• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Country Girls (1x1)

OOC
Here

_Chrysanthemum_

Skittle? Skrillet? Skimmer... SKILLET!
The dust cleared as her truck rolled up to her new ranch.
My new ranch.
She repeated the words in her head, still kind of worried it was all a dream. Nocona opened the door of her car and stepped out, taking a deep breath of the fresh country air. She closed her eyes as a smile played on her lips. Turning, she walked around to the bed of her truck and let Joob, her dog, out of her crate. The border collie jumped down and barked once, expressing her excitement. Nocona smiled again and walked up the steps of her new house. She opened the door and poked her head inside. It was a little dusty, but overall beautiful. The door led to an open area that connected the kitchen, living room, and a door that veered off into what she assumed to be the master bedroom. She opened the door and discovered that yes, it was indeed the master bedroom.

After exploring the rest of the house she decided to wander around the propriety. It was, according to her grandfather, about 160 acres, most of which was overgrown. She wandered around a little, finding a stable connected to a large paddock of grass. A barn was close by, so she decided to peek in there too. She finished looking around and went back to the house, where she found Joob snooping around the kitchen.
"Hey Joobie, what are ya' thinking? Do you like it? I hope you do because you live here." Nocona crouched down and scratched Joob. Joob closed her eyes and rolled over, clearly happy and satisfied. Nocona was too. She would finally be able to live out her dream life. On a farm, with her animals. She was finally content.

Last edited:
Lilian O'Connor, a seventy something year old widow, watched the truck roll past her ranch towards the old Raies place and its land. Old man Richard Raies, a sort of joke since the man passed at 65, had been a dear friend and she'd been devastated to hear from mutual acquaintances the man had lost his battle with colon cancer. To her knowledge she had heard his estate was still in probate awaiting dispersement by the executor.

"Hey grandma! Who was that driving by towards the Raies place?"

Lilian shook her head waving off her nineteen year old granddaughter. "One of his kin I suppose. You keep an eye on your cousins Kara, I'm going to go introduce myself. Whoevers gone up there must be moving in. Lord Above knows the Raies place is overgrown and going to need a lot of work to get in working order." Making her way to a truck she kept for going in town, nothing fancy or new but enough to haul groceries and grandkids, she began to ponder how to introduce herself to the new resident. They lived in a small town so they'd meet eventually but she didn't want to come across as that nosy type of neighbor. Turning the ignition and putting the car in gear she backed out onto the road before making her way up the road.

Reaching the Raies ranch she whistled seeing just how overgrown the grounds in front of the house were. It'd take a team of landscapers just to get the brush under control let alone groom to be nice. If the front was this bad she shuddered to think what the other one hundred and sixty acres looked like, particularly the horses paddock. Parking in front of the house within the large dirt turnaround she honked the horn as she killed the engine and got out of the truck. "Howdy, names Lilian O'Connor. I'm your new neighbor down the road" she said shading her face with a hand above her eyes. "You wouldn't happen to be related to Old Richard Raies wouldya?" she asked once she saw a person and dog emerge from the front door.

"Hi! Why yes, yes I am! He was my grandfather." Nocona said. She walked over to where Lilian was standing, shaking her hand. "I'm Nocona, and this is my sweet dog Joob." Joob barked when she heard her name.
"I just moved here from Seattle. Beautiful city, but it wasn't for me. I only lived there for a few years before Grandfather died." She told Lilian. "So how long have you lived here?"
As she waited for an answer she looked around once again at her new land. It wasn't the prettiest, that was for sure, especially seeing as the last year or two he stopped taking care of his ranch. Cancer hit him hard, and most days he said he felt like it was impossible to do anything. He surrendered his three horses when he realized he wouldn't be able to take care of them, along with all his other animals. She missed him.

Lilian returned the handshake and against the protest of her old knees she bent down to pet the dogs head. "I couldn't stomach living in the city. Too crowded. Too polluted. Everyone sticking their noses in your business." She shook her head standing up straight. "I been out here... Gosh, must almost be sixty years now. Married out of highschool, times were a lot different then than they are now, and settled down here with my husband God rest his soul. I knew you grandfather, he was good honest man. I was one of the few to call him a truly close friend at the end. Not too many like him left these days" she said, her eyes focused on the young woman.

For one so young to inherit his ranch was not quite odd but it did raise an eyebrow from her. There were older grandchildren, Richard had bragged about his grandkids when he had the strength to do so and show the many pictured he had, but for her to inherit it was an odd choice. Sure she remembered the young woman as a child loving it up here and helping with the animals but faintly recalled the many proclamations that she'd make it big someday somewhere. Or was she confusing one of her many grandkids that wants to act? Shaking her head she leaned against her truck. "If you don't mind my asking, what do you plan to do with the ranch? She ain't pretty but her bones are still good for a working ranch. Course it'll be a miracle to get this overgrow under control by yourself."

"I don't mind. I'm not sure yet. I may get some cattle and make a livin' that way, or I may get a job in town and just own some animals as a hobby. I don't know." Nocona shrugged and continued. "I know what you mean, the city made me claustrophobic. Ever since I was a little girl I wanted to live in the countryside. Then somewhere in late high school, I got obsessed with fame and Hollywood and decided I wanted to strike it big. Well, when I moved I realized that was not at all what I wanted but I didn't have enough money to move again. I was miserable, but I got a job and for the next few years I worked my ass off to make enough money to move again. Turns out I didn't really have to do that since my grandfather died, but I guess better safe than sorry. Sorry, I tend to go off on tangents."

"As for overgrowth, I have no idea. I suppose I'll try to do it myself, then give up after pulling like two bushes and hire someone." The sun was high in the sky by now, she was surprised how much time had gone by already. "I would invite you inside for tea or coffee, but I don't have any food yet."

"Fame and fortune are never truly what they appear to be dear" Lilian said with a knowing and kind smile. "Workin' the land and with the animals is the only real way to make an honest living if you ask most folks around here. I was upset to see those beautiful horses your grandfather had go. Understandable why of course, cancer is a retched thing." A momentary scowl overtook her lips before disappearing. "If it doesn't sound presumptuous to any degree, why don't you join me for something to eat? Some of the other neighbors over at my ranch so you can meet almost everyone and Joob here" she scratched the dogs head by its ears "can get some exercise playing with the kids. A lot of the kids only have the work animals on the farm, I'm sure having a dog around to play with would be just as exciting for them as this pretty girl right here. What do you think Joob, you want to play?"

Perhaps it was the nostalgia of when she first started on the ranch with her husband so many decades ago with their own border collie they named Collen. Perhaps it was a tiny measure of pride to see a young person taking up the ranching life even if it was unsure if she would work it as a career or more of a private hobby. Nonetheless she like Nocona, her energy just felt good for lack of a proper descriptor. It was kind feeling and almost seemed to just radiate this intent to live the land as it was intended. "Your bags will still be here when you get back. I promise I don't bite." She threw out a playful wink before looking up to the sky. Had that much time passed already? It had to be nearing noontime almost. "Don't make me force you though. Figured I'd be neighborly is all and give you a little introduction to everyone whose going to be part of your life for the foreseeable future. If you want to follow me down to my ranch your more than welcome. If you want to come down later, by all means come on down and bring your dog with you. It'll be an all day affair, we do it every week." With a friendly nod she began circling back around to the drivers side and hopped into her truck. At the very least the land would stay within the community of families that helped to cultivate it in the first place, small miracles in her mind as the engine roared to life.

"Thanks!" Nocona called as Lilian climbed in the truck. "I'll be there!"
She smiled to herself, glad to have met someone already, especially someone so nice.
"you wanna go an adventure, Joobie? Yeah, good girl!" She scratched the red border collie and finished unloading her boxes into her house. Then she grabbed Joob's ball and leash and hopped in the truck, where Joob was already waiting. She followed the narrow road until she saw Lilian's car parked in a driveway. The house next to it was a relatively big, wooden farmhouse. The landscaping around it was equally as beautiful, and so was the big cherry blossom tree out front. She knocked on the front door and it was immediately answered by a young lady who couldn't have been older than 20.
"oh, hello. Is this... uh is this the right house? Does a Lilian live here?"

A knock echoed through the laughter of the large farm house.

"Someone get the door!"

A tall young woman, Lilian's oldest granddaughter merely rolled her eyes at her brothers lazy call. Brushing back bright red hair into a quick ponytail she strode over to the door and opened it. "Hey" she said with a lazy drawl, the sort that was ingrained in every southern born and bred country guy and gal. "You must be Nocona right? Grandma said you might stop by for the shindig after you settled your boxes into old man Richard's place. Everyones in the back, come on in. We aren't a cult I promise." A crooked but charming sort of smile ticked up the corner of her lips. Spotting the leashed dog chewing on a ball she crouched down offering her hand for the canine to sniff. "And who is this pretty girl huh? You want to be friends poochy?" she asked scratching the dogs ears only after being sniffed and seemingly being determined as not a threat.

"Rachael, who is at the do- Oh Nocona, lovely to see you decided to come down and say hello. Don't stand there all day like a frog on a log, come join us in the back. Johnathan is finishing up some food on the grill." Then as quick as Lilian's head was in the door to the backyard facing the front door it was gone.

"Grans a little crazy sometimes. Come on, I'll introduce you to everyone."

"'okay!" Nocona raised an eyebrow but stepped inside. The interior was simple but cozy and in typical country style. The entire house was filled with the tantalizing scent of peach pie, and she couldn't help but ask.
"somebody cookin'? Peach pie perhaps?"
Nocona took this time to take a good look at her company. She had bright red hair with a freckled face and beautiful blue eyes. Her skin was pale and also bore freckles, with a confident stature about her.

She was lead through the house and into the backyard, where one or two dozen people stood laughing and cracking jokes.

"Yeah, mom bakes a lot and makes all kinds of stuff for these weekly get togethers" Rachael said with a shrug. Leading Nocona through the house noticed the other taking a look around and raised an eyebrow to herself. Her grandmothers place was simple and cozy but she liked it. It was functional, welcoming and considering the ranch was a working one there was no need for all the fancy doo-dads of the city. "Bathroom is down that hallway fourth door on your right, sunroom is to the left third door down" either pointed in the respective direction of said hallway "and the kitchens ahead of us. Don't mind the mess on the counter, moms a really good baker when it comes to pies and stuff but she doesn't follow recipes so messes of varying degrees are to be expected. Her name is Alice and contrary to her looks, she's almost fifty despite looking to be in her early thirties."

"Rachael Alexandra!"

"You are the one who told me to never lie mom" Rachael said as they passed through the kitchen and out the door to the backyard. She pointed out some of the older guys there, mostly the guys who made a living breeding and selling cattle, while her eyes drifted occasionally to a cute girl. "Oh, if you want to get horses back on the property at any time in the future I'd suggest talking to her." She pointed to a slightly older lady why blonde hair, dark green eyes and a light olive complexion. "Mrs. Gilroy knows her way around horses better than anyone in the business I know. Plus" she leaned in conspiratorially towards Nocona "her daughter is pretty hot and a really, really good horse trainer."

"Rachael, are you trying to corrupt another innocent young woman again?"

Rachael grinned slightly with a butter wouldn't melt in hell smile on her lips. "Me? Corrupt an innocent young woman gran? Never! How could you assume that of me? My feelings are hurt" she said with a mock hurt but amused tone. It wasn't her fault that girls appealed to her more than guys.

"hmm, I'm intrigued..." Nocona smiles, considering this. "But why would you point her out if you liked her? Are you sure you aren't trying to screw me over by sending me after a straight girl?"
She put her hand on her hip and thought of expanding her dream to allow space for another person in her life. It could work...
"But I think I need to get the ranch back to what it was before I bring any horses onto the property. Scratch that, all I need to do is clean out the paddock and stables, buy feed and any tack she was missing, and find the right horses. I'm too impatient to wait until the whole property is under control, that could take years!" She sighed as she thought about the responsible thing to do versus what she wanted to do. That was good middle ground, right? "But yes, I think I will go talk to her anyway."

She walked off in Mrs. Gilroy's direction. While Nocona waited for her conversation to end she pretended to busy herself getting a glass of water. While she did so she scanned the guests to try and find someone who looked like Mrs. Gilroy that may be her daughter. She couldn't find anyone, but she may have just been somewhere Nocona couldn't see.

Finally, Mrs. Gilroy ends her conversation. Nocona takes this time to start a new one before anyone else can. "So I hear you know your way around horses?" She says as she approaches her. "I'm looking for a few, two or three that is, horses to add some life to my new farm. Of course not right now, it's only my first day here, but sometime soon?"

"Honey, sweety, baby, darling, dear... If I wanted to send you after a straight girl I'd point you at my cousin Sierra" Rachael said laughing lightly. "My gaydar is as tuned to the point of flawless as your butt is. Hot as she is, I don't date foreigners even if they have sexy british accents. You though, I think you might be her type and speed. I met her once or twice. She is sexy as all hell and a serious case of being single. Now if you'll excuse me, I have a particular raven haired geek to charm out of her clothes. Ta" Rachael said with a playful wink before disappearing into the crowd of people toward a gaggle of young laughing about something.

Mrs. Gilroy was about to get Rory, a local horse trader, about a recent sale of mares and foals to inquire about her health when she heard a voice address her from behind. Turning her head to look upon the person addressing her she arch an eyebrow at the question. "I know my way a fair bit around horses. Mom and dad brought me up on them. Breeding, training, buying and selling to those who have the ability to properly care for them... You could say I know my way around horses pretty well." Turning completely to face the young woman she crossed her arms under her buxom chest lightly. "Well, I'll have to see how quickly you can clean up the stables and paddocks before all the gear is restocked. When you got all that done, come talk to me again and I'll do a walkthrough of your facilities. Here's my business card, my cell is on the back" she said drawing a card from her pocket. "One quick question though, I saw you talking to Rachel O'Connor. Has she been spouting off about my daughter again?" There was humor in her green eyes.

"I- well, she... yeah. yeah, she's got nothing but good things to say about her though, don't worry!" Nocona admitted, guessing that she meant it not as an accusation, but more good-natured. She took the business card and put it in her back pocket, then grinned happily and thanked her. It was so good to be amongst people who were not repulsed at the idea of living in close proximity to farm animals. It was so easy to talk to these people. She was so happy.

Deciding to look around a bit, she walks over to what looks like a chicken coop. Seeing a head through the mesh she confirms that it is, in fact, a chicken coop. She finds and opens the door and tries to persuade a light brown and white hen to come to her. After grabbing some of their food and holding it in her hand for a while the hen finally comes close to her. Reaching her hand out, she's able to pet the hen and eventually pick her up. Realizing she had probably already spent too much time sitting with chickens she says goodbye to them and goes inside to wash her hands.

(I don't know)

Mrs. Gilroy chuckled in amusement watching the young woman leave, her eyes tracking the young woman to the chicken coop used by Lilian's younger grandchildren to teach them responsibility on the farm. So Rachael was trying to play matchmaker for her girl again? This would be interesting considering her only child would be coming soon to visit for a while. Taking out her phone she entered her unlock code before shooting off a text to daughter to check in. Stuffing it back in her pocket she went about her business. Interesting times were about to be upon them and maybe, just maybe, her daughter might find the love she desperately craved without talking about.

(If you want to jump it ahead of to the point the ranch is ready for horses, be my guest. The whole start to getting her in touch with the community start doesn't have to take a million posts so that we can branch out the story later on instead of stalling it around one point later on)

Uhh, let's jump ahead to maybe... a week and a half or so from now? If she rented some kind of landscaping vehicle that would be enough time to have done most of it, if not all, yes? then we can start with the last day of cleaning the nearby area so it looks presentable.

- time jump ahead 10 days -

The sound of the last roots being pulled up pulled her out of her mechanical routine. She blinked, looking around the now relatively open field she had created.
Woah. She jumped out of her truck after throwing the bush into her now-massive pile and took a deep breath. Nocona parked her truck and went back inside. Furniture was still a struggle, since there wasn't a furniture store near her, so she only had what she brought with her. Not a big deal, but the decor was lacking and she was looking to replace some of her old, worn-out stuff.

She went into the stable to check on what tack they had and found that the saddles and bridles, once properly cleaned, were perfectly fine, but the blankets could use being replaced. She also decided to buy all-new brushes and hoof picks and such just fur sanitary reasons. She called to Joob and put her in her crate in the back, then got in the driver's seat and went to the feed store. She bought a few bags of grain and three bales of hay, which should last two horses a while when their main diet consists of fresh grass. Then she went to a tack supply store and bought what she was missing, and finally drove to a dog park, where she sat on a bench while Joob played.

"I mean really mother, must you be so bold? Just because I.. No, I do not think your opinion is meaningless but my love life... You will have grandchildren as soon as I meet the right woman and we decide whether it'll be adoption or an anonymous donor." The raven haired bombshell sighed as she walked through the entrance to the dog park near her mothers rural community. Dark blue eyes rolled in their sockets as the leash in her hand was tugged by an excited Irish Wolfhound. "Look, can we talk about this when I get home? I have Sebastian about to run amok on the dog park and I would like for the ruckus to be a minimum. Yes yes mother, hugs and kisses to you as well." The unoccupied hand hit the blue toothear piece as she took a seat on the other relatively free bench next to a cute young woman. "Mind if I sit with you?" she asked motioning to the bench.

The canine on the leash barked and tried to get free to go play

"You are a giant baby Sebastian. A spoiled, rotten baby." Despite the rolling of her eyes, the british accented words were spoken with such love and care for the dog who whined looking up at her. "Go play before we have to go terrorize your grandmother you scamp" she said after kissing the top of the canines head and unclipping his collar letting the dog bounce off to join the chaos of the other unchained dogs. "Dogs like people, can't live with them and can't live without them right?"

"That's fine!" Nocona motioned to the seat next to her. "I like your dog. Sebastion, you called him?

"Yeah, my dog, she's the red border collie who's sniffing that labrador over there, she's sweet but lord she takes a lot of energy. Well, anyway, hi, my name's Nocona. I know, weird name. I just moved here a little less than two weeks ago from Seattle."

Nocona looks up at who she's talking to for the first time and her heart skips a beat. Wow, she's something alright. "Are you by any chance Mrs. Gilroy's daughter?"

The raven haired woman chuckled softly. "I know precisely what you mean. Sebastian has wolf blood in him so trying to take him out for walks to get just a fraction of the energy burned off is task all in itself" she said with a tiny fond smile watching the wolfhound chase after a gold lab. "Erica, charmed to meet you Nocona. Forgive me if this sounds presumptive but do you have any native blood in your family? Could explain your name. Nocona is a word the comanche use for wanderers. No! Sebastian, what have I taught you about being aggressive? Excuse me a moment."

Getting up she ran over to Sebastian who was growling at Husky. Clipping the leash onto the wolfhounds collar she pulled him back to the bench scolding him the entire way. "Sorry bout that, his wolf blood is as endearing as it is a hassle. I trained you better than that" she said switching her gaze back to the whining hound. "You get to sit here and think about what you did young man. Ugh, boys no matter their species." Erica's eyes rolled even as she patted Sebastian's head. Hearing the question aimed at her, her eyes turned back to look at Nocona questioningly. "You've met my mother already and she's told you about me? All good stuff I hope."

"I don't mind you asking, and yes I have some Comanche blood on my mother's side. She's related directly to Cynthia Ann Parker on both sides, I believe." Nocona nodded, watching in amusement as Erica ran to get Sebastion. She calls Joob to her side, and after a moment or two of considering whether it would be more beneficial to stay with her new german shepherd friend or come, Joob ran back to Nocona.

"Good girl." Nocona praised the energetic ball of fur, scratching behind her ears. As Joob sniffed Sebastion she turned to Erica. "Yes, of course, all good things. I haven't found anything to complain about so far. You're beautiful, you're nice, you have a dog, that's gotta count toward something! Oh, and I hear you're quite the horse trainer."

Sebastian let out a huffing bark as he was sniffed by the other dog before he bumped his muzzle against the other. Sniffing her back his tail wagged a little before playfully trying to bite the female dog. His aggression could get out of hand with other males but with female dogs he wouldn't intentionally cause them harm.

"Beautiful you say? That's rather forward for us just meeting don't you think?" Erica asked with a rather playful but suggestive raising and lowering of her eyebrows. Try as she might to make it playful types of flirty she couldn't hold it and snickered softly for a minute. "I appreciate the compliment though, you're rather fetching yourself. Not to mention Joob here, such a pretty girl huh? Who's a pretty girl huh?" Her eyes glimmered with warmth and amusement as she rubbed at the border collies ears. When it came up that Nocona had heard she was good with horses her eyes turned to look back at the other with a raised eyebrow again though it was more a business curious eyebrow raised. "I would say I'm fair. Mum taught me the bones of what her family taught her and dad taught me the show side so I'm good enough. You looking to get horses?" she asked leaning back against the bench as Sebastian laid his head on her lap.

"Hey, I'd be lying if I said I didn't think you're pretty." She shrugged, her cheeks warm.

As she watched their two dogs interact she thought about when she would get horses. She had all of the gear and feed in the back of her truck, all she needed was the horses. She didn't want to get them on impulse, but seeing as she had been waiting for this moment for so long she could hardly wait and decided to give herself some slack. When she heard Erica bring up the topic of getting horses she immediately perked up. "Yeah, I was planning on calling your mom soon, maybe tomorrow. She gave me her business card when we last talked and said when I got my place cleaned up a bit to call her." She explained, absent-mindedly burying her hand in Joob's fur.

"Sounds like my mom alright" Erica said rolling her eyes. "Take it as a compliment really, she probably already said it when you two last spoke but she doesn't do business unless she's certain the people wanting to get horses through her will love and take care of the animals as they deserve. The number of horses that end up in kill pens because people don't take care of them the right way and then just give up disgusts her. Me too if I'm honest with you." Brushing some strands from her face she looked contemplative for a moment. "So where do you live that you're set to buy horses? I obviously don't need to tell you that they need a lot of room and equipment to maintain their health let alone exercise need. The only place around here that is open is... I think old man Raies is still running his ranch up by the communal lake. I haven't heard from him for a while though" she said with a frown.

Sebastian barked and jerked the leash a little before sniffing at Nocona. This female human that was interacting with human smelled different, sweet but different and seemed to express a physical interest in his human. His instincts weren't telling him she was a danger so for the time being she would be watched. Licking her once he bonked his head against the border collie trying to entice her to play with him.

She took pride in the fact that people who had lived around horses their entire lives thought she was capable of taking care of the majestic animals.

"Does anyone think it's okay to do that to an animal? especially one so smart? Man, people disgust me." She shakes her head and sighs. Absent-mindedly she combs through her hair with her hand. Joob barked at Sebastion as he pushed her over with his head, and quickly jumped back to her paws. She snaped playfully at the giant scruffy dog and started to chase him. Nocona watch in amusement as her relatively small dog chased Erica's giant dog around the park.

Oh, I guess she hasn't heard yet. I don't know why she would have, seeing as she only visits from time to time.

"Oh, you havn't heard? Richard Raies, my grandfather, he died of Colon cancer. Must have been, what, a year ago? really, has it been that long already? I guess so." Nocona said, cringing a little on the inside. "I inherited it from him. That's why I moved here, because he left it to me." She frowned as she thought about him. He had always been a nice, genuine guy. Yes, maybe a little laughable at times, but you could tell he loved his work and he loved his family.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back