• When posting, please be aware that artistic nudity is still nudity and not allowed under RpNation rules. Please edit your pictures accordingly!

Remember to credit artists when using work not your own.

Digital Cres' Character Design Art and Rants

Cresion Breezes

Beta Tester of Life

This is where I put my RP related art, usually character designs for all my past RPs.
Plus my incoherent rant about their design directions and decisions, things I want to improve for "this character 2.0" etc.
It's overall very mundane, feel free to not look at it.

I have a habit of giving my characters "epithets" that don't mean much but just sound cool. It'll be formated like this probably:
Character Name
"Epithet"

Whatever description goes here.​

Last edited:
Well this took a while to organize all the character art I have, it's about 50+ images so far but sometimes I have multiple drawings of one character or multiple characters from the same setting/RP/are related in some way so I'll group it up to avoid huge spamming on this thread.

I'll start off with some NPCs and GMPCs for one of my earlier RPs, Polaris. It's a sci-fi setting that is set on a planet covered in a giant mechanical shell, and humans regularly go on expeditions into the depth of the machine to search for ancient lost technologies, some of them granting them special powers. But there are also hostile robots and automatons set out to exterminate organic life. Overall it's very BLAME!-like.

Nexian Allure
"Mechanical Purgatory"
First NPC I designed and sort of the poster boy of the setting, he has the power of pseudo clairvoyance against machines, it's technically a simulation power that allows him to preemptively run combat simulations against hostile automatons. Sounds useful but it was really not meant for human use, as a result, he had died countless deaths in simulated combat situations to the point where he has trouble differentiating reality from simulations. But he is quite cheerful and tries to keep his spirits up, due to having suffered so much in simulated realities he cherishes other people and things that are "real" a lot. Sort of a metaphor for the message of the entire post-apocalyptic setting, I think that's why I made him the poster boy.
7wczoUIl.png
W6JgBAnl.png

Mavi Eskanight
"Nightcrawler"
She is one of those "badass normal" types of characters, since this is a world where superpowers exist I put some care into crafting NPCs that don't have powers. Mavi is a caravan driver, she has a cool vehicle known as the "Nightcrawler" that gets fired out of a linear accelerator to traverse great distances. I tried very hard to balance the badass and the mundane in a lot of my characters, since if you boil it down she just drives the PCs around, but I wanted to make her seem cool regardless.

h192jqnl.png

Halley Friedmann
"Artificial Naturalist"
He is named after Edmond Halley and Alexander Friedmann, which should mean something but I forgot what exactly. He is an "auxiliary", which in this setting are people who exist as consciousness in machines, but they are still based on a human's "personality matrix", so not exactly mind upload and not exactly full AI, kind of in-between. Halley was dug up as a framework without any identification or memories of the human he was, but he has the power to duplicate his own consciousness into 512different strands. He was quite challenging to write due to the whole duplicate consciousness thing, but I thought he was a fun character. His backstory is actually quite tragic, but it's not like he remembers any of it.
ZjcBh1ql.png

Enna Shuu
"Prodigium"

She's a magical girl that's also a wage slave corporate worker, yes, those things are combined. Enna is a prodigy in magitech development, but an experimental accident caused her to be critically wounded and now relies on magic to sustain her life. Without sufficient mana supplies, her life support system won't work, which is why she works for a monopolistic mana corporation now. Her magical girl from turns her life support system into gauntlets and hoverboards, but it has a countdown timer since exhausting her mana means she'll die.

One of the earlier characters I've designed, so her outfit is a little, wack. Asymmetry for the sake of it is always a favorite of street wear designers so I thought why not.

DiNs4e8l.png
kNi1pjQl.png

Weapon Concept
GJE9PyFl.png

Orion Bliss
"Stargazer"

A soft-spoken former NASA scientist who exposed his incredibly volatile technomancy powers by singlehandedly stopping a satellite from crashing into the atmosphere. He was conscripted into something later because of that power, but as a deal he gets to operate his personal military satellite "Minvera". It was pretty cool to play a character who's power is literally "suborbital bombardment". Oh yeah his ancestors were Nazis from that time the US imported a bunch of German scientists for the space race, so there's also that deal.

I sort of leaned into the cliche "introvert" design, scarves, lab coat, high collars to bury your face in, nerd merch like the NASA pin. He always looks tired not because of the nerd archetype, but because he literally never sleeps as his superpower allows him to only sleep with half of his brain at once, you know, like a dolphin.

UAQ25HV.png

sHyBZn2l.png

Last edited:
Kenjou Hayashi (剑城 林)
"High-Fly Viper"

This is my World Trigger OC, and to keep it in line with the show I tried to make someone ordinary but with enough quirks and characteristics to be memorable. He is on a team with his sister and two childhood friends, and began flying solo after his teammates all went to college.

Fashion was a little challenging since I also tried to keep it in line with the original series, uniforms were generally very simple but also thematic to a squad's combat style, so I chose pilot/flight attendant as the uniform theme. As for casual wear, I tried to do something fashionable but realistic, but looking back at it it's sorta weird, not like genshin impact levels of weird but not really realistic by any sense.

Casual/Uniform
xdtubfsl.png
v00Sfo9l.png

Altair
"Prankster User"

A Pokemon OC, an aspiring steel type trainer who ran away from home because his older stepbrother bullies him too much. His trusty Klefki with the prankster helped me metagame hard a lot of battles. Since this is a Pokemon OC for a more traditional Pokemon setting, he's more or less okay in personality, maybe throw in a little bit of the "jerk rival" type.

I originally tried to do Pokemon art style but the me in the past was too immature for something like that, now that I know how to do it I've been just reserving it for crossover fan art...I added some very Pokemon details, since his backstory was that he came from Unova I added the kanji for "Unova" as a graphic on his sleeve, the steel type symbol on the other sleeve, and the first three Unova badges on his belt.

He pulls down his goggles when he is serious about catching Pokemon, just like Ash with the hat.

PKxWySfl.png

Elysian
"Seeker of Elysium"

Another small Pokemon child OC for a world that's basically the vanilla Pokemon universe. He's from the Orre region so it's a little rough, he didn't have Pokemon for a long time and instead carried around a rock insisting it's a Pokemon. Unlike in Insurgence though it's only a Minior, better than nothing. He almost got kidnapped by a Driftloon but the rock was too heavy, so now he has two Pokemon, all's well that ends well, and he's technically a flying type trainer now.

Like the others he has a few Pokemon-ish details too, although since he comes from a region with not a lot of symbolism I chose the silver wing that's hidden in the bunch of pins on his jacket.

Ye52JLvl.png

Lorrian
"Shadowed Wings"

Another flying type trainer, since whenever an RP wants monotype I go with flying since it's the most versatile in terms of available Pokemon. Lorrian is also from Orre and he has a shadow Skarmory that he can't figure out how to deal with, even after moving to another better region trying to battle with that Skarmory caused him a serious injury. He met his Sigilyph while almost dying after falling off a cliff, it takes care of him with its psychic powers.

A bit of a sickly character, but a little fancy since the region he went to was Kalos. On his lapel I put the rainbow wing, as he wants to meet and ask it Ho-Oh to heal him and his Skarmory some day.

7iOhU02l.png

Last edited:
Igarashi “Emie” Enjirou {五十岚 “エミー” 英辞郎}
"Shotgun Fairy"

A SAO/GGO OC, a former ALO player turned GGO player that got a smol avatar and uses duel shotguns alas the Terminator. He is skilled at aerial shots due to his ALO experience, and perfers to play big but risky.

I watched the GGO anime, the one that the writer of Kino's Journey wrote not the mainline one, and it was actually fairly interesting with some cool stylish designs. It reveals that you can dye your stuff so I went with sky blue since it's camouflage. This is also where I began to incisively scribble down my design concepts and details on the image itself.

IRL Character
ItGhuQal.png

Ingame
PafYkp3l.png

vV7S9d9l.png

Ena Lavenderdew
"Lavender Overdrive"

A fairy who's like 9 inches tall for a fantasy-ish RP, she's basically a monk and despite being 9 inches tall can turn herself into an ICBM and make a target into fine red mist. I was never a huge fan of traditional fantasy and I think her design really reflects that, it's still sort of modern or even sci-fi. She uses tonfas, but in hindsight I don't think I should've given her a weapon because she's 9 inches tall. Her design is based off of a very pink brawler girl from the game Elsword named Laby, it's always interesting to me to see something cute being very very violent and unaware of it.

nrY47O2l.png

Daemon Lavenderwind (&Valfar)
"Lavender Mirage"
Daemon is a fairy illusionist who has an illusionary human body, as well as Ena's "older brother" sort of, since fairies in this world are just born from the elements like plants and shit. They just came from the same lavender plant. He hangs out with a fallen demon noble named Valfar because of some accident and they have a pact now, but they're good friend and are on good terms. Valfar isn't really excited about doing demon stuff or being evil, but he was sealed away at some point because of stereotypes, Daemon is trying to unseal him since he's a good friend.

He's a fairy so I wanted something nice and magical but also edgy because of the demon buddy, I kind of just copied some weapons from final fantasy's black mages and called it a day. I'm not great at designing fantasy looking stuff at all.

XYUOydRl.png

5zW8mCYl.png

True Body
1SoJyN8l.png

Concepts
RwSni9ul.png

Last edited:
Nathaniel Tollens
"Vlogger Hero"

Nathaniel is a superhero with the power of solidifying light, he came from a rich and sketchy family but got really into this robin hood phase and did the steal from the rich (ie his family) and give to the poor thing. Although he is more passionate about making youtube videos than heroing, he still tries to do his job. There's a running joke that he's super book dumb and that's why his family doesn't want him anymore.

One of the first characters I did with the "power change your hair colour" thing, his hair colour goes from blue to white as he expends more of his...energy or something? idk it seemed like a fun idea at first. I also drew the first draft of him like 5 years ago and surprisingly enough he didn't change much in the redesigns, unlike most of my characters.

nccRLXxl.png

akeLl6p.png

First Art
xTTOUNJl.png

Enichi Mori (森 恩一)
"Owns a Knife Roomba"

Enichi is an ambiguously gendered engineer for a comedy RP who works at a local restaurant while unknowingly repairing damages left from yakuza skirmishes in the area. They use a nail gun as an improvised weapon and has a history with drug dealers from Taiwan, but is a very effective at repair. Spends all their money on weird shit for engineering projects like a cotton candy machine.

Since it was a casual RP I went with a very casual type of art where I just drew what came to mind regarding the vibe of the character. I think I did nail the ambiguously gendered part since the players were very 50/50 on whether Enichi is a boy or girl. I think it's the glasses that really gives of the Hange Zoe style.

o0FNkzv.png

Cp8BbWul.png

Amagiya Kagehito (天城屋 影人)
"Temporal Crystalline"

A magical girl who has to replace her brother by pretending to be a boy and became student council president of an all boy's school. I'm pretty sure there's a pretty cure with this backstory so it's allowed.

Her magical girl element is crystal so I leaned into the previous minerals and clockmaking aspect of it, I didn't really think much about the designs and that's why they seem so bloated I suppose. I subconsciously did the dark blue colour theme due to Naoto Shirogane.

oYL85F4l.png

Magical Grill Form
DenV1kNl.png

Amagiya Kageji (天城屋 影辞)
"Phantom of the Night"

The afore mentioned brother that had to be replaced, because he ran away to America to become a broad way actor. He's supposedly very good at singing and extremely dramatic, but he's sort of a side character I never got to play much.

I put a lot of Phantom of the Opera references when I wrote him, but the design was honestly not too substantial, I tried to make him look like his sister but smaller, sort of an art gremlin type.

fNpRygml.png

Louise Thornton
"The Philosophy of Whatever"

Louise is a philosophy professor that is too young to be a convincing professor but too old to relate to the students, he was a medical school drop out turned political philosophy major because his parents became anti-vaxxers. As a result he is mega disillusioned about everything and has the general attitude of scrolling through memes and wait until the world dies. Oh yeah he's from an isekai RP so like, he does get magic at some point but we never decided what.

It was hard to actually design a character fulled up with yolo energy.

DLX3UZel.png

Iniji Irokei (色系 異虹)
"Heterochromatic Execution"

BnHA OC, and very likely the most edgy OC I've made, I'd like to think I played him well and nuanced through out the RP though. Iniji is a former assassin for a villain organization who had a change of heart and began to hang out with some third year hero students while trying to fight off his nightmares. His quirk is overpowered as fuck, letting him slice through any boundaries between two different colours, resulting in pretty much an insta-kill ability only held back by his crippling PTSD.

As he was a character from a longer running RP he as a lot more art, including redesigns and stuff, but I always had a few things in mind like how his eyes are incandescent and difficult af to draw. He's had multiple redesigns and alternative outfits made as he slowly climbed out of depression and self loathing.

W1TSUDll.png
AKThBuQl.png

9nGAGYpl.png

gQtt34bl.png

First Concept
znO1bjFl.png

His older sister, Myosai
NNfWkUal.png

Amon Deakaha (出赤刃 アモン)
"Unsheathing Crimson Blade"

Another BnHA OC for the same RP, he's a happy go lucky guy with a love of snack foods and a very horrifying understanding of romantic relationships. His mother was a prostitute/villain who nearly killed him, although he seems strangely unfazed by it, it's where he got the horrifying understanding of romance from. Love is violence and tyranny and domination, maybe that's why he almost dated a few villains (long story). His quirk is his demonic features and the ability to generate red energy constructs from his tail, it's a type of power that rewards ingenuity I think.

He has some of the best casual and streetwear designs I think I've done, it's the colour schemes and small stuff like snack packaging that really gets me into the details. Due to his more simplistic personality on the surface I opted to always add more details to his designs to show off character visually.

kFIEanol.png
ljgf9lkl.png

9kylF1fl.png

ejTtw2bl.jpg

First Concept
JovnJKll.png

His younger sister who's also evil, Mumu
AKIrNVyl.png

Alstro Edelweiss
"Snow Heart"

A RWBY OC, his semblance lets him sense the emotions of others, and negative emotions are painful for him. The original idea was a character who had literal emotional scars, but then I was like "wait what if it's emotional scars of other people, won't that be more tragic?". Yeah I didn't know where I was going with this one, but he does have scars in the shape of edelweiss flowers on his back and shoulders. He's a fanus of, a white bird or something idk, feathers in hair like liberis in Arknights was the way I went with that design. Weapons wise he just uses canon that requires bracers that digs into the ground so he doesn't get knocked back from recoil. Birds have hollowed bones so they tend to be more agile and nimble fighters but I wanted something the opposite of that, so I went with the heavy artillery type.

ZMT4HDbl.png

kTT7Pr7l.png

xqBYYcml.png

Erinnhurst
"Spirit Trainer"

Another Pokemon OC, this one an adult. He is a ghost type trainer, sort of, with a Rotom and a Shuppet. He's not afraid of ghosts, even friendly with them, due to his lonely childhood as a less favorited child and befriending a Banette. The Banette eventually "passed away" as its spirit moved on, leaving behind only an old doll. He used that experience to "exorcise" vengeful ghost Pokemon and comfort them, helping them move on to the afterlife.

His design is based off of stereotypical fengshui masters, he has a rotom shaped necklace and carries around a doll with the colour scheme of Banette but shaped like a Shuppet, it's the remains of his original partner.

5SS23mO.png

5ET3O04l.png

Kaion Tokikyo (時虚 回音)
"Four Fold Echo"

His named literally means echo, Kaion is a character with four small bodies that can combine into a big one, which is inspired by Luciana Estevez from Blood Blockade Battlefront. He is themed after quantum physics as his condition is caused by an experimental failure in which he was forced to kill himself from four different alternative universes and gained access to their bodies. A bit fucked up, a bit emotional, a bit of reason why he looks somewhat neir automata.

One of the pieces is wearing a Schrodinger's cat shirt that I also have irl since it's a fun thing to add. He uses a electromagnetic railgun with his ultimate skill being called "Q.E.D." as it can stand for either "quantum electrodynamics" or "quod erat demonstrandum" ("let it be shown" in Latin, commonly used in scientific or mathematical proofs. His logo is a hint to his backstory, as it's 4 different planets being cut off and converging in the middle into the silhouette of his weapon. His design is also very monochromatic, which is why I used greyscale to colour this, it was pretty good time saving but I think it can only work with this type of design.

x3VjQgCl.png
DGI94Hgl.png

Some NPC concept doodles that I haven't transformed into real characters yet, but I think I got their roles and vibes down already so I decided to put some design to canvas.

Current working names "Reef", "East", "Moskstraumen" (Or Maelstrom), although I feel like I can keep them.

Reef is a young girl with a professional demeanor and devoted to her job, although she seems to be hiding something and is self conscious about something as well. Her job is to retrieve the remains of monsters in universe for research or other purposes. Her weapon and mask are covered in kelp for a very specific reason.

East is teenager who just awakened to some sort of power, she spent most of her awake life in a hospital and doesn't know much about the world, much less herself. Her ability is quite grotesque, I wanted to go with the twin tails design to offset the unsettling-ness of it all. She can manipulate her flesh and even use it to instantly heal other people's wounds, but the flesh is required to be detached from her bones, it's pretty gruesome and maybe self harm trigger warning. Her indifference is something I want to express, I want to give her the eyes of an observer.

Moskstraumen is a...uh...tentatively I'll call him a doctor, but he definitely doesn't call himself that. I suppose he's the quiet type, but can be a real villain if he puts his resolve into it. Although he has a villain's resolve he doesn't really have a villain's heart. I think the players might kill him, like maybe not intentionally, but he is underpowered in terms of combat so if his sus actions gets him smacked hard enough he might just straight up die.

WojU2SK.png

Reef's full art now that she's actually appeared in the RP, I feel like her vibe is a little different now that I covered all her eyes. It's a little rushed since it was done during exam season. I gave her a little caplet.
GOp6O45h.png

Ivo Wreathweaver
"Reality's Anchor"

A character for a science fantasy RP from a family who eugenics'ed themselves so much they got corrupted by the chaos energy and it formed mutations that looks like "wreaths" on their heads in the shape of halos and circles. The thing that looks like a flower crown isn't an accessory, it's made of flesh and hair and has Ivo's 14 eyeballs in it. I based them on a sort of biblical angel, Ivo is genderless, has way too many eyes, sort of terrifying but elegant at the same time, that's the feeling I wanted to go for. The flower crown is supposed to reflect a halo while their weapons, the pikes, is reflective of angel-like wings. They are actually made out of Ivo's bones and are shaped like clock hands as a metaphor for how this character's days are numbered due to the corrupting chaos.

ECxUMY4.png

Last edited:
A few manga style pages I did for various characters, usually for RPs, only stuff that gets decent story progress would get this treatment so there isn't a lot

Capture.PNG

eUSDVfVl.png
S3BQxK0l.png

More art for my RP

An arc about a hospital with mysteries surrounding it, with a lost girl who thinks the hospital has always been her home as the leading thread into more and more questions and decisions.

"East", a girl who seems unaware of the world, seemingly only knowing the walls of the hospital and very select few people there. But she seems to be developing an interest in the outside world. She hides many secrets about what happened to her, after all, she was subjected to the cruelest thing someone in her situation could experience...what is that? Well, ha-haha, imagine it, how bad could it be anyways.

East is designed as a piebald, the fact that she has two skin colours and two hair colours is on purpose.

St.Nautilus Hospital, one of the few places I didn't straight up draw in the pink-purple palette.

f7LdMfI.png
6mjVKCy.png
ii3HvIk.png

Last edited:
A few more Pokemon characters

Ezian Reveton
An interpol officer and Zeke's junior, he learned a lot of Klinklang facts from him. I tend to give a lot of my Pokemon characters the same Pokemon if they have a relation in some way, and most of my new characters are related in some way to an older character since it's hard to come up with stuff from scratch sometimes.

Anyways his design is kind of meh but I drew him a few times and he has a few outfits, all of which are equally super normal.
Yxa54PF.png

6lxj4qf.png

SGBXWQj.png

8HlqmSm.png

QwmN9kM.png

KmWfNwS.png

Contest (He doesn't actually do contests):
pXLJKt0.png

Leigh Llyr
Akami Xun

A sketch info broker that sells overpriced items in Black City (which actually happens in lore I did my research) and a kind of starbucks girl that grew up in the traditionalist culture of Johto but still likes popular teenager things. Kind of just been playing around with some Pokemon world characters that come from different backgrounds as basic concepts, have yet to actually play either of them maybe I'll reserve for another Pokemon RP or if I make one of my own later.
d5kkD26.png
jFYsf5w.png

Time for a massive update on all the characters I made in these months

This is where I started to figure out using vector layers as line art layers

Daemon Lavenderwind (ver.2)
Updated version of him for another RP made by the same GM with a similar setting, he's mostly the same, a fae illusionist with little common sense and no idea what conventional morality is. He's roughly based on that one SCP that can turn into anything people find scary so they contain it by showing it bad B horror films and have it convinced those are the scariest things in the world.

v7B7tl5.png

Teeth cat splash art
illusionarydaemon.png

Due his body being illusionary he can technically look like a girl too (faes are genderless)
daemon_f.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back