• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Creatures, Realism, and Expectations! Oh My!!

Main
Here
OOC
Here
Characters
Here

GojiBean

Your resident irradiated Kaiju King
Roleplay Type(s)
Hoi my Divinity Unbound peeps!

This is a thread I promised earlier today about the creatures of the world, but also about some other things too like my expectations for the RP in terms of conduct, communication, establishing a sense of realism, etc. Because yes, even in high fantasy RP's, I like to keep SOME realism alive to make sure things don't go too crazy.

So, here we go!

Creatures!

There are many, many, MANY creatures in this RP world. Far too many for me to actually name. Basically, if it fits the realm of "high fantasy," it's a good bet it's SOMEWHERE in this RP world. Obviously, the more mythological and powerful it is, the more rare it will be.

Dragons, for example, live ONLY on the central island on the map known as Dragon's Cove, and in the waters immediately surrounding it. They do not live anywhere else.

Gryphons, as another example, are known to inhabit the highest mountain ranges and most isolated valleys of the world. However, they are still comparatively rare due to the fact that each one has its own MASSIVE territory that it will defend from any intruders. So if it's not a mate, it's a threat. And it will be driven out. So they are very well spaced out, and aren't going to be something we see too often in the RP due to this territorial existence.

Make sense?

Other mythical creatures like the Basilisk, Unicorn, Pegasus, Hippogriff's, Manticores, Chimeras, etc, all exist in this world as well. But just like the above they are all rare encounters. So the chances we'll see them in the RP are not that good unless they become relevant to the plot in some way. They aren't the kinds of creatures you just stumble upon. Know what I mean?

So what can some of these creatures do? Well, let's go over some basic examples:

• A Basilisk isn't like Harry Potter where it's gaze kills you. It's a giant snake (probably around 100 to 150 feet long), with fangs as long as your body and a killer hug. Its size is the key to its success, and once it reaches maturity it has no natural predators. It does have venom, but it only uses it on things that are large enough to survive the initial bite. A humanoid, for example, is a one-bite lunch. No need to waste venom on that when the tooth through the torso is going to do the job and make for an easy meal.

• A Dragon can fly using its wings, and a few other things too (all of which are spoilers right now but will be revealed soon enough). So this is all you get here. :hornstongue;

• A Pegasus is a horse that can fly. Enough said.

• A Unicorn is a horse with a horn that is incredibly rare and remarkably intelligent.

• A Chimera is any creature that is an amalgamation of other creatures. A good example is a lion's body, eagle's head, and snake's tail which spits acidic venom. But many other combos exist.

• A Manticore is very similar to a Chimera, except that it's always the same amalgamation... And it flies. A Manticore has a lion's head with forward swept horns, a lion's body, large bat-like wings, and a snake-like tail (no venom spitting, but still very dangerous as it has a mind of its own)

• A Hippogriff is similar to a Griffon, but is smaller, leaner, and usually less aggressive

You get the idea. If you ever think of a creature and want to know more about it, let me know what it is and I will figure out what it can do based on the design of the RP world.

Realism!

Okay... Deep breath... Realism.

Even in high fantasy there needs to be some realism in place to ensure the RP's structural integrity, and maintain consistency of character performance.

Here are the basic rules for realism when it comes to our characters as humanoid beings:
  1. If it can't happen in real life, it can't happen in this RP - No matter your race, you're not superman. So unless you actually have wings or can transform into something that has them, you can't fly. You can't jump up falling blocks like Legolas in the Hobbit Trilogy (that was BS on SO MANY LEVELS). And unless you have gills or can transform into something that has them, you can't breathe under water or hold your breath for a seemingly indefinite period of time.

Sound fair?

2. Feats of Strength - Since this is fantasy, I can be fairly flexible with this. As a martial artist and athlete myself, I peaked in my early 20's and will use my best performances in weight lifting and general athletic ability as benchmarks for how this RP will scale for the "average" healthy humanoid in this RP. If your character is above average for whatever background/upbringing reasons, you can expect to bend these rules a little bit further. But not by that much. When in doubt, ask me if you can perform a certain feat of strength before just doing it, because you will be hearing from me if I think it crosses a line. Thankies!

Keep in mind that these aren't exactly record-breaking numbers. So don't expect to go "ooh" and "aah!" I'm not that impressive :closedeyescryingfrown:. But they'll do for a basic benchmark.

- I'm 5' 11", btw, and at my peak I weighed 180 pounds and accomplished the following:

* 77 full sit ups in 1 minute (hands behind my head and my chest touching my knees each rep which, I'm quite proud to say, is only 10 fewer than the currently pending world record holder who has 87)
    * 105 (perfect) push ups in 1 minute (world record is 140, so I'm 35 off... :closedeyescryingfrown:)
    * 58 deep squats (butt to the ground and then stand straight up) in 1 minute (world record is somewhere in the 70's)
    * Bench Pressed 250 pounds for 1 round of 10 reps (dropped it to 240 for 12 reps in set 2, and 220 for 15 reps in set 3)
    * Squatted 380 pounds for 3 rounds of 10 reps (never quite got to 400 before I had to stop and focus on school and work... damn it all)
    * Ran a mile in around 6:40

- By comparison, an average healthy humanoid of just about any race in this RP could easily do better than me, and break most current world records (by at least a little bit).

A healthy and active Elf who's around 6', for instance, could do around 90-100 sit ups in 1 minute, 150-175 push ups in 1 minute, 80-90 deep squats in 1 minute, bench around 300 for 3 sets of 10 reps (without lowering the weight), squat around 450-500 pounds, and run a mile in about 5:30.

- HOWEVER... All of this is assuming a controlled environment with no interruptions or enemies flying at you. Out in the world where nothing is as simple or convenient as a metal bar with some weights on the sides, these kinds of numbers will vary slightly based on what actions you're taking. For example:

- If you're dragging a dead animal's weight around through the grass... That's not easy unless it's something relatively small. The friction of the grass and dirt against the animal's fur and skin works against you, as does the fact that the animal's weight is constantly shifting as its body moves around behind you. After all, its body is not as stiff as a piece of metal that never changes shape. And the heavier the animal is, the harder the act of dragging it will be.

- If it's a dead horse... Those suckers weigh an average of about 900-1,200 pounds. Unless you're an Orc, a Treant, or a Giant, you're not dragging that sucker anywhere by yourself. Orcs average 7 1/2' to 8' in height, and are easily 450 to 550 pounds of raw muscle. Basically, they're Dwayne the Rock Johnson on steroids. Anything smaller than that isn't dragging a 900-1,200 pound horse across the ground. The laws of physics work too strongly against it when you factor in the drag against the ground and your own weight not being able to overcome the inertia of the animal's dead weight. If it's just a matter of dragging it a few feet off to the side of the main road, then a two-person team could probably manage to move it without too many issues. But by one's lonesome... Naw bruh. Not unless you're one of those three races, or something bigger.

- But something smaller is definitely feasible. For example: if your character is around 150-200 ish pounds and attempts to drag a 300 pound bear (on the small side, but still a big beastie), they could definitely do that. For how long could they do that? It depends. Muscle fatigue is a thing, after all. Nobody's above or beyond it. So a healthy, fit, strong individual of any race could drag that sucker for maybe a quarter mile before needing to stop and rest.

3. See rules 1 and 2 :closed eyes open smile:
Expectations!

So my expectations for this RP, despite the rules listed above for adhering to some semblance of realism and the obvious "No God-Modding, Metagaming, or Power Playing" rules that should be automatically presumed in every RP... My expectations are that we all are able to kick back and have some fun with this RP!

I love to have fun, and I love sharing fun with other people. So it's my hope that everyone in this RP will have no fear of speaking up if something inspirational strikes like a possible side-mission for either their character, a group of players, or the entire cast. If you come up with something that feels like it fits the narrative of the RP, feel free to throw it at me and see if it sticks! Because it just might! I might not always be able to incorporate your ideas immediately, but I'll be sure to jot them down and try to find an opening for them sooner than later depending on the nature of it.

Also, I want everyone to know that I'm a very easily approachable GM. You can always talk to me about anything that concerns you, rubs you the wrong way, or in any way makes you feel uncomfortable. For example, if a scene unfolds in the RP that makes you uncomfortable due to gore, sexual tension (without crossing RPN's rules, of course), or other general pressures, and you're not sure how to respond to it, send me a private message. I always set aside time to talk to my fellow role-players and do what I can to make you all comfortable and engaged.

So bug me. Poke me. Throw questions at me. And be as pesky as you can! I welcome it, and you don't need to fear retaliation or irritation. I take my responsibilities as a GM very seriously, and part of that is to make sure everyone has fun and to be a welcoming presence rather than a scary or stiff-handed one.

So yeah! Let's all relax and do our best to be comfortable with one another, the role-play, and let's have us some fun!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back