• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Other
Here
Nothing could be seen when Hector inspected the source of the scuttling. All that he saw was some marks on the wall leading up to the ceiling.

Furrowing his brows, Hector glanced up at the walls, looking up from where the marks began, towards the ceiling. The last thing he wanted to be dealing with was...whatever the hell this was, right now. He could put a call to security but the ship hadn't even taken off yet. Was it some sort of animal that snuck into some food supplies? Though, somehow a thought crept up on him that it wouldn't be as simple as that.

Hector reached into his pocket and drew out a pair of engineering goggles. This pair was designed with a feature that let him zoom into the innards of delicate machinery to isolate whatever issue ails them with several different settings designed for that very purpose. This wasn't even his best pair...just one he kept with him for luck. Still, it did its job all the same.

Clicking through several sliders to activate heat sensory, he began to scan the hangar, starting from the odd marks on the ceiling. They weren't quite designed for detecting the heat signatures of organic life rather than allocating high heat emanations from machinery, but on a basic level, it should work. Unless he was out here wasting his time and this was all some elaborate prank.

A short, diminutive figure followed Hector onto the ship, stooping to pick up Hector's discarded cigarette butt with several choice words muttered under his breath. Haulrruxyy, or Haul, as he more commonly went by, glared daggers as sharp as his teeth into Hector's back, cursing his foul luck that he would have to be working with "the only dude" in engineering. Haul was used to being overlooked, and thus had only been mildly offended when he was not given the title of chief engineer of the Blackbird's Cry. But to be lackey to this buffoon who couldn't even throw his cigarette butt away, this littering oaf, truly made his teeth grind. The sound of his teeth grinding sounded like a few dozen tiny knives being sharpened simultaneously, a bad habit Haul had picked up from humans of all things, but it fit the moment.

Hector's longer legs took him quickly into engineering, but Haul wasn't far behind. Entering the engine access, Haul came to a stop and stared at the clown who was staring at the ceiling through dirty, smeared goggles.

"What are you doing?" Haul growled. "Cobweb hunting?"

Hector did a doubletake at the Zumolka now standing behind him, the Zumolka now having spoken to him. He'd be lying if he said, he wasn't a little caught by surprise but he figured the guy was here for a reason. He didn't like his tone, however. "What?" he asked in a derisive tone. "I know you might not be able to see up that high, 'lil guy, but peep your beady eyes over that way," Hector pointed upward at the marks on the ceiling.

"See those marks? They ain't up there for decoration," the chief engineer remarked. "Think we got ourselves a stowaway, you feel me? Sooner we get rid of this shit, the better."

"Must be a real big spider to make those kind of marks," Haul articulated, his inhuman vocal cords pronouncing the words slightly off, more melodic than what was perhaps expected. Haul tensed, then sprung up the wall, utilizing his toes and fingers to grip the wall easily. He investigated the marks, then sighed. "Probably last minute maintenance work. Greasy, sloppy."

Haul pulled out a cloth with his tail and began wiping away the marks. He peered over his shoulder at Hector.

"So you're the boss of engineering? Chief Hector Jordan, right? The name's Haulrruxyy," Haul said, his name's pronunciation emerging in a way no human voice would easily mimic. "Haul for short. They've got me doing the wiring for this place. Welding too. Squeezing into the tight spots you humans can't I suppose." Haul squinted at Hector. "You been on a voyage like this before Chief? Know what to expect?"

A wasp appeared abruptly as the captain entered, hovering inches in front of her place almost as if it were inspecting her. “Likewise, Captain,” Dr. Haliday replied, not looking up from where she stood over her desk terminal. The wasp investigating the captain was joined by a second, then a third, before a brief vibration of Dr. Haliday’s wings caused the trio to withdraw back to her thorax. If the captain didn’t know any better, she’d swear it seemed almost like a reprimand. “Forgive me, Captain,” Dr. Haliday said, waving away the files projected on the desk. “They can be… curious.”

Dr. Haliday finally looked over, lifting a digital clipboard with one chitinous hand. “Thank you for making the time to see me so quickly, Captain,” she began again, before looking back down at her desk and bringing up another selection of files. “I understand you must be very busy preparing for departure, and had assumed you wouldn’t be coming by until after we were underway. Just give me one moment while I make a list for you.”

"Bet you had to come up with that nickname quick..." Hector responded with a chuckle. "Ain't no way we about to pronounce that." He put away his goggles and gave another look at the marks. Last minute maintenance work. Wasn't impossible, but...every inch of this ship was clean so far. Seemed like a strange oversight in its presentation to have it scuffed up like this, however barely noticeable it was.

"But yeah, I'm Hector," he confirmed after a moment. "And nah, this my first time on board something like this. Every other time, I was on a ship, my lights were out. Went from point A, fell asleep, woke up in point B and that was that. As far as what to expect...I 'unno," Hector shrugged. "Just remember to stay in your lane and we'll be cool. That part's crucial, remember it," he pointed out, tapping his forehead for emphasis.

"And since you're here, help me take inventory real quick before our 'good captai'" decides to bless us with a long-ass speech."

12 Hours Before Launch​

"No, no, no…not now!"

Klaxons filled the single-seat cockpit, derailing Tristan's train of thought as the small, stolen shuttlecraft fell through Yal Yuan's atmosphere.

The red glow faded as the temperature outside the shuttle stabilized. The shuttle was in freefall, and Tristan struggled to keep the craft upright. Through the darkness, he could see the blinding lights of the Space Port in the distance and tried to steer the ship towards it.

The uncontrolled descent felt like hours. Tristan struggled to keep the craft headed towards the Space Port. The ship was dead in the water; he knew there was no way to land at the Space Port, much less contact them, not in a stolen shuttle.

"No choice…Dammit," Tristan cursed, pushing the stick forward. In an instant, the craft hit the dirt and plowed a trench 40 meters before stopping. Wires hung around Tristan's face. His helmet faceplate was cracked and venting oxygen, but he was alive. He sighed and removed the ruined helmet before reaching for the canopy controls.

The shuttle's canopy hissed open and stopped halfway; the servo motors that controlled the canopy took damage in the crash. Tristan pulled himself out of the ruined shuttlecraft and scanned the sky for any ships that may have followed him into the atmosphere or tracked his descent. Satisfied that no one was coming, he made his way on foot toward the Space Port.

4 Hours Before Launch​

The sun was rising as Tristan reached the main gate of the Space Port. He could see the sleek ships of the Avian Expedition on their launch pads, each one a monolith to the harmony of the universe. One ship stuck out to him, and he knew he would need to be on it when it launched.

The gate was already abuzz with activity. Getting through the gate on a visitor's pass was simple enough. After all, the missions that were about to begin were about peace. He couldn't help but feel the energy around him, the buzz of excitement, the excited tones in the voices around him. Universal Species from at least four galaxies and hundreds of star systems walked side by side. Tristan did his best to avoid the gaze of any Alfen milling about, he couldn't trust those of his race, and the flight uniform he wore would give away his allegiance.

As he wandered the Port, he watched as a grounds crewman stepped into an open hanger. Seeing an opportunity, he followed the crew members and made his way into the locker room.

"This area is off-limits," A gruff-looking human male began. He wore a crewmen's uniform and folded his arms across his chest. When Tristan didn't respond, the man grew irritated, "Do I have to say it again, Elf boy? Your kind truly doesn't understand a damn thing, do they?"

"You humans will never learn, will you? Last in the universe to gain intergalactic travel, but always first to anger and resort to insults."

The man lunged at Tristan, who sidestepped and grabbed the man by the shoulder, and he stumbled past. In a flash, the man was against the lockers; his arm bent uncomfortably up his back.

"Your kind is a slave to their emotions, and they will always betray you," Tristan muttered before slamming the man's head against the cool metal, knocking him unconscious.

It wasn't long before he found a Ground Crew uniform designed for Alfen. Though he hadn't seen any working the event, he was sure the uniforms were on hand as a gesture of solidarity and inclusion. He figured it was easier to have them on hand than to custom make them as new crew members were hired.

Tristan stepped back into the festivities and made his way toward the ship that had caught his eye. The boarding ramp was down, and a woman stood at the top looking over the building crowd. His eyes scanned for others wearing the same uniform he was and made his way over to a small crew headed for the same ship. Each was talking excitedly about being able to assist in the Blackbird's Cry's final checks before launch.

"The Blackbird's Cry," Tristan said, louder than he realized, garnering approving looks from the ground crew.

"Can you believe it? After all this time, the expedition is going to get underway!" A young female chirped excitedly. Tristan nodded with a smile in response. The tools they were pushing towards the ship were wrapped for loading, meaning they would be in inventory and stay on board.

"Hey, why don't you guys head back and find a good place to watch the launch? I'll finish loading these!"

The crew wasted no time handing Tristan the controls to the hover-cart and told him they'd save him a spot. Before hurrying off. He made his way toward the back of the ship, finding the receiving bay with ease. Growing up around ships, he quickly learned that they all followed a similar design no matter what species built it. A plan that seemed ingrained in every intelligent species' DNA, another way to someday meet and understand one another. A Grand Design, embedded in them all by a single creator.

"Well, here goes nothing."

Tristan stepped onto the loading dock and maneuvered the hover cart to where the tools would be on an Alfen ship. Close enough to the docking bay door for a ground crew to find them but far enough back to avoid them becoming projectiles in the case of depressurization. Once they were secured, Tristan began to walk around the docking bay, admiring the small landing craft that sat to one side. The hanger could easily hold a few more shuttles or even two or three fighters, yet the Captain opted for just the one shuttle.

A few moments passed, and the familiar whirl of engines powering up shook the ship. Lights burned brighter as systems kicked into life, The Blackbird's Cry was getting ready to leave dry dock, and he would go wherever it went.

Daytona swiveled the scanner left and right as he pointed it down into the hatch that lead to the last of the Blackbird's landing gears that he had to check. All readings came back negative and he withdrew the scanner. Bored, he shut the heavy hatch. Why did this ship have to have six landing gear struts?

The android stretched his neck side-to-side. Small hydraulic pistons hissed when his neck reached it's limit of motion. With a sound like the crack of bone, small bursts of hydraulic pressure were released. He looked down the passagway at the airtight door that lead to the hangar, then up the ladderwell at the door to engineering.
Which first?

He pointed the lifeform scanner at engineering, then towards the hangar just to see what it read. egglover egglover

To Daytona's surprise both ways he pointed lit up the lifeform scanner....

Tish watched the wasps retreat curiously. She was not afraid of wasps or Chalcidians, no, there was not much she was afraid of these days

"Oh, it's quite alright" the Captain stepped forward, "We must wait for the Condor to lift off before we can. Is everything up to standard, doctor? What's this about a list?"

Last edited:
Daytona cocked his head at the readings. The scanner was detecting lifesigns, but nothing specific for either space. It made sense that there were personnel in engineering, however. He noted the sound of the engine spooling up.

There wasn't supposed to be anyone in the hangar though. The ground crew should have been done loading cargo by now.

Daytona walked up to the doors terminal. There, he also saw that the loading ramp was indicated to still be down. Deciding to investigate, he pressed the key to open the doublewide-door. With a hiss, it began to slowly raise.

“I had hoped to perform physical examinations on the rest of the crew,” Dr. Haliday explained. “I understand they already received exams as part of the recruitment process, but I felt it would be prudent in my role as chief medical officer to perform redundant examinations in person.”

Dr. Haliday checked the contents shown on the digital clipboard against the files displayed on her terminal one last time, then shut off the desk’s projecting screen. She stepped around the desk, meeting the captain where she stood at the entrance of the medical bay. “Some of the crew have yet to report for examination however. I had assumed you would be making preliminary rounds of the ship now that the expedition is underway, yes? If you could, would you let them know they need to come to medical when they have time?”

Gideon moved down the hallway, light and silent as a feather. He passed by his crewmates with a courteous nod and floated along towards his office. It was somewhat small and out of the way in the Medical Wing of the ship.

The room's design was inviting to those entering inside, and Gideon appreciated the attention to detail, even if there was very little here. Near the opposite wall from the door was a large desk and chair where the main computer was located. At the middle of the room was a small coffee table with a couch nearby. To the side of the couch was a chair, separated only by another small corner table that had a lamp on it. The furniture looked like those you would find at many homes, pulling your senses to the nostalgic. They were custom-made, comfortable, and sturdy. He shouldn't have to worry about needing different furniture for the various races on the ship, as it all could be adjusted in a myriad of ways to allow sitting or laying down, changing the design and comfort level. The lighting was excellent and one wall was made to imitate glass, as if you were viewing out into a garden in the middle of the ship with the sunlight flowing down and into the room. Gideon felt very happy. This would be perfect for any crew member who needed a safe place to speak or think. Therapy could do wonders for those who were mentally or emotionally stressed.

Moving to the desk, Gideon prompted the computer to open an intercom channel for the ship. His cheerful, kind voice sounded smoothly throughout the ship, "This is Dr. Gideon Corvus, Therapist and Linguistics Expert, speaking. I hope you are enjoying your first moments aboard this beautiful ship of ours and I want to extend a personal welcome to you all. As a quick reminder, stress affects us all in many ways and is bound to happen to those who work closely with others, especially in our stations here. Your relationships, communication, and teamwork with all of your crewmates is vital to succeed on this mission. We all want you to succeed and feel proud of what we will accomplish on this Expedition together. Therefore, if you ever feel the desire, no matter how slight or necessary, please feel free to stop by my office located in the Medical Wing. If you have any suggestions for improving our processes or customs, there is an anonymous survey or form you may fill out whenever you choose. Make sure to introduce yourself to the other crewmembers around you, get to know each other, and explore the ship. Come visit whenever! This will be our home for a while now. I pray we will all get along excellently. Thank you for your time."

"That shouldn't be a problem," Tish nodded, "Some of them may need some extra convincing, eh? I suppose we'll reach that hurdle when we get to it, even if we have to drag them to this room."

The Captain smiled easily, knowing that her comedic words were not, in fact, a joke at all and they would actually have to drag some people into this room for a medical examination. Tish was not an idiot. She knew there were some uncomfortable with a Chalcidian doctor, but she would not let prejudice against other races control her ship. Anagra Haliday was a skilled medical practitioner and took her job seriously. This request for more thorough examinations was proof enough.

Suddenly the ship rumbled to life beneath their feet.

"Ah, I hope you are ready, Dr. Haliday. It seems it is finally time to lift off."

music ban1.jpg
Captain Suleiman left Dr. Haliday's office and traversed through the Blackbirds Cry. Down the hall from medical she spotted Jill and Mari conversing in their lab, rushed motions between the two indicating a need to unpack their personal equipment before the ship took off. Beside their room was Gideon's office, where the Warbhu linguist was making a quick announcement to the crew before lift off. Tish gave an approving nod as she continued into the elevator. Up one level was Capriole, Naomi and Eichkern, conversing together whilst the Chef began to prep what she would need for tonight's big dinner. Tish stopped at the topmost deck and the elevator doors opened up to the bridge. She gave Matias a curt nod as she passed him and swept the floor into the pilots deck where Choon-Hee was preparing the final stages for lift off. Out of the large window the Captain could see the rest of the fleet leaving the tarmac into the big, beautiful blue sky above.

"I suppose I should make an announcement." Tish glanced at her pilot before picking up the ships intercom and, with a breath, began to speak.

Good morning, everyone. This is Captain Suleiman speaking. In t-minus 30 seconds we are about to lift off from Yal Yuan and join the rest of the fleet of the Avian Expedition. It is my honor to be serving you as Captain for this trip, and I hope to meet all of you officially as soon as we're in the sky. Whilst I know that we're all excited to be apart of this great journey, may I remind you all to be on high alert. Until we reach our first destination at the supermassive black hole Megalomorchen UOX-35 we must expect pirates and interlopers attempting to intercept the expedition...

Down into the bowels of the Blackbird was where Daytona stood at the hangar door, his lifeform scanner beeping incessantly and echoing in the darkness against Tish's voice. Deep within the cargo Tristan sat with a held breath, watching the Android through a gap in one of the boxes. Not so far away in the engine room Hector and Haul bickered together, completely ignoring everything the Captain was saying. The mysterious janitor stood idly by the engine room, unseen by all.

Finally, it is my ultimate mission to get you all back home safely one day, but I am aware that anything can happen in the unknown cosmic deep, so with that in mind we must prepare for everything. I am trusting you, my crew, as you are trusting me. Thank you for joining the RS Blackbirds Cry.

A small click and what followed the Captain's voice was silence. Then, with a deep rumble and a slight jolt beneath their feet, it was time to lift off. The Avian Expedition was officially underway.

"Well said, Captain," Matias said, nearly expressionless as always but feeling a tinge of excitement nonetheless. He had spent most of his life around Europa, so a journey into the unknown... This would be a challenge the likes none of them would have seen before. It was as close to exhilaration as the first officer ever allowed himself.

Matias glanced down at the Blackbird Cry's pilot. "Choon-Hee, how does she feel?" he asked the pilot as the ship lifted. "Have you flown something this size before?"

Haul felt the rumble of the ship, and dropped from his position near the ceiling. He scampered quickly to the engine diagnostics, looking over the readings with a practiced eye. "As expected, purring like a kitten. No hiccups in power, no fluctuations in fuel intake. Pilot up there knows what she's doing I see. Good enough, good enough."

Haul tapped the monitor. "Built a few engines like this one myself, or more accurately helped wire them. This one's a bit more extensive, probably on account of the length of the trip I'd reckon. What d'you think Chief?"

The moment Jill was fully boarded onto the Blackbird's Cry, their fingers flew to the topmost button on their suit, swiftly working their way down in practiced routine until it was off in a matter of seconds. Underneath was a cozy blue pajama shirt with the words "I Love Moon" printed on it, with two moons instead of O's. The pants would've come off too, had there not been more than professionalism at stake. This would be everyone's new home for the indeterminate future; they were simply choosing to break the ice early. The suit did look nice, admittedly, but they weren't going to dress to impress if there was... nobody to impress.

They waved to Mari with a warm smile as she approached.

"I remember all of my colleagues. It's good to see you again." Adjusting their glasses with the tip of their middle finger, they continued, "You can take as many days off as you'd like, until we have something to survey. As for me..." Jill flicked through their email on their phone, producing notifications for over three thousand unread messages on screen. "I've got to answer as many of these as I can before we lose connection..."

They trailed off, suddenly realizing something.

"Oh, actually, scratch that. Starting tomorrow, we need to catch you up to speed. Go over my notes, mess around in the lab if it helps you visualize. We only have a handful of researchers on hand, so our peer review work has to be flawless." Clicking open their suitcase with a press of the thumb, they shoved their other hand in and blindly fumbled around without looking, before eventually fishing out an unmarked data disc. A dusty blue artifact, in this day and age. "Here. Let me know if the ship's hardware can't read it, since apparently--" Jill paused to dramatically huff at their bangs. "--nobody cares about backward compatibility. Anyway, if you have any questions I'll be in my room."

With that, they headed off toward the bridge elevator, glancing up only briefly as the captain's voice echoed around the metal walls.

Last edited:
Haul felt the rumble of the ship, and dropped from his position near the ceiling. He scampered quickly to the engine diagnostics, looking over the readings with a practiced eye. "As expected, purring like a kitten. No hiccups in power, no fluctuations in fuel intake. Pilot up there knows what she's doing I see. Good enough, good enough."

Haul tapped the monitor. "Built a few engines like this one myself, or more accurately helped wire them. This one's a bit more extensive, probably on account of the length of the trip I'd reckon. What d'you think Chief?"
"Most engines shit themselves in about three years tops. This one...they made this to last a decade," Hector answered, walking over towards the engine, appreciating the efficiency of its design up close. The tone of his voice gave the rare indication that something had impressed him. "We keep up regular maintenance, and I'm talking daily upkeep and it'll last another two." Hector didn't expect to feel so...hyped up by all this. Takeoff was something he just happened to take for granted he supposed. But this kind of elation....it was the kind of excitement he hadn't felt since he was a kid.

He didn't even know how long their voyage would last, no one did. But already he was thinking up ways, the ship's already powerful engine could retain its energy output for years to come. A ship like this deserved a long life full of admiration and respect, even after the voyage was over and he parted ways with it. He would ensure, you could bet on that....and yeah, you know, Haul could help too.

"Shit's running smoothly though, I'mma do some more diagnostic checks before I head back upstairs and handle my medical business," Hector explained. He hadn't bothered hadn't had time to go in for a physical before the ceremony, but he figured there would be a chance to make up for it once he actually boarded the ship. It wasn't purely out of necessity since while Hector was a career risk taker, there was one thing aside from machinery he put the utmost care into and that was his own health. Don't let the smoking habit fool you.

"Matter of fact, lemme do a diagnostics run of the whole ship while I'm up there," he decided, grabbing a data pad from atop a nearby crate. "Hold shit down while I'm gone, I'll send you the specs...And hey," he snapped his fingers and pointed at Haul. "I know you said the shit was some last-minute maintenance or whatever the fuck, but just...stay on the lookout, you feel me?" he insisted before leaving.

332600_iUD7D9iV.pngNaomi Hart
Interaction: obscured_light obscured_light (Capriole) PiePillager PiePillager (Hector) Pacificus Pacificus (Daytona) Lord Saethos Lord Saethos (Eichkern)
Mentioned: N/A

As the man started to introduce himself, he was interrupted by someone else. Another man standing a little further along the the trio. Naomi frowned a little bit, it wasn't like they had stopped boarding completely. But she had learnt over the years that some people, were real sticklers for rules. Hector didn't seem bothered by it as he quickly continued with his introduction. He was the engineer, the man, their go to guy for repairs and tools. This was good to know given Noami was certain she would need to recalibrate her rifle, sidearm, and armor which would have been delivered to the Blackbird's Cry this morning. Personal effects were her own responsibility. "Nice to meet ya Hector, I looked forward to working with you," Naomi said just as he turned away to go off on his own way. It was about then Capriole would speak again, thanking Naomi for her suggestion as they headed aboard.

It was abundantly clear to Naomi immediately that this ship was not necessarily meant for an all military staff. Of course that made sense, but the color coding...while it was handy Naomi wondered if that was truly efficient? Signs would work well enough, Naomi was used to just numbers and letters. Though of course, that was an attempt at efficiency and confusion if any ships were boarded by hostile parties. It was only when she looked back to Capriole Naomi noticed that another person had joined them. "Oh there better be a good Moscato on board," Naomi chuckled when the man mentioned alcohol. It may seem like an odd choice for a solider, but when Naomi drank she drank to enjoy it. And who really enjoyed the nasty stuff? She was all for sweet wine and fruity cocktails. She loved the false confidence it gave to do things like...no. If Naomi thinks about it, she might feel the want to do it again. Never again. So instead she focused on the conversation between Capriole and the new man, who...was admittedly a little creepy, but Naomi also thought the bug people were a bit creepy. Did she hate them? No, they were people. Did they help her get over that fear of beetles? Also no.

"Cheif Petty Officer Naomi Hart," The woman spoke for the second time of many after the man introduced himself. "You two have fun up hear, I'm gonna go find my gear," Naomi said with a smile. She'd most likely be back later, but for now, she wanted to explore a bit before everything really got started. Currently on deck two, Naomi figured that if this ship was really meant for scouting missions, her gear would be in the hangar, no doubt with any extra vehicles and supplies she and the other soliders aboard would need. Though it could be with security, but that was more for arming everyone else with standard arms. At least if Naomi's assumption was correct... she'd find out soon enough. It was easy enough to find her way through the ship and down into the third deck, where Naomi would then head down to deck four and finally into the hangar.

For the most part, it was a bunch of crates and other containers, not to mention the vehicles which wasn't a surprise in the slightest. But something caused the hair on the back of her neck to stand on end. An Android. Now, Naomi didn't hate them, nor would she ever be rude to one. But according to years of therapy, her being nervous around them after watching Androids murder a bunch of people as a child...her nerves were normal. They still made her feel like shit, but...Naomi cleared her throat to make herself known. "Last minute inspection?" The woman asked as their Captain's voice came on over the intercom, approaching the Android while keeping an eye out for what she came down there for. And might have spotted it off in an odd corner. "Don't mind me then, came down here to check on my gear," She added, giving the Android a smile before walking off to inspect the curious corner she spotted. And it would turn out her suspicions we're correct.

She first spotted a wall of lockers, each with a space for a name. Hart, Namoi was written on the one closest to a weapons bench. Engineering could of course handle repairs and what not, but soliders liked to handle certain things on their own, such as weapon modifications. There was a secondary workbench as well on the opposite side of the lockers for their armor. Both were fitted with all the tools they could need, and if they ended up missing something, engineering no doubt would have it. Naomi let out a small sigh, finally putting her rucksack down to approach her locker. She had picked a code already, and after two tries, once putting the numbers in in the incorrect order, there was a small hiss as the vacuum was broken. "Huh," Naomi mumbled. That was new, but made sense considering the nature of this mission. As likely as they were to find some new plants, they could find some weird space illness. Specialized lockers would help prevent that. Inside her locker was her gear, someone having go already put it away. And from the way it was set up...she could assume it was her father. The thought caused the young woman smile, reaching in to pick up her side arm. Might as well clean it while she was down there...

With Naomi gone, only Eichkern remained. That would need to change however as Capriole sensed the approaching sous chef and cooks that would be looking to her for direction.

"A decent, hot, and tasty meal. Moscato. All of these recommendations shall be filed for consideration. It has been a pleasure, Eichkern, but I must ask that you vacate the premises of the kitchen. The kitchen shall be full of activity and thus, to follow health and safety protocols, I would prefer only authorized staff until the meal is complete. Therefore please be careful on your way out."

Without waiting for a response, Capriole turned to begin her preparations for the first meal the crew would share. A feast, Capriole thought as she adjusted her chef hat, a feast for all.

~*~

Mari inspected the disk in her hands with some scrutiny. To think that Glasscock would carry such a thing around still, it perplexed her. Then again, humans were sentimental beings, attached to their old ways and past. Not like Mari had much room to talk. Her people, her friends, the cascade of memories as she coiled again, about to relax once more...

She shook her head and quickly straightened out. How absurdly prone she was to distraction! Mari sighed and she chastised herself, looking around the lab where she would undoubtedly spend much of her time. There were all sorts of tools and devices for collecting, analyzing, and testing the samples they were bound to collect. Paperwork and notes and checklists for procedures and observations. In the back of the room was an interface that lit up the moment Mari touched it, prompting her for a pass code.

Typing it in, Mari chuckled to herself as she considered making the passcode, "RockemSockem1" but didn't know if Glasscock would find it so funny. Though, judging by her superior's choice of wardrobe once they were boarded, she didn't think it would be dismissed either. It did make her consider dressing more casually the next day however.

Tristan had finished placing the tool bench, which he'd assume was the best place, and made his way toward the boarding ramp. He knew this ramp was only used for maintenance and wouldn't likely be lowered again until the ship entered drydock, which would only be likely in an inspection.

The ramp amended and clicked into place, sealing itself against the obsidian hull of the Blackbird's Cry. Satisfied, Tristan turned to investigate the shuttlecraft. A slight hiss of air drew his attention to the far side of the hanger.

"Shit," he muttered, reaching for his flight belt.

He removed a small orb from a buttoned pouch and clenched it tight in his palm. In an instant, Tristan was gone, hidden behind a veil of active camouflage. He soundlessly stepped toward the shuttle and pulled himself up onto the hull, and laid flat against the smooth metal.

A few seconds passed, and Tristan peered over at the Android sweeping the Hanger bay for lifeforms. He only hoped the active camouflage worked correctly after the crash and would also hide his heat signature. Organic life forms would feel their scanners were malfunctioning if they couldn't see the origin of the heat signature with their own eyes. Androids, however, would trust their tools and investigate.

A human slipped into the hanger a few seconds later and, after acknowledging the Android, made her way to the equipment lockers and workbench that occupied the wall to Tristan's left. He realized he was holding his breath now, praying the Android would leave now that a crew member was around and working.

The hum of the ship's engines grew, and an announcement over the ship's information system by the captain made Tristan's heart beat faster. Every second that passed was one second closer to the void, back to the stars, and what he hoped would also mean mercy should he be found aboard the ship.

Daytona strode into the hanger, following the scanners readings. Immediately after entering, the signal disappeared then reappeared after a second but in a different spot. What?

"Last minute inspection?"

Daytona looked up to see a crewmember, one of the soldiers. He looked down at the scanner, then around the hangar. His "eyes" fell upon on the shuttle, which he stared at for a second. Something felt off.

He turned off the scanner and lowered it to his side. "Yes. Routine stuff." He said in his deep metallic voice.

"Don't mind me then, came down here to check on my gear,"

Daytona nodded, and took a few steps around the room. He felt the ships movement beneath his feet as it took off. He held up the scanner again. He activated it and pointed it at Naomi. Her lifesign was slightly different from the one he had initially read.
Was the scanner malfunctioning? No. Illogical.

He lowered the scanner and asked the soldier. "Excuse me. Chief Naomi Hart, is it? Exactly how long ago did you enter the hangar?"

FireMaiden FireMaiden
Wing06 Wing06

Eichkern grinned slightly at the mention of the Moscato, something he'd never had himself, but there was at least one occasion where some of his comrades (some women) had taken to ordering cocktails and other highly over priced drinks. He couldn't recall where it was again, but some pleasure planet, lots of beaches, beautiful landscapes, leisure activities, parties, and casinos. Was probably a corporate planet?

"Pleasure to meet you as well Miss Hart, and I'm sure we shall. If you find out when cocktail hour is, be sure to let us know so we can have some real fun!" With that, the Chief Petty Officer was gone. Eichkern could tell she was a little put off by him, perhaps not severely, but it was hardly uncommon. The range of responses he received tended to go between revulsion, to uncomfortable levels of fascination and fixation. Of course, some people didn't have quite the same struggle with treating other people as... Well, people.

The chef turned to him now, asking him (in polite terms) that they would need him to exit the kitchen. He took a quick look around, only now realizing it was, indeed, the kitchen. Perhaps all the shiny, brand new metal around the ship threw him off, could have been a science lab for all he knew before, but it certainly made much more sense now.

"Of course, by all means chef. I wish you a pleasant time preparing the ship's first ever meal!"

Eichkern turned and left. As he made his way down the hall's he could hear the noise die down for a few moments as the Captain's voice rang out over the ship's communication's systems. A short speech, to the point, and with a hint of sentimental sweetness. Was always hard to tell if 'superiors' truly meant the words they spoke, but from his experience, he knew that some most certainly did. He hoped to count Captain Suleiman among them.

It took the Deimosian a few moments to find where his gear was located, but eventually he stumbled across the special tactics room. It wasn't a large room (they certainly were hoping it wouldn't have to be), but it held a considerable amount of equipment, and it would predominantly be occupied by Eichkern and anyone fit enough to work with him. The whole point of the room was to have the equipment necessary for planning and executing special tactical operations, but not strictly in the 'security' sense. Anything could happen in space and on other planets. When your comrades are in danger, when they're trapped, perched precariously on a knife's edge...

This room is what is meant to save them.

Beyond being outfitted with various weapons (locked away, as per the security protocols no doubt), the room had plenty of rescue equipment as well, including medical devices, climbing gear, emergency rations, heat and cold resistant barriers, and much more. There computers, a display table in the center of the room, and various other pieces of equipment that could be used to combine the brilliance of the ship's crew for planning rescue operations. Geographical and navigational equipment, mapping systems, even a few things he was told would be useful for the resident 'rockologist', though Eichkern was uncertain how much help they'd require of them, but he also wasn't entirely certain about all the science behind rockology.

Once he was confident in everything he'd seen, he found a note that indicated where his quarters would be. Time to dress more for the part, he supposed. Eichkern made his way to his quarters, and upon getting there found the equipment he'd asked to be delivered to the ship, minus... His armor? Must have been placed in an armory, which he supposed made some sense. It was rather bulky and hefty when not being worn. Still, he had his clothes and sword, and it appeared his pistol may still be packed away too? No need for it though, didn't want to scare any of his crewmates, having a Deimosian walking around with a pistol on hand.

He quickly began changing out of his formal suit, and began changing into something he was more accustomed to. As he changed, he realized there was sleeping quarters set up for someone else too. He'd be sharing his space, it seemed. No matter, wouldn't be the first time, nor last he suspected. As Eichkern finished buckling his black uniformed pants around his black, high collared undershirt, he thumbed the crest on his Red Jacket.

____________________________________________________________________________________
"Kern..."

"Yes Sir?"

"Do you know what unites us all? All creatures in this universe?"

Eichkern smirked slightly and shrugged at Reinhardt's question. "Are we actually united?"

The older man nodded with a wry smile.
"We are indeed. I know this may sound so antithetical, but I think it's our differences that unite us."

The Deimosian raised an eyebrow, slightly confused. "There's more than a few people who'd disagree with you there Reinhardt. Quite a few, in fact."

"That's because the thing that divides us is the refusal to respect, appreciate, even love, those differences. Treating difference, uniqueness, as a bad thing, is not something I think is natural, to any species. We're all inherently curious, drawn to the unfamiliar. Sometimes it scares us, yes, but despite our fear of the unknown, we still seek it out."

Eichkern held his hands clasped together on his lap, before turning to look out over the horizon. He and Reinhardt, along with a small group of others from the Regiment, had perched themselves on top of a mountain after a long hike. Behind them stretched mountains for miles and miles all around, out to the horizon. But in front of them stretched a bright blue ocean, stretching out to the other ends of the horizon.

"Don't you think you're oversimplifying things a bit?" He spoke, a little more seriously.

Reinhardt chuckled.
"Perhaps I am. I'm sure we all have our faults to work on. But, first and foremost I think, learning to treat differences with love instead of hate, appreciation instead of fear, trying in good faith to have respect for every person, and for them to respect you, these are the ways you start to end conflicts and build cooperation. At least, that's what I believe."

The Deimosian smiled, nodding along in partial agreement. "Well, careful with that talk. Might put us out of business."

The older man sighed softly and smiled, looking out at the horizon.
"Would that be such a bad thing?"

____________________________________________________________________________________
Eichkern finished buttoning up his jacket, buckled his sword belt around his waist, and sheathed his sword. He took a moment to observe himself in the mirror, double checking everything was in place.

Now he was properly dressed. Eichkern gave an approving smile, packed away his suit and other belongings, and left the sleeping quarters.

He headed in the direction of the ship's bridge, where he assumed it might be prudent to meet with the Captain, and hopefully some other members of the crew.

Matias glanced down at the Blackbird Cry's pilot. "Choon-Hee, how does she feel?" he asked the pilot as the ship lifted. "Have you flown something this size before?"
Choon-Hee was ecstatic but tried desperately to control her emotions and fly straight without any fancy maneuvers. The Blackbird's Cry responded gracefully to the slightest touch. The controls were buttery smooth and calibrated to pinpoint precision. She had complete confidence in the ship's capabilities.

"Not without a co-pilot, sir," Choon-Hee smiled over her shoulder back at the First Officer. "But this ship is just small enough that it only requires one pilot. Feels wonderfully responsive so far. If those engineers are as good as I have heard, I expect to never see a problem with the ship's performance."

Hector moved back up the stairs to the Engineering Office. Taking a brief moment, to check and swipe over the LCD screen hovering above his desk, minimizing the engineering files on display to access a map displaying the ship's layout. He was in the Technical Deck, which also housed the Medical Wing. Not wanting to waste any more time, he quickly went his way, scanning the ship and taking notes of its specs in his datapad. He'd hit up the Science Wing after his visit to Medical in order to check and see if their equipment was running well.

Arriving at the door to Medical, he took a quick glance at the sign outside, displaying the name of the Chief Medical Officer, Dr. Haliday. Knocking on the automatic door before it opened itself, Hector gave a greeting. "Hey yo, Doc! What's good? Need you to get my med papers processed. Didn't get a chance before I boarded!"

"I like to hear it," Captain Suleiman smiled approvingly to Choon-Hee, "Just remember to take frequent breaks, eh? We've got our AI to cover for you - ah! Which reminds me, I should introduce you two to Wallace. Wallace, say hi."

A digital, masculine voice sounded from the control board, "Hello, I am Wallace iX, your onboard Artificial Intelligence for the RS Blackbirds Cry. I am here to assist you on your journey."

"Good. Well, First Officer Kingsbury, Pilot Su, I must go and run some errands. Get comfortable, and if you need me for anything just call."

Tish gave them a curt nod as she left the pilot deck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back