok I can go with you but it has to be quick so we can take my car.” She looked at Adrielles arm she looked hurt had it been hurting before? “Adrielle I hate to ask you to do this but I think it might be best for you to wait at the store, if you’re arm is hurt I wouldn’t want to risk you hurting yourself more. The trip out and back should be less than 30 minutes. I can grab you an ice pack and some Advil for you to have in the shop with you to help you feel better. If you want?” Elaine didn’t want to just abandon Adrielle but the longer they stayed the less fish would make it out alive.

Last edited:
602825Location: Shoreside Reeds
Interaction: Tetro Tetro MiraAutumn MiraAutumn
Mentioned: N/A
Outfit:
Thresher Shark. She cocked an eyebrow, looking down at the book full of information she already knew. Him getting attacked by one however, one of her people, almost made no sense. She knew that her clan in Greece was the only thresher shark clans, the others had either been hunted or died off in cooler waters trying to avoid humans to any extent. "Then all I can say, mermaid or not, you're lucky you didn't lose something more important than your eye. Their tails can cut fish in half, though I'd say a shark like that would be rare around here, water isn't warm enough." That was true for the normal sharks, mersharks had a little more leniency when it came to where they could live, so maybe his story had some truth to it after all. Or, he could just be faking it and got the scar somewhere else. Anyway, he took the shark book back, briefly turning his attention to Cali, before turning back to Eleni.

"I see the game you play old man, " The woman chuckled, withdrawing a twenty from her most recent payday of that very same morning, and handed it over. "Keep the change, it's one hell of a deal. But, next time, you may want to authenticate your books from another language, " She said this tapping the spine of the one in her hands, before opening it. "Because this my dead friend is a rather old, original text, copy of Homer's The Odyssey. Quite rare, Malaka, some of these letters aren't even used anymore. You can almost never find these, not unless they're worth a fortune of course." She gave him a slight smile, looking up from the soft yellowed pages. "How fortunate sea creatures are still a very big part of this story, didn't even break the theme of your store!" Another slight smile, Eleni moved some hair back over her shoulder, closing the book. "I think I will look around a little more, my bookcase at home needs some new editions. Chaire Cali." The woman had done what she wanted to, making sure the newest member of their clan was okay, Eleni now went back to wandering the shelves.

Last edited:
Caliope Laylavie
Tetro Tetro FireMaiden FireMaiden

"Oh, I didn't see you there, good morning Eleni." Cali gave an internal sigh of relief at the entrance of her fellow clan member, a scout nonetheless. The confidence boost of having a companion allowed her to return to her usual laidback nature. "Yup, I found an interesting little design book right here. If you have something you'd like me to make for you, feel free to give me a shout." She smiled at her fellow mermaid, hoping to show her appreciation for the backup. As she spoke, she showed her some of the various illustrations on the cover, in case Eleni liked the look of any of them. Returning her attention back to the shopowner, she chuckled at his words. "Kids will always love chasing after fairytales." She added to his carefree comment. However, his next reply to her question bewildered her. "It's free?" She asked out loud in doubt. "But it's such a well-made book, there's no way it wasn't expensive." She argued back decisively. This sudden charity from a stranger did not sit right with her. Moments later, he mentioned that Elenis book cost fifteen dollars, confusing her even more. Was she getting special treatment as a new resident? Visible question marks were written all over her face. All of a sudden he was polite again, perhaps he had a slight past with Eleni? There were too many questions to be asked here.

As Eleni began discussing book histories and the authentication of languages with the bookstore owner, Caliope took that as her cue to leave her little detour, waving towards them both in a friendly, relaxed manner before heading elsewhere. She wanted to find a nice quiet place to craft accessories, and after wondering about a bit, she decided on the sandy seashores. She sat herself down on the opposite end of the beach to the intrusive boats, avoiding their loud behavior, whilst being calmed by the sight of teal-blue waves.

Elijah
Elijah waved to Caliope as she left. Turning his attention now to Eleni, he just shrugged at her mentioning of the book. "A family friend gave that book to me as a gift. It is a family heirloom. The man was Greek on his mother's side. Before passing away he wanted me to add it to my collection. Every book you see here was gifted to me or donated. I know the exact value of every single page in my store. I don't do what I do for the sake of money." He stood up, kneeling down to pick up a large crate that was hiding behind his desk. "I have two more copies of that book, as well as a copy of The Argonautica. It isn't an original but it is quite old, and in Greek." He opened the top to reveal stacks of old hardcovered books inside. "The game I play, young lady, is one I would be willing to teach if you were interested in learning how to participate." Elijah smirked ever so slightly at her, "it would also mean complete access to my library."

He hadn't met anyone like this girl before. She was a character indeed. While he was no stranger to interesting people, none stayed for long since the majority were tourists, and the natives of this small town were rather two dimensional in his eyes. She looked like she had almost as many secrets as Elijah. It intrigued him greatly.
MiraAutumn MiraAutumn FireMaiden FireMaiden

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back