Character Theory Creating a Character From Scratch

4scorelightnings

𝐭𝐞𝐥 ★
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
(Content warning: discussions about self harm and abuse in this thread)

Intro
: Hello, my name is Maya, I'm 21, and I have been roleplaying for about a decade with some gaps. Before I found RP Nation, I used to roleplay on another forum for years, and even have a few finished roleplays on it. I want to relay some information that has really helped me become a better role-player, but also writer and overall human-being when creating characters and OCs from scratch.

I feel we often have to encounter people who roleplay to write--or be--a perfect character with a perfect appearance, godly powers, and faultless personality. But this makes our writing unrealistic, more egotistical, and overall, doesn't teach us much about ourselves or others.

This is mainly a dos & don’ts, but there probably won’t be many ‘dos’ because I complain more than I compliment.
But seriously this is just a list of things that annoy me and other friends that share the same views. Like you actually DO NOT HAVE TO follow this at all, because you can do anything you want with an RP. These are just our pointers--And we are extremely pretentious when it comes to RPing. Follow your dreams and do what makes you happy, so long as you’re not hurting anyone. We’re just complaining and ranting here.

1: Forgive us if we start sounding like broken records
2: We learned from our mistakes. We have made most of the mistakes here before and we’re always on-our-toes to make ourselves better. Heed our advice and do the same.

Contents:
Appearance (Euro-centric beauty standards, Cultural Appropriation/japanophilia, etc.)
Backstory (Romanticizing Not-Okay things)
Personality (Realistic faults, realistic strengths)

***In the first post in this thread after this post I will be going over subsections such as:

-White-washing
-Queer characters and harmful stereotypes
-Gender diversity and the topic of “genderbending”
-Body diversity
-Book based character stereotypes (Hogwarts will be used for reference)
-Drama-based characters and people’s feelings

Appearance: I know we all love having beautiful characters. But think about it--is everyone around you deemed beautiful by the euro-centric society we live in? Not so much. If you can believe, fans of books like The Hunger Games when I was in my preteens were enraged about the fact they casted Rue to be a black girl, EVEN THOUGH she was literally described as one in the books (Look it up, I dare you.)! Many people, often white, are so used to imagining a whole fantasy world where all the "good" characters are white or have only Eurocentric features that it makes them feel uncomfortable when there is diversity. Don't be like this. Sure, make your characters appearances pleasant. But they don’t all need to be that societal "drop-dead-gorgeous", because you don’t see a person and literally drop dead because ‘dayum’, ok? Also, I am a bit tired of seeing people only think that pale skinned, bright eyed (blue, purple green what have you), slender, long flowing haired girl are the epitome of beauty. They are not. They are just the Eurocentric white epitome of beauty, don't fall for it being the only beautiful traits.

Let me just say - Sparkling emerald eyes *Very first RP character*, ice blue eyes *guilty*, purple eyes, *Also guilty, hell they were siblings*, are all really rare. (Like Jesus Christ guys brown eyes are a thing, y’know? Your character isn’t any less special if they have brown eyes.) So if you want your character to have an uncommon eye color, take a step back and wonder why. This ties into heritage too. I am half Japanese and half Indian (and will get into the japanophilia in the role-play community in a minute, but) I have sh*t brown eyes. I am sorry I do, and I love them. They are what most people in the WORLD got. They shine golden brown in the sun.

And magic. Magic is great for appearances. Have a werewolf character with one blue and one brown eye? *Guilty*Makes sense. (Just don’t do the whole “Everyone hates me because of my eyes because they’re different” thing when in fact the other characters have no problem with it. If the other characters do have a problem with it, go for it.) Anyway, you can go crazy with magical appearances as long as it makes sense. And won’t get your character killed. Like if you’re going to have a medieval witch with bright purple hair, she gon’ get burned. Just saying. *Burn baby, burn...*
Of course I’m not saying that your characters can’t be beautiful. Just think of the non-typically-beautiful adorable lil’ butts. *Heh. Little butts*
ScreenShot2014-08-30at113414PM_zps7df80fe8.png

Back to my point two paragraphs ago. Think about where your character is from. Where their parents are from. Where their great-great-great grandparents are from. This affects eye color, skin color, height, hair color, everything.
You don’t need to over-glorify your characters. If they are beautiful, good for them! They don’t need to change a thing. If they’re not conventionally beautiful, then I’m sure that they’re adorable as frick. Maybe you made a character who you would describe as ugly? Well they’re beautiful to someone. Just like people in real life. You don’t have to be “perfect” to be beautiful.

Back to specifically eye color. Even more specifically, purple eyes. The purple eyes mutation {Alexandria Genesis} DOES NOT EXIST. It was made up specifically for a fictional story, and people jumped on it.
I could dip into cliches here as well (*AHEM*, black hair, ice blue eyes) but honestly cliche people exist sometimes. Just they don’t exist everywhere.

On the note of similar characters, if two people in a roleplay create characters that are really similar in some way- Maybe they look the same, have the same/similar name, etc. - Don’t be afraid to say something about it. I know sometimes in my experience, people make characters so similar to mine it’s like they don’t even read my forms before they make their characters. Read people’s character forms or talk about it before you make your own. If you have to tweak your character a bit, too bad. If someone has something unique to their characters- Don’t do the same thing. At least make sure it’s okay with the person who put their idea out there first. Because despite how many months you've had the character, someone else may have posted in the roleplay thread before you. Sorry, bad experiences.

BODY TYPES!
First off body types are really important when describing a character. Just as important as describing their hair length and color. And you can’t just say ‘tall’ or ‘short’. It’s really not that hard to come up with an actual height. Here’s a hint to keep in mind -
Average height for girls in the US is 5’4.
Average heights for guys in the US is 5’10.

Keep in mind to mix your character’s body types around. Not every girl is a size 6 with a flat tummy and boobs that’d make Dolly Parton envious, and not every guy has the shoulder-waist ratio of a Dorito like Captain America.

ScreenShot2014-08-24at81119PM_zpsfccc1c9f.png

Here’s the thing- ALL BODIES ARE BEAUTIFUL *CONFETTI*

Skinny and lanky with no curves? Gorgeous! Pudgy arms, a squishy tummy, and short legs? BEAUTIFUL AS WELL! The body of Kate Upton or Channing Tatum? You go, bro! Boys don’t need to have six packs and broad shoulders and girls don’t need huge fun-bags to be awesome (as well as everyone in between), but there’s no shame in having a character with these said features so long as it’s not your stick-to formula. No character is lesser for having a A cup chest or D cup chest, or being short or tall, or having abs or not.
Let’s follow this up by talking about vocabulary. Watch out for your oxymorons when you describe characters. It’s literally impossible for a girl to be curvy and lean because when talking about body types, those two words are opposite.Not sure what a word means? Want a more accurate description? Google is a thing. As are multiple dictionary/thesaurus sites. (And actual dictionaries.)

Be realistic with it! It’s not practical to give your lazy boy character who only sits around playing video games rippling pectorals, or a girl who is only 13 with ridiculous curves. (Seriously, can we stop sexualizing different types of lumps and bumps in different areas? Sheesh) It’s really annoying when people have characters that are always trying to blatantly fit society’s standards of being “hot.” Sure it’s ok to have a stereo-typically hot person, but remember that everyone’s views of beauty are different, and people aren’t cut from cookie-cutters. On the other side of that coin, don’t make your character so stunningly plain that they’re always complaining that there’s “Nothing special” about them. They can have "plain" looks, but keep in mind that they’re probably beautiful anyway.
Having brown hair and brown eyes doesn't make someone plain.

ScreenShot2014-08-23at125755PM_zpsfacdbaea.png

Let’s just talk about races! No, not like the olympic kind. I mean the fact people look different. TTM and I personally see a lot of RPs where every single character is white (given if it’s a location or time period where this is untypical), *In all honesty, some of us have been guilty ofonly-white characters for a really long time. But we’ve stopped that BS and tried to diversify, and learning from mistakes is what counts folks* *We learn from our mistakes and try to better educate because seriously the entire world is not one whole race*
Now think about how friggen diverse this planet is. A lot of people try to make their characters different from other’s looks by giving them purple eyes or naturally bright red hair, but really, can we consider racial diversity before we go ahead and give them some ‘supposedly natural’ unnatural feature? Maybe a short girl who likes wearing elephant hair pins from Sri Lanka *What does that even mean*, or a person of Spanish descent who enjoys skiing. *I don’t know what skiing has to do with appearances but yeah, you go* Try to make your own personal characters diverse.
Let me say - I understand if it feels weird at first roleplaying someone who isn't from your own culture. {Even more so when all of the rest of the characters are one race.} Especially if it’s something different than someone who was, say, born and raised where you live. If you roleplay a boy who comes from Hawaii and follows Hawaiian customs- Learn about those customs.
I often see people using face claims that are Japanese art styles and that's amazing, but what about the ethnicity and culture of that person you are face-claiming or drawing? Are they Japanese, or are they of white/European descent like you? Race isn’t always just skin tone - it’s culture. If you have a culture different from your own make sure that you learn about it. It is in no way offensive to write accurately about a different culture. JUST LEARN ABOUT IT WITHOUT PRETENDING TO BE SOMEONE YOU ARE NOT! :)

Backstory:
Let’s talk about family life, shall we?
Holy Drama Queens, Batman. *Holy hypocrite Batman* If you have a simple highschool RP going, you do not kill off parents casually. *Holy hypocrite Batman intensifies* *Sidenote it happened once and I have learned from my mistake* Yes it does happen of course, but at least make parent-deaths realistic. I cannot say how lazy saying a or the parent/s died in a car accident, because this is the most cliche of the cliches, even if it sadly does happen. *I speak from experience* If a mother or father has passed or is gone from their life, a more realistic approach is either sickness or abandonment, just please, be kind to your OC’s, and don’t kill off all of their parents if the setting is modern times and there is no explanation for it. This is not an anime. (Even more so if they are then just living on their own with no support.) They WILL have money problems. Like, be realistic about it, the world that we often role-play in is a nasty capitalistic one that doesn't care about kids with no parents (look of foster care statistics in the United States alone).

Now let’s talk about siblings! People can have anywhere from none to too many. *It varies a lot, really. This is why deciding a parent’s personality is also really important.* And not all siblings are little angels, or really freaking annoying little-*UNBELIEVABLY CENSORED*
Also, consider age gaps. It’s pretty unrealistic if all your 26 year old character’s biological siblings are only 3. Not to mention siblings can actually be pretty funny little side people in your RP to liven it up, so try to give them a bit of a personality, and a name. *Always a name* Not to mention you should probably decide whether or not your character is going to have siblings when you make them, not 120 pages into the roleplay. *And don’t change it.*

Unhappy childhoods are a thing. So are happy ones. You need to think about this and why. So much stuff for everything is dependant on why. If their parents were teen parents {No support from family}, then odds are your character is going to have a terrible childhood. Maybe not, but there needs to be a reason why they did or didn’t have a bad childhood. This is speaking on the simplest terms of how they were raised - Nothing extremely dramatic.

Are they poor? Are they rich? Where do their parents work - Because I can assure you if their parents are both teachers and they have three kids, they aren’t going to be extremely well-off. You need to consider this. Also consider how your character gets money. Do their parents give it to them? How much of an allowance do they get, if so? Do they have a job? If they have a job, what is it, and when do they work? Nothing is worse than saying that your character works at the bowling alley, but never having them actually go work there, just so they can have play-time with the other characters instead. Keep jobs realistic. Again, google is a beautiful thing. If your character works five days a week, but then goes on four dates around the time they’re supposed to be working - Well, not only are they not getting the money that you say they’re getting, but they are probably out of a job. *Guilty*

You have to think a lot about family life and how it affects people. The same set of parents might have two completely different effects on two different characters, because they’re different people.

DRAMATIC BACKSTORIES AND HOW YOUR CHARACTER IS AFFECTED! Depending on the setting, your characters may vary a lot depending on their dramatic backstories. Let’s set the example that they’ve had an abusive parent/guardian, significant other, or something else affect their life. *AND UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD PEOPLE ROMANTICIZE AN ABUSIVE RELATIONSHIP. EVER. NO. MATTER. WHAT. I WILL TURN INTO A DRAGON AND SET YOU ON FIRE.*

ScreenShot2014-08-23at123200PM_zps7847d0f8.png

Your character may be really traumatized and they get panic attacks, or are clinically depressed. *Again, no romanticizing allowed unless you wanna deal with an angry dragon* However, keep in mind that real people go through this, and there for is a shady, uncomfortable topic for a lot of people. If you DO have a character with said illness, note that this is a DETAIL of your character, and it is NOT THEIR ENTIRE PERSONALITY. They were someone before their tragedy, and the tragedy does NOT DEFINE THEM AS A PERSON.

Also, Teen Pregnancy- If you choose to RP this, I won’t judge you, but do remember that for a teen mom in an RP- It’s game over. She can’t stick her kid with her mom for hours on end to go party or hang out with friends, no, that’s irresponsible parenting and also when I will judge you. Unless you’re trying to make her look like a bad person. Don’t forget that you character probably does not have unlimited money and that kids are so expensive. REALLY THINK ABOUT how a child may affect someone who is still in highschool, with no job, and also think about how the father of said child may be affected as well.
Don't just add in an unwanted pregnancy {Teen or not} for shock/drama value.
Also consider, would your person really get pregnant? Condoms rarely rip in the way that would deeply affect a semi fertile 15-18 year old who is not at the peak of fertility of their life. Other methods of birth control are basically handed out at a lot of teen cliniques and they’re really not hard to find. The odds of getting pregnant from a first time is basically 0/100. SCIENCE.

Another subject that makes me personally really uncomfortable, but certainly needs to be addressed is self harm- Yes, it happens, yes, it’s unfortunately common. But you do not need to RP any sort of act of self harm. Those you may be RPing with can be very uncomfortable with said action and you need to respect others. Please don’t make a display out of self-harm. I cannot stress these points enough, because you really need to be sensitive of all suffering in any way. RPing is supposed to be FUN, and when you add said topics to your character. Please do try to understand that others use this site as a fun distraction from said issues of stress. *Those people would be us* Any sort of blatant exploitation of mental illness, rape-culture, abuse, self harm, or even body-image issues will not be tolerated by me personally, and I will come to your house and duck-tape you to a chair to make you watch a constant loop of the entire Transformers movie series. With Shia Lebouf. *Such bad movies are not worth it*

If you’re going through self harm or other mental illness yourself, and need a way to channel it, RPing the topic isn’t the best way. There are multiple sites where you can talk to real live people to ventilate your problems; Here’s one - blahtherapy.com/

Some people get really uncomfortable if a character is unnecessarily and easily agitated, sad, or just down-right relying on others to cheer them up and blanket them through life- because it’s hard to do this. If your character’s mom died about 4 years ago, it’s fine to have them remember her occasionally, but please do not have your character be an emotional wreck constantly because of this one event. Time heals and helps to cope, but this doesn’t mean they can’t be affected.

I’m going to make another short note about the baddies. We all have characters that we dislike as people. Good character, bad person as I like to say. Sometimes they’re just A-holes {Just don’t make them 100% a dick}, but sometimes they can be actually abusive, or worse. Not only do you need clear okays from everyone else, but you should also clarify that you know this isn’t okay. Backstories are explanations, not excuses. A bad childhood might explain why your character is awful, but it doesn’t make it okay. Please be very mindful of your subject matter. Make sure that you’ve made it clear with the other roleplayers what you’re going to do - make sure that they are 100% okay and comfortable with it. Consent is really important in this kind of roleplaying too.

We also have those characters who think making fun of others or being destructive is ‘cool’. Don’t have your character light fires in the school because they think arson is cool, because FIRES ARE DESTRUCTIVE AND COULD KILL LITTLE JOHNNY FROM 6TH PERIOD. *Fires are dangerous, who knew? Please be mindful of what would actually kill your character or those around them*. Also, ‘badass’ characters don’t need to be a-holes or mean to everyone. It does not make them cool. However they may be an important character, and it’s fine to have one as long as people are ok with it, try not to blow it out of proportions. Not to mention that someone with such actions will probably be shunned for being a dick, so don’t complain when no one wants to be around your character.

Make your characters as dick-like {Or ditzy/clueless for that matter} as you want, but don’t be surprised when the other characters don’t want to be round them. Character development is always a thing, maybe there’s a kind-of-redemption available? Ask the other person you’re RPing with if there is. Ask what the breaking point is, where it’s too far to have this character like this other one. If it’s too far, then just stop, maybe make a new character. And remember, even in RPing, no means no. Constantly pursuing someone after they have refused you is not romantic. It’s creepy and it’s r*pe culture. Seriously, stalking people is gross.

Personality:
I’ll start by saying something that doesn't have much to do with personality.
This, I feel, is a good basic form for starting out an RP -
Full name: (The entire name- First, last, middle - It’s all extremely important. At least first and last.)
Age: (Agree on a set age range for the roleplay beforehand)
Gender: (Don’t be afraid to have someone non-binary or transgendered!)
Looks: (Be the most detailed here- Personalities develop, but at the beginning of a roleplay, looks are set in stone. Make sure you include hair color and length/style/what have you. Eye color and maybe shape. Height, and body type. Never, ever just put a link to a picture of someone as your appearances. It’s extremely vague and hardly let’s the other people know about your character’s looks.)
Personality: (Again, decide how you want to do this before the roleplay. You can either be really detailed here from the start, or agree to develop as you go. I know that personalities can be hard to decide right off the bat, but make sure they have one that makes them unique!)
Details that pertain to the roleplay: (Hogwarts house, district in Panem, magic powers. Anything that is specific to your roleplay. Make everything as simple as possible. If you need more than one category for specifics, go right ahead.)
Family life: (This one also pertains to roleplays. If they’re going to be around their family a lot, work it out now. If not, then it’s not as important.)
Other: (Always have an ‘other’ category. Sometimes people might have extra things that they need to add, even if you do not. If you don’t have anything extra, just write N/A and leave it blank.)

Once you’re pretty far into the roleplay, and you have your characters almost completely developed to the point where you and everyone else is happy with them (Note: This could take anywhere from two weeks to a year. Take your time.) You should be able to fill out a more complicated form like this -

Name (Full name, obviously. Middle included.)
Birthday/Age/Sign (I usually format this like MM/DD/YYYY (Currently __) {Sign})
Sexuality (Be pretty technical here. Can range from just "heterosexual" to "biromantic, homosexual & demisexual")
Religion (This can be any number of things, and yes, it is important.)
Eyes; (This is specifically for a extremely detailed description of their eye color, shape, eyelashes, eyebrows, etc.)
Hair; (This is also meant to be detailed. Length, color, style, bangs, everything.)
Face shape (This can be simple or detailed. If you don’t know face shapes, look them up and decide. You can/should also include different types of noses, lip shape/thickness and cheekbones here.)
Body type (Very important. Leave height out of this one, just focus on muscles, fat, places that are simply lean. Whatever your character may have. It’s not a bad thing to put sizes in here too. I tend to put foot sizes in mine, or chest sizes. It’s better than describing them as vaguely “big” or “small”.)
Skin tone (Skin tone is something in itself. You can say dark, light, caramel, anything that gives a good visual. This is also the place to write about freckles and blemishes.)
Height; (Simple enough. Give a height.)
Weight; (I always have to look this one up, but it’s best to give an approximate weight.) (www.freedieting.com/tools/ideal_body_weight.htm here’s a helpful link for that!
:D
)
Style (I usually write about clothing style here. Style reflects their personality a lot.)
Personality (This is where you really need to go in-depth. Write about what makes your character tick here.)
Interests (Some characters or people don’t really like anything and that sucks. So if they’re interested in anything, list it here.)
Fears (What are they afraid of? Everyone is afraid of something, even if they don’t admit it. There’s always the cliche “Losing the people they love” which is a legitimate fear, don’t get me wrong. But it could also be something as ridiculous as spoons. Phobias are fun to play around with.)
Family life (Even if they didn’t have much of one, talk about their family. I don’t care if they’re orphans, they still had a life and an experience there. Say they’re married with kids? Talk about their childhood family as well as their current family.)
Relationship status (Just, who they’re in a relationship with, if anyone. Maybe just write their best friend here. Or “Single”. Of course, it can get a lot more complicated.)
FC; (FC stands for face cast. This is an actor, model, musician, etc. that resembles your character. Make sure that you choose someone with a name, that you and others can look up again easily. Don’t just type in “Boy with brown and and green eyes”, try to find an actor. And don’t worry if they don’t have the same exact hair color, or the same eye color. As long as their face is the same and their hairstyle is at least somewhat decent, they work. Use your imagination.)

Overall, I don’t have much advice for character personalities. They vary so much, just like ours. Make sure that they’re unique enough. Try to avoid blatant cliches (Extremely shy person with long hair covering their eyes *Guilty*, jock despicable person person *Guilty*, punk person that doesn't care *guilty*, extremely random “crazy” girl that might try to kill someone. Yikes.) but overall do what makes you happy. And please don’t be afraid to step outside of your comfort zone! Whether this means RPing someone who’s the polar opposite of you, or just a guy maybe- Do it. Trust me, you’ll be glad that you did.

ScreenShot2014-08-24at74133PM_zps70d715e0.png

Something else that’s important about personalities is remaining consistent. There can be a lot of different factors to a personality- And sometimes those change in certain situations. However if you have an despicable person character who wants to get the girl- He isn’t going to become the sweetest person ever on the spot. He may act that way- But huge personality changes like that take time. Lots of time.

My personal biggest problem with personality changes is when someone has a shy character. {Which, in my opinion is a no-no in the first place, seeing as they’re really hard to roleplay with because A. they never make any decisions and B. they’re always by themselves and expecting other people to approach them first.}. Anyway, I see this most with shy male characters. They stammer, they stutter, they blush when someone touches their hand and they go completely red when someone kisses their cheek. {Not making this up} But as soon as things get heated, the shyness melts away. Don’t get me wrong, I know adrenaline in a thing. But when your character gets incredibly un-shy just in time for sexy-times- No. (You can’t go from awkward virgin who can’t even look at boobs in a biology textbook to the Dean Winchester of Sex Gods). That’s not how it works. Even if your character is down to do that, the shyness is still going to be there. They aren’t going to be fiercely pinning anyone against the dining room table anytime soon. (And seriously, who the hell does that?)

That got a little saucy. Anyway, try to stay consistent with your character’s actions. Honestly, I don’t think much when I post. It’s not like “Hur-dur-dur lemme reply and make a drama”. No. It’s just that when I roleplay my characters, their personalities come really naturally to me. Something that I’ve been thinking about recently is “How would my different characters reply to this one, simple sentence?”

Scenario example - Character A invites character B {Your character} to a small party that’s a 30 minute drive away. Character B doesn’t know many people there. Example reactions -

“I really don’t want to go.”
“Nah- I don’t really want to go.”
“Do I have to go?”
“I’ll go, but only if you stay with me.”
“Yeah, cool, I’d love to go.”
“Will there be boys?”
“Will there be girls?”
“Maybe- What do I get out of it?”
“Hell yeah! Lemme get ready.”
“Hell yeah! You ready now? Let’s go!”
“Who shall I kill, master?”

Those are all different examples of how a character may react. They all pertain to different personalities, moods, and preferences. If you have an extremely shy character, they’re obviously not going to be saying my last example there. But if they’re in a good mood, they might say the fifth one. Same thing with a people-person. They’re probably not going to be saying the first one, but if they’re in a bad mood- They might say the third. So sure, responses and reactions depend on mood at the time. But an introvert in a good mood is probably going to be different than an extrovert in a good mood. Same with bad moods.

While all introverts and extroverts vary, just know that most of the time, an introvert will want to be left alone if they’re upset, or at least at home with a very close person. Most will not want to go out to be cheered up, or go do something fun where there are other people. Likewise, most examples of extroverts are the opposite. But really, do whatever you want with your character, since all people are different.

So this is why you have to decide how your different characters would handle things. Anything from “How do they react to stubbing their toe?” to “How would they react if their significant other died right now?”. A person with anger issues would act differently than a person who’s really chill and calm about things.

There are some stereotypical personalities but the worst one is punk. Like seriously have your punk OCs all you want but punks don’t only wear red and black they wear a bunch of stuff and they’re actually pretty chill people that don’t really care like they don’t have those terrible tempers that I always see characters with. Punks just don’t care and they also wear like green and blue dude give your punks some colors other than red and black.

While this list is ridiculously long, these are just basic pointers of how general RPing works and what I have learned personally in my years of experience. Note that you can do whatever the hell you want, really, because I don’t know what type of RP you’re doing, and also in a more real way, I won't know so I don't really care that much. This is more general awareness of the “don’ts” of RPing, and we hope you enjoyed! I hope that you learned something.

Last edited:
(Content warning: discussions about self harm and abuse in this thread)

Cont.
See subsections for topics such as
-White-washing vs. cultural appropriation
-Queer characters and harmful stereotypes
-Gender diversity and the topic of “genderbending”
-Body diversity
-Book based character stereotypes (Hogwarts will be used for reference)
-Drama-based characters and people’s feelings
White Washing
Screen%20Shot%202015-08-11%20at%2011.31.23%20AM_zps3gh6gvjs.png

The issue of white-washing/cultural appropriation isn’t always just the matter of a lack of diversity. While both are issues, cultural appropriation is a bit different than white-washing.

For people who want to know the different:

WHITE-WASHING:
It would be like casting a white actress like in Ghost in the Shell to play a protagonist known to be of Asian descent. The live action of The Last Airbender also white washed their cast. White-washing involves an already made character that someone is changing the race of in order to fit the Eurocentric societal standards of what is oftentimes considered the "best."
Another example is in Exodus: Gods and Kings, a movie about Moses where everyone, despite being Egyptian and Hebrew, were played by white actors.

Cultural Appropriation:
If a story is set in Japan, more often than not, the person is going to be Japanese. Not white. See, there are always exceptions to this rule, like the OC’s family moved there and therefore they’re a different race other than Japanese, or they’re adopted or something, or their parents are white; But if all of your characters in a Japan- based story are white, Then… maybe consider the actual population of Japan, and that the society is predominantly Japanese.

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-11%20at%2011.34.30%20AM_zpsyr0cjz8r.png

There’s also something to consider with American and European based stories; Both areas are incredibly diverse and have people of all races. This means that, while yeah, you can totally have white characters, you should also consider that not all of your characters should be white. Try not to look at it as a ratio of “white characters” to “POC characters” though; that might make it seem like while creating characters, you have the option of ‘white’ or ‘not white’. The world is not half white people and half “not white people.” Instead of white and POC, it’s white, black, Hispanic, Latinx, Native American, Inuit, Indian, Chinese, and it goes on and on. When making a character, it should be “I could make a character who’s from Korea, or maybe I can make a character who’s Native American”. Origins are important.
On that subject, if you’re already making a character dark/tan/olive skinned and/or with dark or black hair- Consider making them POC. Native American, Hawiian, Indian, Inuit, etc. There are a lot of options for the kind of combination.
Diversity matters, even if it’s just between a few people on the internet.

Okay specific side note here- Hunger Games RP characters. While yes, there are white people in the Hunger Games books, a lot of people aren’t. The biggest example is that Katniss was whitewashed (I do believe unintentionally) in the movies and that’s something to avoid. Residents of District 12 tend to be dark skinned, as far as we know. Both districts 8 and 11 are predominantly black, and we know that for sure.

Homophobia/Stereotypes
Creating queer characters; avoid the gross cliches. I’m so sick and tired of seeing a (usually white) gay man portrayed as some sort of perverted, sassy, and eccentric interior designer who, apparently, knows the newest fashion trends better than the girl who claimed him as a “GBF” (gay best friend). Or the butch girl who doesn’t wear makeup and doesn’t like wearing dresses, is like this because she’s a lesbian. Yeah, you can have characters like this, but they shouldn’t be like this because they’re gay. ‘Gay’ isn’t a personality, it’s a sexual attraction. Your character does not have to dress or act a certain way to be gay.
Screen%20Shot%202015-08-11%20at%2011.33.36%20AM_zpsrwnwvukp.png

On Another Note of Stereotypes;
Bisexuals aren’t always flirty and unstable in relationships.
I’ve never met a Pansexual who’s a longhair flower child and ‘trying to be different”
And, Asexuals, yes, can be fantastic conversationalists. Another note, they’re not always repulsed by sex.
Queer representation is so important, but if you’re basing your character’s life and personality off the fact that they ARE queer, you’re doing it wrong.
To add on, any character can be queer. We personally have countless characters that started out hetero and as they developed we went “nope.” So even your pre-developed characters can be queer! What good news!!

Gender diversity
Representation is important in all areas. Race, sexuality, and gender. Let me start by saying that I understand if you’re not comfortable making a transgender person, non-binary, genderfluid, etc. character because you don’t know how it feels and you feel like you wouldn’t accurately portray it. If this is something you’re worried about, do some research. Talk to a person who experiences these things- Like 8 time out of 10, people are happy to answer questions. However, if you do choose to portray one of these characters, please keep in mind that your OC is not entirely their gender. They need more depth aside from being transgender or genderqueer, otherwise they become the staple ‘type cast’ character. In short; don’t create a character just for their role to be ‘your genderqueer character’.
Some common stereotypes to avoid are:

-Gender neutral characters presenting in a completely gender neutral way. They can still present feminine or masculine or however.
-Genderqueer characters are ALWAYS really confused about their gender. Constantly. No exception. In reality, they can be secure.

Now a brief note on “Genderbending” a character. The way I see it, the most common claims and counterclaims are a little something like -
“I don’t understand how genderbending is offensive. I would like to see my cis character as the opposite cis body. I want to see their story presented as if they were born a cis gendered female/male, and how they would look as a cis-bodied person.”
and
“The term genderbending is offensive and transphobic because it is commonly used to turn a male character into a female character, or vise versa. When in actuality there is a large spectrum of genders being overlooked and underappreciated. There is no ‘opposite gender’ Try a Transgender person instead.”

While neither are specifically wrong, it’s best to avoid this conflict. This is a term that has been called out as offensive and that needs to be respected. A helpful term to use when wanting to make your character a cisgendered male/female, is “Rule 63.” Rule 63 specifically describes a cis male being made a cis female or vise-versa. Especially because a Transgender person! If you’d like to make a cis character NB, genderfluid, demiboy, demigirl, then ‘genderbending’ may be an appropriate term.
Screen%20Shot%202015-08-11%20at%2011.32.43%20AM_zpsjivtbj5p.png

Body Diversity
Your characters are different people, and so their bodies should be different too. From short to tall, skinny to chubby, broad to pear shaped, it’s important that you recognize the beauty of all shapes and sizes and apply them to your characters. Also, bodies change. Your character might start out skinny, and gain some chub. Or they haven’t gained a single curve in their life-time and their shoulders haven’t widened at all. And that’s normal. If all your characters are slender and curvy, perhaps it’s time to change up your OCs (not to mention it promotes the unhealthy idea that the ‘perfect character’
has to fit these beauty standards.)
Screen%20Shot%202015-08-11%20at%2011.30.04%20AM_zpskmvhkvuf.png

I’m going to come out and say it; I don’t see enough overweight characters represented in media, and for a majority of the ones that are, their size is used for humor (Fat Amy from Pitch Perfect ring a bell?). From food jokes to constantly pointing out their weight, there’s nothing wrong with being proud of yourself, but if your character is always the butt of a joke because they’re fat, you’re promoting self-esteem crushing ideals.
Something else to say is that if you have a story where a character is incredibly active or on a sports team, etc.- It’s completely understandable for your character to have a fit body type. However overweight =/= unhealthy. People who are overweight can still play sports and kick a**.
But with non-overweight fit characters, a couple things to consider- Fit people with breasts often don’t have large ones, and fit people without breasts aren’t always tall.

Avoiding Pre-Set Cliches;
This one will be a bit more roleplay-centric. When making characters for a roleplay that is based on pre-existing stories, it’s important to avoid preset and/or fanmade cliches within that series. Ex: Hogwarts, Camp Half Blood, Divergent. Any sort of story that has people sorted into certain groups based on personalities.
Using Hogwarts as an example, we have the predictable ‘bold but annoying’ Gryffindor. Yes, it’s totally okay for you to have a character like this, but consider; bravery comes in different forms of people. Same goes for Ravenclaws- not all prefer books over friends and have an air of ‘I’m smarter than you’ arrogance. Slytherins; not just sneaky, stuck up ‘snek people’ trying to get in everyone’s pants (for some reason they’re usually pale and/or have dark, silky hair?? Like is that just me?? It’s either pitch black or white. Where’s the gingers?). Hufflepuffs seem to be the most diverse because most people base them off the fact that they’re nice. (Not that that means that all Hufflepuffs are cute and cuddly and squishy teddy bears. Keep in mind that Hufflepuffs are incredibly similar to Slytherins. Hardworking and loyal are traits of both house, explicitly stated or otherwise.) It makes sense if your characters look like characters from the book if they’re related to a canon character, but keep in mind that if the cannon character wasn’t set up with any specific witch/wizard, their child could be POC on the mother/father’s side. Just an option to add realistic diversity to a story.
Screen%20Shot%202015-08-11%20at%2011.29.38%20AM_zpsuhzfdhty.png

Dramatic Back-Stories
Any back-story you can possibly dream of is perfectly acceptable as long as it’s done artistically, makes sense, and connects to the character. Your OC is an orphan because they live in a rainy area, and for some reason, their parents got caught up in a monsoon while driving. That makes sense, go for it.
But, if you have something like, “My character got kicked out of, I don’t know, the house of the Gods, at the age of five because they were too beautiful. When they fell their genetics changed entirely so now their once brunette hair is pure white.” You’d better know how to explain every single detail, including how their eyes turned red when they used to be green. (If the answer isn’t ‘magic’ or ‘some really seriously permanent contact lenses’ then maybe re-write your character).
Now, you can do whatever you want as long as it makes sense… and, if used in a role play, won’t cause discomfort.

TRIGGER WARNING FOR SELF HARM AND ABUSE
If you’ve decided to thoroughly educate yourself on the above matters and they fit with your character’s backstory, you can apply them to your OC. However, triggers are very real. If you wish to add this aspect to your character, you need to understand just how serious both cutting, and having a victim of sexual/physical/mental assault is, and have an understanding with the people you’re involved with that it’s okay to talk about this. Communication with your fellow RPers about what you are and aren’t comfortable with is so important.
Screen%20Shot%202015-08-11%20at%2011.30.18%20AM_zps1yhwkors.png

Hope this helps anyone in any way!

Last edited:
111minx: -eloquently describes character creation process-

Me: -Go onto Pinterest for 8+ hours and find a good image for the character or something-

I don't know if you covered it since I was mostly skimming, but sensitive topics such as abuse, mental illness, etc. should not be taboo in RP. The key thing should be communication. You should know your partner's triggers and they should know yours. If you don't have any triggers then make that known as well. I have personally explored many of these sensitive topics in RP, but it was always with partners who were okay with it. In fact, if you really want to explore a specific topic in a safe way such as through writing then you should be considerate of the types of partners you're seeking out. Essentially, communicate upfront that you're interested in exploring a specific topic or theme. It can be done, there just needs to be communication.

I don't know if you covered it since I was mostly skimming, but sensitive topics such as abuse, mental illness, etc. should not be taboo in RP. The key thing should be communication. You should know your partner's triggers and they should know yours. If you don't have any triggers then make that known as well. I have personally explored many of these sensitive topics in RP, but it was always with partners who were okay with it. In fact, if you really want to explore a specific topic in a safe way such as through writing then you should be considerate of the types of partners you're seeking out. Essentially, communicate upfront that you're interested in exploring a specific topic or theme. It can be done, there just needs to be communication.
Yes I completely agree with this and actually wrote about this right above in my second post:

If you’ve decided to thoroughly educate yourself on the above matters and they fit with your character’s backstory, you can apply them to your OC. However, triggers are very real. If you wish to add this aspect to your character, you need to understand just how serious both cutting, and having a victim of sexual/physical/mental assault is, and have an understanding with the people you’re involved with that it’s okay to talk about this. Communication with your fellow RPers about what you are and aren’t comfortable with is so important.

Oooh, maybe you could edit a content warning at the top of the OP, since I think people will want to have educated discussion about some of the sensitive topics. :)

The issue of white-washing isn’t always just the matter of a lack of diversity. While both are issues, white-washing is a bit different.
If a story is set in Japan, more often than not, the person is going to be Japanese. Not white. See, there are always exceptions to this rule, like the OC’s family moved there and therefore they’re a different race other than Japanese, or they’re adopted or something, or their parents are white; But if all of your characters in a Japan- based story are white, Then… maybe consider the actual population of Japan, and that the society is predominantly Japanese.
It’s like the movie Lucy, which is set in Taiwan, but the protagonist is this one white girl. Who fights a bunch of Asian bad guys.
Exodus: Gods and Kings, a movie about Moses where everyone, despite being Egyptian and Hebrew, were played by white actors.

You can't whitewash a character that doesn't already exist in media. When creating an OC if you create them with the intention for them to be white you cannot whitewash them.

1623447318669.png

I try to write diverse characters when I can, but sometimes the setting can genuinely be a hindrance. I'm personally a huge fan of historical RP and oftentimes I'm playing in settings where things like homosexuality were considered taboo. If I make non-hetero characters in those types of settings then they're almost always closeted unless part of the plot is them risking themselves for the sake of love (who doesn't love forbidden romance, afterall?). Additionally, these are usually European settings simply because it's the history I know the most about. Those settings can fit POC characters, but not without some backstory explaining why they're there. Perhaps a foreign trader or something.

You can't whitewash a character that doesn't already exist in media. When creating an OC if you create them with the intention for them to be white you cannot whitewash them.

View attachment 890524
Maybe Lucy isn't a good example of white washing because they wanted the "good" protagonist to be white in the very first place, and the bad guys to be asian (and even though that is still problematic, I guess it wouldn't be whitewashing).

I would say a good example is in the live action Avatar The Last Airbender, where they white washed all the characters, except for the villains being the fire-nation, where they made them all of south-asian descent (which isn't even the right ethnicity of the fire nation in the cartoon, where they were supposed to be Japanese based)

And again, it's important to still be culturally aware of what kinds of people (racial and culturally) are a part of a place. Like in Japan for example, the majority of the population's ethnicity is Japanese, so if you want to make all your characters that live in Japan white, ask yourself why. Cultural erasure is still a big thing that exists in literature and it's important as role-players that we try and be as educated with character creation as we can.

Last edited:
Maybe Lucy isn't a good example of white washing because they wanted the "good" protagonist to be white, and the bad guys to be asian (and even though that is still problematic, I guess it wouldn't be whitewashing).

I would say a good example is in the live action Avatar The Last Airbender, where they white washed all the characters, except for the villains being the fire-nation, where they made them all of south-asian descent.
We do not speak of the Avat...I mean the movie that doesn't exist :P

I try to write diverse characters when I can, but sometimes the setting can genuinely be a hindrance. I'm personally a huge fan of historical RP and oftentimes I'm playing in settings where things like homosexuality were considered taboo. If I make non-hetero characters in those types of settings then they're almost always closeted unless part of the plot is them risking themselves for the sake of love (who doesn't love forbidden romance, afterall?). Additionally, these are usually European settings simply because it's the history I know the most about. Those settings can fit POC characters, but not without some backstory explaining why they're there. Perhaps a foreign trader or something.
Yeah this makes sense, especially if your characters are in a European setting and from different periods in time. I think it's definitely an exception on actively trying to make diverse characters in terms of culture and race. Luckily, I feel like most other settings though people can definitely make the effort to try and make characters more diverse in all aspects! ^^

Maybe Lucy isn't a good example of white washing because they wanted the "good" protagonist to be white, and the bad guys to be asian (and even though that is still problematic, I guess it wouldn't be whitewashing).

I would say a good example is in the live action Avatar The Last Airbender, where they white washed all the characters, except for the villains being the fire-nation, where they made them all of south-asian descent (which isn't even the right ethnicity of the fire nation in the cartoon, where they were supposed to be Japanese based)

Yes, but my main issue is that the term whitewashing does not apply to original characters because they are not present in pre-existing media. (Unless of course the character is set in a story where race is important in one way or another) Along with that you're initial statement uses the word incorrectly, the example was following suit with your incorrect definition.

Yes, but my main issue is that the term whitewashing does not apply to original characters because they are not present in pre-existing media. (Unless of course the character is set in a story where race is important in one way or another) Along with that you're initial statement uses the word incorrectly, the example was following suit with your incorrect definition.
I think in a universe like Avatar: TLA, for example, even white OC's would be whitewashing. The show is very clearly about non-white cultures (specifically Asian and indigenous). I do plenty of RP's set in that universe, always with OC's, and never once have any of them been white. It would just be inappropriate and out of place.

You're right, I think a better term would be cultural erasure, and cultural appropriation. I'll change it to those words. White-washing would be casting a white woman as the protagonist for Ghost in the Shell live action, where the movie and the manga's protagonist is Japanese.

As a person of color, I feel like oftentimes in literature and roleplaying people often make white only characters in worlds and settings that are predominantly a different race or culture. Like in the Avatar Universe, there is in fact, no white people, and that's okay, because the world was built on predominantly 4 other cultures that are not Eurocentric. I really like that in a show I can finally feel like the majority of the people are who I am, aka of asian descent.

Cultural appropriation is often worse or just as bad as white-washing. Like in a Japanese setting for example, the majority of the population's ethnicity is Japanese, so if someone wants to make all their characters that live in Japan white, or only the "good" folks vs. the "evil" asian folks, they should really reflect and ask themselves why. Cultural erasure and appropriation is still a big thing that exists in literature and it's important as role-players that we try and be as educated with character creation as we can.

And if people are making characters in a world that white people are out of place like Jannah said, that is considered white washing because the setting and world itself dictates that there are ONLY people of color in that world! So, in terms of setting, white-washing exists even when making OCs if the world itself is not built up of white people (i.e. worlds like Avatar the Last Airbender). Hope that makes more sense to you!

Last edited:
I think in a universe like Avatar: TLA, for example, even white OC's would be whitewashing. The show is very clearly about non-white cultures (specifically Asian and indigenous). I do plenty of RP's set in that universe, always with OC's, and never once have any of them been white. It would just be inappropriate and out of place.
Exactly!

I changed my post so that I am distinct with the difference between cultural appropriation, and white-washing. Hope this helps! ^^

And again, it's important to still be culturally aware of what kinds of people (racial and culturally) are a part of a place. Like in Japan for example, the majority of the population's ethnicity is Japanese, so if you want to make all your characters that live in Japan white, ask yourself why.

I know why, because they do it themselves, the most popular thing about japan (inside and to the rest of the world) is anime. In there all japanese girls and boys, regardless of the main plot (it can be a fantasy setting or a regular slice of life science show, yes a science anime with purple and pink haired girls) are all white, usually blond (or with imposible colors) and/or with light eyes. They speak Japanese, they write Japanese and their names are Japanese but aside from that you wouldn't even imagine they are actually Japanese.

I love anime but obviously it has the biggest fault of this tendency to "whitewash" or whatever

I know why, because they do it themselves, the most popular thing about japan (inside and to the rest of the world) is anime. In there all japanese girls and boys, regardless of the main plot (it can be a fantasy setting or a regular slice of life science show, yes a science anime with purple and pink haired girls) are all white, usually blond (or with imposible colors) and/or with light eyes. They speak Japanese, they write Japanese and their names are Japanese but aside from that you wouldn't even imagine they are actually Japanese.

I love anime but obviously it has the biggest fault of this tendency to "whitewash" or whatever

Honestly, unless an anime explicitly takes place somewhere designated specifically as "not Japan" (typically in fantasy animes) then I just assume the characters are Japanese. With things like K-drama it's definitely more obvious the characters are non-white since the shows are not animated, thus less stylized.

I agree that beauty standards around the world are Eurocentric, and oftentimes sadly when trying to draw beautiful protagonists they often go for lighter everything--skin, hair, eyes, etc. And there are definitely exceptions of anime with white characters, but oftentimes a lot of white Americans think this is the case for most anime, but this isn't true, especially those that originate in Japan and haven't released in the US first.

Take this from someone who is literally Japanese and has lived in Japan LOL. Most of the time Japanese artists and TV show writers don't make characters white themselves, a lot of the time, people just assume that because they don't have black hair and black eyes they are white (even though white people don't have purple hair or yellow eyes, people assume that light colored hair and eyes are white only in anime). We should ask ourselves why it's assumed, especially if they have a Japanese names AND surnames, and oftentimes these colors are unrealistic for any real human standard). Otherworldly colors should not just be equated to white people. In fact, unless it's explicitly stated they are white or are in a white setting like America or Europe, I think it's our jobs to make sure we don't white wash these characters ourselves in our head, because it tends to be easy especially if people are white themselves and love the art form (as they should, Japanese anime is great!). The color of eyes and hair in anime is often a part of the art style itself, which is why the impossible colors are for both eyes and hair and are not just for white characters. Like Jannah said above, unless it's explicitly stated or they are in a white setting, I would assume the characters are Japanese (especially if they are made by a majority Japanese cast/production, and have Japanese surnames).

There are definitely exceptions though, especially if the names of characters are Euro-centric! ^^

Last edited:
Actually, a lot of white Americans think this but this isn't true. Most anime characters are Japanese... take this from someone who is literally Japanese and has lived in Japan LOL. Unless it's explicitly stated they are white or are in a white setting like America or Europe. I think it's out jobs to make sure we don't white wash these characters ourselves in our head. The color of eyes and hair in anime is often a part of the art style itself, which is why the impossible colors are for both eyes and hair and are not just for white characters. Like Jannah said above, unless it's explicitly stated or they are in a white setting, I would assume the characters are Japanese (especially if they are made by a majority Japanese cast/production). There are definitely exceptions though! ^^
I know that culturally they are japanese, i meant in the physical aspect of things. Why would it be my job as the viewer to imagine inside of my head all the characters with brown hair, brown eyes and smaller eyes? Like it or not humans are mainly visual, of course i don't imagine Uzumaki Naruto as idk a Kevin Smith or something but i can't see him as a japanese boy in the physical department (In that show i think only the Uchiha, Aburame, Nara, Sarutobi and Senju clans are what you would say properly represented as japanese in the physical aspect of things)

I'm not saying is ok but i believe that it is the main reason that some people tend to whitewash japanese characters.

I just thought of something, are people that use Anime faceclaims for white characters cultural appropriating? Since for you they are japanase, and not white, i would like to know your opinion on that

I know that culturally they are japanese, i meant in the physical aspect of things. Why would it be my job as the viewer to imagine inside of my head all the characters with brown hair, brown eyes and smaller eyes? Like it or not humans are mainly visual, of course i don't imagine Uzumaki Naruto as idk a Kevin Smith or something but i can't see him as a japanese boy in the physical department (In that show i think only the Uchiha, Aburame, Nara, Sarutobi and Senju clans are what you would say properly represented as japanese in the physical aspect of things)

I'm not saying is ok but i believe that it is the main reason that some people tend to whitewash japanese characters.

I just thought of something, are people that use Anime faceclaims for white characters cultural appropriating? Since for you they are japanase, and not white, i would like to know your opinion on that
That makes sense! I feel like since Naruto has blonde hair a lot of people see him as white, and honestly the studios probably wanted to use societal beauty standards which are often sadly Eurocentric to help with its popularity.
And yeah I can definitely see that, it's easy to whitewash them especially if they have Eurocentric features!

I would say that that is a hard one, I feel like I won't be able to speak for all Japanese people or anything but for me personally I would say that as long as someone's characters that always use anime aren't always or only ever white I would say it's cool! There are also a lot of great anime characters that are canonically white that could be easily used which is good! For anime characters that are canonically of asian descent or those that the directors/creators have said are explicitly asian--maybe try and keep them that way as to not white-wash them I guess.

I think what is being discussed is implicit bias. What 4scorelightnings 4scorelightnings is trying to get across with the anime = Japanese comparison is that there is no contextual reason for the character set in a Japanese setting to be anything other than Japanese.

So if you look at the art and just assume that everyone is white that points to a subconscious assumption on your part that white is the default color. Therefore non-white characters have to be obviously represented in some way to count.

But as the saying goes “if it moves like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it’s a duck.”

Naruto is a blue eyed blonde, but he also has a Japanese name, he very clearly lives in a fantasy Asian setting, and there is from what little I know of the series no indication of any kind of European/Western place existing.

This is a fantasy world with effectively magic powers and weird demon beasts. It’s not a huge leap that people can be Asian and also have naturally pink or blonde hair.

I think what is being discussed is implicit bias. What 4scorelightnings 4scorelightnings is trying to get across with the anime = Japanese comparison is that there is no contextual reason for the character set in a Japanese setting to be anything other than Japanese.

So if you look at the art and just assume that everyone is white that points to a subconscious assumption on your part that white is the default color. Therefore non-white characters have to be obviously represented in some way to count.

But as the saying goes “if it moves like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it’s a duck.”

Naruto is a blue eyed blonde, but he also has a Japanese name, he very clearly lives in a fantasy Asian setting, and there is from what little I know of the series no indication of any kind of European/Western place existing.

This is a fantasy world with effectively magic powers and weird demon beasts. It’s not a huge leap that people can be Asian and also have naturally pink or blonde hair.
This is a great way of putting it! ^^ Implicit bias is a thing that usually white people (or any other race who is the dominant ethnic group in their country) don't notice in themselves unless it's pointed out. This is great for everyone since we all have forms of implicit bias we can unlearn and reflect upon! Thanks for sharing :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back