Chitchat Coronavirus Buddies?

2 week "soft closure" of schools over here in Utah. I can't complain: grades are fine, I've been meaning to play more Kerbal Space Program anyway.

My mom is working from home... which is something she can do normally anyway. Biggest issue is, again, the mass hysteria and hoarding. Seriously, people need to calm the f*** down.

2 week "soft closure" of schools over here in Utah. I can't complain: grades are fine, I've been meaning to play more Kerbal Space Program anyway.

My mom is working from home... which is something she can do normally anyway. Biggest issue is, again, the mass hysteria and hoarding. Seriously, people need to calm the f*** down.

Except that might not be the case. See over here in the west, we gave lots of pandemics to the First Nations populations, but never really dealt with one ourselves. We are so used to saying, "it's nothing. Just a hyped of flu. It'll blow over!" that it's become reflex. We'd rather assume and hope it will deal with itself than actually buckle down and take it seriously. I heard the same thing with west nile, n1h1 and Sars. it's what we tend to say.

Problem is that this thing is a slippery, dangerous animal from the perspective of a virus. It may have a low mortality rate among healthy adults, but it spreads at an alarming rate. Combine that with a rather long incubation period, you're dealing with mass exposure and difficulty containing it in a timely fashion (hence the widespread closures).

It as already jumped to canines, and we don't know just how easily this thing will mutate. This could very likely be round 1.

And this is more than a pesky flu. It attacks the respiratory system primarily, and those with preexisting health issues are highly vulnerable.

Many people in my area are saying things like "It was started by the Chinese government," or, "It's only to make money from the panic."

More money is being lost from the closures than super markets and drug stores are making from the panic. When the richest people in the world hit the flush lever on the stock market to get their money out, you should have known something very serious was happening. A ton of money has been lost and business disrupted by this virus. Don't kid yourself in thinking it's some sort of Y2K'ish game.

Yeah, people hoarded a lot the first two days but luckily my family buys necessities like canned goods and toilet paper in bulk when it’s on sale. Unfortunately we ran out of Nutritional yeast (I think that’s what it’s called in english) the day before the danish prime minister announced all educational facilities closed so we were stuck making sourdough bread, which is kind of wack. Luckily we researched and found a reliable way to make puffy sourdough bread. As I type this I realize it’s pretty stereotypical that my only worry as a Dane is the quality of my daily bread, rather than getting sick or someone I know dying. It would suck if my grandma got afflicted, seeing as she’s my only grandparent left and her chances of survival are somewhat slimmer than most. You can’t really worry about something you can’t prevent though so I’ll just chill and do my homework and assignments while playing league I guess. Stay safe.
Hey, bread’s delicious. I’d worry too. Stay safe!

I'm not going to school for three weeks giving that spring break is just around the corner. I still have to do schoolwork at home though (also known as e-learning) but this will be the last week for this one.
Same thing is happening with my school and stuff. Stay safe!

Yeah, I agree. It’s great to be prepared but mass hysteria and hoarding are not the way to properly do that.

More money is being lost from the closures than super markets and drug stores are making from the panic. When the richest people in the world hit the flush lever on the stock market to get their money out, you should have known something very serious was happening. A ton of money has been lost and business disrupted by this virus. Don't kid yourself in thinking it's some sort of Y2K'ish game.
Yeah, stay safe!

Just yesterday the Governor of Ohio closed all restaurants and bars and the like so that you can only get carry-out or drive-through. You cannot go inside.

Yamperzzz Yamperzzz Same here in Washington State. It's good that they're enforcing social distancing but it sucks for a huge portion of the population that just lost their only income.

It’s great to see so many people talking on here. Made me smile.

As for a little update about myself, our schools have been shut down indefinitely. I’m not really sure what that means for all of our homework and graduation at the end of the year. There’s been a case if it in my city, which is kind of scary to think about. I’m still doing good, though. Stay safe everyone!

12 people in my county have the virus and only 70,000 live here. We have one death already.

Mandatory schools are closed.
Higher education has went to tele-education.
My job has made overtime unlimited for everyone if they want it.
Just got our first confirmed case of this mild flu in my city today.

Kaztastrophe Kaztastrophe
Oh um I hope you're kidding/being sarcastic on that last line there.
Hang in there!
I don't kid about health matters. If I were, it would be way more outlandish and entirely impossible with the common knowledge of the day.
Stay safe!
If I were to contract it the likelihood of anything bad happening to me, is less than nominal to nonexistant. Only people who have to worry are people with preexisting conditions which is identical with the common flu. This is nothing more than a new strain of the flu.

Last I checked:
Confirmed by the CDC as of March 13, 2020
USA alone this flu season, the normal flu has killed 22,000 sickened 222,000.
Covid19 has killed 41 sickened 1,864.

Why should I be concerned? The flu is the real problem.

Kaztastrophe Kaztastrophe
I totally hear you. I think it's smart to also be concerned about the flu, and the flu is also bad. I think it's good that you're staying calm and not panicking. I don't think you need to be concerned about yourself but please consider that a huge percentage of the world's population who ARE vulnerable are not expendable. While you might only feel mildly sick you could directly hurt or kill someone who is vulnerable by ignoring the threat the virus poses to them. With that being said I would urge you to do some research because a lot of what you're saying is not true.

Covid-19 is not the flu.

It has currently killed 8,248 people (including more than the entirety of the SARS outbreak in a single day).

It has sickened 207, 518 (although that number is a huge undercount due to testing capabilities)

A huge percentage of the world's population falls into the at risk category.

You're welcome to your opinion and I honestly feel like you're trolling. Stay safe and healthy and please don't spread negativity!

Last edited:
Covid-19 is not the flu.
Last I checked it has the same symptoms as the flu. I am reminded of the saying about something walking like a duck and talking like a duck. This is no different.

I honestly feel like you're trolling.
You're welcome to your feelings.

I am far more likely to get the flu and die. The people I live with are far more likely to get the flu and die. Everyone is far more likely to get the flu and die. No one freaks out over that, they accept it as a fact of life they have to deal with every year. This is no different.

This is no different.
Friend. That is simply and factually proven to be untrue. The death rate of covid 19 is far, far higher than the flu strains that are circulating right now. Up to ten to twenty times more fatal. Most people have antibodies to the RNA found in current flu strains, and there is research/understanding on how to treat the flu. We have no antibodies or long term research on covid-19. We don't know how to treat it, and again, the death rate dwarfs that of the flu - which is why it's so dangerous, and why people are taking appropriate steps to protect their loved ones. Again, nobody needs to panic but it deserves to be taken seriously.

Don't take my word for it though, if you're interested in educating yourself please read literally any recent article from experts. If you're not interested in educating yourself then please refrain from spreading false information on threads where people are trying to come together and support each other. Thanks.

Last edited:
Last i checked 22,000 US flu deaths is greater than world wide covid19 deaths. So no covid19 is not deadlier.

22,000 US flu deaths > 7,900 world wide covid19 deaths.

Provide numbers proving me wrong. If you cant I won’t listen to you.

Last edited:
Currently, in this moment, more people have died from the flu this season. This is true. However, the death rate is significantly higher with covid-19, and it is spreading very rapidly. I already explained how it's different in terms of research and what we can do to combat it. Again, the flu is bad, and covid 19 is also bad - I'm not sure why you're trying to make this comparison? Get your flu shot to protect your community, and be conscious of vulnerable people and try to limit social interactions while covid 19 is spreading. Regardless, this is a scary time for many people across the world, and trying to get attention by being contrarian is helping nothing. I know that everyone responds differently to a crisis and your method might be acting out in this way, you don't have to listen to me and I'm not interested in arguing with you. I genuinely hope that you stay well and wish you the best.

From the article:
The trial results is still months away.
Yes, that's the quote, "trial results is still months away" not are. Shitty journalism.

"For chloroquine, there is no proof that that is an effective treatment at this time. We recommend that therapeutics be tested under ethically approved clinical trials to show efficacy and safety.” — Janet Diaz, head of clinical care, WHO.

Looking at the "study" it also doesn't seem to be full peer reviewed so not really trustable yet, but I don't exactly doubt the results, although it's technically just a report, not a study. It's clearly not enough data to pump the drug into thousands of people. It's only been tried on 25 people, possibly none who were in critical condition.

Your source is terribly biased and irresponsible in terms of reporting.

Kaztastrophe Kaztastrophe Dude this is literally just a thread for people trying to be positive and kind to each other. If you want to argue on facebook or something, go for it, but can we just talk about nice stuff and be kind to each other???

What kinds of things are you guys doing to pass the time? I'm catching up on some reading and artistic projects.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back