• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Realistic or Modern Country Roads, Take Me Home [mxm] [plots inside] [historical and modern]

memphis

head empty and i like it that way
Roleplay Availability
Hey there, I’m Mem! My pronouns are she/they, and I am a 20-year old college student who is taking the semester off school. I am currently looking for some new partners to write with after a long spell of inactivity, preferably people who are interested in a long term, relaxed roleplay. If you have contacted me in the past and never got a response, or one of us fell off in the process of planning or roleplaying, feel free to contact me again to pick up where we left off or start a new roleplay altogether, I don’t hold grudges (and hope you don't, either)!

As for general expectations:
  • I write multiple paragraphs per post. I would prefer you at least be able to write two or three, but I am flexible.
  • I can typically respond at least once a day to a couple of times a week. I will do my best to let you know if it will take me longer than a week to get back to you. I am very flexible with the frequency of replies on your behalf, anywhere from a couple times a week to once a month can work for me, I’d just like to know beforehand what to expect!
  • I play all genders, though I do tend to lean toward male characters.
  • If romance is being included, I prefer slow burn, and I do prefer it be mxm or fxf. At the moment I am primarily looking for mxm. You’d have to really sell me on anything pertaining to mxf romance. For platonic roleplays, I am open to any and all pairings.
  • I almost exclusively rp original plots with original characters.
  • My preferred medium for rp in the past has been email, but I am totally willing to write over the pm system here, or venture into g-docs, depending on your preferences.
  • I would prefer you be aged 18+. If you are younger than this I am open to hearing your case, but I will not rp mature scenarios with you.
  • I enjoy plotting and chatting ooc, but if you don’t, just let me know. I do, however, expect you to be involved in the planning process.
  • Writing samples available upon request.
  • Overall, I am a very flexible person, but I do ask that you communicate with me about your preferences, limits, and any other questions, ideas, or concerns you may have!

Now, onto the genres/settings/pairings I would like to explore! A topic being bolded denotes that I am particularly interested in said topic, but I am open to anything listed below and more. An asterisk (*) denotes that I have a plot or idea for said topic, which will be listed in another spoiler right below this one!

• WWI/I*
  • American Civil War*
  • 17th/18th Century Italy*
  • Southern / Midwestern Gothic*
  • Antebellum Period
  • Manifest Destiny / Old West*
  • French Revolution
  • Edwardian / Victorian Eras*
  • Russian Revolution
  • Pirate/Maritime
  • Ancient Greece / Rome*
  • Medieval
  • 1920s Gatsby-esque Extravagance
  • 1950s Prison Chain Gang
  • Alternate Reality/Virtual Reality
  • Historical (other than what I’ve mentioned here!)
  • Post-Apocalyptic / Dystopian / Zombie Apocalypse
  • Prison Setting
  • Sports Teams
  • Summer Romance in the Countryside*
  • Desolate Motels in the Middle of Nowhere
  • Small Town Living / Farm Living / Isolation (if you've seen or read 1922 by Stephen King, I'd love to do a rp inspired by this!)
  • Kitchen Sink Drama / Brooding, Wealthy Young Men
  • Vampires (only interested in historical settings for this)
  • Original Plots
  • I also have some interest in a roleplay formatted as an email or pm correspondence where two characters communicate solely through online messages. I've seen this before and it really intrigues me. Perhaps something set in a dystopian future, or maybe something more modern (think Love, Simon), or even a Civil War soldier corresponding with his lover through letters.
  • Soldier x Soldier
  • Enemy Soldier x Enemy Soldier
  • Soldier x Civilian
  • King/Emperor x Favorite
  • Teammate x Teammate
  • Lawyer x Defendant

As a short preface, I am open to playing any character in any of these plots, no matter how they are worded.
For a WWI/I setting, I think it could be fun to maybe play around with two soldiers on opposite sides, perhaps one being injured in action and captured by the other side, left in the hands of an enemy doctor who has a lot of animosity for his side. As another option, perhaps an injured soldier attempts to desert, and manages to make it a few miles away from camp before collapsing in the middle of a field, which just so happens to belong to a farmer on the adversary side. When the soldier wakes up, he’s in an unfamiliar bed, stitched up, and stripped of his weapons and uniform. He soon discovers where he is and who saved him, leaving him in quite the predicament, where he faces an uncertain fate at the hands of his mysterious savior, or tries to escape while he still can, chancing the farmer reporting him.
For a Civil War setting, I think it could be fun to maybe play around with two soldiers on opposite sides, perhaps one being injured in action and captured by the other side, left in the hands of an enemy doctor who has a lot of animosity for his side. Or, maybe Soldier A attempts to desert while he’s in enemy territory by stripping a uniform from a dead body, and in doing so, is caught by an enemy Soldier B, but for whatever reason Soldier B shows him mercy. That wouldn’t be the end of things, though, and for some reason or another, circumstance would force Soldier A to go and blend in with Soldier B’s troop so he doesn’t end up being charged with treason on B’s side, either. Grudgingly, Soldier B takes him under his wing, but the hostility and tension between the two remains as they struggle to keep their secret, an ever-present fear that one will rat on the other. Or, as yet another option, perhaps an injured soldier attempts to desert, and manages to make it a few miles away from camp before collapsing in the middle of a field, which just so happens to belong to a farmer on the adversary side. When the soldier wakes up, he’s in an unfamiliar bed, stitched up, and stripped of his weapons and uniform. He soon discovers where he is and who saved him, leaving him in quite the predicament, where he faces an uncertain fate at the hands of his mysterious savior, or tries to escape while he still can, chancing the farmer reporting him.
My Baroque plot would center around the opera scene in 1700s Italy or France and lifestyle of the wealthy during this period (and all the shady dealings happening behind the scenes), namely focusing on a young castrato who is making his debut into the operatic world. Despite being beloved for his beautiful voice, he faces much criticism from society for his rather effeminate presentation and apparent lack of masculinity, amongst other factors, and develops deep-seated feelings of alienation and ostracization. Even amongst other castrati he cannot find any solace, rather he is met with feelings of animosity from other singers who fear they could easily be replaced by a fresh-faced newcomer. However, he eventually strikes up a friendship with another character, who also has been ostracized by society for one reason or another, and the two strike up a bond over these mutual feelings of alienation. This character could be anyone from a lonely and bored noble, another castrati whose career proved rather unsuccessful, to an eccentric composer. Anyway, conflict could be introduced in a number of ways here, from musical rivalry to forbidden relationships, as this plot is very open to interpretation and there’s just a lot of possibility here. I’m very open to discussion!
Set in the deep American South around the early to mid-19th century, pre-Civil War, the wealthy owner of a plantation in the deep south dies, leaving the plantation, as well as any and all assets, to his only legitimate son. This would all be fine and dandy, if it weren't for the fact that said son is a recluse who hasn't been spotted outside the plantation in years, and was rumored to have killed his mother when he was merely a child, in addition to speculation that he is the devil in human guise or has made a deal with the devil (I do have a character that I can use for the son with this plot that helps clarify much of this). In light of his father's death, the son faces further accusations that he is unfit to run the plantation as a whole, as well as rampant speculation that there might have been foul play on his behalf in relation to his father’s death. Relatives, near and distant, family friends, as well as complete strangers flock to the plantation in the wake of the owner's death, all with their own morally questionable incentives, all jumping at the chance to possibly get their hands on the property and fortune left behind to the son, who they believe to be in vulnerable state, as well as possibly incompetent all together. This plot would include some darker, grittier themes, some of which are a product of the time period it's set in, and may be a bit touchier so forewarning there. I am also very open to including some more supernatural elements if that's something you have interest in!
This plot is centered around an investigation-type scenario in a small town in the American South after a string of mysterious events, from minor violent crimes to disappearances and murders, where local police and investigators find themselves stuck in a rut with no consistent story and a mess of very different he said, she said claims from the eccentric town. After months have passed with no leads, town officials decide to bring in outside investigators to work on the case. All the while the locals are growing more and more impatient with the law enforcement, and some even decide to take matters into their own hands, perhaps because they have personal connections to the crimes, or maybe just because they're interested or fed up with all the commotion in their sleepy little town. I'd say this plot is is probably best suited for a time in the late 1970s through early 1990s, with a little less advanced investigation technology available.
So this isn’t a plot that I’ve fully fleshed out, but I read a short story a while back (the yellow wallpaper, if you’re interested in looking into it) and kind of drew inspiration from that. Basically the idea would focus on a young heir/ess that suffers from mental illness in the mid to late 19th century (time period is flexible, but nothing after the early 20th century), whose overbearing spouse has to leave the estate for an extended period of time (perhaps on a business trip or to visit family overseas, something of the like). Because said spouse is overbearing, taking near complete control of the heir’s life because they believe their illness renders them incapable of caring for their self and acting independently, they hire a nurse/doctor/someone to tend to the house and take care of the heir while they are gone. Initially the heir is quite skeptical of their new keeper, and purposefully acts/lashes out, but as time wears on, they come to find that not only can they confide in this person, but they also have more independence and freedom than ever before, and find an unusual camaraderie. For this idea there’s quite a bit of flexibility as to who the caretaker is, as well as what kind of relationship they develop with the heir, whether it be a strictly platonic friendship or something more.
I definitely don’t have any full-fledged plots for these time periods, but I would like to explore more romantic themes during these periods, as well as power dynamics, deceit, persuasion, heartbreak, and betrayal. Perhaps something like Hadrian and Antinous, an emperor and his favorite, or perhaps two star-crossed lovers going into battle together, something similar to Achilles and Patroclus. Or we could do something entirely different, like two men that forge a bond while serving side by side on the battlefield.
This idea is a bit different, based on this song and a short prompt someone left in a comment there:

A preacher’s son, drunk off moonshine and heartache, howling at the moon in a cornfield.

While I do not have a full-on plot for this, I do have a lot of ideas percolating in my head that I'd love to throw out there and collaborate with someone. This doesn't necessarily need to be based off a preacher's son, it could definitely just be an estranged young gay man and his bisexual lover who is seemingly drifting apart from him, but I really just love the mood of longing and heartbreak in the countryside the song sets, and really want to create something based off of that.

If you are interested in something that I haven’t mentioned, feel free to make a proposal or ask me about it, I might surprise you! Please feel free to PM me if you’re at all interested. I would prefer you only post below if you are unable to pm. When you contact me, please tell me a little about yourself, your age, your preferences, as well as the genre/s you’d be interested in writing with me. I’d also love to hear of any ideas or plots you have of your own. Thanks in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back