• When posting, please be aware that artistic nudity is still nudity and not allowed under RpNation rules. Please edit your pictures accordingly!

Remember to credit artists when using work not your own.

Music Could someone help me please?

Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Hey everyone!
I'm totally aware that, this is probably for posting finished projects only, but that's the only thing I have found so far, so I'm posting this here anyways.

Here's the thing:
I would love to write and sing my own song, but I either don't have any ideas or I have way too many to finish something (they always end up sucking like crazy as well). So if somebody could help me and/or inspire me, that would be really awesome!

Here's a bit of info, to help you determine if you can help me:
- I'm a hobby musician, who's far from perfect, but good enough to do something
- The instruments that I play are: drums, electric guitar, ukulele, flute (including some variations e.g. the piccolo) and I sing as well

I hope that that will suffice for something and I'll post the finished product as soon as it'd be finished.

Hey everyone!
I'm totally aware that, this is probably for posting finished projects only, but that's the only thing I have found so far, so I'm posting this here anyways.

Here's the thing:
I would love to write and sing my own song, but I either don't have any ideas or I have way too many to finish something (they always end up sucking like crazy as well). So if somebody could help me and/or inspire me, that would be really awesome!

Here's a bit of info, to help you determine if you can help me:
- I'm a hobby musician, who's far from perfect, but good enough to do something
- The instruments that I play are: drums, electric guitar, ukulele, flute (including some variations e.g. the piccolo) and I sing as well

I hope that that will suffice for something and I'll post the finished product as soon as it'd be finished.

Well, how do you personally usually get inspired? Inspiration comes and goes.

I don't play any instruments or write any music sheets, but i'm good at making myself inspired. Even if i am not currently inspired at the time, I know what triggers inspiration for me.

I had a dream once of being a singer in a band. But I never got around to it. I had planned on writing the lyrics for songs for a band, but didn't ever do that either.

For me, as far as music goes, inspiration depends on at least two things. If I have a good rhythm, and and if I have an idea.

If you want to. here's some original lyrics. It might help if you find a way to make music to go with the lyrics, and in turn get you inspired.

Chrysalis Minor
By The Explorer

When the words that turn my head,
Force me to act on actions i'd rather put in my past,
I will shed my will,
For the honest reliance on my skills as a writer,
The one who holds the world,
Has nowhere to go.

Someone has a stone that freezes time,
A minor annoyance to this heart of mine,
But still I press on to the higher ground,
My emotions the source of my faltering now.

Life is a joy but only if you can see it in a unique and different way,
So let's all go to the realm of far away,
Where death and sorrow no longer meet,
With the dawn of tomorrow,
We will all see.

Chorus

When i'm falling head first on the ground,
Out of the sky from a mile down,
I will trust in myself and make a way.

I tried to give you a rhythm, and you should know the perfect beat for the drums to use.
See if you can make some music to go with that.

Let me know if it helps.

Well, how do you personally usually get inspired? Inspiration comes and goes.

I don't play any instruments or write any music sheets, but i'm good at making myself inspired. Even if i am not currently inspired at the time, I know what triggers inspiration for me.

I had a dream once of being a singer in a band. But I never got around to it. I had planned on writing the lyrics for songs for a band, but didn't ever do that either.

For me, as far as music goes, inspiration depends on at least two things. If I have a good rhythm, and and if I have an idea.

If you want to. here's some original lyrics. It might help if you find a way to make music to go with the lyrics, and in turn get you inspired.

Chrysalis Minor
By The Explorer

When the words that turn my head,
Force me to act on actions i'd rather put in my past,
I will shed my will,
For the honest reliance on my skills as a writer,
The one who holds the world,
Has nowhere to go.

Someone has a stone that freezes time,
A minor annoyance to this heart of mine,
But still I press on to the higher ground,
My emotions the source of my faltering now.

Life is a joy but only if you can see it in a unique and different way,
So let's all go to the realm of far away,
Where death and sorrow no longer meet,
With the dawn of tomorrow,
We will all see.

Chorus

When i'm falling head first on the ground,
Out of the sky from a mile down,
I will trust in myself and make a way.

I tried to give you a rhythm, and you should know the perfect beat for the drums to use.
See if you can make some music to go with that.

Let me know if it helps.
Thank you so much! I'm currently at school, so I can't really work on it now. I'll try to try it out this weekend, though.

Inspiration strikes everyone differently, especially with music. All of our brains are wired differently as far as what strikes the right note (pun intended) within us and tickles our fancy when we listen.

So I would advise doing one of a few things to help inspire yourself using different methods:

1) Go outside and take a walk, and as you walk just hum to yourself. You don't need to have any particular melody in mind. Just start humming.

Walking has a weird way of helping keep the gears turning in the mind even if walking is a largely unconscious effort. So try going for a walk and just hum something. If you find a melody you like, sing it on a loop until you get home so you can keep it fresh and, hopefully, memorized, and write it down as quickly as possible or record yourself on your phone or computer.

2) Pick up one of your instruments of choice, and start playing. Again, don't bother trying to pick a key or dictate a tempo or anything. Just start playing. Let your fingers/hands/voice wander and just come up with whatever happens as you go. If even a small collection of notes seems to stick out to you, play just those notes over and over and over again. Your brain will put something together, and from there you're off and running.

3) Listen to your favorite musicians/bands performing your favorite songs. Listen to the main melodies, sing them to yourself, and then try playing one of those melodies and start changing notes around one at a time. Eventually, you'll have come up with something completely different from what you started with, and it'll be something you can run with.

4) Pick a random emotion, and listen to the soundtrack of a tv series or film that focuses on that emotion. If it's "fear," listen to Jaws. If it's "excitement," listen to an action series/film score. Etc. Listen carefully to the chord progressions and where certain chords are landing in the progression to accomplish the intended effect at key points where the music intensifies. Then, try coming up with your own chord progression to accomplish the same kind of emotional effect. Record it. Then try coming up with a melody.

5) Meditate. I know it sounds simple and kind of weird, but seriously just sit down, close your eyes, keep your back straight (sitting against the wall helps with this), and focus on absolutely nothing except keeping a steady stream of deep breaths going for a few minutes. When you're done, immediately go to an instrument and hit the first note (or the first thing your stick touches if it's the drums) and just let it ring. Focus on the note itself, and try to figure out how the note is making you feel. Once you know how that note makes you feel, try writing a melody around that note and feeling you got from it.

6) Eat something. Sounds silly, I know. But after you finish a meal, go to your instrument of choice and start playing something upbeat. If needed, use a chord progression you know from a song you like, and then start trying to listen to the progression and see if you can come up with something.

7) Draw something. Even if you're not an artist, just pick up a piece of paper and a pen/pencil and start doodling something. When you're finished, just stare at it for a bit and see if it makes you think of a melody or brings some kind of emotion to you. Once you have it, start playing.

8) Take a break. Breaks and rest are essential for a creative mind. The more anxious, excited, or over-stimulated your mind is, the less likely you are to be able to let ideas flow freely. You'll start to overthink things, second guess the ideas the more you play them (which is the opposite of what should be happening), and overall experience a frustrating period of very little to no progress.

Hopefully these have given you some ideas on things you can try. Feel free to come up with your own activities to try out to see if any of them help you. As I said earlier, everyone's different. Not all of the above work for me personally, but I know they work for others I've met during my time in college getting my music degree.

Good luck!

Inspiration strikes everyone differently, especially with music. All of our brains are wired differently as far as what strikes the right note (pun intended) within us and tickles our fancy when we listen.

So I would advise doing one of a few things to help inspire yourself using different methods:

1) Go outside and take a walk, and as you walk just hum to yourself. You don't need to have any particular melody in mind. Just start humming.

Walking has a weird way of helping keep the gears turning in the mind even if walking is a largely unconscious effort. So try going for a walk and just hum something. If you find a melody you like, sing it on a loop until you get home so you can keep it fresh and, hopefully, memorized, and write it down as quickly as possible or record yourself on your phone or computer.

2) Pick up one of your instruments of choice, and start playing. Again, don't bother trying to pick a key or dictate a tempo or anything. Just start playing. Let your fingers/hands/voice wander and just come up with whatever happens as you go. If even a small collection of notes seems to stick out to you, play just those notes over and over and over again. Your brain will put something together, and from there you're off and running.

3) Listen to your favorite musicians/bands performing your favorite songs. Listen to the main melodies, sing them to yourself, and then try playing one of those melodies and start changing notes around one at a time. Eventually, you'll have come up with something completely different from what you started with, and it'll be something you can run with.

4) Pick a random emotion, and listen to the soundtrack of a tv series or film that focuses on that emotion. If it's "fear," listen to Jaws. If it's "excitement," listen to an action series/film score. Etc. Listen carefully to the chord progressions and where certain chords are landing in the progression to accomplish the intended effect at key points where the music intensifies. Then, try coming up with your own chord progression to accomplish the same kind of emotional effect. Record it. Then try coming up with a melody.

5) Meditate. I know it sounds simple and kind of weird, but seriously just sit down, close your eyes, keep your back straight (sitting against the wall helps with this), and focus on absolutely nothing except keeping a steady stream of deep breaths going for a few minutes. When you're done, immediately go to an instrument and hit the first note (or the first thing your stick touches if it's the drums) and just let it ring. Focus on the note itself, and try to figure out how the note is making you feel. Once you know how that note makes you feel, try writing a melody around that note and feeling you got from it.

6) Eat something. Sounds silly, I know. But after you finish a meal, go to your instrument of choice and start playing something upbeat. If needed, use a chord progression you know from a song you like, and then start trying to listen to the progression and see if you can come up with something.

7) Draw something. Even if you're not an artist, just pick up a piece of paper and a pen/pencil and start doodling something. When you're finished, just stare at it for a bit and see if it makes you think of a melody or brings some kind of emotion to you. Once you have it, start playing.

8) Take a break. Breaks and rest are essential for a creative mind. The more anxious, excited, or over-stimulated your mind is, the less likely you are to be able to let ideas flow freely. You'll start to overthink things, second guess the ideas the more you play them (which is the opposite of what should be happening), and overall experience a frustrating period of very little to no progress.

Hopefully these have given you some ideas on things you can try. Feel free to come up with your own activities to try out to see if any of them help you. As I said earlier, everyone's different. Not all of the above work for me personally, but I know they work for others I've met during my time in college getting my music degree.

Good luck!
thanks for the tips!!

A musician needs help in LEGO City!

When it comes down to the nitty-gritty of composition, you should always start by studying. I'm a music educator, and the number one thing I was taught in music composition classes was to study. Study your theory. Study your scales. Study your instrument. Take notes, make connections.

I'd need to know how experienced you are to give you specific advice, but just start from the fundamentals and go up. Pick some chord progressions. Throw on some P&N motions. Transcribe Christmas carols, if you have to (that's how I got started). Most importantly, make mistakes. Get messy. Keep trying. Believe in the me who believes in you.

A musician needs help in LEGO City!

When it comes down to the nitty-gritty of composition, you should always start by studying. I'm a music educator, and the number one thing I was taught in music composition classes was to study. Study your theory. Study your scales. Study your instrument. Take notes, make connections.

I'd need to know how experienced you are to give you specific advice, but just start from the fundamentals and go up. Pick some chord progressions. Throw on some P&N motions. Transcribe Christmas carols, if you have to (that's how I got started). Most importantly, make mistakes. Get messy. Keep trying. Believe in the me who believes in you.
Thanks for the tips and your support!

What i always do is pick three or four chords and write a song using those. I normally try to get my inspiration from either things I've been experiencing or events I know others are going through. I don't know how much this'll help, but I hope you find what you're looking for! <3

What i always do is pick three or four chords and write a song using those. I normally try to get my inspiration from either things I've been experiencing or events I know others are going through. I don't know how much this'll help, but I hope you find what you're looking for! <3
Thanks for the help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back